How to build custom kernels for ARM plug computers

7

Feb 24, 2011, 2:41:02 PM2/24/11
How to build custom kernels for ARM plug computers

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/7304/1/

Lots links and pointers to stuff there on building
custom kernels.

Gregory Shearman

Feb 25, 2011, 12:39:59 AM2/25/11

It was dead simple to put Gentoo on my SheevaPlug. The kernel was the
easiest part:

Download a vanilla kernel then:

make kirkwood_defconfig menuconfig

make uImage && make modules_install

Install the uboot image to flash and then reboot.

Voila!

--
Regards,
Gregory.

flatfish+++

Feb 25, 2011, 12:07:27 PM2/25/11
On 25 Feb 2011 05:39:59 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:

> On 2011-02> It was dead simple to put Gentoo on my SheevaPlug. The kernel was the
> easiest part:

Sounds bizarre..

TomB

Feb 25, 2011, 1:56:55 PM2/25/11
On 2011-02-25, the following emerged from the brain of flatfish+++:

To the sufficiently perverse mind perhaps...

--
In the beginning there was nothing. God said, 'Let there be light!' And
there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole

flatfish+++

Feb 25, 2011, 2:06:20 PM2/25/11
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:56:55 GMT, TomB wrote:

> On 2011-02-25, the following emerged from the brain of flatfish+++:
>> On 25 Feb 2011 05:39:59 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>>
>>> On 2011-02> It was dead simple to put Gentoo on my SheevaPlug. The
>>> kernel was the easiest part:
>>
>> Sounds bizarre..
>
> To the sufficiently perverse mind perhaps...

No, to anyone who is even remotely normal.

Why does Linux and FOSS use such bizarre names?

JEDIDIAH

Feb 25, 2011, 1:08:12 PM2/25/11

How are you going to get Windows on a Shevaplug?

--
"Microsoft looks at new ideas, they don't evaluate whether
the idea will move the industry forward, they ask, |||

-- Bill Gates

flatfish+++

Feb 25, 2011, 2:10:20 PM2/25/11
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 12:08:12 -0600, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2011-02-25, flatfish+++ <flat...@marianatrench.com> wrote:
>> On 25 Feb 2011 05:39:59 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>>
>>> On 2011-02> It was dead simple to put Gentoo on my SheevaPlug. The kernel was the
>>> easiest part:
>>>

>> Sounds bizarre..
>
> How are you going to get Windows on a Shevaplug?

Speaking of bizarre.....

TomB

Feb 25, 2011, 2:44:44 PM2/25/11
On 2011-02-25, the following emerged from the brain of flatfish+++:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:56:55 GMT, TomB wrote:

>>> Sounds bizarre..
>>
>> To the sufficiently perverse mind perhaps...
>
> No, to anyone who is even remotely normal.
>
> Why does Linux and FOSS use such bizarre names?

What names are so bizarre to you? Gentoo? A fast penguin. Sheeva? A
fictional character. Plug? There are plugs all around you. Kernel? The
core component of any operating system.

What the hell is so bizarre?

--
Middle age is having a choice between two temptations and choosing the
one that'll get you home earlier.

Snit

Feb 25, 2011, 2:47:37 PM2/25/11
TomB stated in post 201102252...@usenet.drumscum.be on 2/25/11 12:44
PM:

> On 2011-02-25, the following emerged from the brain of flatfish+++:
>> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:56:55 GMT, TomB wrote:
>>> On 2011-02-25, the following emerged from the brain of flatfish+++:

>>> To the sufficiently perverse mind perhaps...
>>
>> No, to anyone who is even remotely normal.
>>
>> Why does Linux and FOSS use such bizarre names?
>
> What names are so bizarre to you? Gentoo? A fast penguin. Sheeva? A
> fictional character. Plug? There are plugs all around you. Kernel? The
> core component of any operating system.
>
> What the hell is so bizarre?

Would be curious how many non-techies would have a clue what was being
talked about at all.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

flatfish+++

Feb 25, 2011, 2:55:42 PM2/25/11
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 19:44:44 GMT, TomB wrote:

> On 2011-02-25, the following emerged from the brain of flatfish+++:
>> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:56:55 GMT, TomB wrote:
>>> On 2011-02-25, the following emerged from the brain of flatfish+++:

>>> To the sufficiently perverse mind perhaps...
>>
>> No, to anyone who is even remotely normal.
>>
>> Why does Linux and FOSS use such bizarre names?
>
> What names are so bizarre to you? Gentoo? A fast penguin. Sheeva? A
> fictional character. Plug? There are plugs all around you. Kernel? The
> core component of any operating system.
>
> What the hell is so bizarre?

The entire phrase.

"It was dead simple to put Gentoo on my SheevaPlug.
The kernel was the easiest part:"

Walk up to 10 people picked at random and utter that nonsense and watch
the reaction.

It's bizarre....

flatfish+++

Feb 25, 2011, 2:57:20 PM2/25/11

You can add in most techies as well because they won't have a clue
either.

Only Linux loons will understand the gibberish being spoken.

All they have to do is figure out how to get the words "Linpus and
Drupal" into the same sentence.

7

Feb 25, 2011, 3:10:17 PM2/25/11
Gregory Shearman wrote:

Thank you for posting that.
You need to post more.

DFS

Feb 25, 2011, 3:12:09 PM2/25/11
On 2/25/2011 2:57 PM, flatfish+++ wrote:

> All they have to do is figure out how to get the words "Linpus and
> Drupal" into the same sentence.

They sound like strains of venereal disease...

flatfish+++

Feb 25, 2011, 3:12:49 PM2/25/11

I agree!

It's an excellent way for the unfortunate "sole" who might stumble into
this cesspit to see freetards in their native environment.

