Linux heading for 3% Desktop marketshare

7

Jul 4, 2016, 5:08:15 PM7/4/16
Linux heading for 3% Desktop marketshare

Amazon (a Linux company) is now worth more than what
microhsaft was worth a week ago.

So it looks like all the top tech companies are Linux
and knowing Desktop Linux is the only way to get
top tech jobs out there.

All this is pulling Linux desktop market share
towards that important 7% figure. At which point it
is deemed a mainstream Desktop Operating System
for PCs.

Amazon is Linux, Google is Linux, Facebook is Linux,
Netflix is Linux, Oracle is Linux, reddit is Linux
NASDAQ is Linux, LSE is Linux. All the top tech companies
using Linux also out rank banks now in terms of wealth.

Similar scenario a long time back when movie industry
was pushed out of its league by the PC gaming industry
for top provider of entertainment and monetary wealth.

Time for all wannabe successful companies
to start converting their flock to Linux and enjoy the wealth :)

http://www.ubuntu.com
http://www.distrowatch.com
http://livecdlist.com

-hh

Jul 4, 2016, 5:26:59 PM7/4/16
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 5:08:15 PM UTC-4, 7 wrote:
> Linux heading for 3% Desktop marketshare

Well, it is conceivable that the Desktop marketplace could
continue to shrink by enough to make it possible. But it
seems more likely that everyone currently on COLA will be
dead from old age first.

In the meantime, while slashdot is reporting Linux at (finally)
above 2%, it also acknowledges other counters as well:

"Meanwhile, NetMarketShare shows Linux with a 2.02% share
of the desktop market. And StatCounter shows a more detailed
breakdown of the top 7 operating systems, with Windows 7 at
42.02%, Windows 10 at 21.88%, OSX at 9.94%, Windows 8.1
at 8.66%, Windows XP at 6.5%, and another 4.06% for "Unknown"
(which is roughly tied with "Other") -- beating Windows 8.0 at 3.52%."

<https://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/07/02/184229/linux-grabs-more-than-2-of-desktop-market-share>

But if one actually downloads StatCounter's CSV data (click the button),
one gets the following breakdown which shows that Linux isn't anywhere
close to being that 4.06% of 'Other':

Date Win7 Win8.1 Win10 OS X WinXP Win8 Unknown WinVista Linux Chrome OS Win2003 Win98 Win2000 WinCE Other
2015-06 53.71 16.41 0.17 10.17 10.03 3.68 1.46 2.12 1.77 0.29 0.11 0.02 0.02 0.01 0.03
2015-07 54.64 16.84 0.36 8.6 10 3.68 1.9 2 1.52 0.26 0.11 0.03 0.02 0.01 0.02
2015-08 53.01 14.37 5.38 8.18 9.72 3.44 1.94 1.93 1.5 0.3 0.11 0.07 0.02 0.01 0.02
2015-09 51.52 13.61 7.64 8.63 9.38 3.25 1.93 1.86 1.55 0.41 0.1 0.08 0.02 0.01 0.02
2015-10 50.26 13.09 9 9.02 9.03 3.12 2.51 1.77 1.57 0.46 0.11 0.01 0.02 0.01 0.02
2015-11 49.27 13.02 10.18 9.36 8.5 2.96 2.81 1.74 1.5 0.47 0.11 0 0.03 0.01 0.02
2015-12 47.45 12.14 11.87 9.8 8.45 2.99 3.31 1.78 1.48 0.51 0.11 0.04 0.03 0.02 0.03
2016-01 46.66 11.67 13.65 9.03 7.98 3.15 3.8 1.77 1.47 0.51 0.17 0.07 0.03 0.01 0.03
2016-02 46.08 11.43 14.86 9.33 7.61 3.01 3.83 1.62 1.47 0.55 0.11 0.06 0.02 0.01 0.02
2016-03 45.76 10.94 16.53 9.38 7.5 3.45 2.74 1.53 1.45 0.53 0.12 0.03 0.02 0.01 0.02
2016-04 44.56 10.3 17.9 9.52 7.46 3.38 3.06 1.48 1.55 0.55 0.18 0.01 0.02 0 0.02
2016-05 43.28 9.58 19.98 9.83 6.69 3.42 3.59 1.42 1.44 0.59 0.15 0.01 0.02 0 0.02
2016-06 42.02 8.66 21.88 9.94 6.5 3.52 4.06 1.37 1.46 0.41 0.13 0.01 0.01 0 0.02

That's a bit busy, so here's just the Linux datapoint:

Linux
1.77
1.52
1.5
1.55
1.57
1.5
1.48
1.47
1.47
1.45
1.55
1.44
1.46

YMMV, but one doesn't need to actually go run a statistical analysis
tool to see that that trend is flat (actually, slightly negative: -0.05%/year).

But there is some good news for Linux, namely that a commercialized
variant did arguably see a bit of growth over the same period:

Chrome OS
0.29
0.26
0.3
0.41
0.46
0.47
0.51
0.51
0.55
0.53
0.55
0.59
0.41

...although with it being very roughly a +0.15%/year slope, assuming
that the last data point is an anomaly (and not a downward trend), it
still has three (3) years before it will crack 1% (and probably four years
until it passes Windows Vista...could be five, if not for Vista's decline).

