HELP!! Partition Magic Error 105. PartitionInfo inside: Please look!!

Brando

Nov 7, 2000, 12:34:01 AM11/7/00

I'm trying to recover my partition. I had it split up my 6GB HD into 2.5GB Windows98 and
3.5GB Linux (Mandrake 7.1). I just recently could not boot up into Linux. I got this error
during bootup:

So, I was going to just remove the Linux partition and freshly install LM 7.2
But, when I run Partition Magic Pro 6.0 in DOS, I get Error 105:
> Error 105 Partition starts on wrong boundary
>
> Cause of this problem:
> The hard-disk partition table contains erroneous values. PartitionMagic expects
> FAT, NTFS, and HPFS partitions to begin and end on the boundaries used by
> FDISK. If they do not, the disk may be partially corrupted. In this circumstance, if
> PartitionMagic were to make any modifications it might cause loss of data.
> Therefore, PartitionMagic refuses to recognize any of the hard disk·s partitions.

So what can I do to resize my Windows98 partition to the full size of the HD without
damaging the Win98 partition?

Here's the PartitionInfo output:
>General System Information:
> Total Physical Memory (bytes): 58,159,104
> Used Physical Memory: (bytes): 54,263,808
> Maximum Page File Size: (bytes): 237,502,464
> Current Page File Size: (bytes): 48,635,904
>

>===========================================================================================================
>Disk Geometry Information for Disk 1: 776 Cylinders, 240 Heads, 63 Sectors/Track
>Warning: Logical drive chain points to sector without partition table.
>System PartSect # Boot BCyl Head Sect FS ECyl Head Sect StartSect NumSects
>===========================================================================================================
> 0 0 80 1 0 1 84 38 15 63 15,120 560,448
>Info: Partition didn't end on cylinder boundary.
> ucEndHead expected to be 239, not 15.
>NOTEBOOK 0 1 00 38 16 1 0B 375 239 63 575,568 5,109,552
>Error #105: Partition didn't begin on head boundary.
> ucBeginHead expected to be 0 or 1, not 16.
> 0 2 00 376 0 1 05 448 239 63 5,685,120 1,103,760
>

>===========================================================================================================
>Partition Information for Disk 1: 5,729.1 Megabytes
>Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect # StartSect TotalSects UsedSects FreeSects
>===========================================================================================================
> Free Space Pri 7.4 None -- 63 15,057 0 15,057
> Type 84 Pri,Boot 273.7 0 0 15,120 560,448 560,448 0
>C:NOTEBOOK FAT32 Pri 2,494.9 0 1 575,568 5,109,552 5,109,552 0
> Extended Pri 538.9 0 2 5,685,120 1,103,760 63 1,103,697
> EPBR Log 0.0 None -- 5,685,120 63 63 0
> Free Space Log 538.9 None -- 5,685,183 1,103,697 0 1,103,697
> Free Space Pri 2,414.2 None -- 6,788,880 4,944,240 0 4,944,240
>

>===========================================================================================================
>Boot Record for drive C: (Drive: 1, Starting sector: 575,568, Type: FAT32)
>===========================================================================================================
> 1. Jump: EB 58 90
> 2. OEM Name: was here
> 3. Bytes per Sector: 512
> 4. Sectors per Cluster: 8
> 5. Reserved Sectors: 32
> 6. Number of FAT's: 2
> 7. Reserved: 0x0000
> 8. Reserved: 0x0000
> 9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
>10. Sectors per FAT: 0
>11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
>12. Number of Heads: 240 (0xF0)
>13. Hidden Sectors: 575568 (0x8C850)
>14. Big Total Sectors: 5109552 (0x4DF730)
> [...]

Please help! Thanx
Brandon

deber...@mindspring.com

Nov 7, 2000, 12:44:08 AM11/7/00
try running fdisk /mbr, then just plain fdisk and see if you can delete the non-dos partition. If not, try
running Partition Magic again and see if you get that error again after rewriting the boot sector (fdisk /mbr).