7

Feb 25, 2011, 3:16:58 PM2/25/11
flatfish+++ wrote:

Not as bizzaroo as micoshaft shipping notepad for free and not asking
for a penny copying the freetard distribution model and also
command line dos box just when you went nuts
and thought micoshaft only sold windummy gui products.

Teh cretins also give away source code for free as in freetard in msdn.
What teh hell is going on?

flatfish+++

Feb 25, 2011, 3:19:58 PM2/25/11

Hahahahaha!

Drupal sounds like an 80 yo woman in a bathing suit walking on the
beach..

flatfish+++

Feb 25, 2011, 3:20:48 PM2/25/11

Your Linux based spell check program is not working again 7.

RonB

Feb 25, 2011, 3:51:42 PM2/25/11
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 19:44:44 +0000, TomB wrote:

> On 2011-02-25, the following emerged from the brain of flatfish+++:
>> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:56:55 GMT, TomB wrote:
>>> On 2011-02-25, the following emerged from the brain of flatfish+++:

>>> To the sufficiently perverse mind perhaps...
>>
>> No, to anyone who is even remotely normal.
>>
>> Why does Linux and FOSS use such bizarre names?
>
> What names are so bizarre to you? Gentoo? A fast penguin. Sheeva? A
> fictional character. Plug? There are plugs all around you. Kernel? The
> core component of any operating system.
>
> What the hell is so bizarre?

Apparently the sun rising in the morning is "bizarre" to flatline---.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581

Homer

Feb 25, 2011, 4:36:03 PM2/25/11
Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:

>>> On 2011-02-25, the following emerged from the brain of flatfish+++:

[...]
[...]

> What the hell is so bizarre?

If they'd called it Microsoft SheevaPlug Professional Enterprise Edition
for Workgroups he'd have been drooling all over it. Or maybe if they'd
aspired to Microsoft's usual single-entendre naming conventions, like
"Word" or "Phone", it wouldn't confuse his limited imagination so much.
Then again, Vole did come up with bizarre shit like "Kinect" for a
glorified Webcam, and "Zune" for a turd-inspired music player, so I
don't think flatty's really got anything to whine about.

--
K. | "MS is working fast and furious
http://slated.org | on security." ~ DFS, June 2004

flatfish+++

Feb 25, 2011, 4:44:33 PM2/25/11
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 21:36:03 +0000, Homer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:

> [...]
> [...]
>> What the hell is so bizarre?
>
> If they'd called it Microsoft SheevaPlug Professional Enterprise Edition
> for Workgroups he'd have been drooling all over it.

Microsoft isn't that stupid.

The Linux /FOSS community is.

Drupal.
Linpus.
SheevaPlug
etc

JEDIDIAH

Feb 25, 2011, 5:03:00 PM2/25/11
On 2011-02-25, flatfish+++ <flat...@marianatrench.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 12:08:12 -0600, JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> Sounds bizarre..
>>
>> How are you going to get Windows on a Shevaplug?
>
> Speaking of bizarre.....

They have Windows on phones.

It doesn't get much more bizzare than that.

You guys must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel for material.

What is it? Troll Fatigue Syndrome?

JEDIDIAH

Feb 25, 2011, 5:01:48 PM2/25/11
On 2011-02-25, flatfish+++ <flat...@marianatrench.com> wrote:

No. It's two proper trademarks and a term of art that is a very good
analogy for what that term means in different context. Of course there
is no gaurantee your "man on the street" knows what a "kernel" is in
non-computing terms either.

If you plucked 2 random strong trademarks out of context, they would
sound no less "bizarre" to any outsider.

Snit

Feb 25, 2011, 5:28:21 PM2/25/11
Homer stated in post 3vjl38-...@sky.matrix on 2/25/11 2:36 PM:

> Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:

> [...]
> [...]
>> What the hell is so bizarre?
>
> If they'd called it Microsoft SheevaPlug Professional Enterprise Edition
> for Workgroups he'd have been drooling all over it. Or maybe if they'd
> aspired to Microsoft's usual single-entendre naming conventions, like
> "Word" or "Phone", it wouldn't confuse his limited imagination so much.
> Then again, Vole did come up with bizarre shit like "Kinect" for a
> glorified Webcam, and "Zune" for a turd-inspired music player, so I
> don't think flatty's really got anything to whine about.

Kinect is more than just about being a webcam.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

JEDIDIAH

Feb 25, 2011, 5:36:56 PM2/25/11
On 2011-02-25, flatfish+++ <flat...@marianatrench.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 21:36:03 +0000, Homer wrote:
>
>> Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:

>> [...]
>> [...]
>>> What the hell is so bizarre?
>>
>> If they'd called it Microsoft SheevaPlug Professional Enterprise Edition
>> for Workgroups he'd have been drooling all over it.
>
> Microsoft isn't that stupid.

No. They like trademarks that don't really have any business ever
getting registered.

[deletia]

William Poaster

Feb 25, 2011, 6:31:31 PM2/25/11
Once upon a midnight dreary, as I laboured lone & weary, Homer on
25/2/2011 21:36 shattered the silence with:

> Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:

> [...]
> [...]
>> What the hell is so bizarre?
>
> If they'd called it Microsoft SheevaPlug Professional Enterprise Edition
> for Workgroups he'd have been drooling all over it. Or maybe if they'd
> aspired to Microsoft's usual single-entendre naming conventions, like
> "Word" or "Phone", it wouldn't confuse his limited imagination so much.

Yeah, but just think. If you had a M$ ShiverPlug PEE, & you plugged another
plug into a socket in another room, it could shut down all the power in
your house, & then you'd have to call M$ because you've added something to
the circuit without their permission! ;-)
"Oh, you thought YOU owned the house? Didn't you read the EULA?"
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Same thing might happen if it went down in a BSOD too. <grin>

> Then again, Vole did come up with bizarre shit like "Kinect" for a
> glorified Webcam, and "Zune" for a turd-inspired music player, so I
> don't think flatty's really got anything to whine about.

--
Don't confuse a wintroll with facts, its mind is already made up.
"Microsoft has vast resources, literally billions of dollars in cash, or liquid assets reserves.

Big Steel

Feb 25, 2011, 6:35:34 PM2/25/11
On 2/25/2011 6:31 PM, William Poaster wrote:
> Once upon a midnight dreary, as I laboured lone& weary, Homer on

> 25/2/2011 21:36 shattered the silence with:
>
>> Verily I say unto thee, that TomB spake thusly:

>> [...]
>> [...]
>>> What the hell is so bizarre?
>>
>> If they'd called it Microsoft SheevaPlug Professional Enterprise Edition
>> for Workgroups he'd have been drooling all over it. Or maybe if they'd
>> aspired to Microsoft's usual single-entendre naming conventions, like
>> "Word" or "Phone", it wouldn't confuse his limited imagination so much.
>
> Yeah, but just think. If you had a M$ ShiverPlug PEE,& you plugged another

> plug into a socket in another room, it could shut down all the power in
> your house,& then you'd have to call M$ because you've added something to

> the circuit without their permission! ;-)
> "Oh, you thought YOU owned the house? Didn't you read the EULA?"
> BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Mumbles Boaster is at his best, mumbling again.

Hadron

Feb 25, 2011, 9:38:34 PM2/25/11
flatfish+++ <flat...@marianatrench.com> writes:

I "recall" Jed telling us that it wouldn't be on netbooks either....

flatfish+++

Feb 25, 2011, 10:48:04 PM2/25/11

No surprise there.
When is Jed correct?

DFS

Feb 25, 2011, 8:57:16 PM2/25/11

JED is bizarre. He claimed he would refuse a free Corvette ZR1.

Gregory Shearman

Feb 26, 2011, 12:09:00 AM2/26/11

Unfortunately I work for a living, the wintrolls here don't. Maybe I'll
write more when I retire... in another 15 years... or so... heh heh!

--
Regards,
Gregory.

TomB

Feb 26, 2011, 7:44:25 AM2/26/11
On 2011-02-25, the following emerged from the brain of Snit:

> TomB stated in post 201102252...@usenet.drumscum.be on 2/25/11 12:44
> PM:

>>> No, to anyone who is even remotely normal.
>>>
>>> Why does Linux and FOSS use such bizarre names?
>>
>> What names are so bizarre to you? Gentoo? A fast penguin. Sheeva? A
>> fictional character. Plug? There are plugs all around you. Kernel?
>> The core component of any operating system.
>>
>> What the hell is so bizarre?
>
> Would be curious how many non-techies would have a clue what was
> being talked about at all.

Duh, it's a technical subject. What do you expect?

--
Mijnen deem, mijnen deem
Stoeng heelmaal vol exeem

Snit

Feb 26, 2011, 10:49:12 AM2/26/11
TomB stated in post 201102261...@usenet.drumscum.be on 2/26/11 5:44
AM:

Most would get the idea of installing an OS on a tiny computer... though
they might not really get what an "OS" is, they at least have a vague idea.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

flatfish+++

Feb 26, 2011, 12:15:42 PM2/26/11

Most would get the idea that the Linux loons are out for some "fun on
the farm"......

Jerry McBride

Feb 26, 2011, 6:41:20 PM2/26/11
7 wrote:

Fantastic find here.
Thank you, very much.

From the desk of:
Jerome D. McBride

18:40:47 up 23 min, 2 users, load average: 1.09, 1.33, 0.92

Gregory Shearman

Feb 27, 2011, 12:19:57 AM2/27/11
On 2011-02-26, Jerry McBride <jmcb...@mail-on.us> wrote:
> 7 wrote:
>
>> Gregory Shearman wrote:

>>> It was dead simple to put Gentoo on my SheevaPlug. The kernel was the
>>> easiest part:
>>>
>>> Download a vanilla kernel then:
>>>
>>> make kirkwood_defconfig menuconfig
>>>
>>> make uImage && make modules_install
>>>
>>> Install the uboot image to flash and then reboot.
>>>
>>> Voila!
>>

>> Thank you for posting that.
>> You need to post more.
>
> Fantastic find here.
> Thank you, very much.

Want to know more, Jerry?

Read the Gentoo SheevaPlug Bible:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/sheevaplug/install.xml

flatfish+++

Feb 27, 2011, 12:23:49 AM2/27/11

I'd rather read War And Peace.

Gregory Shearman

Feb 27, 2011, 1:41:54 AM2/27/11

Are you *still* here, dickhead?

Go and read Tolstoy. That should keep you busy for the rest of your
miserable,lonely existence.

flatfish+++

Feb 27, 2011, 1:56:39 AM2/27/11
On 27 Feb 2011 06:41:54 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:

> Are you *still* here, dickhead?

Stalking me again George Shearman?

I thought you had me kill filed.

Guess you lied. No surprise there because it's standard for Linux
advocates to lie.

What is it with Linux advocates and their fascination with penis's ?

We have Chris Ahlstrom who claims he is not worthy to wipe a certain
other person's pee pee.

Then we have George Hostler who travels the country measuring other
men's cocks and correlating it to the size bike they ride.

Linux advocates sure are strange people.

> Go and read Tolstoy. That should keep you busy for the rest of your
> miserable,lonely existence.

Been there and done that.
I have a first edition copy in my collection.

JEDIDIAH

Feb 27, 2011, 8:50:43 PM2/27/11

When it's just me and not your fantasies talking.