Finally, netting the two together, I'd eyeball the trend at +0.10%/year,
which means that Linux is shrinking at less than the overall desktop
PC market's contraction rate.

-hh

John Gohde

Jul 4, 2016, 9:18:09 PM7/4/16
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 5:08:15 PM UTC-4, 7 wrote:
> Linux heading for 3% Desktop marketshare
>
> Amazon (a Linux company) is now worth more than what
> microhsaft was worth a week ago.
>
> So it looks like all the top tech companies are Linux
> and knowing Desktop Linux is the only way to get
> top tech jobs out there.
>
> All this is pulling Linux desktop market share
> towards that important 7% figure. At which point it
> is deemed a mainstream Desktop Operating System
> for PCs.
>
> Amazon is Linux, Google is Linux, Facebook is Linux,
> Netflix is Linux

Huh?

What are you smoking?

If Netflix is Linux, THEN why is Netflix is NOT Linux friendly? Netflix discriminates against Linux DE users, Putz!

Marek Novotny

Jul 4, 2016, 10:45:28 PM7/4/16
On 2016-07-05, John Gohde <john.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If Netflix is Linux, THEN why is Netflix is NOT Linux friendly? Netflix
> discriminates against Linux DE users, Putz!

All you need is Chrome on Linux and you can watch Netflix just fine.

--
Marek Novotny
https://github.com/marek-novotny

John Gohde

Jul 4, 2016, 10:47:50 PM7/4/16
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 10:45:28 PM UTC-4, Marek Novotny wrote:
> On 2016-07-05, John Gohde <john.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If Netflix is Linux, THEN why is Netflix is NOT Linux friendly? Netflix
> > discriminates against Linux DE users, Putz!
>
> All you need is Chrome on Linux and you can watch Netflix just fine.

And what is wrong with Chromium?

Takuya Saitoh

Jul 4, 2016, 11:19:08 PM7/4/16
Yo got to speak to those php Linux interfaces in Java, Putz. Real men with big dicks use CLI however....

Fabian Russell

Jul 5, 2016, 6:46:16 AM7/5/16
On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 21:08:11 +0000, 7 wrote:

> Linux heading for 3% Desktop marketshare

How many fucking times must I explain before the message
sinks in?

"Market share" as a measure of quality is valid only for brain-dead
assholes.

Consider a Lamborghini auto. Consider Black Sea caviar. These are
examples of extremely high quality items that have a very low "market
share." GNU/Linux is in the same camp.

So fuck the goddamned idea of "market share." It has meaning only
to a dumb-fuck fool (are there seem to be many on this NG).

John Gohde

Jul 5, 2016, 9:45:02 AM7/5/16
.Shut Up, Freak!

.STOP pretending to be a SCIENCE person. Moi knows more about science than this Taka tard does.

.Whatever your sex might be. You are probably just a very insane transgender Freak.

.Takuya Saitoh choice of topics and comments clearly points to mental illness in the extreme. In the States, Taka would be locked up for the perv that "it" clearly is.

John Gohde

Jul 5, 2016, 9:47:03 AM7/5/16
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 6:46:16 AM UTC-4, Fabian Russell wrote:

> So fuck the goddamned idea of "market share." It has meaning only
> to a dumb-fuck fool (are there seem to be many on this NG).

The Linux DE has neither quality or market share, Dumb Fuck.

Why is Russell so stupid?

DFS

Jul 5, 2016, 10:08:23 AM7/5/16
On 7/5/2016 6:45 AM, Fabian Russell wrote:

> It has meaning only to a dumb-fuck fool (are there seem to be many on
> this NG).

Good self-nuke, dumbass.

ronb

Jul 5, 2016, 2:49:14 PM7/5/16
On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 19:45:20 -0700, Marek Novotny wrote:

> On 2016-07-05, John Gohde <john.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If Netflix is Linux, THEN why is Netflix is NOT Linux friendly? Netflix
>> discriminates against Linux DE users, Putz!
>
> All you need is Chrome on Linux and you can watch Netflix just fine.

Yep. I watch Netflix all the time on my Linux Desktop -- usually cast it
to the TV.

--
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists

GreyCloud

Jul 5, 2016, 3:50:45 PM7/5/16
On 07/04/16 20:45, Marek Novotny wrote:
> On 2016-07-05, John Gohde<john.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If Netflix is Linux, THEN why is Netflix is NOT Linux friendly? Netflix
>> discriminates against Linux DE users, Putz!
>
> All you need is Chrome on Linux and you can watch Netflix just fine.

That and a bit of money.

Me Sham

Jul 5, 2016, 7:28:42 PM7/5/16
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 5:46:16 AM UTC-5, Fabian Russell wrote:
> Consider a Lamborghini auto. Consider Black Sea caviar. These are
> examples of extremely high quality items that have a very low "market
> share." GNU/Linux is in the same camp.

Are Lamborghinis and Caviar given away for free?

DFS

Jul 5, 2016, 7:34:41 PM7/5/16
The idiocy of a Linux "advocate" is quite a sight, isn't it?

DFS

Jul 5, 2016, 9:14:34 PM7/5/16
On 7/5/2016 6:45 AM, Fabian Russell wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 21:08:11 +0000, 7 wrote:
>
>> Linux heading for 3% Desktop marketshare
>>

> How many fucking times must I explain before the message
> sinks in?
>
> "Market share" as a measure of quality is valid only for brain-dead
> assholes.

Which is why so many brain-dead assholes crow about Linux server market
share.

> Consider a Lamborghini auto. Consider Black Sea caviar. These are
> examples of extremely high quality items that have a very low "market
> share." GNU/Linux is in the same camp.
>
> So fuck the goddamned idea of "market share." It has meaning only
> to a dumb-fuck fool (are there seem to be many on this NG).

Face facts: Linux hobbyware can't be given away.

Debian Sarge cost $175 billion to develop, but users won't even donate
$1.75 for it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20101215044056/http://libresoft.es/debian-counting/sarge/index.php?menu=Statistics

MS is doomed.

GreyCloud

Jul 5, 2016, 11:43:56 PM7/5/16
LOL!!!!!!

Henry

Jul 6, 2016, 2:23:05 AM7/6/16
7 wrote:

> Amazon (a Linux company) is now worth more
> than what microhsaft was worth a week ago.

Please don't post after you've been drinking. Your illiteracy is amply evident without the enhancement of your inebriation.

- H

Peter Köhlmann

Jul 6, 2016, 3:25:10 AM7/6/16
Irrelevant

DFS

Jul 6, 2016, 5:36:43 AM7/6/16
I can't get a massage without a boner.

DFS

Jul 6, 2016, 5:37:59 AM7/6/16
I'll do anything to lose EXCEPT diet or exercise!

DFS

Jul 6, 2016, 5:38:54 AM7/6/16
can I get pregnant from anal sex?

7

Jul 7, 2016, 1:51:13 AM7/7/16
Fabian Russell wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 21:08:11 +0000, 7 wrote:
>
>> Linux heading for 3% Desktop marketshare
>>

> How many fucking times must I explain before the message
> sinks in?
>
> "Market share" as a measure of quality is valid only for brain-dead
> assholes.
>
> Consider a Lamborghini auto. Consider Black Sea caviar. These are
> examples of extremely high quality items that have a very low "market
> share." GNU/Linux is in the same camp.

Only in the Desktop market. The rest of the tech markets like servers,
mobile phones, routers etc, its caviar for everybody every day ;)

John Gohde

Jul 7, 2016, 3:27:10 AM7/7/16
On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 1:51:13 AM UTC-4, 7 wrote:
> > Consider a Lamborghini auto. Consider Black Sea caviar. These are
> > examples of extremely high quality items that have a very low "market
> > share." GNU/Linux is in the same camp.
>
> Only in the Desktop market. The rest of the tech markets like servers,
> mobile phones, routers etc, its caviar for everybody every day ;)

ONLY if you are an Ass-Hole!

The again, your status as a Foreigner could be a problem.

"Desktop" happens to be in the SUBJECT of this THREAD, you fucking tard. What is the problem? Can you not focus for 2 fucking seconds????

Me Sham

Jul 7, 2016, 6:34:28 PM7/7/16
Yeah, I knew making you fucking morons look ridiculous would illicit nothing but a dismissive retort.

John Gohde

Jul 8, 2016, 8:23:09 AM7/8/16
On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 1:51:13 AM UTC-4, 7 wrote:
> > Consider a Lamborghini auto. Consider Black Sea caviar. These are
> > examples of extremely high quality items that have a very low "market
> > share." GNU/Linux is in the same camp.
>
> Only in the Desktop market. The rest of the tech markets like servers,
> mobile phones, routers etc, its caviar for everybody every day ;)

ONLY FUCKING TOLL-HOLE! BUM BOY! HARDASS! ARSE-LEECH! MIDGET FUCKER!
SNATCH! if you are an FUCKING CUNTSUCKER! Ass-Hole! BLUE-VEINED
THROBBER! HONKY! SON OF A WHORE! CUNT!

The FUCKING TROLLOP! HONKEY! GENITAL WARTS! FAT FLAPS! again, your
status FUCKING COCONUT! COMMERCIAL BEAVER! BUTTPICKER! BITCHY! GOT THE
CLAP! BLADDER! as a Foreigner FUCKING BEETLE! could be a FUCKING BALL
BAG! PUSSY! problem. BOYS! FAST-GIRL!

"Desktop" FUCKING JERK! ARSEY-VERSEY! GAYLORD! happens to be in
FUCKING BIBLE THUMPER! BOW-LEGGED SWAMP DONKEY! HURRY-WHORE! FUCK ASS!
SOUTHERN FAIRY! the SUBJECT of this FUCKING MAMMARIES! HELL! THREAD,
you fucking tard. FUCKING CRACKER! What is the problem? FUCKING
GIZZARD! Can you not FUCKING BUM BOY! WOG! PISS HANDLE! focus for 2
fucking FUCKING BACK-DOOR BANDIT! BOX BUSTER! ARSE BANDIT! seconds????
DISEASED PROSTITUTE! MAMMARIES! CROTCH COWBOY! BLIND BUTLER!

Peter Köhlmann

Jul 8, 2016, 9:19:43 AM7/8/16
I get facial numbness due to stress.

John Gohde

Jul 8, 2016, 9:35:45 AM7/8/16
On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 8:23:09 AM UTC-4, John Gohde wrote:
> On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 1:51:13 AM UTC-4, 7 wrote:
> > > Consider a Lamborghini auto. Consider Black Sea caviar. These are
> > > examples of extremely high quality items that have a very low "market
> > > share." GNU/Linux is in the same camp.
> >
> > Only in the Desktop market. The rest of the tech markets like servers,
> > mobile phones, routers etc, its caviar for everybody every day ;)
>

> ONLY FUCKING TOLL-HOLE! BUM BOY! HARDASS! ARSE-LEECH! MIDGET FUCKER!
> SNATCH! if you are an FUCKING CUNTSUCKER! Ass-Hole! BLUE-VEINED
> THROBBER! HONKY! SON OF A WHORE! CUNT!

Imposture, Queer, Fag ...

John Gohde

Jul 9, 2016, 10:28:16 PM7/9/16
Ubon Frubidubay, Jubuly 8, 2016 ubat 8:23:09 UbaM UbuTC-4, Jubohn
Gubohdube wrubotube:
> On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 1:51:13 AM UTC-4, 7 wrote:
> > > Consider a Lamborghini auto. Consider Black Sea caviar. These are
> > > examples of extremely high quality items that have a very low "market
> > > share." GNU/Linux is in the same camp.
> >
> > Only in the Desktop market. The rest of the tech markets like servers,
> > mobile phones, routers etc, its caviar for everybody every day ;)
>

> ONLY FUCKING TOLL-HOLE! BUM BOY! HARDASS! ARSE-LEECH! MIDGET FUCKER!
> SNATCH! if you are an FUCKING CUNTSUCKER! Ass-Hole! BLUE-VEINED
> THROBBER! HONKY! SON OF A WHORE! CUNT!

Ubimpubostuburube, Qubuubeuber, Fubag ...

John Gohde

Jul 9, 2016, 10:43:32 PM7/9/16
Imposture, Queer, Fag

John Gohde

Jul 10, 2016, 2:09:26 AM7/10/16
Three-chinned macho-slut with stubby goo pipe, hairless nadgers, and
loathsome bazoo goes hungry for inflexible gazoo for deranged indoor
sports.

I'm vicious and domineering in bed. Interested? Send email to
mailto:john.h...@gmail.com.

John Gohde

Jul 10, 2016, 6:54:14 AM7/10/16
Imposture, Queer, Fag

John Gohde

Jul 11, 2016, 5:49:44 AM7/11/16
ok my stepdad has been raping me since i was 12 he also hits me and
tells me to kill myself almost daily.

chrisv

Jul 11, 2016, 8:59:54 AM7/11/16
> Fabian Russell wrote:
>>
>> "Market share" as a measure of quality is valid only for brain-dead
>> assholes.
>>
>> Consider a Lamborghini auto. Consider Black Sea caviar. These are
>> examples of extremely high quality items that have a very low "market
>> share." GNU/Linux is in the same camp.

But brain-dead Linux-hating trolls will say "but those things are
expensive while Linux is free".

The trolling assholes "forget" that Linux has *no* cost advantage over
Windows. Windows comes on the PC, and wiping it to install Linux
saves no money. Windows is so subsidized that, generally, it saves
nothing (or even costs more) to buy or build a PC without it!

*That* makes the market FUBAR.

Does anyone think that Hyundai could have successfully broken into the
mainstream car market, if it was impossible for them to undercut the
prices of Honda and Toyota? Of course not - almost everyone would
choose the known brand, the "safe" choice. And that's in a market
that does not have the "software compatibility" issues that the
desktop OS market has!

--
"The interesting part of this is that if so many consumers are
profoundly so cheap, then why is it that Linux as an even cheaper

John Gohde

Jul 11, 2016, 9:47:01 AM7/11/16
On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 5:49:44 AM UTC-4, John Gohde wrote:
> ok my stepdad has been raping me since i was 12 he also hits me and
> tells me to kill myself almost daily.

Imposture, Queer, Fag

-hh

Jul 11, 2016, 10:54:46 AM7/11/16
Still pwned chrisv wrote:
> > Fabian Russell wrote:
> >>
> >> "Market share" as a measure of quality is valid only for brain-dead
> >> assholes.
> >>
> >> Consider a Lamborghini auto. Consider Black Sea caviar. These are
> >> examples of extremely high quality items that have a very low "market
> >> share." GNU/Linux is in the same camp.
>
> But brain-dead Linux-hating trolls will say "but those things are
> expensive while Linux is free".
>
> The trolling assholes "forget" that Linux has *no* cost advantage
> over Windows.

Oh, so then Windows is free also, and Microsoft isn't a "Greedy"
and "Evil" corporation?

> Windows comes on the PC, ...

Only on those PC's which come so equipped. True, that's the
majority of them, but that's Capitalism, buddy!

> Windows is so subsidized that, ...

Oh, so now Microsoft is soooo benevolent that they're paying
people to take their product, making their product cheaper
than free? Or is it that chrisv doesn't even understand
basic undergraduate level economics?

