WINIPCFG: fatal error-cannot read IP configuration

Gordon Pattie

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
A client's station had a problem that required reinstalling Win 95. I
removed IE4 (with a few glitches), installed Win 95 and reinstalled IE4.
Now I get the message: "fatal error-cannot read IP configuration" and IE4 or
Outlook cannot use the IP. The fixed IP is correct as are all settings. I
have removed and reinstalled the Microsoft client and the TCP/IP protocol. I
know the card works as it is talking to a Novell 5 server via IPX/SPX and
Client32. About 5 hours going in circles today.... sigh. Ideas appreciated.

Gordon Pattie
MCP CNE5

Michael D

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
FATAL IP ERROR
CANNOT READ IP CONFIGURATION

I work for a high volume internet service provider that installs cable
modems on computers. We come across this error message about 1 out of
every 20 computers and have found NO resolution to the problem. We
have even called Microsoft's PAY support line and they are baffled and
try to blame it on the comuter's hardware. If we had the problem on
the same TYPE of computer or exact hardware then maybe I will believe
that idea, but these have been all different types of computers, so
it's not likely it's the hardware.

This error occurs when you run WINIPCFG.EXE.

This error occurs in all version of Windows, including Win98SE.

Steve Winograd

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
In article <29916.94245...@news2.islandnet.com>, "Gordon Pattie" <gpa...@islandnet.com> wrote:
>A client's station had a problem that required reinstalling Win 95. I
>removed IE4 (with a few glitches), installed Win 95 and reinstalled IE4.
>Now I get the message: "fatal error-cannot read IP configuration" and IE4 or
>Outlook cannot use the IP. The fixed IP is correct as are all settings. I
>have removed and reinstalled the Microsoft client and the TCP/IP protocol. I
>know the card works as it is talking to a Novell 5 server via IPX/SPX and
>Client32. About 5 hours going in circles today.... sigh. Ideas appreciated.

One of these Microsoft Knowledge Base articles may have the answer:

Error Messages When Running TCP/IP-Based Utilities or Programs
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q191/0/64.ASP

WFW TCP/IP Files May Result in Problems with Windows 95 TCP/IP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q140/9/03.asp

Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd

Michael D

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
What's weird is that this problem happens in Win98SE. Fresh install.
There is no patch or backup of anything to restore from. It's just one
big loop. :)

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 03:35:41 GMT, ste...@pobox.com (Steve Winograd)

Ben Dempsey

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
I have had the same problem, what fixed my problem was unistalling
netscape and reinstalling it. Seems like there was a file conflict
with client32 <Netware> and Netscape. Sorry I don't remember the
actual file name.

Gordon Pattie

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99

Michael Huang of http://www.firstvpn.com was kind enough to supply a
solution. The problem can sometimes be resolved by applying the Microsoft
upgrade to Winsock2 from the MS download site. This did the trick and
avoided a reformat. When I ran the upgrade there was no indication that the
executable had finished or done anything so I actually ran it 3 times before
testing and finding out it had worked.
Thanks again to Michael.

Gordon Pattie
MCP CNE5

Michael D

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
How can you upgrade to winsock 2.0 on Windos 98 SE where the problem
happens more to us??? Stock Windows 98SE that has been just installed
already has Winsock2. I've been through the winsock loop many times
also. Negative.

Michael D

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
Well, most machine never had Netscape installed....also Netware client
was never installed either. Client32 never touched the computer
system. Thanks for the help anyway........I'm pretty much sure it's
just a "bug" that hasn't been worked out since Win95.

Bielinskit

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
hey i had this problem occur applying winsock 2.2.I still haven't found a way
out of it . the winsock 2.2 upgrade isupposed to create a batch fike of the old
settings so if a problem occurs you can run the ws2bakup,bat to restore the old
setting, but ofcourse for some reason the job did not create the batch file so
I'm really screwed. I've tried everything.

Michael D

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
I've had this problem happen in Windows 98SE. Which in reality there is no
winsock backup. I've had to tell people they need to reformat their HD for
this MS bug that has plagued my company for months now.

P.S. I have called MS tech support via PAY support with NO help. They were
baffled and tried to blame the computers hardware.

Bielinskit <bieli...@aol.com> wrote in message