--
...as if the ability to run Cubase ever made or broke a platform.
/ | \

JEDIDIAH

Feb 27, 2011, 8:50:20 PM2/27/11

I never said it couldn't run on a Sheevaplug.

It would help if there were a suitable version though.

This nonsense about netbooks is just another one of your hallucinations.

JEDIDIAH

Feb 27, 2011, 8:51:41 PM2/27/11

That's like offering me a free copy of Windows.

I've got better already.

If I had the option of "just take the cash", I would do that.

flatfish+++

Feb 27, 2011, 10:14:31 PM2/27/11
On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:51:41 -0600, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2011-02-26, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:

>>> I "recall" Jed telling us that it wouldn't be on netbooks either....
>>
>> JED is bizarre. He claimed he would refuse a free Corvette ZR1.
>
> That's like offering me a free copy of Windows.

You'd take it anyway though.

> I've got better already.

So what are you driving that's superior to a Covette ZR1, especially a
free one?

I can't wait to hear this.

> If I had the option of "just take the cash", I would do that.

I suppose the thought of selling it never occurred to you.

You are one dense person Jeb.

DFS

Feb 28, 2011, 12:52:17 AM2/28/11
On 2/27/2011 8:51 PM, JEDIDIAH wrote:

>> JED is bizarre. He claimed he would refuse a free Corvette ZR1.

> That's like offering me a free copy of Windows.

Yeah, that's exactly what a beastly sports car is like.

> I've got better already.

Of course you don't. You have *different* already, but not better.

> If I had the option of "just take the cash", I would do that.

This isn't like the FOSS world where the products have no value.

You can drive the 'Vette, enjoy it for a while, then sell it if you
want, at a big profit.

And if you made any mods to it, you don't even have to give Chevy back
any money...

Homer

Feb 28, 2011, 1:32:59 AM2/28/11
Verily I say unto thee, that Gregory Shearman spake thusly:

[...]

> Read the Gentoo SheevaPlug Bible:
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/sheevaplug/install.xml

Here's another handy Gentoo tip:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Improve_responsiveness_with_cgroups

I just tried that here, and the difference it makes is significant.

Well, in comparison to an unpatched kernel, at least. GNU/Linux is
already an order of magnitude more responsive than Windows, even without
that patch.

Back-story:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2637_video&num=1

--
K. | "...if there's already data on the drive, the
http://slated.org | files apparently get put in a 'Lost + Found'

Homer

Feb 28, 2011, 2:40:33 AM2/28/11
Verily I say unto thee, that Gregory Shearman spake thusly:
> On 2011-02-27, flatfish+++ <flat...@marianatrench.com> wrote:
>> On 27 Feb 2011 05:19:57 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:

>>> Read the Gentoo SheevaPlug Bible:
>>>
>>> http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/sheevaplug/install.xml
>>
>> I'd rather read War And Peace.

You should. It's one of the finest works of literature ever written.

Here's a sample:

[quote]
Natasha and Pierre, left alone, also began to talk as only a husband and
wife can talk, that is, with extraordinary clearness and rapidity,
understanding and expressing each other's thoughts in ways contrary to
all rules of logic, without premises, deductions, or conclusions, and in
a quite peculiar way. Natasha was so used to this kind of talk with her
husband that for her it was the surest sign of something being wrong
between them if Pierre followed a line of logical reasoning. When he
began proving anything, or talking argumentatively and calmly and she,
led on by his example, began to do the same, she knew that they were on
the verge of a quarrel.
[/quote]

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2600/2600-h/2600-h.htm#2HCH0353

See, even Tolstoy has trolling tips.

> Are you *still* here, dickhead?
>
> Go and read Tolstoy. That should keep you busy for the rest of your
> miserable,lonely existence.

Given that the English translation of War and Peace is approximately
560,000 words in length, and the average reading speed is about 200
words per minute, it would take flatty about 2,800 minutes, or just
under two full days to read. Of course, presumably he'd need some sleep,
so allowing 8 hours per day in the sack, reading 16 hours a day, during
a long weekend or holiday, he should complete the book in about 3 days
straight. If he took his time, and spent just one hour reading it every
night, he'd complete the book in about a month and a half.

A bigger challenge would be Mark Leach's "Marienbad My Love", which at
some 17 MILLION words would take flatty nearly 4 years to read, reading
for 1 hour per day. However, "Marienbad My Love" is literally gibberish,
and not a real novel at all, just a sort of "longest book" experiment.
But then flatty writes a lot of gibberish too, so chances are he'll
probably enjoy reading it.

Chris Ahlstrom

Feb 28, 2011, 6:30:33 AM2/28/11
Homer wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Gregory Shearman spake thusly:

> [...]
>> Read the Gentoo SheevaPlug Bible:
>>
>> http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/sheevaplug/install.xml
>
> Here's another handy Gentoo tip:
>
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Improve_responsiveness_with_cgroups
>
> I just tried that here, and the difference it makes is significant.
>
> Well, in comparison to an unpatched kernel, at least. GNU/Linux is
> already an order of magnitude more responsive than Windows, even without
> that patch.

How would you know? (But my own present-day experience supports your
assertion. The difference in speed can be jaw-dropping in some contexts.)

> Back-story:
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2637_video&num=1

--
Some don't prefer the pursuit of happiness to the happiness of pursuit.

flatfish+++

Feb 28, 2011, 8:21:28 AM2/28/11
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 07:40:33 +0000, Homer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Gregory Shearman spake thusly:

>>> I'd rather read War And Peace.
>
> You should. It's one of the finest works of literature ever written.

Sigh....snipping and replying 3rd party again?
Grow a spine already.

