new PAKS and need new openvms

Bill Cunningham

Sep 22, 2016, 12:42:23 PM9/22/16
I received from HP my news PAKs that last til Oct '17. THe thing is my
openvms73.iso file became corrupt. IDK how but it did. Bunzip2 said it was
corrupt and it wouldn't load into the simh VAX emulator. I entered 'b dua0'
in ordeer to boot the file and the CPU ended with an error code. I forgot
what it was. Anyway I have to get a new file. I might scribble this one on a
CD-R. So do I just get back with HP Customer service?

Bill

Bill Cunningham

Sep 22, 2016, 12:46:00 PM9/22/16

"Bill Cunningham" <nos...@nspam.invalid> wrote in message

[...]

Oh yes, I received two PAKs. One says IA64. Now is this for another kind of
HP OS? Fr another architecture? I have a native AMD 64. VA and VMS 7.3 are
fine. Last time I only got 1 PAK.

Bill

Hans Bachner

Sep 22, 2016, 12:49:34 PM9/22/16
Yes, for another architecture - that OpenVMS runs on. Nothing to do with
your simh host.

The IA64 PAK is for OpenVMS on Integrity / Itanium.

Hans.

Steven Schweda

Sep 22, 2016, 12:57:23 PM9/22/16
> I received from HP my news PAKs [...]

Are we talking about Hobbyist PAKs?

> Bunzip2 said it was corrupt

What has bunzip2 to do with anything?

> and it wouldn't load into the simh VAX emulator.

When you did what, exactly?

> I entered 'b dua0' in ordeer to boot the file

And what's in/on DUA0?

> the CPU ended with an error code. I forgot what it was.

Yow. I knew what your problem was, but I forgot.

> [...] do I just get back with HP Customer service?

Did you read the PAK e-mail message? Did it say anything
relevant?

Bill Cunningham

Sep 22, 2016, 1:11:47 PM9/22/16

"Steven Schweda" <sms.an...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I received from HP my news PAKs [...]
>
> Are we talking about Hobbyist PAKs?

Of course.

>> Bunzip2 said it was corrupt
>
> What has bunzip2 to do with anything?

I kept the file as openvms73.iso.bz2. bunzip2 that bzip2 said use
recovery.

>> and it wouldn't load into the simh VAX emulator.
>
> When you did what, exactly?
>
>> I entered 'b dua0' in ordeer to boot the file
>
> And what's in/on DUA0?

openvms73.iso
set cpu 64m
set cpu idle=vms
set rq0 cdrom
set rq1 ra92
at rq0 openvms.iso
at rq1 vms
simh says 'new file'
b cpu...countsdown
b dua0.
CPU error. Not booting old openvms73.iso anymore.

>> the CPU ended with an error code. I forgot what it was.
>
> Yow. I knew what your problem was, but I forgot.
>
>> [...] do I just get back with HP Customer service?
>
> Did you read the PAK e-mail message? Did it say anything
> relevant?

Yeah. To come to this group.

Bill Cunningham

Sep 22, 2016, 2:55:59 PM9/22/16

"Steven Schweda" <sms.an...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Well I guess it says to email and HP will email a ftp link.

Steven Schweda

Sep 22, 2016, 4:00:35 PM9/22/16
> > Are we talking about Hobbyist PAKs?
> Of course.

That may be obvious to you, but you're not talking to
yourself, are you?

> > What has bunzip2 to do with anything?
>
> I kept the file as openvms73.iso.bz2. [...]

Of course. Even someone with my weak psychic powers
should have known that. I've never seen b[un]zip2 fail on
its own, so I'd guess that you damaged the ".bz2" file
somehow.

> Well I guess it says to email and HP will email a ftp
> link.

That was my guess too, but I didn't see your PAK e-mail
message. (Weak psychic powers again.)

If you learn how to ask a technical question, then you
might get better answers sooner. See, for example: