Can DOS see Win95 in peer to peer

20 vues

Derrick Hawkins

non lue,
7 sept. 1997, 03:00:0007/09/1997

Is it possible to have an MS-DOS client particpate in a Win95 peer to
peer networking environment. If so, what software does the DOS machine
need loaded.

Marius Kaizerman

non lue,
7 sept. 1997, 03:00:0007/09/1997

In article <3411d928...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, xdha...@ix.netcom.com
says...

> Is it possible to have an MS-DOS client particpate in a Win95 peer to
> peer networking environment. If so, what software does the DOS machine
> need loaded.

If you'd like to use the Win95 networking, you'll need a client
network program for MS-DOS. There's such a program included in
the NT server package, but I believe you can buy it apart from it.

Marius.

Marc Wilson

non lue,
7 sept. 1997, 03:00:0007/09/1997

On Sun, 07 Sep 1997 00:44:15 GMT, xdha...@ix.netcom.com (Derrick Hawkins)
wrote:

>Is it possible to have an MS-DOS client particpate in a Win95 peer to

>peer networking environment?

Sure:

(\\mako) D:\>net view
Servers available in workgroup WORKGROUP.
Server name Remark
\\AMI Samba 1.9.16p11
\\MAKO Kino Makoto
\\MINA Aino Minako
\\USAGI MS-DOS Peer Server
The command was completed successfully.

(\\mako) D:\>net view \\usagi
Shared resources at \\USAGI

Sharename Type Comment
TSUKINO Disk Usagi's Drive C
USAGI-A Disk Usagi's Floppy Drive
The command was completed successfully.

(\\mako) D:\>

See the MS-DOS Peer Server there? That's the DOS machine under my desk that
runs IPROUTE. :)

>If so, what software does the DOS machine need loaded?

Ahhh... now you want to know how to DO it? Thought you might. :)

Go over to ftp.microsoft.com. In directory /bussys/Clients/Msclient, get the
two files in that directory. They're self-extractors. Install 'em. If it
doesn't support your particular NIC, then check to see if your NIC provides
LAN Manager drivers. You should be able to use those. You can also use ANY
NDIS driver for your NIC, with a little bit of tweaking.

Make sure you configure the client to use whatever protocol your existing
Windows network is using. If you're doing everything THERE via TCP/IP,
consider installing NetBEUI as well for the DOS machine's benefit. The DOS
client supports TCP/IP... but you *don't* want to have to try to make it work.

There. Now your DOS machine is a client on your Windows network.

Now, you want the DOS machine to be able to *share* its resources, in addition
to being able to use those shared by the Windows machines, right? :)

It's another self-extractor. Run it in your /NET directory... let it
overwrite whatever it wants to.

Next, look at the copy of SYSTEM.INI in your /NET directory. It probably
looks something like this:

[network]
sizworkbuf=1498
filesharing=no
printsharing=no
autologon=yes

Change it to:

[network]
sizworkbuf=1498
filesharing=yes
printsharing=yes
autologon=yes

And restart the DOS machine. That's all there is to it.

Now, you will find that NET.EXE has gained a few options it didn't have
before. In particular, look at the embedded help for 'NET START SERVER' and
'NET SHARE'.

Any questions? :)

-----
Marc Wilson
mwi...@cts.com (preferred) -or- marc....@juno.com
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1148

Will Johnson

non lue,
9 sept. 1997, 03:00:0009/09/1997

There is a msclient for dos. I forget where it is on Microsofts
server and it is no longer supported but I have used it for a number
of years ow with no problems with WIndows For Workgroups or Windows95.

Hawkins) wrote:

>Is it possible to have an MS-DOS client particpate in a Win95 peer to

>peer networking environment. If so, what software does the DOS machine
>need loaded.

Will Johnson, CNA
Network Administrator
Lewis Hooper & Dick, LLC
http://www.lhd.com

For email, please remove the nospam in the email address.

Richard Ritsma

non lue,
9 sept. 1997, 03:00:0009/09/1997

On Sun, 07 Sep 1997 22:21:26 GMT, mwi...@cts.com (Marc Wilson) wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Sep 1997 00:44:15 GMT, xdha...@ix.netcom.com (Derrick Hawkins)
>wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to have an MS-DOS client particpate in a Win95 peer to

>>peer networking environment?
>
>Sure:

<snip>

>Make sure you configure the client to use whatever protocol your existing
>Windows network is using. If you're doing everything THERE via TCP/IP,
>consider installing NetBEUI as well for the DOS machine's benefit. The DOS
>client supports TCP/IP... but you *don't* want to have to try to make it work.