I've read it. I own a first edition albeit in fine not very fine
condition.

> [quote]> A bigger challenge would be Mark Leach's "Marienbad My Love", which at

> some 17 MILLION words would take flatty nearly 4 years to read, reading
> for 1 hour per day. However, "Marienbad My Love" is literally gibberish,
> and not a real novel at all, just a sort of "longest book" experiment.
> But then flatty writes a lot of gibberish too, so chances are he'll
> probably enjoy reading it.

Sounds like Linux......

Hadron

Feb 28, 2011, 8:27:47 AM2/28/11
flatfish+++ <flat...@marianatrench.com> writes:

Sounds like a 3 post dialogue between Homer and Rexx "Kingmaker"
Ballard.

flatfish+++

Feb 28, 2011, 8:44:03 AM2/28/11

Bwaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Rex could fill an entire bookshelf with all the crap he slings.
I wonder if he is a motor mouth as well?

chrisv

Feb 28, 2011, 8:49:16 AM2/28/11
JEDIDIAH wrote:

> mentally-ill troll wrote:
>>
>> "It was dead simple to put Gentoo on my SheevaPlug.
>> The kernel was the easiest part:"
>>

>> Walk up to 10 people picked at random and utter that nonsense and watch
>> the reaction.

10 people picked at random would say that only someone who is
mentally-ill would attempt to make such an idiotic "point".

>> It's bizarre....

Indeed.

> No. It's two proper trademarks and a term of art that is a very good
>analogy for what that term means in different context. Of course there
>is no gaurantee your "man on the street" knows what a "kernel" is in
>non-computing terms either.
>
> If you plucked 2 random strong trademarks out of context, they would
>sound no less "bizarre" to any outsider.

Normal people on the street don't know about technical stuff that's
outside of their fields. Wow. I guess that makes those technical
things unimportant, like software Freedom!

chrisv

Feb 28, 2011, 8:52:59 AM2/28/11
Homer wrote:

>>> I'd rather read War And Peace.
>
>You should. It's one of the finest works of literature ever written.

It's on my list for next Winter. A bit daunting, I must admit. I'm
reading Don Quixote, at the present. (Quite good.)

flatfish+++

Feb 28, 2011, 8:55:54 AM2/28/11

Well you have good taste in literature.

JEDIDIAH

Feb 28, 2011, 10:05:52 AM2/28/11
On 2011-02-28, flatfish+++ <flat...@marianatrench.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:51:41 -0600, JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> JED is bizarre. He claimed he would refuse a free Corvette ZR1.
>>
>> That's like offering me a free copy of Windows.
>
> You'd take it anyway though.
>
>> I've got better already.
>
> So what are you driving that's superior to a Covette ZR1, especially a
> free one?

...a car better than a Corvette.

That's not hard to come by.

Not everyone drools over a Corvette.

I suspect you've never even been inside one to know why you would or
would not even want one. It's probably the same for any other "car that's
supposed to sound impressive to the rest of us".

[deletia]

--
Oracle... can't live with it... |||
/ | \

flatfish+++

Feb 28, 2011, 11:47:46 AM2/28/11

I've owned several in fact.
Not ZR1 though.

It's not a matter of "drooling" Jeb because I can buy I want.

At the moment I prefer my Shelby Mustang.

You've never even seen the inside of a Vette unless it was someone elses
or sitting on the show room floor.

JEDIDIAH

Feb 28, 2011, 12:55:50 PM2/28/11

...sure. Whatever.

Guess I hit another one of those non-nerves.

You are either a terrible poser or have no taste or both. It's pretty much
the same to me either way.

--
On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were |||
meant to be computationally convenient rather than just / | \
arbitrarily assigned.

Ezekiel

Feb 28, 2011, 9:28:58 PM2/28/11

"JEDIDIAH" <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote in message

> You are either a terrible poser or have no taste or both. It's pretty
> much
> the same to me either way.

Talk about a poser. *You* are the one claiming that if a $100k car were
given to you for free that you would turn it down.

If anyone here is the poser it's you. You're either the biggest poser or the
worlds biggest idiot... which is it?

Homer

Feb 28, 2011, 9:50:01 PM2/28/11
Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:

> Homer wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>> Here's another handy Gentoo tip:

>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Improve_responsiveness_with_cgroups
>>
>> I just tried that here, and the difference it makes is significant.
>>
>> Well, in comparison to an unpatched kernel, at least. GNU/Linux is
>> already an order of magnitude more responsive than Windows, even
>> without that patch.
>
> How would you know?

Because I've used every version of Windows, up to and including Vista.
And as far as Vista 7 is concerned, I only need to be able to read the
swath of complaints on Windows forums and newsgroups. They all say the
same thing: XP is faster and more responsive than Vista and 7. So it's
not hard to figure out that, if Linux is more responsive than XP, then
it's also more responsive than Vista and 7. This is exactly why 60% of
Windows users are still using XP, after all. That, and compatibility.

> (But my own present-day experience supports your assertion. The
> difference in speed can be jaw-dropping in some contexts.)
>
>> Back-story:
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2637_video&num=1

--

K. | "...if there's already data on the drive, the
http://slated.org | files apparently get put in a 'Lost + Found'
Fedora 8 (Werewolf) on sky | folder during the format." ~ the idiot, DFS.

kernel 2.6.31.5, up 14 days | http://tinyurl.com/doofygoofs2

flatfish+++

Feb 28, 2011, 10:25:13 PM2/28/11

He's a complete idiot.

JEDIDIAH

Mar 1, 2011, 4:39:59 PM3/1/11
On 2011-03-01, Ezekiel <ze...@nosuchmail.com> wrote:

> "JEDIDIAH" <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote in message

>> You are either a terrible poser or have no taste or both. It's pretty
>> much
>> the same to me either way.
>>

> Talk about a poser. *You* are the one claiming that if a $100k car were
> given to you for free that you would turn it down.