I'm not saying this is the answer, it's just where I'd go next.

hope it helps

--Walt

Brando wrote:

> I'm trying to recover my partition. I had it split up my 6GB HD into 2.5GB Windows98 and
> 3.5GB Linux (Mandrake 7.1). I just recently could not boot up into Linux. I got this error
> during bootup:
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

snip

> > Error 105 Partition starts on wrong boundary
> >
> > Cause of this problem:
> > The hard-disk partition table contains erroneous values. PartitionMagic expects
> > FAT, NTFS, and HPFS partitions to begin and end on the boundaries used by
> > FDISK. If they do not, the disk may be partially corrupted. In this circumstance, if
> > PartitionMagic were to make any modifications it might cause loss of data.

> > Therefore, PartitionMagic refuses to recognize any of the hard disk新 partitions.

> So what can I do to resize my Windows98 partition to the full size of the HD without
> damaging the Win98 partition?

snip

Joseph Bosse

Nov 7, 2000, 1:44:38 AM11/7/00
I've had this same error on more than one occasion, the fix is simple though
destructive.
you definately have to use fdisk to delete the linux partition, it shows up
as a non dos partition in fdisk. after deleting the second partition, use
Partition magic to resize your primary partition or simply recreate your
linux partition.
(fdisk /mbr might work, but I wouldnt count on it.)

"Brando" <bhop...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Nataraj Dasgupta

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
Forget Partition Magic. The reason you could not boot linux is that the hdax
number changes when you repartition your drive. Use the boot disk that you
originally created and boot with linux root = /dev/hdax where x = the new
partition number,.. then, once you are in check /etc/fstab and make sure
your / is mounted in the correct /dev/hdax, otherwise make the appropriate
changes. I suggest searching on some newsgroup or at deja.com with the error
message, you will find enough references to see you through this problem.

"Brando" <bhop...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm trying to recover my partition. I had it split up my 6GB HD into 2.5GB
Windows98 and
> 3.5GB Linux (Mandrake 7.1). I just recently could not boot up into Linux.
I got this error
> during bootup:
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05
>
> So, I was going to just remove the Linux partition and freshly install LM
7.2
> But, when I run Partition Magic Pro 6.0 in DOS, I get Error 105:
> > Error 105 Partition starts on wrong boundary
> >
> > Cause of this problem:
> > The hard-disk partition table contains erroneous values. PartitionMagic
expects
> > FAT, NTFS, and HPFS partitions to begin and end on the boundaries used
by
> > FDISK. If they do not, the disk may be partially corrupted. In this
circumstance, if
> > PartitionMagic were to make any modifications it might cause loss of
data.

> > Therefore, PartitionMagic refuses to recognize any of the hard disk新

Jacques Guy

Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00
Nataraj Dasgupta wrote:

> Forget Partition Magic.
[...]

Follow Nataraj's advice. Partition Magic is a useless
piece of software. Time and again (how many? four
times I think) I have been plagued by similar
problems. Always, always, Partition Magic gave
me horrendous error messages, no help whatsoever,
the prize going to an error message which was not
in the manual! Boot from a Linux diskette, run
Linux fdisk, go on from there. Avoid MS fdisk
like the plague, unless you are keen to lose all
your data. Once, 4-5 years ago, MS-DOS decided that
I had no F: disk. The Norton Utilities (what a piece
of shit!) told me to do a low-level formatting.
So, stuffed for stuffed, I booted from a Linux
diskette (I knew bugger all about Linux, just
a little bit of Unix). Eventually, having found
the right /dev/hdax to mount, I could read, edit,
and copy the DOS files on my "lost" disk F:!
From Linux. I eventually managed, all through
Linux, to re-enable F: (forgot how, posted it
on comp.linux.advocacy, but DejaNews no longer
goes that far back).