Can it(the dos client) support IPX/SPX?
And how?

And what sharing concerns how can I use the disks on the win95 pc? they are
already shared in win95 (mycomp/c:/properties/shared)?
And from the other side?

Richard Ritsma
ri...@xs4all.nl
IRC: #PCB413

Darryl J. Hover

non lue,
11 sept. 1997, 03:00:0011/09/1997

I just tried this myself and when executing the net.exe, I get the
following message:

Error #2: The specified file was not found
An error occurred accessing the security-settings file

Everything was working before I installed the WG1049.exe files. Ant idea
what file it's looking for or what went wrong?

Chris Green

non lue,
12 sept. 1997, 03:00:0012/09/1997

Derrick Hawkins <xdha...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to have an MS-DOS client particpate in a Win95 peer to
> peer networking environment. If so, what software does the DOS machine
> need loaded.

The simplest approach to this that I know of is to install "Microsoft
Workgroup Connection" on the DOS machine. This can be found on the
Microsoft FTP site (or at least it could) as a file MSWGCN.EXE which
is a self extracting archive, once extracted run the install utility
included (either INSTALL or SETUP, can't remember) and it usually
finds your network card OK and configures itself without too much
trouble.

MSWGCN is the underlying DOS part of the networking in Windows for
Workgroups. You in fact get basically the same thing as you would if
you had WfWg installed and ran 'NET START' from the DOS prompt before
running Windows.

MSWGCN only allows the DOS machine to be a client, you can't shere the
DOS machine's resources. If you want to share the resources the only
way I know to do it is to install IBM's DOS LAN services which isn't
free like MSWGCN and is nowhere near so easy to install and uses up
acres of memory.

--
Chris Green (ch...@dappy.com)
Home: ch...@isbd.demon.co.uk CIX: cgr...@cix.compulink.co.uk

David Lee

non lue,
12 sept. 1997, 03:00:0012/09/1997

MSWGCN.EXE can be found at
http://www.isomedia.com/homes/ftp_html/microsoft/winutils.htm

David
l...@inet.uni-c.dk

> The simplest approach to this that I know of is to install "Microsoft
> Workgroup Connection" on the DOS machine. This can be found on the
> Microsoft FTP site (or at least it could) as a file MSWGCN.EXE which
> is a self extracting archive, once extracted run the install utility
> included (either INSTALL or SETUP, can't remember) and it usually
> finds your network card OK and configures itself without too much
> trouble.

David Lee

non lue,
12 sept. 1997, 03:00:0012/09/1997

All is very well with MSWGCN.EXE it works fine,
BUT it wont work with EMM386 loaded!
Why not?
What to do if I still need about 580K low memory on my Dos machine?
David

l...@inet.uni-c.dk

Chris Green <ch...@meteora.areti.com> skrev i artiklen
<3418f...@orac.idiscover.net>...

> Derrick Hawkins <xdha...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > Is it possible to have an MS-DOS client particpate in a Win95 peer to
> > peer networking environment. If so, what software does the DOS machine
> > need loaded.

Marc Wilson

non lue,
14 sept. 1997, 03:00:0014/09/1997

On 11 Sep 1997 19:11:19 GMT, "Darryl J. Hover" <dar...@probe.com> wrote:

>I just tried this myself and when executing the net.exe, I get the
>following message:
>
> Error #2: The specified file was not found
> An error occurred accessing the security-settings file

Put the original NET.EXE and subsidiary files back and see if it works again.
The couple of times I've had that error show up, I've ended up re-installing
the basic package again, then the patch.

Also, MAKE SURE you're not applying the patch to v1.0 of the Client. It only
works with V3.

Lucas Starrett

non lue,
16 sept. 1997, 03:00:0016/09/1997

Will Johnson wrote:

> There is a msclient for dos. I forget where it is on Microsofts
> server and it is no longer supported but I have used it for a number
> of years ow with no problems with WIndows For Workgroups or Windows95.
>

> On Sun, 07 Sep 1997 00:44:15 GMT, xdha...@ix.netcom.com (Derrick

> Hawkins) wrote:
>
> >Is it possible to have an MS-DOS client particpate in a Win95 peer to
> >peer networking environment. If so, what software does the DOS machine

I have a copy of the client. It came on the NT4 Server CD. It takes
two disks. I can place it in my WWW directory if you would like to
download it. Let me know.

0 nouveau message