> ... generally, it saves
> nothing (or even costs more) to buy or build a PC without it!
>
> *That* makes the market FUBAR.

Nope. It just means that chrisv didn't pay attention if
they ever took any microeconomics class:

"In microeconomics, economies of scale are the cost advantages
that enterprises obtain due to size, output, or scale of
operation, with cost per unit of output generally decreasing
with increasing scale as fixed costs are spread out over more
units of output."

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale>

Ditto for chrisv's lack of comprehension of basic product
manufacturing, which consists of Fixed & Variable costs:

"In economics and cost accounting, total cost (TC)
describes the total economic cost of production and
is made up of variable costs, which vary according to
the quantity of a good produced and include inputs
such as labor and raw materials, plus fixed costs,
which are independent of the quantity of a good
produced and include inputs (capital) that cannot be
varied in the short term, such as buildings and machinery."

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_cost>

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_cost>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_cost>

In a nutshell, the fixed costs of setting up a Linux PC
line lacks adequate sales volume to offset its slightly
lower variable costs to result in a net savings to the
end customer. Economics 101, "college boy".

> Does anyone think that Hyundai could have successfully
> broken into the mainstream car market, if it was impossible
> for them to undercut the prices of Honda and Toyota? Of
> course not - almost everyone would choose the known brand,
> the "safe" choice.

Nice theory, if it were to actually apply.

First, Hyundai existed for 40 years before it ever even
entered the USA market, and was successful in the markets
that it was in. Second, the market niche in the USA that
Hyundai exploited wasn't a head-to-head "undercut", but
was a "fill the void":

"The timing of Hyundai’s entry into the U.S. market in
1986 was ideal. At that time, most automobile manufacturers
had abandoned the entry-level market in favor of high-end,
high-priced vehicles, leaving a large void in the market."

<http://www.hmmausa.com/a-look-back-hyundai-enters-the-u-s-market/>

Yes, that citation is from Hyundai's own website.

> "The interesting part of this is that if so many
> consumers are profoundly so cheap, then why is it
> that Linux as an even cheaper alternative for the
> desktop hasn't even gained half as much traction
> as Apple?" - lying asshole "-hh"

Perhaps that question needs to be revised, to be:
"...so many COLA advocates are profoundly so cheap..."

In any case, the fact remains that Apple still has
a much larger marketshare than Linux, despite how
Apple chooses to leave a large void in their products,
namely the cheap 'bottom end' of the PC market.

-hh

John Gohde

Jul 12, 2016, 5:39:51 AM7/12/16
/J/unior and
/O/bsequiously
/H/ammering
/N/avigator of the windward passage.

/G/rotesque
/O/ne of them who likes
/H/eartless
/D/ouble entries with
/E/asy-rides.

JEDIDIAH

Jul 12, 2016, 7:00:10 PM7/12/16
Caviar is purely a subjective thing. Doesn't matter where it comes from.

chrisv

Jul 13, 2016, 7:56:28 AM7/13/16
> troll wrote:
>>
>> Are Lamborghinis and Caviar given away for free?

Even if Lamborghinis were free, they wouldn't be too popular if you
couldn't buy fuel for them, dipshit.

My analogy isn't perfect, but it makes the point that price does not
override all other concerns.

As the mobile market demonstrates, it's *all* about momentum, all
about who was there first. All of the mobile operating systems are
essentially given-away, they are of similar quality and performance,
yet one of them lags far-behind the others.

--
"And this is what Stallman's real problem with Jobs and Apple are. He
loathes that they have success in ways he cannot even imagine." -

Peter Köhlmann

Jul 13, 2016, 8:10:06 AM7/13/16
chrisv wrote:

>> troll wrote:
>>>
>>> Are Lamborghinis and Caviar given away for free?
>
> Even if Lamborghinis were free, they wouldn't be too popular if you
> couldn't buy fuel for them, dipshit.

Also, they are somewhat limited with space. Two persons and a wallet is
about what you can take along

> My analogy isn't perfect, but it makes the point that price does not
> override all other concerns.
>
> As the mobile market demonstrates, it's *all* about momentum, all
> about who was there first. All of the mobile operating systems are
> essentially given-away, they are of similar quality and performance,
> yet one of them lags far-behind the others.

Well, windows phones lack the applications, too. And MS was arrogant enough
to think that this would change fast. But people are weary when they hear
"windows". Most may think that they have no real alternative on the desktop,
but they know that they have one on the mobile market. So they shy away from
buying mobiles with "windows" attached to them. And I know that I will not
buy a win-phone ever. Or a iPhone, but for different reasons

Chris Ahlstrom

Jul 13, 2016, 8:50:51 AM7/13/16
Peter Köhlmann wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> chrisv wrote:

>> Even if Lamborghinis were free, they wouldn't be too popular if you
>> couldn't buy fuel for them, dipshit.
>
> Also, they are somewhat limited with space. Two persons and a wallet is
> about what you can take along

A couple days ago I saw an old Bugatti parked outside a store.
Pretty cool. Something like this:

http://www.bugattirevue.com/revue41/old2.jpg

>> My analogy isn't perfect, but it makes the point that price does not
>> override all other concerns.
>>
>> As the mobile market demonstrates, it's *all* about momentum, all
>> about who was there first. All of the mobile operating systems are
>> essentially given-away, they are of similar quality and performance,
>> yet one of them lags far-behind the others.
>
> Well, windows phones lack the applications, too. And MS was arrogant enough
> to think that this would change fast. But people are weary when they hear
> "windows". Most may think that they have no real alternative on the desktop,
> but they know that they have one on the mobile market. So they shy away from
> buying mobiles with "windows" attached to them. And I know that I will not
> buy a win-phone ever. Or a iPhone, but for different reasons

Same here.

