Community support and updates to Ruby 2.2.2?

Rod Regier

Jun 13, 2017, 4:03:48 PM6/13/17
Sourced and installed Ruby 2.2.2 from VSI as OpenSource "no charge" V/I64
distribution.

$ ruby -v
ruby 2.2.2p95 (2015-04-13 revision 50295) [OpenVMS]

\\

Is there a community or volunteer(s) that are continuing to advance Ruby for V/I64?

Current stable release for OpenSource Ruby is 2.4.1 as of Mar/2017, which is a long way from 2.2.2 in 2015.

Thanks

lorin...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2017, 10:45:35 AM6/15/17
Yes, there's a small community of us (very small, so far) who support and advocate for the VMS port of Ruby. I've been using this v2.2.2 release for a couple of years now, and this version has been "quite adequate to task", where my focus has been primarily on using Ruby for sys-admin and general computing tasks (similar to my interests in it on Linux where I use v2.4.x primarily).

One of VSI's Open Source advocates, Brett Cameron, and I have been giving Ruby/VMS updates to the VMS Community at the annual VMS Boot Camp -- our submissions for sessions at the 2017 Boot Camp are "in", pending approval; Brett's been the primary resource for many of VSI's O/S ports. There's been significant activity and progress in providing Ruby interfacing to selected VMS system service and library routines, and we'll be reporting on those developments in September.

I'm pleased to see that VSI's commitment to Open Source Software is strong and focused -- but they've got limited resources and a lot on their plates. I believe that Ruby/VMS version updates would get attention roughly in proportion to activity and installed base, interest from the VMS community, etc. I've personally advocated for efforts to port/release Ruby v2.4 for VMS, with the caveat/understanding of limited resources, priorities, etc. Positive interest, installations and use will change those priorities appropriately. More visibility, advocacy and involvement will ditto.

Hope to see some of you at Boot Camp in September -- let's meet, plot and advocate for Ruby/VMS from there! The more the better! Thanks.
-- Lorin

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Jun 15, 2017, 10:55:55 AM6/15/17
Den 2017-06-15 kl. 16:45, skrev lorin...@gmail.com:
> On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 2:03:48 PM UTC-6, Rod Regier wrote:
>> Sourced and installed Ruby 2.2.2 from VSI as OpenSource "no charge"
>> V/I64 distribution.
>>
>> $ ruby -v ruby 2.2.2p95 (2015-04-13 revision 50295) [OpenVMS]
>>
>> \\
>>
>> Is there a community or volunteer(s) that are continuing to advance
>> Ruby for V/I64?
>>
>> Current stable release for OpenSource Ruby is 2.4.1 as of Mar/2017,
>> which is a long way from 2.2.2 in 2015.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Yes, there's a small community of us (very small, so far) who support
> and advocate for the VMS port of Ruby. I've been using this v2.2.2
> release for a couple of years now, and this version has been "quite
> adequate to task", where my focus has been primarily on using Ruby for
> sys-admin and general computing tasks (similar to my interests in it on
> Linux where I use v2.4.x primarily).
>
> One of VSI's Open Source advocates, Brett Cameron, and I have been
> giving Ruby/VMS updates to the VMS Community at the annual VMS Boot Camp...

Are there any material available on-line where one can get a view
of what Ruby has to offer for an old VMS sysadmin? :-)

Maybe some handouts from the BootCamp sessions?

Jan-Erik.

Arne Vajhøj

Jun 15, 2017, 12:06:35 PM6/15/17
On 6/15/2017 10:55 AM, Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
> Den 2017-06-15 kl. 16:45, skrev lorin...@gmail.com:
>> Yes, there's a small community of us (very small, so far) who support
>> and advocate for the VMS port of Ruby. I've been using this v2.2.2
>> release for a couple of years now, and this version has been "quite
>> adequate to task", where my focus has been primarily on using Ruby for
>> sys-admin and general computing tasks (similar to my interests in it on
>> Linux where I use v2.4.x primarily).
>>
>> One of VSI's Open Source advocates, Brett Cameron, and I have been
>> giving Ruby/VMS updates to the VMS Community at the annual VMS Boot
>> Camp...
>
> Are there any material available on-line where one can get a view
> of what Ruby has to offer for an old VMS sysadmin? :-)
>
> Maybe some handouts from the BootCamp sessions?

I think the VMS system manager (I still prefer that term
over the more universal system admin) would use Ruby
for the same tasks as he/she would use Python for.

Same purpose. Very different languages!

For general learning Ruby you should probably by the
pick axe book.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Jun 15, 2017, 12:08:47 PM6/15/17
On 6/15/2017 10:45 AM, lorin...@gmail.com wrote:
> Yes, there's a small community of us (very small, so far) who support
> and advocate for the VMS port of Ruby. I've been using this v2.2.2
> release for a couple of years now, and this version has been "quite
> adequate to task", where my focus has been primarily on using Ruby
> for sys-admin and general computing tasks (similar to my interests in
> it on Linux where I use v2.4.x primarily).

Can it run RoR?

Arne

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Jun 15, 2017, 12:09:06 PM6/15/17
OK, about what I thought it was... :-)

I'll check for some general Ruby information then...

Jan-Erik.

lorin...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2017, 1:50:09 PM6/15/17
The Pick-Axe book is indeed perfectly relevant to Ruby/VMS (you have to fill in the VMS-specifics with your own experience), but this is "real Ruby", no compromises. I use this book for the Ruby classes/training we provide, from beginner to advanced.

