Firmware AlphaStation 200-4 /233, where to get ?

Milton Cartes

Oct 18, 2017, 3:10:20 PM10/18/17
Hi, I'm Milton from Chile.
Someone can help me with the last version Firmware for AlphaStation 200-4 /233.
I need to download this Firmware.
Regards,

Hans Vlems

Oct 18, 2017, 3:14:57 PM10/18/17
What version has it running now?
May be it is the latest version, your Alpha is not exaxtly new. (Even to my standards :-) )

Hans

Milton Cartes

Oct 18, 2017, 3:51:24 PM10/18/17
Hi Hans, Thanks for your quick answer.
now I running Firmware Version 4.56. over Windows NT
but my problem is the following;
I want to Install a Firmware that permit me Install OpenVMS Because
the current Firmware only can use Windows NT.

Regards,

Milton

Stephen Hoffman

Oct 18, 2017, 4:22:17 PM10/18/17
On 2017-10-18 19:10:19 +0000, Milton Cartes said:

> Someone can help me with the last version Firmware for AlphaStation 200-4 /233.
> I need to download this Firmware.

Using anonymous access into the ftp.hp.com FTP server...

> $ ftp ftp.hp.com
> Trying 15.73.208.137...
> Connected to ftp.hpgtm.nsatc.net.
> 220 (vsFTPd 3.0.2)
> Name (...): anonymous
> 331 Please specify the password.
> Password: {whatever}
> 230 Login successful.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp> cd /pub/alphaserver/firmware/
> 250 Directory successfully changed.
> ftp> ls
> 229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||40536|).
> 150 Here comes the directory listing.
> drwxrwxr-x 3 32227 14180 4096 Sep 27 2007 current_platforms
> drwxrwxr-x 3 32227 14180 4096 Jan 24 2017 interim
> drwxrwxr-x 2 32227 14180 4096 Nov 23 2008 iso_images
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 32227 14180 6230 Nov 13 2007 license_agreement.htm
> drwxrwxr-x 3 32227 14180 4096 Jan 24 2017 options
> drwxrwxr-x 9 32227 14180 4096 Nov 23 2008 other
> drwxrwxr-x 5 32227 14180 4096 Oct 22 2007 retired_platforms
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 32227 14180 291554821 Apr 03 2007 v73.zip
> 226 Directory send OK.
> ftp>

Something as far back as the AlphaStation 200 will be under the
retired_platforms. Doc and the rest is also buried there.

Looks like...

/pub/alphaserver/firmware/retired_platforms/workstations/ASTN200

Read the doc, too, as ancient firmware to less-ancient firmware can
sometimes require an intermediate firmware upgrade or two.

Systems as old as the AlphaStation 200 also routinely exhaust the
battery, and that will cause the system console to always revert to
AlphaBIOS/ARC, and to forget the time and the settings.

Some of the boxes that far back were also so-called half-flash. See
sections 14.3.7.2 and 14.3.7.3 in the old OpenVMS FAQ:

http://www.hoffmanlabs.com/vmsfaq/vmsfaq.pdf

Also see the discussion of the mkboot tool in the FAQ, if you're not in
a position to need that. That tool is now at:

/pub/alphaserver/firmware/other/utility

Lots of stale links in the old 2006-vintage OpenVMS FAQ, too.

I don't remember off-hand if the AlphaStation 200 can boot the firmware
from CD, but for those Alpha systems that can, that CD firmware upgrade
path is easier and ISO images are available,

> The AlphaStation 200 offers a firmware failsafe loader, a way to load
> the firmware in the event of a firmware corruption. The failsafe loader
> can be selected manually, and will trigger an attempt to load SRM (and
> AlphaBIOS/ARC) firmware from an appropriately-formated floppy disk.
> With the enclosure cover off and the I/O bulkhead nearest you, look to
> the far edge of the board for three jumpers, J3, J2 and J1 from left to
> right. J2 is the failsafe loader jumper, and set to 1-2 to enable the
> firmware floppy load, and 2-3 for normal operations.
> To the immediate left and roughly at the middle of the leftmost memory
> SIMM slot, Jumper J6 enables flash ROM write operations. The jumper
> bridging over positions 1-2 enables writes, and is the default
> position. 2-3 disables writes.
> To trigger the failsafe (floppy) loader, switch the J2 FSL jumper, and
> ensure the J6 SROM is not write-protected. To revert, switch both back
> to the respective default positions.

I should probably upgrade and overhaul and drag the 'labs site back
online. Ah well, maybe another day.

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Milton Cartes

Oct 18, 2017, 4:37:12 PM10/18/17
Thank Stephen Hoffman , I'll continue step by step your recommendation.

Milton

David Froble

Oct 18, 2017, 6:15:20 PM10/18/17
I seem to remember that the AlphaStation 200 systems were half flash.
Got to wonder if that old floppy drive will still work? I don't have one
operational floppy drive. Not all bad, unless you just have to sue the floppy.

Milton Cartes

Oct 18, 2017, 9:20:56 PM10/18/17
Thank David, my units are available (Floppy and CD) but I don't know if my specifically AlphaStation has half flash.
I need to check for the moment can to see blue screen with some options.

Regards.

Hans Vlems

Oct 19, 2017, 2:17:15 PM10/19/17
Keep us informed Milton on your progress.
Hans
PS
Give us sime system details, like memory, disks, controller(s) will you?

Chris Scheers

Oct 30, 2017, 5:11:57 PM10/30/17
David Froble wrote:

>> Some of the boxes that far back were also so-called half-flash. See
>> sections 14.3.7.2 and 14.3.7.3 in the old OpenVMS FAQ:
>
> I seem to remember that the AlphaStation 200 systems were half flash.

IIRC, some AlphaStation 200s were half flash. A half flash system had
two of the four flash sockets populated.

We converted some to full flash by populating the empty sockets. It
wasn't tricky. Just snap in the chips.

Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: ch...@applied-synergy.com
Fax: 817-237-3074