--
Your object is to save the world, while still leading a pleasant life.

-hh

Jul 13, 2016, 8:53:11 AM7/13/16
chrisv wrote:
> > [lame Ad Hominem] wrote:
> >>
> >> Are Lamborghinis and Caviar given away for free?
>
> Even if Lamborghinis were free, they wouldn't be too popular
> if you couldn't buy fuel for them, dipshit.

Since fuel is readily available, a pretty weak straw man.

> My analogy isn't perfect, ...

A statement that would be hilarious if chrisv was purposefully
being self-depreciating.

> ... but it makes the point that price
> does not override all other concerns.

That it doesn't override "all other" does not mean that
it has zero effects whatsoever. Yet another basic economic
principle missed by chrisv:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elasticity_(economics)>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand>

The exercise is left to chrisv to show us the math which
shows if the PC Market's demand for Linux is elastic or inelastic.

> As the mobile market demonstrates, it's *all* about momentum, all
> about who was there first.

That's what PALM thought ... no, no: RIM!

> All of the mobile operating systems are essentially given-away,

Incorrect: they're bundled with the hardware.

> ... they are of similar quality and performance, ...

Sure they are! /S Unsubstantiated claim.

> ... yet one of them lags far-behind the others.

Vague insinuation, with no substantiation.

-hh

-hh

Jul 13, 2016, 8:56:25 AM7/13/16
Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> > Even if Lamborghinis were free, they wouldn't be too popular
> > if you couldn't buy fuel for them, dipshit.
>
> Also, they are somewhat limited with space. Two persons
> and a wallet is about what you can take along

Oh, look: pendant nickpicking of an analogy. So simply change
the analogy from a Lamborghini to, say, a Porsche Cayenne GTS and
Peter's pedantic whine goes away ... now what are you going to do?

-hh

John Taylor

Jul 13, 2016, 9:03:08 AM7/13/16
chrisv wrote:

>> troll wrote:
>>>
>>> Are Lamborghinis and Caviar given away for free?
>
> Even if Lamborghinis were free, they wouldn't be too popular if you
> couldn't buy fuel for them, dipshit.

Goal posts moving.

> My analogy isn't perfect, but it makes the point that price does not
> override all other concerns.

Your analogy is reasonable however the same analogy applies to Linux.
Linux isn't too popular because the applications (fuel) that a common
user requires are not up to the same quality level as those offered by
the alternatives.
It's something a new Linux user discovers the first hour after they
install Linux which is why many have tried Linux however very few remain
using Linux.
And the fact that your Linux herd is finding it impossible to
demonstrate how Linux has a superior desktop system further proves that
statement.

chrisv

Jul 13, 2016, 9:33:56 AM7/13/16
Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> chrisv wrote:

>> Even if Lamborghinis were free, they wouldn't be too popular if you
>> couldn't buy fuel for them, dipshit.
>
>Also, they are somewhat limited with space. Two persons and a wallet is
>about what you can take along

Indeed, they would be niche-market products, even if they cost no more
than mainstream products.

Something that stupid trolls forget is that some products are simply
not intended for the mainstream consumer.

I think that Windows is an OK toy-caliber OS for a good chunk of the
market - just no where near ninety fscking percent of it.

--
"They're all a bunch of proven lunatics, scumbags and liars." -
Ezekreep

John Taylor

Jul 13, 2016, 9:38:15 AM7/13/16
chrisv wrote:

> Something that stupid trolls forget is that some products are simply
> not intended for the mainstream consumer.

Like desktop Linux for example.

DFS

Jul 13, 2016, 9:58:29 AM7/13/16
On 7/13/2016 9:33 AM, shitv wrote:

> Something that stupid trolls forget is that some products are simply
> not intended for the mainstream consumer.

We don't forget that - you Linux idiots do. You think a hobbyist/niche
product like Linux is fit for the masses.

It's not.

> I think that Windows is an OK toy-caliber OS

Then it's perfect for your toy-caliber job.

> for a good chunk of the market - just no where near ninety
> fscking percent of it.

What you think is irrelevant, moron. It's what the market thinks and
does that matters.

Marek Novotny

Jul 13, 2016, 10:40:12 AM7/13/16
On 2016-07-13, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
> On 7/13/2016 9:33 AM, shitv wrote:
>
>> Something that stupid trolls forget is that some products are simply
>> not intended for the mainstream consumer.
>
> We don't forget that - you Linux idiots do. You think a hobbyist/niche
> product like Linux is fit for the masses.