> Are there any material available on-line where one can get a view
> of what Ruby has to offer for an old VMS sysadmin? :-)
> Maybe some handouts from the BootCamp sessions?

I'm pretty sure that past Boot Camp presentations, including audio and slide-shows, are available online, but maybe only to BC-attendees(?)... Bill Pedersen would know. I'd be happy to share my slide-decks if you send me a PM/request here: lorin (at) rickernet.us

Yes, I'm old-school too, prefer "system manager," but I've had to update my terminology to embrace "sys-admin" too, so the youngsters would know what I'm talking about. ;-)

>Can it run RoR?
I'm not aware of any Rails-based websites actually running on VMS, although it should be duck-soup wrt Apache, WBEM, etc. I'm not much of a web developer, but RoR is highly Ruby-version specific, and tied deeply in to just-the-right-versions of Gems, etc (dependency hell like we'd never had to contend with in any of VMS's history). But I think it'd be doable, especially for someone with some serious RoR chops. Just not my cuppa... If anyone knows someone who's actually done a Rails website on VMS, I'd be glad to hear of it!

BTW, Brett's done some preliminary demo-work with accessing Rdb databases from Ruby/VMS -- another demonstration that Ruby's quite generally capable on VMS -- it's just early days yet, and more folks/hands will not doubt get much more accomplished.

On the other near-by Ruby thread, I think someone said (paraphrasing) that "Ruby's a lot like Python" (for sys-admin tasks?) -- Exactly. I just like Ruby *a lot better* ... -- Lorin

Jan-Erik Soderholm

Jun 15, 2017, 2:42:24 PM6/15/17
Den 2017-06-15 kl. 19:50, skrev lorin...@gmail.com:
> The Pick-Axe book is indeed perfectly relevant to Ruby/VMS (you have to
> fill in the VMS-specifics with your own experience), but this is "real
> Ruby", no compromises. I use this book for the Ruby classes/training we
> provide, from beginner to advanced.
>
>> Are there any material available on-line where one can get a view of
>> what Ruby has to offer for an old VMS sysadmin? :-) Maybe some
>> handouts from the BootCamp sessions?
>
> I'm pretty sure that past Boot Camp presentations, including audio and
> slide-shows, are available online, but maybe only to BC-attendees(?)...
> Bill Pedersen would know. I'd be happy to share my slide-decks if you
> send me a PM/request here: lorin (at) rickernet.us

Done. :-)

> Yes, I'm old-school too, prefer "system manager," but I've had to update
> my terminology to embrace "sys-admin" too,...

That must have been some auto-correction feature... :-)
Sorry for that...

> BTW, Brett's done some preliminary demo-work with accessing Rdb
> databases from Ruby/VMS -- another demonstration that Ruby's quite
> generally capable on VMS -- it's just early days yet, and more
> folks/hands will not doubt get much more accomplished.

Yes, Rdb access would be a must to do anything above some sime tests...

John E. Malmberg

Jun 15, 2017, 7:23:48 PM6/15/17
On 6/15/2017 9:45 AM, lorin...@gmail.com wrote:
> Yes, there's a small community of us (very small, so far) who support
> and advocatefor the VMS port of Ruby.
Can someone from that community make the Open Source on OpenVMS
Conference Call tonight at 23:00 EDT?

The announcement was posted on comp.os.vms on the 13th.

A link to notes from the calls is at:
https://sourceforge.net/p/vms-ports/discussion/call_topics

One of the issues we have been discussing is getting Perl and Python
able to use the GNV Bash shell and utilities.

Regards,
-John
wb8...@qsl.net_work

dym...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2017, 11:01:35 AM6/21/17
Hi, I'm a colleague of the OP and will add my "from the trenches" view of things ...

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 2:50:09 PM UTC-3, lorin...@gmail.com wrote:
> >Can it run RoR?
> I'm not aware of any Rails-based websites actually running on VMS, although it should be duck-soup wrt Apache, WBEM, etc. I'm not much of a web developer, but RoR is highly Ruby-version specific, and tied deeply in to just-the-right-versions of Gems, etc (dependency hell like we'd never had to contend with in any of VMS's history). But I think it'd be doable, especially for someone with some serious RoR chops. Just not my cuppa... If anyone knows someone who's actually done a Rails website on VMS, I'd be glad to hear of it!

Well, we did get RoR (a much older version) running on Ruby 1.8.7 (Alpha only), which I ended up (not by choice) the de facto maintainer of. Getting it to work was a painful learning process, and I'm afraid I don't have much that is usable out-of-the-box. When we needed to make it run on Itanium, we couldn't get the port to work and turned to JRuby 1.7 (in --1.8 mode for the sake of compatibility with the Alpha codebase), which, again with more pain, we managed to get working.

These days, I'm mostly out of the VMS Ruby game, and can't really guarantee my bosses would back me doing much more of it, but it would be very interesting indeed if a recent RoR on a recent ruby that ran on both Alpha and Itanium were to materialize. My biggest unanswered question from after taking a peek at the VSI kit is, where is the support for rubygems? I'd need at least rake, rspec, and then all the various gems that RoR depends upon to consider the VSI version a serious contender for what we've put together on our own.

Thanks,
Ben