EMM386 error #06 at 00xx:xxxx

Denham Forrest

Apr 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/1/95
Does anyone have an idea as to what the program that causes this error
is?

Scot

Apr 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/1/95

> Does anyone have an idea as to what the program that causes this error
> is?

EMM386 error #06 is caused by faulty coding or possibly a bad RAM Chip. This is
according to the technicians at Microsoft.

Scot

Apr 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/1/95

> Check your keyboard connection. Unplug and replug it. If the keyboard
> connector is loose it can cause memory errors.
>
> I am not making this up.
>

> --
> Jim Biggerstaff ji...@infi.net Norfolk, Virginia, USA

Jim,

Thanks for the FYI. That is a new one. I have received documentation from
Microsoft stating that EMM386 error #6 was related to bad memory chips or bad
coding. But, who knows and trusts the reliability of Microsoft. Plus, some
machines are very quirky.

Talk to ya laterz

Scot

James Biggerstaff

Apr 2, 1995, 4:00:00 AM4/2/95
Denham Forrest (Denham_...@bendnet.com) wrote:
: Does anyone have an idea as to what the program that causes this error
: is?

Check your keyboard connection. Unplug and replug it. If the keyboard

connector is loose it can cause memory errors.

I am not making this up.

--
Jim Biggerstaff ji...@infi.net Norfolk, Virginia, USA

These profound insights are NOT freeware. If found useful, please send
money within 30 days.

mik...@virginia.edu

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95

>> Check your keyboard connection. Unplug and replug it. If the keyboard
>> connector is loose it can cause memory errors.

>> I am not making this up.

>Thanks for the FYI. That is a new one. I have received documentation from

>Microsoft stating that EMM386 error #6 was related to bad memory chips or bad

>coding. But, who knows and trusts the reliability of Microsoft. Plus, some

>machines are very quirky.

>Talk to ya laterz

>Scot

Wow, just got that error this morning, so what a great time to see it on the
net.

Mine occured at 00B8:0B92. If you go into MFT, or some program like that,
it looks like this is in the DOS stacks area. Is that true? How would you
go about finding out what program/tsr/etc. is loaded there?

Thanks

Eddie

Phil Clark

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
mik...@virginia.edu wrote:

>>> Check your keyboard connection. Unplug and replug it. If the keyboard
>>> connector is loose it can cause memory errors.
>
>>> I am not making this up.

Are you running WFWG 3.11 and Microsoft's 32-bit TCP v 3.11 by any chance?
If so, try upgrading to TCP v3.11a, which is available from Microsoft's FTP site.
it worked for us.

cheers

Phil

David W. Fenton

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95

mik...@virginia.edu wrote (quoting):
: >> Check your keyboard connection. Unplug and replug it. If the keyboard

: >> connector is loose it can cause memory errors.

: >> I am not making this up.

: >Thanks for the FYI. That is a new one. I have received documentation from

: >Microsoft stating that EMM386 error #6 was related to bad memory chips or
: >bad coding. But, who knows and trusts the reliability of Microsoft.
: >Plus, some machines are very quirky.

: Wow, just got that error this morning, so what a great time to see it on the
: net.

: Mine occured at 00B8:0B92. If you go into MFT, or some program like that,
: it looks like this is in the DOS stacks area. Is that true? How would you
: go about finding out what program/tsr/etc. is loaded there?

I've seen exception 06 several times (as well as 13), and it always
happened when I had stuffed lots of TSRs and drivers into UMBs. The
solution in each instance was to find out who was causing the problem (as
mentioned above, you often can't tell which program caused the error from
the address), then try loading the offending driver/TSR in a different
order, or low, or eliminating it entirely (if it's optional -- I've seen
Norton's Smartcan cause this problem on two different machines and the
only solution was eliminating it, which is not a problem since it's a
pretty stupid program, anyway). You can also tweak the memory exclusions
for EMM386, but that can get to be very problematic if you don't know
exactly what the problem is in the first place.

I see these exceptions less often with manually configured memory
configurations than with MemMaker or QEMM, even with fairly conservative
setups. I've also had disastrous results with QEMM because it tries to
use mapped ROM areas that it shouldn't (like the RAM-mapped CMOS ROM, for
example). I avoid QEMM unless I have to use it, but, then again, I don't
know all the ins and outs of the dozens of switches that can be used with it.

David W. Fenton
New York University
dwf...@is2.nyu.edu

denham_...@bendnet.com

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
From: "Denham Forrest" <Denham_...@bendnet.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.misc
Original Date: 1 Apr 1995 19:47:01 GMT

Does anyone have an idea as to what the program that causes this error
is?

--- MailGate 0.21+ [The Future Now]
* Origin: RS-Net BBS * Trazendo o futuro ao Sul do pais * (12:12/0.1)