Linux kernel support for Coffee Lake?

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 12, 2017, 9:05:07 AM11/12/17
The choices end at Skylake with the current v. 4.13... Windoze 10 has good support. The Linux geeks again have to wait for the lazy and sloppy hobbyware developers to catch up with the latest hardware perhaps at 4.15? Linux has only good support for the outdated dumpster hardware....

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.15-CFL-No-Alpha

F. Russell

Nov 12, 2017, 9:28:01 AM11/12/17
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 06:05:02 -0800, Takuya Saitoh wrote:

> The choices end at Skylake with the current v. 4.13...

Fucking bullshit from a fucking asshole!

Kernel 4.13 HAS Intel UHD support. However, the driver is provided by
Intel developers on the Intel payroll and the Linux kernel must be booted
with the "i915.alpha_support=1" parameter.

So go and fuck yourself, you despicable lying sack of shit.

But if anyone must be blamed it is the INTEL DEVELOPERS who are
slacking off.

F. Russell

Nov 12, 2017, 9:34:33 AM11/12/17
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 06:05:02 -0800, Takuya Saitoh wrote:

> Windoze 10 has good support.

Is this what you mean by "good support:"

http://digiworthy.com/2016/10/07/no-support-intel-cannonlake-coffee-lake-cpus-windows-10-ltsb

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! This is typical incompetent
Microshit bullshit and will NEVER HAPPEN with GNU/Linux.

Eat your own shit and die, lying faggot.

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 12, 2017, 11:18:30 AM11/12/17
UHD doesn't mean full CPU optimization, Jack. Where is the CONFIG_MCOFFEE option???

# CONFIG_MK8 is not set
# CONFIG_MK8SSE3 is not set
# CONFIG_MK10 is not set
# CONFIG_MBARCELONA is not set
# CONFIG_MBOBCAT is not set
# CONFIG_MJAGUAR is not set
# CONFIG_MBULLDOZER is not set
# CONFIG_MPILEDRIVER is not set
# CONFIG_MSTEAMROLLER is not set
# CONFIG_MEXCAVATOR is not set
# CONFIG_MZEN is not set
# CONFIG_MPSC is not set
# CONFIG_MATOM is not set
CONFIG_MCORE2=y
# CONFIG_MNEHALEM is not set
# CONFIG_MWESTMERE is not set
# CONFIG_MSILVERMONT is not set
# CONFIG_MSANDYBRIDGE is not set
# CONFIG_MIVYBRIDGE is not set
# CONFIG_MHASWELL is not set
# CONFIG_MBROADWELL is not set
# CONFIG_MSKYLAKE is not set

All ends at SKYLAKE. Now what, are yo going to blame the GCC developers for this???

F. Russell

Nov 12, 2017, 12:40:16 PM11/12/17
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 08:18:26 -0800, Takuya Saitoh wrote:

> Where is the CONFIG_MCOFFEE option???

That option is up your fucking asshole.

The correct option is CONFIG_DRM_I915_ALPHA_SUPPORT.

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/DRM_I915_ALPHA_SUPPORT.html

Fuck off, you ignoramus asshole idiot.

Me Sham

Nov 12, 2017, 12:48:49 PM11/12/17
No stable support for Kaby Lake onward. Pitiful.

Oh, and gcc is trash.

Melzzzzz

Nov 12, 2017, 4:51:46 PM11/12/17
Intel driver is developed by Intel and contributed to kernel.
This is somewhat missleading. iGPU will work, albeit no acceleration ;p

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 12, 2017, 8:14:50 PM11/12/17
Most people use an add on VGA card like Nvidia to get real 4k... The on cpu GPU is trash. WHere is the option to optimize the kernel for the Intel 8th generation processors like Coffee lake?? Fib is always bragging 'bout compiling everything fit perfectly to a given CPU like Gentoo does... We are left with plain universal x86_64 support at this moment :-(

Melzzzzz

Nov 12, 2017, 8:25:32 PM11/12/17
Don't worry. kernel is well optimised usually years before. (compiler
options are just for architecture in general, while particular code is
embedded within kernel).

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 12, 2017, 8:35:16 PM11/12/17
I don't see any optimizations for the 8th generation CPU, the i915 UHD stuff is same as in the previous generation just labeled alpha because the jerks are not aware the GPU part is left same....