Our OS runs the majority of the stock exchanges the world over. It runs
most of the Internet and it runs most of the smart phones. It runs over
99% of the top 500 supercomputers. We're not the hobbyist OS, Windows
is. Your joke of an OS can't even run a tablet well. Face reality DFS,
you work on a joke OS. Anyone who wants true stability, security and
reliability doesn't choose Windows.

If Linux is too hard for you, don't fret.

--
Marek Novotny
https://github.com/marek-novotny

-hh

Jul 13, 2016, 10:42:03 AM7/13/16
And Supercomputers for another.

-hh

Snit

Jul 13, 2016, 10:50:02 AM7/13/16
On 7/13/16, 7:40 AM, in article
sbWdnbpkOpFZzxvK...@giganews.com, "Marek Novotny"
<marek....@marspolar.com> wrote:

> On 2016-07-13, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>> On 7/13/2016 9:33 AM, shitv wrote:
>>
>>> Something that stupid trolls forget is that some products are simply
>>> not intended for the mainstream consumer.
>>
>> We don't forget that - you Linux idiots do. You think a hobbyist/niche
>> product like Linux is fit for the masses.
>
> Our OS runs the majority of the stock exchanges the world over.

When I have the need to run a stock exchange that will mean a lot!

> It runs most of the Internet and it runs most of the smart phones.

And yet iPhones get more usage per phone and (mostly) higher user
satisfaction ratings.

> It runs over 99% of the top 500 supercomputers.

When I have the need to run a supercomputer I will keep that in mind.

> We're not the hobbyist OS, Windows is.

Windows runs most desktops. Based on YOUR criteria, THAT matters.

> Your joke of an OS can't even run a tablet well.

No support.

> Face reality DFS, you work on a joke OS. Anyone who wants true stability,
> security and reliability doesn't choose Windows.

Yet you cannot think of any desktop tasks Linux handles better than the
competition.

> If Linux is too hard for you, don't fret.

Use something that makes getting tasks done easier. For Peter Köhlmann than
means Macs and OS X:
-----
The last days I prepared 2 OSX machines I intend to take with me
to Berlin, where I will stay for some weeks starting in about 10
days. Reason: Too much luggage, so I will take only a apple laptop
and a iMac instead of the full featured linux rig.
-----

For others it might mean something else.

--
* OS X / Linux: What is a file? <http://youtu.be/_dMbXGLW9PI>
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: <http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE>

-hh

Jul 13, 2016, 10:52:07 AM7/13/16
Marek Novotny wrote:
> DFS wrote:
> > [chrisv] wrote:
> >
> >> Something that stupid trolls forget is that some products
> >> are simply not intended for the mainstream consumer.
> >
> > We don't forget that - you Linux idiots do...
>
> Our OS runs the majority of the stock exchanges the world over.

Given how there's only ~20 major stock markets in the world,
it is hardly a 'mainstream consumer' market.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stock_exchanges>

> It runs most of the Internet and it runs most of the smart phones.

The first because of how much it stole from Unix.

The second because of Google dumping Billions into developing a
competitor to iOS because they otherwise would have lost their
advertising business model. The performance of the hardware
vendors illustrate that it isn't a particularly profitable market.

> It runs over 99% of the top 500 supercomputers.

Again, not a mainstream consumer market.

> We're not the hobbyist OS, Windows is.

Windows runs more Enterprise class systems in
every small city in the Western World than all of
those Stock Markets & Supercomputers in the world
running on Linux...combined. Much more mainstream.

> Your joke of an OS can't even run a tablet well.

The real joke is that despite your insults, you own an
iOS tablet yourself, having deliberately rejected its
Linux/Android competitors as inferior for your use case.

-hh

chrisv

Jul 13, 2016, 10:54:59 AM7/13/16
> some dumb fsck wrote:
>>
>> (snip lies)

Is Winphone languishing in the market because it's "not fit for the
masses", Dumfsck? Or is there some other explanation?

It is true that Linux distros are intended, and fit, for the masses.

So is Winphone, but it too languishes, *despite* huge marketing
campaigns and the backing of a large, well-known company!

--
"i<=22? Look at the clueless wonder go! That bit of shit-code does
two int comparisons on each iteration of the loop" - Dumfsck,

chrisv

Jul 13, 2016, 11:00:02 AM7/13/16
chrisv wrote:

>It is true that Linux distros are intended, and fit, for the masses.

Above should say "_some_ Linux distros" are intended for the masses.

>So is Winphone, but it too languishes, *despite* huge marketing
>campaigns and the backing of a large, well-known company!

--
"I have noted before how the herd sees me as a god." - some thing

DFS

Jul 13, 2016, 11:12:43 AM7/13/16
On 7/13/2016 10:40 AM, Marek Novotny wrote:
> On 2016-07-13, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>> On 7/13/2016 9:33 AM, shitv wrote:
>>
>>> Something that stupid trolls forget is that some products are simply
>>> not intended for the mainstream consumer.
>>
>> We don't forget that - you Linux idiots do. You think a hobbyist/niche
>> product like Linux is fit for the masses.
>
> Our OS runs the majority of the stock exchanges the world over.

Evidence?

> It runs most of the Internet

Where it's been spreading most of the world's malware for years.