Anita Lewis

Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00
On Tue, 07 Nov 2000 05:34:01 GMT, Brando wrote:

>I'm trying to recover my partition. I had it split up my 6GB HD into 2.5GB Windows98 and
>3.5GB Linux (Mandrake 7.1). I just recently could not boot up into Linux. I got this error
>during bootup:
>> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05
>
>So, I was going to just remove the Linux partition and freshly install LM 7.2
>But, when I run Partition Magic Pro 6.0 in DOS, I get Error 105:
>> Error 105 Partition starts on wrong boundary
>>
>> Cause of this problem:
>> The hard-disk partition table contains erroneous values. PartitionMagic expects
>> FAT, NTFS, and HPFS partitions to begin and end on the boundaries used by
>> FDISK. If they do not, the disk may be partially corrupted. In this circumstance, if
>> PartitionMagic were to make any modifications it might cause loss of data.
>> Therefore, PartitionMagic refuses to recognize any of the hard disk·s partitions.
>
>So what can I do to resize my Windows98 partition to the full size of the HD without
>damaging the Win98 partition?

You might be able to find the actual partition table by using gpart. Then
you could use fdisk to rewrite the partition table. I don't think it will
work to use linux fdisk to rewrite the table to extend it for windows,
because windows will not recognize it unless you use dos fdisk which wipes
out the data. Hopefully if you use gpart you will find what the table
should be and fix the mess PM made.

http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/7620/gpart

You will need to get the binary version to put on a floppy and also get
Tom's linux to run a mini linux to use gpart. The url for tom's is on the
gpart page. On tom's there is also rescuept which gives you info on the
partition table, but I find it harder to use than what gpart gives. You can
try both and compare.

Anita

Anita Lewis

Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00
On Wed, 08 Nov 2000 11:08:51 GMT, Anita Lewis wrote:
>On Tue, 07 Nov 2000 05:34:01 GMT, Brando wrote:
>>
>>I'm trying to recover my partition. I had it split up my 6GB HD into 2.5GB Windows98 and
>>3.5GB Linux (Mandrake 7.1). I just recently could not boot up into Linux. I got this error
>>during bootup:
>>> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05
>>
>>So, I was going to just remove the Linux partition and freshly install LM 7.2
>>But, when I run Partition Magic Pro 6.0 in DOS, I get Error 105:
>>> Error 105 Partition starts on wrong boundary
>>>
>>> Cause of this problem:
>>> The hard-disk partition table contains erroneous values. PartitionMagic expects
>>> FAT, NTFS, and HPFS partitions to begin and end on the boundaries used by
>>> FDISK. If they do not, the disk may be partially corrupted. In this circumstance, if
>>> PartitionMagic were to make any modifications it might cause loss of data.
>>> Therefore, PartitionMagic refuses to recognize any of the hard disk·s partitions.
>>
>>So what can I do to resize my Windows98 partition to the full size of the HD without
>>damaging the Win98 partition?
>
>You might be able to find the actual partition table by using gpart. Then
>you could use fdisk to rewrite the partition table. I don't think it will
>work to use linux fdisk to rewrite the table to extend it for windows,
>because windows will not recognize it unless you use dos fdisk which wipes
>out the data. Hopefully if you use gpart you will find what the table
>should be and fix the mess PM made.
>
>http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/7620/gpart
>
>You will need to get the binary version to put on a floppy and also get
>Tom's linux to run a mini linux to use gpart. The url for tom's is on the
>gpart page. On tom's there is also rescuept which gives you info on the
>partition table, but I find it harder to use than what gpart gives. You can
>try both and compare.
>
>Anita

Actually, although PM is refusing to recognize the partitions, does Windows
boot? If it does, you might run into problems if you mess with that
partition using fdisk. If Windows boots, then try running Tom's linux and
try mounting your partitions. Do 'fdisk -l' to see what fdisk says you have
for partitions.

The original problem could be that /boot is on a cylinder above 1024,
although most drives are set so that you would have to have 8 Gig to exceed
that. I have a 4 Gig that exceeds it though. If that is the case, then you
might have it boot sometimes and sometimes not, depending on where /boot is.
So be sure to look at the cylinders too when you do fdisk -l.

