Database Backups Failing

Patrick Sharma

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
Greetings,

I am having problems with my Database backups now and then.
I have logged this as an issue with Digital Local office.

I was wondering if some of you may have come across this errors and have
found the solutions
already and would shed some light to this.

I get requests on my console to "Quit" or "Continue" my backups.
The request keeps on coming when entering a reply/to=req_number "continue"

This is the command for my database backup.
$ rmu/backup /online /log /label=(tape1,tape2) -
Disk1:[CE_PROD.DATA.RDB]FJCERDB.RDB;1 -
drive:5219_27_0_FJC.RBF

This is the message in my log file:

%RMU-E-FATALERR, fatal error on _ITCS03$MKA500:[000000]5219_27_0_FJC.RBF;
-SYSTEM-F-PARITY, parity error
%RMU-E-FATALERR, fatal error on _ITCS03$MKA500:[000000]5219_27_0_FJC.RBF;
-SYSTEM-F-PARITY, parity error
%RMU-E-FATALERR, fatal error on _ITCS03$MKA500:[000000]5219_27_0_FJC.RBF;
-SYSTEM-F-PARITY, parity error

FYI - I am using RDB V6.1 and the drive is a TLZ07. Can there be something
with the drive? Or tapes
which I use?
I am using TLZ06 tapes and they are about 2-3years old. VMS
Version is 6.2.

Any help on this will be very much appreciated.

Regards, Patrick

Csaba Harangozo

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
I think this is a case of bad tape ( heavily reused ?) or dirty
tape and/or dirty tapedrive.It is a good idea to put in a cleaning
tape certridge to clean the drive anyway, it never hurts.
Usually if you getting the BACKUP message to reply : QUIT or CONTINUE
then it means that the BACKUP utility has given up ( an extensive
number of tries ) to put the data onto the tape. For me the
CONTINUE answer hardly ever worked and it is best to reply QUIT and
restart with a good ( new ) tape or after the cleaning of drive.
From the drive name I think you are using a SCSI tape drive. Those
small cartridges can be a nuisance sometimes. Also if I recall
there might be some cartridges of different lengths which might
not approved for some drives. I hope this helped.
Csaba
Patrick Sharma (psh...@itc.gov.fj) wrote:
: Greetings,

: I am having problems with my Database backups now and then.
: I have logged this as an issue with Digital Local office.

: I was wondering if some of you may have come across this errors and have
: found the solutions
: already and would shed some light to this.

OB
: I OBget requests on my console to "Quit" or "Continue" my backups.

[...]

* Csaba I. Harangozo | 'To err is human', said the hedgehog
* csa...@easy.com.au | as he dismounted a wirebrush.

Hoff Hoffman

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98

:
[...]

Your DAT tape cartridges may be worn, and in need of replacement. And
your DAT drive tape head itself may also be worn.

As a simple experiment, try a couple of new DAT cartridges. Also use a
DAT cleaner cartridge on the drive, to clean the head. Your hardware
service organization can also check the drive head wear for you, too.

According to the table in the Systems and Options Catalog, DAT media
is good for 2,000 head passes -- this is the number of times the tape
passes the head, and not the total number of BACKUPs performed.

-------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hof...@xdelta.ZZenet.dec.com
note to those folks not contributing spam -- there is no ZZ in my address

Saxman522

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98

I have seen this problem also, and as already noted it can fixed by using a new
tape. I have also been able to fix it temporarily (until they were able to
acquire new tapes) by reinitializing the old ones. It doesn't always work, but
for the 2 minutes it takes to init a tape, I usually try it first.

Rick Tierno
Compute This! Consulting