The pricetag of the turd doesn't matter.

Yes. Believe it or not, not everyone shares your personal conspicous
consuption fetish.

--
"If I give you a pfennig, you will be one pfennig richer and
I'll be one pfennig poorer. But if I give you an idea, you will |||

JEDIDIAH

Mar 1, 2011, 4:40:48 PM3/1/11

I have no reason to covet such a car.

flatfish+++

Mar 1, 2011, 10:03:18 PM3/1/11
On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 15:39:59 -0600, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2011-03-01, Ezekiel <ze...@nosuchmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> "JEDIDIAH" <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote in message

>>> You are either a terrible poser or have no taste or both. It's pretty
>>> much
>>> the same to me either way.
>>>

>> Talk about a poser. *You* are the one claiming that if a $100k car were
>> given to you for free that you would turn it down.
>
> The pricetag of the turd doesn't matter.
>
> Yes. Believe it or not, not everyone shares your personal conspicous
> consuption fetish.

You have to be the biggest idiot on the planet jeb.
Seriously.

flatfish+++

Mar 1, 2011, 10:03:59 PM3/1/11
On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 15:40:48 -0600, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2011-03-01, flatfish+++ <flat...@marianatrench.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:28:58 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:
>>
>>> "JEDIDIAH" <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote in message

>>> Talk about a poser. *You* are the one claiming that if a $100k car were
>>> given to you for free that you would turn it down.
>>>
>>> If anyone here is the poser it's you. You're either the biggest poser or the
>>> worlds biggest idiot... which is it?
>>
>> He's a complete idiot.
>
> I have no reason to covet such a car.

You were just offered it for free.
Duhhh.....

So sell it and donate the money to charity.

You must be a real boob.

JEDIDIAH

Mar 1, 2011, 10:09:22 PM3/1/11

MSOffice is completely unremarkable except for the fact |||
that it is most compatable with itself. / | \

JEDIDIAH

Mar 1, 2011, 10:13:04 PM3/1/11
On 2011-03-02, flatfish+++ <flat...@marianatrench.com> wrote:

...and Yes. Believe it or not, not everyone shares every particular
conspicuous consumption fetish you might have.

Although on the subject of "boobery", I don't think it ever occured to
you Lemming nitwits that there might be very real tax consequences of all
of these sorts of shenanigans that should not be taken lightly.

That's what happens when posers start to drone on about things and amounts
of money that they clearly have no experience with.

Ezekiel

Mar 3, 2011, 8:26:25 PM3/3/11

> Although on the subject of "boobery", I don't think it ever occured to
> you Lemming nitwits that there might be very real tax consequences of all
> of these sorts of shenanigans that should not be taken lightly.

Ahhhh.... so you can't afford to pay the taxes on a ZR1. You should have
just come out and said so earlier.

flatfish+++

Mar 3, 2011, 8:35:40 PM3/3/11

Figures......

Anyway, he's still an idiot.

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-zr1/

List price $111,100
Sales tax in NYC = 8.875 percent = $9860.125

$111,100 - $9860.125 = $101239.875

Anything you sell it for is pure profit.

Only a complete idiot would turn down a deal like that.

Ezekiel

Mar 3, 2011, 8:45:57 PM3/3/11

"flatfish+++" <flat...@marianatrench.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 20:26:25 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> "JEDIDIAH" <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote in message
>>
>>> Although on the subject of "boobery", I don't think it ever occured to
>>> you Lemming nitwits that there might be very real tax consequences of
>>> all
>>> of these sorts of shenanigans that should not be taken lightly.
>>
>> Ahhhh.... so you can't afford to pay the taxes on a ZR1. You should have
>> just come out and said so earlier.
>
> Figures......
>
> Anyway, he's still an idiot.
>
> http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-zr1/
>
> List price $111,100
> Sales tax in NYC = 8.875 percent = $9860.125

Depending how you get the car you may have to pay anywhere between zero tax
(gift, etc) or if you win it on a game show for example it would be treated
by the IRS as income.

> $111,100 - $9860.125 = $101239.875
>
> Anything you sell it for is pure profit.
>
> Only a complete idiot would turn down a deal like that.

And a complete poser. Talk is cheap and it's easy for people to make
ridiculous claims that they'll never have to confront. (example - 'I
wouldn't work for Microsoft if they paid me $5 million/year.')

flatfish+++

Mar 3, 2011, 8:52:28 PM3/3/11
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 20:45:57 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:

> "flatfish+++" <flat...@marianatrench.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 20:26:25 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:
>>
>>> "JEDIDIAH" <je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote in message

>>> Ahhhh.... so you can't afford to pay the taxes on a ZR1. You should have
>>> just come out and said so earlier.
>>
>> Figures......
>>
>> Anyway, he's still an idiot.
>>
>> http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-zr1/
>>
>> List price $111,100
>> Sales tax in NYC = 8.875 percent = $9860.125
>
> Depending how you get the car you may have to pay anywhere between zero tax
> (gift, etc) or if you win it on a game show for example it would be treated
> by the IRS as income.

Yep.
It's still pure profit though.

Register it in Deleware :)

>> $111,100 - $9860.125 = $101239.875
>>
>> Anything you sell it for is pure profit.
>>
>> Only a complete idiot would turn down a deal like that.
>
> And a complete poser. Talk is cheap and it's easy for people to make
> ridiculous claims that they'll never have to confront. (example - 'I
> wouldn't work for Microsoft if they paid me $5 million/year.')

The lazy people with little or no income are always the ones saying
stupid things like that.

