german keyboard with XFree86 4.0

Daniel Haist

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
i've tried the XFree86 4.0 on mz RH 6.1...
after some starting problems, everything works fine, but i can't
get a german keyboardlayout under X!
can anyone help me? thx, =(-X

Karsten Wutzke

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
to Daniel Haist

Why don't you try your luck in one of the de.comp.os.unix.linux.*
groups?

Karsten

Michael Lehmeier

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00

I don't know why he doesn't go to the german linux-newsgroups anymore,
but I left it because they are the most arrogant, self-rightrous,
and impolite place I ever encountered on the internet.
If you don't have a space after the "--" at the top of the signature
you will be repremanded.
If you dare to have anything other than a potential realname (not
that anyone can determine whether or not it is your real name) you
will get flamed and killfiled.
And god help you if you say anything mildly positive about Windows.

Believe it or not, they have a "newusers" group. Post to it, as long
as you don't ask any newusers-questions. Otherwise, you will also get
flamed.

Of course 80% of the posters to those newsgroups are fine fellows who
answer questions politely. But it is very scary that the violent rest
is totally accepted.

When I changed to the english linux-newsgroups I was almost in shock
because of how quiet and supportive it is.

--
Michael Lehmeier -==UDIC== Nightshade Dragon m_leh...@gmx.de

Robert B. Easter

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
Daniel Haist wrote:

> i've tried the XFree86 4.0 on mz RH 6.1...
> after some starting problems, everything works fine, but i can't
> get a german keyboardlayout under X!
> can anyone help me? thx, =(-X

If you are using KDE, I think it is quite easy. In the KDE Control
Center/Input Devices/International Keyboard section, you can add the
German keyboard map. I helped my friend get Thai working with KDE. It
was easy - just install Thai language true type fonts in X and add the
Thai keyboard map in KDE.

--
Robert B. Easter
rea...@comptechnews.com