Help : Partition Magic and Lost NTFS Clusters

EvHoskins

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 20:01:51 GMT, "Antony Owen"
<ow...@nermal.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm having the same problem, as the guy who posted this before :
>
>I have partition magic 3.03. I have 3 partitions. 1 is FAT, 2 is NTFS, 3
>is FAT. Win95 on 1, NT 4.0 SP3 on 2, Data on 3. I need to move and resize
>my NTFS partition. I have done it in the past. I do it from the Win95
>bootup (dualboot). The problem I have is two. First, powerquest is
>IMPOSSIBLE to contact. I sent email and have called many times. When you
>call, a toll call, a machine answers and says to call back because they are
>busy and then HANGS UP. No option to hold even though it is my dime.
>Anyway, the problem I am having with partition magic is that it reports I
>have too many clusters twice and then a whole bunch of lost cluster errors.
> I ran CHKDSK from NT, the way that you must reboot in order for it to do
>its thing during startup, but CHKDSK does not find any lost clusters (at
>least it does not report having to fix anything). When I go back to
>partition magic I get the same error in the same place. I have tried
>CHKDSK a total of about 20 times with the same result.
>When attempting to resize my NTFS partition, Partition Magic is reporting
>these two warnings and then the failure and stopping :

>Warning - #1620 Backup boot record mismatch
>The backup boot record is different from the primary boot record.

> Warning - #1646 Bad cluster attribute has wrong size

>The bad cluster attribute in the bad cluster file must be the same size as
>the partition.
>Error- #1609 Lost cluster(s)

> Antony.

Antony have you tried running PM 3.03 from a diskette in drive A:
using minimal drivers, say a very simple autoexec and config system
file? It might be worth trying as PM does not like to operate within
the same environment that it is going to edit.

Also, the error may be related to vitual memory, swap file areas set
up on the drive. I had a very similar experience recently (although
all my partitions are FAT) and the problem turned out to be the swap
file in WFW 3.11. I deleted this to zero before running PM and the
error problem went away. Even though they are dynamically assigned the
total amount of space for virtual memory is retained on the disk.
For the record I have always found it safer to use PM from diskette
when changing partitions. For general viewing of partitions (without
editing) it makes no difference where you run it from.
I'm not sure this will solve the problem but it would appear to be a
logical step to set all swap size area to zero before changing
partitions.
when I

Antony Owen

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

[...]

A cluster that is marked used in the volume bitmap is not allocated to any
file.

I've run CHKDSK and it reports no problems. Is there anything I can do to
recover the situation,
either from NT directly, or via a third party tool (Norton Disc Doctor etc
?).

At the moment backup/copy and repartition is not an option.

Cheers,

Antony.

Ralf Morgenstern

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97