Darkstar login???!!!

Bill Reid

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
Hey.

Just installed older version of linux.

Darkstar login:
password:

I don't know how to log in!
I have read everything I could find... but I am still not proficient
enough to know where to look.

This could be a very dumb question but, Does anyone know the first time
login and password to get into my OS?

Thanks in adveance -= Bill

Frank Hickman

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
Hi Bill,

Try:

login: root
password: {blank}

Password is empty, just hit return.

HTH
--
=================
Frank Hickman

fhic...@home.com
=================

H G Minderman

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98

Funny!
I talked someone into installing Linux lately, and let him muddle with
the installation. The next day, he came to me with the problem that at
the login screen, he hadn't got a clue about how to log in.

Well, when I came to think of it, it isn't even that a strange question
to ask. I do not know what distribution of Linux you installed, but I do
know that Caldera is doing very vague about that first login-password.
I never installed Caldera myself - my friend did, and he knew it - but I
do know that RedHat and I believe Slakware as well ask you to give a
root-password when you install the system.

As I said, I never encountered the problem - and installed RedHat 5 many
times - but did your installation program never ask you to enter a
password? If that is the case, you have to use that one. If it didn't,
I'm not really sure what to do myself, but try to enter 'root' and as
passord 'root' or something similar. If the installation didn't ask for
a password, something like that should work.

By the way, have you checked the documentation of your distribution?

I hope this helped,

Jeroen

Gary Hicken

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
H G Minderman <h.g.mi...@wxs.nl> writes:

> Bill Reid wrote:
> >
> > Hey.
> >
> > Just installed older version of linux.
> >
> > Darkstar login:
> > password:
> >
> > I don't know how to log in!
> > I have read everything I could find... but I am still not proficient
> > enough to know where to look.
> >
> > This could be a very dumb question but, Does anyone know the first time
> > login and password to get into my OS?
> >
> > Thanks in adveance -= Bill

Wow! I haven't seen a darkstar login in years. I believe that you just
type 'root' as your login and you don't need a password.

Gary

--
-------Gary Hicken-------------------------------------------
Redhat 5.0 Linux kernel 2.0.34

Alan

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 02:41:41 -0400, Bill Reid <w...@cstone.net> wrote:

>Hey.
>
>Just installed older version of linux.
>
>Darkstar login:
>password:

root usually, with no password

just type : root

>I don't know how to log in!
>I have read everything I could find... but I am still not proficient
>enough to know where to look.
>
>This could be a very dumb question but, Does anyone know the first time
>login and password to get into my OS?

It is rather.... But we all have to start somewhere..... Get back to
me when you have discovered how powerful the delete command is....

rm -rf /usr

;-)

Alan.
From Orbit Productions
www.FromOrbit.com

Thomas Willomitzer

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
try user root, no password

In article <360C8CA5...@cstone.net>, w...@cstone.net says...

>Hey.
>
>Just installed older version of linux.
>
>Darkstar login:
>password:
>

>I don't know how to log in!
>I have read everything I could find... but I am still not proficient
>enough to know where to look.
>
>This could be a very dumb question but, Does anyone know the first time
>login and password to get into my OS?

Cob

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
On 29 Sep 1998 01:21:12 GMT, wi...@pro.farmersmanual.co.at (Thomas
Willomitzer) wrote:

use root
for the password just enter

Ernesto Hernandez-Novich

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Alan (Al...@FromOrbit.com) wrote:
: On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 02:41:41 -0400, Bill Reid <w...@cstone.net> wrote:

: >I don't know how to log in!

: >I have read everything I could find... but I am still not proficient
: >enough to know where to look.
: >
: >This could be a very dumb question but, Does anyone know the first time
: >login and password to get into my OS?

: It is rather.... But we all have to start somewhere..... Get back to

: me when you have discovered how powerful the delete command is....

: rm -rf /usr

Man! Completely uncalled for! Yet VERY funny!

--
Ernesto Hernández-Novich - em...@telcel.net.ve - ICQ #9945705
Just another Unix/Perl/Java hacker running Linux 2.0.35

Adrian Hardy

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
Alan (Al...@FromOrbit.com) wrote:
: On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 02:41:41 -0400, Bill Reid <w...@cstone.net> wrote:
: >Hey.

: >Just installed older version of linux.
: >Darkstar login:
: >password:
: root usually, with no password
: just type : root

: >
: >This could be a very dumb question but, Does anyone know the first time
: >login and password to get into my OS?
: It is rather.... But we all have to start somewhere..... Get back to
: me when you have discovered how powerful the delete command is....
:
: rm -rf /usr

Hmm that's not to bad comparing to some of my first time mistakes. Muddling
up what hda partition I wanted to use. And turning a partition full of data
in to one gigantic swapfile :)

Ah well... live and learn (and re-install, and re-install)

Adrian