Melzzzzz

Nov 12, 2017, 8:38:15 PM11/12/17
I am not talking about GPU. That does Intel. I am talking about features
like avx512 introduced in Skylake-X cpus in last June.
That was added in kernel 3.15...

Melzzzzz

Nov 12, 2017, 8:44:43 PM11/12/17
eg if one wants to use advanced features of Xeon Phi one have to use
Linux as by the time Windows haven't supported them. Check when Windows
10 got support for AVX512? Heck, their assembler got support for that in
October while CPU's got out in June ;)
Not to mention Xeon PHI, last year ...

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 12, 2017, 9:04:10 PM11/12/17
That is all Skylake specific, talk about Coffee Lake! Optane?

Melzzzzz

Nov 12, 2017, 9:39:37 PM11/12/17
What about Coffee Lake? Coffee Lake has less features then Skylake-X...

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 13, 2017, 12:18:30 AM11/13/17
Basically it's about the Z370 chipset, Skylake cannot run on it....

We are due for the Cannon Lake that would include eight-core desktop CPUs and a new Z390 motherboard platform and Linux still not fully compatible with this Z370....

Melzzzzz

Nov 13, 2017, 12:26:15 AM11/13/17
And Coffee Lake cannot run on x299 chipset...

> We are due for the Cannon Lake that would include eight-core desktop
> CPUs and a new Z390 motherboard platform and Linux still not fully
> compatible with this Z370....
Bullshit. Linux works just fine on z370...

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 13, 2017, 1:59:39 AM11/13/17
"working just fine" and running optimally utilizing all the new chipset and CPU instructions are 2 different things...

F. Russell

Nov 13, 2017, 5:28:20 AM11/13/17
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 01:25:28 +0000, Melzzzzz wrote:

> Don't worry. kernel is well optimised

Don't respond to this idiot. He's just another troublemaker
that doesn't know anything.

He's referring to an UNOFFICIAL patch set that hasn't
been accepted into the stock kernel because it is UNNECESSARY.

The only major difference between the latest Intel processors
is the Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX/AVX2/AVX512) which
do NOT apply to systems programming like the kernel.

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 13, 2017, 6:02:46 AM11/13/17
Melzzzzz wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.15-CFL-No-Alpha

Linux 4.15 Will Finally Graduate Intel "Coffee Lake" Graphics Out Of
Alpha Support

. . .

While the Coffee Lake graphics are basically unchanged from Kabylake,
currently they are marked as "alpha support" and thus will not be enabled
by default on newer distributions unless booting with the
i915.alpha_support=1 kernel parameter (or building your kernel with the
Intel Alpha Kconfig switch). So silly that right now Ubuntu 17.10
and others don't have out-of-the-box accelerated graphics for Coffee Lake
considering that I have yet to run into any problems and the graphics is
basically unchanged since Kabylake. So now not until Linux 4.15 will that
alpha support be removed; not with the upcoming Linux 4.14 kernel. You
can see some of my recent tests in Intel UHD Graphics 630 "Coffee Lake"
On Linux.

Speaking of Tak Yo's brain-attic:

--
You see, I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty
attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool

Chris Ahlstrom

Nov 13, 2017, 6:03:33 AM11/13/17
F. Russell wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 01:25:28 +0000, Melzzzzz wrote:
>
>> Don't worry. kernel is well optimised
>
> Don't respond to this idiot. He's just another troublemaker
> that doesn't know anything.

+1

> He's referring to an UNOFFICIAL patch set that hasn't
> been accepted into the stock kernel because it is UNNECESSARY.
>
> The only major difference between the latest Intel processors
> is the Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX/AVX2/AVX512) which
> do NOT apply to systems programming like the kernel.

--
Many pages make a thick book, except for pocket Bibles which are on very
very thin paper.

Simon bar Sinister

Nov 13, 2017, 8:12:36 AM11/13/17
I was looking for a graphics card at Goodwill. I found a few, but the 2 testing computers that I had tried were dead. Thus, I gave up on it.

No problem, no rush.

Taka's ants in your pants attitude is pathetic, Ruth!