Even if he made $20.00 on it, that's $20.00 he didn't have before he got
the free car.

DFS

Mar 3, 2011, 11:30:25 PM3/3/11

JED can't afford to pay $6,000 taxes for a free $100,000 automobile?

Regardless of his meager financial resources, I never said taxes were
part of the transaction; that's his strawman.

flatfish+++

Mar 3, 2011, 11:38:04 PM3/3/11

He's an idiot, but I do give him credit for at least having the spine to
reply first party. Jed and I go back a very long way. Probably longer
than anyone currently in the group.

He's always been a bit obtuse.
That's ok though, at least it livens things up around here.
Unlike [Homer] who is like an old washer woman who lost her last dime in
the pay toilet.

DFS

Mar 3, 2011, 11:50:26 PM3/3/11
On 3/3/2011 8:45 PM, Ezekiel wrote:

> And a complete poser. Talk is cheap and it's easy for people to make
> ridiculous claims that they'll never have to confront. (example - 'I
> wouldn't work for Microsoft if they paid me $5 million/year.')

Or "I could lead and complete the Munich Linux migration in 6 months
with a small team!" (advocate Homer)

Or "I could unseat desktop Windows in 5 years with a small team of Linux
volunteers" (advocate jim)

Talk is the cheapest commodity there is amongst the legends-of-IT here
in Linux bizarro land.

flatfish+++

Mar 4, 2011, 12:12:21 AM3/4/11
On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 23:50:26 -0500, DFS wrote:

> On 3/3/2011 8:45 PM, Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> And a complete poser. Talk is cheap and it's easy for people to make
>> ridiculous claims that they'll never have to confront. (example - 'I
>> wouldn't work for Microsoft if they paid me $5 million/year.')
>

> Or "I could lead and complete the Munich Linux migration in 6 months
> with a small team!" (advocate Homer)

Physically impossible just from an OS POV unless they worked 24x7 and
nothing went wrong.

Then there is the applications :(

> Or "I could unseat desktop Windows in 5 years with a small team of Linux
> volunteers" (advocate jim)

Yea... Sure....

Shuttlecock and his millions hasn't managed to put even a small dent in
Windows desktop market.

> Talk is the cheapest commodity there is amongst the legends-of-IT here
> in Linux bizarro land.

It's bizarre alright.

JEDIDIAH

Mar 4, 2011, 10:32:13 AM3/4/11
On 2011-03-04, flatfish+++ <flat...@marianatrench.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 23:30:25 -0500, DFS wrote:
>
>> On 3/3/2011 8:26 PM, Ezekiel wrote:
>>> "JEDIDIAH"<je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote in message

>>> Ahhhh.... so you can't afford to pay the taxes on a ZR1. You should have
>>> just come out and said so earlier.
>>

>> JED can't afford to pay $6,000 taxes for a free $100,000 automobile?
>>
>> Regardless of his meager financial resources, I never said taxes were
>> part of the transaction; that's his strawman.

You can't just avoid key technical details because their are "inconvient".
This is the sort of thing that leads to poor decision making and bad design
and engineering. It's exactly this kind of attitude that leads to replicating
other people's stupid mistakes despite having decades of warning about them.

It's the perfect analogy for Microsoft engineering practices.

...just ignore the inconvenient details.

--
Linux: Because I don't want to push pretty buttons. |||
I want the pretty buttons to push themelves. / | \

JEDIDIAH

Mar 4, 2011, 10:24:38 AM3/4/11

Actually I could if I wanted to.

I would be really suprised if any of you posers could.

DFS

Mar 4, 2011, 1:06:05 PM3/4/11
On 3/4/2011 10:24 AM, JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2011-03-04, Ezekiel<ze...@nosuchmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> "JEDIDIAH"<je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote in message
>>
>>> Although on the subject of "boobery", I don't think it ever occured to
>>> you Lemming nitwits that there might be very real tax consequences of all
>>> of these sorts of shenanigans that should not be taken lightly.
>>
>> Ahhhh.... so you can't afford to pay the taxes on a ZR1. You should have
>> just come out and said so earlier.
>
> Actually I could if I wanted to.

So why did you gripe about taxes?

> I would be really suprised if any of you posers could.

Then you'd be surprised. Very.

flatfish+++

Mar 4, 2011, 1:21:39 PM3/4/11

FOSS users always seem to assume that others are as destitute as many of
them are.
Not sure why?

bugbuster

Mar 4, 2011, 2:36:31 PM3/4/11

This is not something to enter into lightly. Sales tax would not apply.
But income tax would. And probably social security and medicare tax.
Non-taxable gifts are limited to $10K. Social security tax would, over
the period of the year, be recouped. And the taxes have to be paid up
front - not delayed until the following April 15. Total taxes would be in
the range of $40K-50K. Giving the car to charity may not be an option -
there are limits to how much you can claim in itemized deductions. So
that leaves selling the car. In this economy it could take a while to
find a buyer. In the meantime it would be best to insure the car - what if
it is stolen or a tree falls on it. Insurance for such a car would be
costly. All this for a car he doesn't want and taking a risk that the
upfront $40K-50K investment doesn't pay off. Is it worth it? Maybe,
maybe not.

Bug

Kelsey Bjarnason

Mar 4, 2011, 3:07:08 PM3/4/11
On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:41:20 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:

> 7 wrote:
>
>> Gregory Shearman wrote:

>>> It was dead simple to put Gentoo on my SheevaPlug. The kernel was the
>>> easiest part:
>>>

>>> Download a vanilla kernel then:
>>>
>>> make kirkwood_defconfig menuconfig
>>>
>>> make uImage && make modules_install
>>>
>>> Install the uboot image to flash and then reboot.
>>>
>>> Voila!
>>

>> Thank you for posting that.
>> You need to post more.
>
> Fantastic find here.
> Thank you, very much.

