Migrating QNX to Linux

TW Burger

Feb 10, 2012, 8:10:10 PM2/10/12
I'm writing an article about migrating QNX based embedded systems and
PlayBook apps to Linux and Android. Has anyone any
experience/ideas/opinions with/on/about this?

Kenbo

Feb 10, 2012, 11:27:09 PM2/10/12
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:10:10 -0800, "TW Burger" <twbu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm writing an article about migrating QNX based embedded systems and
>PlayBook apps to Linux and Android. Has anyone any
>experience/ideas/opinions with/on/about this?

Well, you did ask for opinions.... The last two projects I've worked
on have been Linux. I sure miss QNX. With a lack of binary
compatibility, lack of determinism, crappy memory management that
relies on OOM killer thread to kill seemingly random processes,
licensing that turns programmers into lawyers, need to develop a
distribution plan for source code, and a need for on-site kernel
engineers for any serious embedded project I can't understand why
anyone would use it commercially on any project that has real
schedules and limited development resources.

As my last boss, "it's royalty free". Didn't help when nearly everyone
in the company got laid off at least partially due to missed deadlines
and unfixable kernel problems.

Linux kernel engineers do make a lot of money and are in high demand
so I guess it's good for something.

Lest you think I'm totally down on Linux I will say that it is an
excellent development platform.

Kenbo

Feb 11, 2012, 12:47:13 AM2/11/12
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:27:09 -0800, Kenbo <Ke...@NOqsolvJUNKMAIL.COM>
wrote:
I forgot to mention Linux's brain dead logic of overcommitting memory
when swap is disabled. Or the stupidity of sucking up memory for cache
when it's not needed, wanted or kills performance as it flushes to
slow media when the memory is actually needed for something useful.

Linux is a lot like Microsoft in that way, "We know what you need and
you don't".

TW Burger

Feb 11, 2012, 4:57:41 PM2/11/12
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:47:13 -0800, Kenbo <Ke...@noqsolvjunkmail.com>
Thanks, these are great points. I like QNX and dislike Linux (and Windows)
for the same reasons. There's also the question of security and Linux's
comparatively giant kernel.

TW Burger

Feb 11, 2012, 7:41:10 PM2/11/12
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:47:13 -0800, Kenbo <Ke...@noqsolvjunkmail.com>
I prefer QNX too. But ask yourself why are you developing in Linux and not
QNX?

There may be a strategic advantage in moving the development platform of
an embedded product from QNX to Linux. Ownership of QNX has gone from the
original company founded in 1980 to Harmon International in 2004 and to
Research In Motion (RIM) in 2010. Both Harmon and RIM wanted to build
in-vehicle infotainment systems based on QNX and RIM developed the
PlayBook tablet based on QNX and seems to have plans to develop QNX based
smart phones. RIM has recently seen market losses, a loss of prestige such
as the Halliburton switch to iPhone, and currently is undergoing some
corporate turmoil. Also, RIM is primarily a smartphone company that
developed a proprietary OS, not an operating system marketer or
development platform vendor.
These events raise the following questions:
• Will RIM’s problems jeopardize continued support for QNX?
• Will RIM abandon and sell or orphan QNX leaving the future in doubt?
• Will RIM stop licensing new versions of QNX or renewing older agreements
in order to monopolize QNX technology to its own advantage?
• Will RIM be able and willing to provide the services QNX developers
require?

Kenbo

Feb 12, 2012, 3:43:29 PM2/12/12
On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 16:41:10 -0800, "TW Burger" <twbu...@gmail.com>
My opinion is that Linux is becoming popular in commercial products
for reasons that have nothing to do with its technical capabilities.
Management perception is that no royalties means cheap (nothing could
be further from the truth) and that if others are using it, it must be
a smart thing to do. Strategic advantage you say? Seems the strategic
advantage may be to *not* use it rather than to jump on the same
bandwagon as everyone else.

Sure, something could happen to QNX, but if it does it won't have much
bearing on the technical shortcomings of Linux. It would only mean
that companies with the need for a more capable RTOS would look
somewhere else for a solution.

TW Burger

Feb 12, 2012, 8:06:27 PM2/12/12
On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 12:43:29 -0800, Kenbo <Ke...@noqsolvjunkmail.com>
You're right. If RIM was not going to follow through with QNX development
I'd buy the company off of them, recommit to hybrid open source licensing
and might even create an Ubuntu like platform so that you could have a
phone, tablet, laptop, workstation, and server running QNX and they could
all run the same software.

TW Burger

Feb 17, 2012, 6:33:32 PM2/17/12
On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 12:43:29 -0800, Kenbo <Ke...@noqsolvjunkmail.com>
It seems that Linux experience for a programmer is a good thing despite
your headaches:

"Eight in 10 (81%) survey respondents say that hiring Linux talent is a
priority in 2012. This pressing matter is particularly evident when Linux
demand is compared to hiring in other skill sets: 63 percent of hiring
managers are increasing Linux hires relative to jobs created in other
skill areas. The issue? A full 85 percent say finding Linux talent is
somewhat to very difficult, making Linux professionals some of the most
sought talent in 2012."
2012 Linux Jobs Report, Dice and The Linux Foundation February 16, 2012,
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/sites/main/files/dice_lf_linux_jobs_report_2012.pdf