If Tom's shows you the partition table, and the cylinders look good, you
might just try reinstalling linux on the same partitions. If the cylinders
are not good for you, then you will need to make a /boot in a small 20 meg
space below 1024 and then reinstall. Write down what 'fdisk -l' produces
and compare it to PM and what you think you made with it.

Anita

Eric

Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00

> You might be able to find the actual partition table by using gpart. Then
> you could use fdisk to rewrite the partition table. I don't think it will
> work to use linux fdisk to rewrite the table to extend it for windows,
> because windows will not recognize it unless you use dos fdisk which wipes

What do you mean with that? Windows will recognize partitions created
with linux (c)fdisk just fine. Ofcourse the partition ID must be one of
the types that windows knows of.

> out the data. Hopefully if you use gpart you will find what the table
> should be and fix the mess PM made.

Did PM make this mess? That's not very likely. I suppose the original
poster used the mandrake (re)partitioner. They should put a serious
warning on the screen before anyone can use it, 'cause it's notorious in
(corrupting) partition tables.

Perhaps the original poster can use GNU's parted to resize the
partitions, so they will start at cylinder boundary's again.

After that, don't use any other partitioning tool than PM. If you have
this tool, use it. It may not be free (so if you haven't bought it yet,
try parted first), but it's the best piece of non-free software you can
get (IMO).

> http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/7620/gpart
>
> You will need to get the binary version to put on a floppy and also get
> Tom's linux to run a mini linux to use gpart. The url for tom's is on the
> gpart page. On tom's there is also rescuept which gives you info on the
> partition table, but I find it harder to use than what gpart gives. You can
> try both and compare.

The partition table is probably not corrupt, but PM is very strict on
what it does allow. I suppose mainly for compatability reasons (DOS
FDISK can only start/end a partition on a cylinder boundary)

So maybe the table is corrupt (but I couldn't tell from what I've seen),
could the original poster post the result of linux `fdisk -l /dev/hda`
please?

Eric

> Anita

Eric

Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00
Jacques Guy wrote:

> Nataraj Dasgupta wrote:
>
> > Forget Partition Magic.
> [...]
>
> Follow Nataraj's advice. Partition Magic is a useless
> piece of software. Time and again (how many? four
> times I think) I have been plagued by similar
> problems. Always, always, Partition Magic gave
> me horrendous error messages, no help whatsoever,

Yeah right. I know PM can abort with these error messages,
(I've had them myself too) but that doesn't make it bad software.
(I agree the error message aren't very clear)
But partitiontable's aren't easy. Every single OS on the market
that claim's to understand a PC's partitiontable has it's own
gotcha's in handling these tables. PM's tries to be so generic
in the table it creates/handles due to these (in)compatabilities.

If you would have used PM to create your table from start,
and not mess with the fdisk's from any OS, PM will resize, create
and delete all entries just fine. But if you have used an fdisk,
that's is more rich-featured than DOS fdisk (like the linux one)
PM may find it impossible to deal with your table.

If you would obey all the rules PM does (and they are too stringent, I
know)
you would never have any partition table problem to begin with.

Eric

> the prize going to an error message which was not
> in the manual! Boot from a Linux diskette, run
> Linux fdisk, go on from there. Avoid MS fdisk
> like the plague, unless you are keen to lose all
> your data. Once, 4-5 years ago, MS-DOS decided that
> I had no F: disk. The Norton Utilities (what a piece
> of shit!) told me to do a low-level formatting.
> So, stuffed for stuffed, I booted from a Linux
> diskette (I knew bugger all about Linux, just
> a little bit of Unix). Eventually, having found
> the right /dev/hdax to mount, I could read, edit,
> and copy the DOS files on my "lost" disk F:!
> From Linux. I eventually managed, all through
> Linux, to re-enable F: (forgot how, posted it
> on comp.linux.advocacy, but DejaNews no longer
> goes that far back).