Any word on getting Win7/64 to run on it? :)

--
He’s a scrotum... halfway between a prick and an asshole.

Ezekiel

Mar 4, 2011, 3:09:18 PM3/4/11

"bugbuster" <bugb...@nowhere.org> wrote in message

>>> So why did you gripe about taxes?

>>> Then you'd be surprised. Very.
>>
>> FOSS users always seem to assume that others are as destitute as many of
>> them are.
>> Not sure why?
>
> This is not something to enter into lightly. Sales tax would not apply.
> But income tax would. And probably social security and medicare tax.
> Non-taxable gifts are limited to $10K. Social security tax would, over
> the period of the year, be recouped. And the taxes have to be paid up
> front - not delayed until the following April 15. Total taxes would be in
> the range of $40K-50K. .....

FICA taxes have an annual limit. Whether someone makes $110k or $100M the
amount of FICA they pay won't change. So if you're in a tax bracket where
you're not already maxing out your FICA then you have no business owning an
exotic and probably don't have enough assets to cover the tax burden without
borrowing.

> All this for a car he doesn't want and taking a risk that the
> upfront $40K-50K investment doesn't pay off. Is it worth it? Maybe,
> maybe not.

As long as you can sell the car for more than $40-$50k then it's worth it.
Assume someone were to offer a guy who owns a chain of car dealerships all
the 'free' ZR1's they want provided they pay the taxes. Would they take the
"risk" of a $45k tax burden or would they walk away from the offer? My guess
is they would take all the ZR1's they could get.

bugbuster

Mar 4, 2011, 3:22:17 PM3/4/11
On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 15:09:18 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:

> "bugbuster" <bugb...@nowhere.org> wrote in message

>>> FOSS users always seem to assume that others are as destitute as many of
>>> them are.
>>> Not sure why?
>>
>> This is not something to enter into lightly. Sales tax would not apply.
>> But income tax would. And probably social security and medicare tax.
>> Non-taxable gifts are limited to $10K. Social security tax would, over
>> the period of the year, be recouped. And the taxes have to be paid up
>> front - not delayed until the following April 15. Total taxes would be in
>> the range of $40K-50K. .....
>
> FICA taxes have an annual limit. Whether someone makes $110k or $100M the
> amount of FICA they pay won't change. So if you're in a tax bracket where
> you're not already maxing out your FICA then you have no business owning an
> exotic and probably don't have enough assets to cover the tax burden without
> borrowing.

That's why I said the social security tax would be recouped over the year.
You would max out due to the car and then not pay any more for the year.

>> All this for a car he doesn't want and taking a risk that the upfront
>> $40K-50K investment doesn't pay off. Is it worth it? Maybe, maybe
>> not.
>
> As long as you can sell the car for more than $40-$50k then it's worth
> it. Assume someone were to offer a guy who owns a chain of car
> dealerships all the 'free' ZR1's they want provided they pay the taxes.
> Would they take the "risk" of a $45k tax burden or would they walk away
> from the offer? My guess is they would take all the ZR1's they could get.

If you find a buyer before accepting the car then the risk goes away.

Bug

Ezekiel

Mar 4, 2011, 3:32:05 PM3/4/11

"bugbuster" <bugb...@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 15:09:18 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:
>

>> "bugbuster" <bugb...@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 13:21:39 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:
>>>

>> FICA taxes have an annual limit. Whether someone makes $110k or $100M
>> the
>> amount of FICA they pay won't change. So if you're in a tax bracket where
>> you're not already maxing out your FICA then you have no business owning
>> an
>> exotic and probably don't have enough assets to cover the tax burden
>> without
>> borrowing.
>>

> That's why I said the social security tax would be recouped over the year.
> You would max out due to the car and then not pay any more for the year.

I thought I read that from you somewhere but when I scanned your post a 2nd
time I didn't see it.

>>> All this for a car he doesn't want and taking a risk that the upfront
>>> $40K-50K investment doesn't pay off. Is it worth it? Maybe, maybe
>>> not.
>>

>> As long as you can sell the car for more than $40-$50k then it's worth
>> it. Assume someone were to offer a guy who owns a chain of car
>> dealerships all the 'free' ZR1's they want provided they pay the taxes.
>> Would they take the "risk" of a $45k tax burden or would they walk away
>> from the offer? My guess is they would take all the ZR1's they could get.
>
> If you find a buyer before accepting the car then the risk goes away.

I'd take the risk even without having a buyer lined up. I could be more
difficult getting a buyer lined if you didn't already have the car in-hand.

Even without a buyer in the wait it's not like it would be all that
difficult selling the car. It's a big country and you could even sell it
'wholesale' to a car dealership for $10's of thousands more than the tax
burden. Finding a private buyer and skipping the middle-man isn't all that
difficult. Put an add on the web or in some major newspapers and someone
from across the country will jump on it if it's priced right. With dealer
invoice at more than 2x the tax burder there's plenty of wiggle-room to make
a profit.

flatfish+++

Mar 4, 2011, 3:45:02 PM3/4/11

Donate it to charity and take a nice tax deduction.

Ezekiel

Mar 4, 2011, 3:52:36 PM3/4/11

"flatfish+++" <flat...@marianatrench.com> wrote in message

Financially that's the more difficult route. If you accept the car (and take
legal ownership) then you need to pay the income taxes on the car. When you
donate the car you write off the fair market value of the car from your
income but you'll basically break even. You pay 33% of FMV in taxes and then
you get a tax deduction for the same amount at the end of the year.

DFS

Mar 6, 2011, 3:44:48 PM3/6/11

There are two details:

1) I said free.