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 13, 2017, 11:46:47 PM11/13/17
The on CPU GPU is far enough for yo Moi's eyes! Or yo don't even got that? Full HD is enough for watching yo perv tube videos. Every Core2 on got an Intel graphics on die... 4k UHD quality is not for an old broke pensionist.... On the other hand I can afford the latest Coffee Lake owing that I still have a job but the best of them like 8400 and 8700 are currently sold out in Japan :-(

Jeff-Relf.Me

Nov 14, 2017, 12:48:21 AM11/14/17
The Iris Pro 6200 Graphics iGPU on my i7-5775c plays 4k videos,
60 fps, x264 and x265, just fine, "hardware accelerated".
128 MegaByte 1.8 GigaHz eDRAM, Crystal Well L4 cache on chip.

Every day, YouTube has nice new 4K videos;
thanks to the "4k Video Downloader" app,
they all have properly timed, .MKV embedded ( ASS ) subtitles.

I tell ZoomPlayer Max 14 to let Windows 10 decide how to render it;
LAV ( instead of Win10 ) doesn't work as well, but it's usable.

I don't like 3d games, but "Grand Theft Auto" in 4k works fine,
despite me having NO graphics card ( no eGPU ).

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 14, 2017, 12:59:39 AM11/14/17
i7-5775c iGPU can do 4k at 60Hz?? Are yo using the D-port? Even the newest i7-8700 or i5-8400 iGPU cannot do more than 32Hz at 4k so I'm considering getting at least Nvidia 1050 to have good frame rates....

Jeff-Relf.Me

Nov 14, 2017, 1:39:34 AM11/14/17
> > 128 MegaByte 1.8 GigaHz eDRAM, Crystal Well L4 cache on chip.
>
> i7-5775c iGPU can do 4k at 60Hz??

60 fps, yes.

> Are yo using the D-port?

DisplayPort.  4k, 40 inches, curved, mounted on an ExtraLong arm;
so it's _extremely_ adjustable.  It's at arm's length, most of the time.
I clamped on 3/4 inch plywood, top and botton, to my night stand
( and added a 20 lb counter weight ).

> Even the newest i7-8700 or i5-8400 iGPU cannot do more than 32Hz at 4k
> so I'm considering getting at least Nvidia 1050 to have good frame rates....

Not true; the i7-8700's stats are:

  Max Resolution (DisplayPort): 4096 x 2304 @ 60 Hz
  DirectX 12
  Quick Sync Video
  Graphics Video Memory:  64 GigaBytes
  Execution Units:  24
  UHD Graphics 630
  12 MegaByte Cache, up to 4.60 GHz  ( i7-5775c has 128 MegaBytes )

https://ark.intel.com/products/126686/Intel-Core-i7-8700-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_60-GHz

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 14, 2017, 2:45:46 AM11/14/17
Well that's pretty decent. Not as good as the MAC 5k retina but far enough for "us" at this moment. i7-5775c looks also pretty good, I wanted to upgrade to a i5-8400 which is half the price of i7-8700 and does as good as the Haswells i7. But perhaps the iGPU is better on i7? Should I spend the money? Anyway only the gammers overclockable 95W i7-8700K is available at this moment... I'm gonna get the 65W.

Melzzzzz

Nov 14, 2017, 7:26:20 AM11/14/17
Heh, 8700 is best CPU currently IMO, but no avx 512 ;). therefore
I will buy 7800X anyway ;)

chrisv

Nov 14, 2017, 8:30:37 AM11/14/17
Melzzzzz wrote:

> the bigot and kook Takuya Saitoh wrote:
>>
>> the kook Jeff-Relf.Me wrote:
>>>
>>> the i7-8700's stats are:
>>>
>>> Max Resolution (DisplayPort): 4096 x 2304 @ 60 Hz
>>> DirectX 12
>>> Quick Sync Video
>>> Graphics Video Memory: 64 GigaBytes
>>> Execution Units: 24
>>> UHD Graphics 630
>>> 12 MegaByte Cache, up to 4.60 GHz ( i7-5775c has 128 MegaBytes )
>>>
>>> https://ark.intel.com/products/126686/Intel-Core-i7-8700-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_60-GHz
>>
>> Well that's pretty decent. Not as good as the MAC 5k retina but far
>> enough for "us" at this moment.

They both suck. 16:9 computer displays suck. They are not tall
enough. 16:10 is better, and 3:2 would be better yet.

>> i7-5775c looks also pretty good, I
>> wanted to upgrade to a i5-8400 which is half the price of i7-8700 and
>> does as good as the Haswells i7. But perhaps the iGPU is better on
>> i7? Should I spend the money? Anyway only the gammers overclockable
>> 95W i7-8700K is available at this moment... I'm gonna get the 65W.

