Slackware 'root' password after setup

Bojan Trafela

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

I have setup Slackware and then restarted system.

On my first login I get login and type 'root', but I have no password.
I can not login into system.

What is default password for root account?!?!?
Enter doesn't work.

Thanks,

--
Bojan Trafela
e-mail: bojan....@kk-ptuj.si

Neil Rickert

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

In <34794CA0...@kk-ptuj.si> Bojan Trafela <bojan....@kk-ptuj.si> writes:

>I have setup Slackware and then restarted system.
>On my first login I get login and type 'root', but I have no password.
>I can not login into system.

Whenever I have installed slackware, there has been no initial
password for root.

Edward Betts

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97
to comp.os.linux.setup

Bojan Trafela wrote in message <34794CA0...@kk-ptuj.si>...

>I have setup Slackware and then restarted system.
>
>On my first login I get login and type 'root', but I have no password.
>I can not login into system.
>
>What is default password for root account?!?!?
>Enter doesn't work.

By default the password is left blank on slackware, it should not ask for a
password.

--
Edward Betts, http://www.hairnet.demon.co.uk/edward

Tom Garrity

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

Use the original boot image that you used to install; ie. boot w/ it.
When you get the first "boot:" prompt, rw mount the HD and then edit
/etc/passwd; find the line listing root:[encrypted pass here]:...:...
and just delete the passwd--ie leave it as "root::..." Hope this helps.
Later, Steve