Alternatives to GNOME and KDE?

Nick slotty Richards

Jul 15, 2002, 11:33:23 PM7/15/02
I have to install a linux box at work. I did it once before a few
years ago however I only ever used GNOME I did change to KDE but it
was just a little muck around thing at home all I really discovered
was I couldn't run games very well. However Linux is the new fad in
the business world lately and they want Linux! are there any good
looking desktop alternatives out there?

mjt

Jul 16, 2002, 10:07:40 AM7/16/02

Michael Lane

Jul 17, 2002, 1:20:17 AM7/17/02

1) mjt is a whino
2) ICEWM http://www.icewm.org/ (old favourite of mine)
3) Enlightenment www.enlightenment.org/ (a recent favourite)
4) Window Maker www.windowmaker.org/ (growing in popularity)
5) Sawfish sawmill.sourceforge.net/ (this is under most versions of
GNOME)
6) vTWM http://www.visi.com/~hawkeyd/vtwm.html (from one of the OLDEST,
twm)
7) BlackBox http://blackboxwm.sf.net (needs more dev, but very decent)
8) FVWM http://www.fvwm.org (Oldest WM and intentional Explorer
knockoff)
9) THE LIST: http://www.plig.org/xwinman/ (these and more)

Notice: These are extended windows managers and not true Desktop
Environments for the most part. Ironically, GNOME is a desktop
environment without a window manager.

KDE, CDE and XFCE3 are full desktops (GNOME is a full desktop but lacks
itsown WM)
CDE is the mother desktop (from Sun). KDE copied the best parts of CDE
and Explorer (referring to Win9x graphical shell LISP(Just incase you
were wondering where you could get explorer)). XFce is a fully free
(using gnu libs rather than qt) and lightweight recreation of CDE. CDE
is the "Common Desktop Environment" as found on most commercial
POSIX-compliant operating systems for sometime.