The 65W part is a much more responsible choice, environmentally.

--
"Most people dont want a choice. Thats why people ship windows." -
"True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 14, 2017, 10:56:54 AM11/14/17
Yo loose the on die GPU and the Linux software cannot take advantage of the avx512 anyway....

Jeff-Relf.Me

Nov 14, 2017, 11:04:01 AM11/14/17
> But perhaps the iGPU is better on i7?  Should I spend the money?

No, it's the I/O, the OnChip cache.
Compared to the $359 ( in stock ) i7-8700,
my $440 i7-5775c has a larger cache ( 128 MegaBytes Vs. 12 ).

> Anyway only the gammers overclockable 95W i7-8700K
> is available at this moment...  I'm gonna get the 65W.

My i7-5775c uses only the fan that came with the chip,
and it's nearly room temperature.

Doomsdrzej

Nov 14, 2017, 11:57:06 AM11/14/17
What exactly do you do with your computer which requires such
processing power, Jeff Relf of Seattle, Washington, United States of
America?

Serg io

Nov 14, 2017, 1:18:03 PM11/14/17

Me Sham

Nov 14, 2017, 2:52:56 PM11/14/17
Stare at his eye-searing homemade text editor with its dark green text on brown background, of course.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Nov 14, 2017, 3:15:10 PM11/14/17
> > The Iris Pro 6200 Graphics iGPU on my i7-5775c plays 4k videos,
> > 60 fps, x264 and x265, just fine, "hardware accelerated".
> > 128 MegaByte 1.8 GigaHz eDRAM, Crystal Well L4 cache on chip.
>
> What exactly do you do with your computer which requires such
> processing power, Jeff Relf of Seattle ?

4k 60 fps videos, RandomSeek, would be taxing on a lesser CPU/iGPU.
_Updated_ Software is vital too ( as it's constantly improving ).

  I tell ZoomPlayer Max 14 to let Windows 10 decide how to render it;
  LAV ( instead of Win10 ) doesn't work as well, but it's usable.

  Every day, YouTube has nice new 4K videos;
  thanks to the LATEST "4k Video Downloader" app,
  they all have properly timed, .MKV embedded ( ASS ) subtitles.

Melzzzzz

Nov 14, 2017, 3:55:29 PM11/14/17
Bullshot. First CPU that supports avx512 is Xeon Phi and that one runs
Linux only ;)

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 14, 2017, 8:18:18 PM11/14/17
Well, that's interesting! Is there any MB with at least 8 SATA sockets, on board 32G M2 SSD which I could use for this Broadwell chip? I have been thinking 'bout the ASrock Extreme4 Z370 so far but that's only for Coffee Lake onward....

"Everything isn’t even, though. The pair of Broadwell C chips Intel has produced feature a massive 128MB of Level 4 (L4) cache using embedded DRAM. This cache is slower than the cache integrated into the CPU itself ,but because it’s actually a chip sitting next to the CPU and wired directly to it, it’s a magnitude faster than using system RAM.

Like the Broadwell desktop chip, the eDRAM’s existence is mostly to address graphics performance, where memory bandwidth is king."

MORE: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2950704/hardware/intel-core-i7-5775c-review-the-unwanted-desktop-broadwell-has-one-neat-trick.html

Jeff-Relf.Me

Nov 14, 2017, 8:58:17 PM11/14/17
> > Compared to the $359 ( in stock ) i7-8700,
> > my $440 i7-5775c has a larger cache ( 128 MegaBytes Vs. 12 ).
> > My i7-5775c uses only the fan that came with the chip,
> > and it's nearly room temperature.
>
> Well, that's interesting!

Yes, it's 77°F, near room temperature;
and it exceeds 4 GigaHz, when required.

Most of the 3.5 Watt draw is for the IO;
a.k.a. the "UnCore" or "system agent".
The core itself draws less than a Watt.

The 4k iGPU ( Iris Pro 6200 Graphics ) usually draws Zero Watts.
My 16 gigs of 1.9 GigaHz DRAM cards are cold to the touch;
they're drawing 2.6 Watts.

> Is there any MB with at least 8 SATA sockets,
> on board 32G M2 SSD which I could use for this Broadwell chip?

I don't know, my ASUS GRYPHON Z97 has 6 x SATA III,
6 GigaBitsPerSecond.

