System not usable after a "could not getpeername" error

Andreas Moroder

Aug 27, 2010, 2:06:03 PM8/27/10
Hello,

we have a old 2.4.19-64GB-SMP server ( we can not change it at the
moment ) . Today it freezed twice and we had to reboot via sysreq.

In /var/log/messages I found

Aug 27 17:22:08 galileo2 -- MARK --
Aug 27 17:38:01 galileo2 inetd[1397]: could not getpeername
Aug 27 17:38:08 galileo2 inetd[1397]: could not getpeername
Aug 27 17:39:34 galileo2 last message repeated 2 times

Can anyone please tell me what could be the reason for this error and
why it makes unusable the machine ?

Thanks
Andreas

Joe Beanfish

Aug 30, 2010, 1:45:34 PM8/30/10

Assuming the system has been fully functional in the past you may be
getting hit by forged packets that are evoking a kernel bug.

You could run tcpdump so you can see what came in right before the next
freeze. And/or setup iptables to block all but desired traffic.