Was your partition table correct?
The fact that you think it was, doesn't mean that it really was.
(You can use a partition from an incorrect table just fine
(depends on the error there is in the table) but that doesn't make it
correct
You will on the other hand have absolutely *no* guarantee that the data
on such a partition (and in fact on the entire disc!) will stay
uncorrupted
over time.
I suspect that at least 10% of every PC user out there that has more
than
one OS on his/her PC has an incorrect partition table. (I've seen it far
too often)

Eric

cbfal...@my-deja.com

Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00
In article <7vaO5.1094$84.4...@e420r-sjo3.usenetserver.com>,

ajle...@intac.com wrote:

> >So what can I do to resize my Windows98 partition to the full
> >size of the HD without damaging the Win98 partition?
>
> You might be able to find the actual partition table by using
> gpart. Then you could use fdisk to rewrite the partition table.
> I don't think it will work to use linux fdisk to rewrite the
> table to extend it for windows, because windows will not
> recognize it unless you use dos fdisk which wipes out the data.

> Hopefully if you use gpart you will find what the table
> should be and fix the mess PM made.
>
> http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/7620/gpart
>
> You will need to get the binary version to put on a floppy and
> also get Tom's linux to run a mini linux to use gpart. The url
> for tom's is on the gpart page. On tom's there is also rescuept
> which gives you info on the partition table, but I find it
> harder to use than what gpart gives. You can try both and compare.
>
> Anita

The URL fails :-( Guess somebody moved on.

--
Chuck Falconer (cbfal...@my-deja.com)
http://www.qwikpages.com/backstreets/cbfalconer/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

till.ru...@number-two.com

Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00
In article <3A096FD7...@oz.land>,

scare...@oz.land wrote:

> Yeah right. I know PM can abort with these error messages,
> (I've had them myself too) but that doesn't make it bad software.
> (I agree the error message aren't very clear)
> But partitiontable's aren't easy. Every single OS on the market
> that claim's to understand a PC's partitiontable has it's own
> gotcha's in handling these tables. PM's tries to be so generic
> in the table it creates/handles due to these (in)compatabilities.
>
> If you would have used PM to create your table from start,
> and not mess with the fdisk's from any OS, PM will resize, create
> and delete all entries just fine. But if you have used an fdisk,
> that's is more rich-featured than DOS fdisk (like the linux one)
> PM may find it impossible to deal with your table.
>
> If you would obey all the rules PM does (and they are too stringent, I
> know)
> you would never have any partition table problem to begin with.
>
> Eric

I could not agree more. I once used fdisk (DOS), fdisk (LINUX) and PM
in paralell and escaped several heart attacks, but only just. Since
then I have used only PM with no problems at all. I'd rather stiick to
the most stringent package out there than running any risks.
--
--- Till Ruessmann ---

Michel Catudal

Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00
Jacques Guy a écrit :

> Nataraj Dasgupta wrote:
>
> > Forget Partition Magic.
> [...]
>
> Follow Nataraj's advice. Partition Magic is a useless
> piece of software. Time and again (how many? four
> times I think) I have been plagued by similar
> problems. Always, always, Partition Magic gave
> me horrendous error messages, no help whatsoever,
> the prize going to an error message which was not
> in the manual! Boot from a Linux diskette, run
> Linux fdisk, go on from there. Avoid MS fdisk
> like the plague, unless you are keen to lose all
> your data. Once, 4-5 years ago, MS-DOS decided that
> I had no F: disk. The Norton Utilities (what a piece
> of shit!) told me to do a low-level formatting.
> So, stuffed for stuffed, I booted from a Linux
> diskette (I knew bugger all about Linux, just
> a little bit of Unix). Eventually, having found
> the right /dev/hdax to mount, I could read, edit,
> and copy the DOS files on my "lost" disk F:!
> From Linux. I eventually managed, all through
> Linux, to re-enable F: (forgot how, posted it
> on comp.linux.advocacy, but DejaNews no longer
> goes that far back).

This is all bullshit!