The TeraByte SSD was installed Nov, 2015.
$299 Samsung 850 EVO, SATA III, 3 Watts, superHigh IOPS,
1 gig RAM buffer and a 3 core CPU/controller.
"5 Years or 300 Terabytes Written" Warranty;
i.e. it can write 80 gigs per day, each day, for 10 years.

Fanless PowerSupply; no spinners.

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 14, 2017, 9:49:48 PM11/14/17
That's pretty cool! SO my only reason to get a new system is the Optane M.2 slot for blazing system speed.

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 MZ-V6E250B/IT
PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe1.2
3200MB/s !!!!

Me Sham

Nov 14, 2017, 10:45:24 PM11/14/17
EVO is Feebian pleb-tier shit. Get a Pro.

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 15, 2017, 12:07:09 AM11/15/17
Can you explain? Is there anything better than 3200MB/s with the Z370 chipset?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11860/z370-motherboards-asus-asrock-ecs-evga-biostar-msi-gigabyte

Jeff-Relf.Me

Nov 16, 2017, 4:57:51 PM11/16/17

> > > SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 MZ-V6E250B/IT   PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe1.2  3200MB/s  !!!!
> >
> > EVO is Feebian pleb-tier shit. Get a Pro.
>
> Can you explain?  Is there anything better than 3200MB/s with the Z370 chipset?

When it comes to 4 KiloByte Reads and Writes ( Random or Sequential ),
my $299 Samsung 850 EVO actually _beats_ four Samsung's NVMe 960 Pros
on two "3200MB/s" buses.   Also, support for NVMe is nearly nonexistent.
And NVMe cards run hot, so they die years sooner.

" Most INSANE SSD RAID Setup – IT BOOTS! "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzzavO5a4OQ

Me Sham

Nov 16, 2017, 7:35:45 PM11/16/17
Nonexistent? You fucking idiot.

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 16, 2017, 8:15:50 PM11/16/17
On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 9:35:45 AM UTC+9, Me Sham wrote:

> > > Can you explain? Is there anything better than 3200MB/s with the Z370 chipset?
> >
> > When it comes to 4 KiloByte Reads and Writes ( Random or Sequential ),
> > my $299 Samsung 850 EVO actually _beats_ four Samsung's NVMe 960 Pros
> > on two "3200MB/s" buses. Also, support for NVMe is nearly nonexistent.
> > And NVMe cards run hot, so they die years sooner.

How hot do they run on Linux, yo meant _Linux_ support nonexistent?

Yo connect through SATA/AHCI or PCIe?

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 16, 2017, 9:12:51 PM11/16/17
SATA is the market incumbent and dominant interface for connecting an SSD to the PC. It employs the command protocol AHCI (it also supports IDE) which was built with slower spinning disks in mind rather than flash memory. SATA transfer rates begin at 150 MB/s and max out at 600 MB/s for third generation technology. For most consumer uses of SSDs this is absolutely adequate.

PCIe (PCI Express) supersedes SATA as the latest high bandwidth interface. Entry level PCIe SSD speeds are two to three times faster than the older generation of SATA 3.0 SSDs mainly due to the number of channels contained by each to transfer data (roughly 10 for SATA and 25 for PCIe). However, depending on usage, real world benchmarks may not reflect this massive gain due to bottlenecks elsewhere in the PC. We leave it to your interpretation of thousand of real world benchmarks (e.g. OCZ RevoDrive 350 PCIe vs Samsung 850 Pro SATA 3.0) to assess whether the premium is justified for PCIe NVMe versus SATA SSDs

NVMe is the latest high performance and optimized protocol which supersedes AHCI and compliments PCIe technology. It offers an optimised command and completion path for use with NVMe based storage. It was developed by a consortium of manufacturers specifically for SSDs to overcome the speed bottleneck imposed by the older SATA connection. It is akin to a more efficient language between storage device and PC: one message needs to be sent for a 4GB transfer instead of two, NVMe can handle 65,000 queues of data each with 65,000 commands, instead of one queue that with the capacity for 32 commands, and it only has seven major commands (read, write, flush etc). NVMe delivers better performance and reduced latency and is a scalable, but at a price! Take a look at Samsung’s offering of this technology in the 950 Pro to see how performance and price compares. This particular drive relies upon a new M.2 internal mount on the PC motherboard, as presumably will other future NVMe based SSDs. NVMe will also be the protocol of choice for the next generation of storage technologies such as 3D XPoint.