If you use ONLY partition magic to do the partitioning you will
have no problem. I have partitioned a lot of hard disks and not
once I have ever had partition magic fuck up on my systems.
I had two problems related to partioning in the past couple of years
1- When Corel Linux got installed it blew my partition table and neither
OS/2 nor partiton magic were able to read, I don't remember the error
number, perhaps 104 or 105. It turned out that Corel seemed to have
written over a partition boundary. I did the hard fix, I booted from diskette
under SuSE and saved my dat onto another hard disk, I then proceeded
to recreate a dos partition table and reinstall OS/2 as well as SuSE Linux.
2-Win NT 4.0 was installed onto the first partition of around 2G on an
8G partition (1027 cylinders in LBA).
When running NT fdisk it put his mark which turned out that that mark was
the zapping of a 3G linux partition sitting on the end of the drive.
I wiped winblows NT and used the CD as a coaster.
The partition table was blown.

Please stop the nonsense about PM. It may not be a perfect software package
but by experience I found it to be one of the very best such software on
the market as it supports several operation systems. Unlike the fdisk of
Linux I don't have any weird surprises with OS/2 or DOS. I can do basically
what I want with PM.

--
Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
then it's time to upgrade to Linux.

Arnaud Kok

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
In comp.os.linux.misc cbfal...@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <7vaO5.1094$84.4...@e420r-sjo3.usenetserver.com>,
> ajle...@intac.com wrote:
>>
>> http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/7620/gpart
>>

> The URL fails :-( Guess somebody moved on.

The URL was mistyped it's:
http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/

Btw. Another program you can use is rescuept (it's what i once used). If
gpart failes you can give it a try. You'll find it at:
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~akok
(There is also a link to gpart there)

Grt,
Arnaud.

Steven J. Hathaway

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
I've seen numerous problems similar to your respondents. Therefore I find it useful to have
floppy-bootable linux with the ability to edit the /etc/... environment files suchas /etc/lilo.conf
and /etc/fstab to restore basic Linux functionality. If the ext2 file system is realy messed-up
with partition magic, then a rebuild of the ext2 partition is required.

I have also seen BIOS problems with disk geometry translations for disks upto 8.4 GB. Disks
larger than 8.4GB must use a linear access capability and the DOS based BIOS can only
recognize the first 540 MB of disk space. In these situations, your primary boot loader must
reside in the first 540 MB of the first disk unless your BIOS and boot loader knows how
to handle linear disk access capable of terabyte addressing.

Also some file systems have size limits, not often well documented. Then other file systems
or operating systems have limits on file size that may haunt you.

I'm sorry for not providing answers, but pose some questions that may help you
find answers to future systems maintenance issues.

- Steve Hathaway

Anita Lewis

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
On Tue, 07 Nov 2000 05:34:01 GMT, Brando wrote:

I don't know Partition Magic. I would suggest that you try to run a rescue
disk first before reinstalling. I know the RedHat cdrom will run as a
rescue disk; so try that with your mandrake disk. type 'linux rescue' at
the boot prompt unless it gives some different instructions on your disk.
If that doesn't work, use Windows to download and install tomsrtbt on a
floppy. http://www.toms.net/rb/ . That's good to have around anyway.

Once you have linux in RAM, which is what the rescue disk does, you can run
a couple of things.

fdisk -l /dev/hda - this will give you a partition table and possibly the same
information as you got with

e2fsck /dev/hda? where ? is the partition number of your root (/boot) for
linux. If you have a separate /boot partition, be sure to run it on that
too. It doesn't look like you do. I see that you have that OS/2 partition
at the start, and I don't know what that is. I just inherited a server that
has a small partition like that at the start of the drive and it is a sort
of bios; so you better not destroy that partition. If e2fsck fixes things,
good. If not, and you want to reinstall linux, you do not need to
repartition to do it. You just reinstall and use that same partition that
is already there.

I would not use PM for partitioning, but then I've never used it. I just
read all the problems from people who do. There are probably lots of folks
using it successfully though.

Anita