SOURCE: http://www.userbenchmark.com/Faq/What-s-the-difference-between-SATA-PCIe-and-NVMe/105

MORE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVM_Express

NVMe: Built for SSDs

If you’ve read our SSD coverage over the past couple of years, it shouldn’t be news that solid state storage has run into a significant hurdle: legacy storage buses. Serial ATA and Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) offer plenty of bandwidth for hard drives, but for increasingly speedy SSDs, they’ve run out of steam.

Because of SATA’s 600Gbps ceiling, just about any top-flight SATA SSD will score the same in our testing these days—around 500MBps. Even 12GBps SAS SSD performance stalls at around 1.5GBps. SSD technology is capable of much more.

The industry knew this impasse was coming from the get-go. SSDs have far more in common with fast system memory than with the slow hard drives they emulate. It was simply more convenient to use the existing PC storage infrastructure, putting SSDs on relatively slow (compared to memory) SATA and SAS. For a long time this was fine, as it took a while for SSDs to ramp up in speed. Those days are long gone.

Melzzzzz

Nov 16, 2017, 9:18:04 PM11/16/17
On 2017-11-17, Takuya Saitoh <taka...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is old news. You are two years late...

Takuya Saitoh

Nov 16, 2017, 9:20:46 PM11/16/17
On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 6:57:51 AM UTC+9, Jeff-Relf.Me wrote:

> > > EVO is Feebian pleb-tier shit. Get a Pro.
> >
> > Can you explain? Is there anything better than 3200MB/s with the Z370 chipset?
>
> When it comes to 4 KiloByte Reads and Writes ( Random or Sequential ),
> my $299 Samsung 850 EVO actually _beats_ four Samsung's NVMe 960 Pros
> on two "3200MB/s" buses.

Well:

850 EVO: sequential read up to 520 MB/s
http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/850evo.html

960 EVO NVMe: 3,200MB/s Seq. Read
https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-960-evo-m-2-250gb-mz-v6e250bw/

Jeff-Relf.Me

Nov 16, 2017, 9:40:31 PM11/16/17
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVM_Express

Check RealWorld benchmarks ( and warranties ), won't you ? ! :

  " Most INSANE SSD RAID Setup – IT BOOTS! "
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzzavO5a4OQ

Note how _difficult_ it is to get up an running properly.
Forget Intel, you need an expert from AMD to visit your house.

Even if you manage to get that far, with SemiWorking soft/hardware,
it's still slower than my SATA III SSD when it comes to
4 KiloByte Reads and Writes ( Random or Queued ).

Check the Samsung NVMe 960 Pro warrenty,
it's YEARS shorter than the one I have, because it runs HOT.

  $299 Samsung 850 EVO, SATA III, 3 Watts, superHigh IOPS,
  1 gig RAM buffer and a 3 core CPU/controller.
  "5 Years or 300 Terabytes Written" warranty;
  i.e. it can write 80 gigs per day, each day, for 10 years.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Nov 16, 2017, 9:51:16 PM11/16/17

"Sequential Reads" aren't _RealWorld_.
Give me _RealWorld_ benchmarks, not Samsung's lies.

  " Most INSANE SSD RAID Setup – IT BOOTS! "
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzzavO5a4OQ

chrisv

Nov 17, 2017, 8:11:52 AM11/17/17

>> > Can you explain? Is there anything better than 3200MB/s with the Z370 chipset?
>>
>> When it comes to 4 KiloByte Reads and Writes ( Random or Sequential ),
>> my $299 Samsung 850 EVO actually _beats_ four Samsung's NVMe 960 Pros
>> on two "3200MB/s" buses.

There's no reason for any normal person to care which is faster - they
are both blazing fast. The only reason that I would go for the Pro is
for the better longevity, due to its use of 2 bit MLC vs. 3bit TLC in
the EVO - and, really, that's paranoia on my part.

>> Also, support for NVMe is nearly nonexistent.

Huh?

>> And NVMe cards run hot, so they die years sooner.

Some better motherboards provide a heatsink for the them. I've no
first-hand experience with this, but I plan on building such a system,
this Winter.

P.S. More people would read your posts, if not for the HTML, you
know.

--
"You're an idiot, turd. Who knows how many $hundreds (or even low
$thousands) Old Friend has saved by freeloading." - some dumb fsck,