Your share is about $1,100 per year. Pay up, or shut up.

> and it runs most of the smart phones.

Android was created by paid corporate developers, not the usual crappy
hobbyists that make up the overwhemling majority of the Linux/FOSS world.

And last I checked, WinPhone beat the hell out of Android for customer
satisfaction.

> It runs over 99% of the top 500 supercomputers.

What does that have to do with its rejection by billions of end users?

And you didn't know a Windows system debuted at #11 on a 2008 Top 500
list, leaving ~489 slow Linux/Unix crapboxes in its wake.

"Dawning 5000A, QC Opteron 1.9 Ghz, Infiniband, Windows HPC 2008,
Shanghai Supercomputer Center"

> We're not the hobbyist OS, Windows is.

You can deny reality all you want, but Linux is by definition a hobbyist OS.

> Your joke of an OS can't even run a tablet well.

Liar.

> Face reality DFS, you work on a joke OS. Anyone who wants true stability,

Linux is 'truly stable'? LMAO! You sure about that?

From what I read, Linux is by far the most randomly crashing, unstable
system on Earth.

> security

What security? A few months ago the Linux Mint site itself was serving
up compromised .iso files with backdoors to botnets.

> and reliability doesn't choose Windows.

Just ask these victims how reliable Linux is:

Mint: http://forums.linuxmint.com/
Ubuntu: http://ubuntuforums.org
Fedora: http://fedoraforum.org/
Mageia: https://forums.mageia.org/en/
Debian: http://forums.debian.net/
openSUSE: http://forums.opensuse.org/
Arch: https://bbs.archlinux.org/
CentOS: http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/
Puppy: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/
PCLinuxOS: http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/
Ultimate: http://forumubuntusoftware.info/
Lubuntu: http://ubuntuforums.org/tags.php?tag=lubuntu
Pear: http://pearlinux.org/index.php/forum/index
Chakra: http://chakra-project.org/bbs/
Sabayon: http://forum.sabayon.org/
Bodhi: http://forums.bodhilinux.com/
Slackware:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?forumid=14
Gentoo: http://forums.gentoo.org/
Zorin: http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/
Fuduntu: http://www.fuduntu.org/forum/

> If Linux is too hard for you, don't fret.

It's hard for me to take seriously as a day-to-day platform for work and
play.

GreyCloud

Jul 13, 2016, 1:09:04 PM7/13/16
A bit off topic here, but I just read in the vms newsgroup that Linux is
now OpenVMS biggest competitors. There is a discussion on how VSI is
rewritting vms for x64 platforms and the topic is pretty much
"UNIX/Linux things that vms should have". An interesting discussion.

-hh

Jul 13, 2016, 2:08:24 PM7/13/16
DFS wrote:
> On 7/13/2016 10:40 AM, Marek Novotny wrote:
> > [...]
> > It runs most of the Internet
>
> Where it's been spreading most of the world's malware for years.
> Your share is about $1,100 per year. Pay up, or shut up.

Ah, I'd forgotten about that line of dialog that Scott was
reminded of awhile back: the proliferation of cheaper servers
via Linux OS is what also opened the floodgates to more spammers.

> > It runs over 99% of the top 500 supercomputers.
>
> What does that have to do with its rejection by billions of end users?

Nada, particularly since unlike Joe Sixpack's home PC, the
organizational structure to have any supercomputer also
typically includes a dedicated IT support team to keep it running.

> And you didn't know a Windows system debuted at #11 on a 2008 Top 500
> list, leaving ~489 slow Linux/Unix crapboxes in its wake.

There was also Virginia Tech's "System X" project, which used
a bunch of G5 Mac Pro's on OS X 10.3; it ranked #3 in Nov 2003
and was still #280 as the July 2008 edition of the TOP500 list
(since decommissioned):

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_X_(computing)>

In any case, a lot has changed within these parts of the
computing industry ... but by the same token, there's still
some Fortune 100 corporations out there still running COBOL
apps on classical mainframe systems too.

-hh

DFS

Jul 13, 2016, 2:29:25 PM7/13/16
On 7/13/2016 8:10 AM, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> But people are weary when they hear "windows".

weary = wary (in this context)

Marek Novotny

Jul 13, 2016, 2:58:36 PM7/13/16
On 2016-07-13, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
> On 7/13/2016 10:40 AM, Marek Novotny wrote:

>>> We don't forget that - you Linux idiots do. You think a hobbyist/niche
>>> product like Linux is fit for the masses.
>>
>> Our OS runs the majority of the stock exchanges the world over.
>
> Evidence?

Google it...

>> It runs most of the Internet
>
> Where it's been spreading most of the world's malware for years.

We're the communications infrastructure, Windows is the OS getting
fucked in the ass, not Linux. Conficker, Stuxnet... Isn't there another
major windows bug out there again today? Your Joke of an OS gets fucked
every week it seems.

> Your share is about $1,100 per year. Pay up, or shut up.
>
>> and it runs most of the smart phones.
>
> Android was created by paid corporate developers, not the usual crappy
> hobbyists that make up the overwhemling majority of the Linux/FOSS world.

The Linux kernel is funded by the Linux Foundation, which is funded by
major corporations. Red Hat is the largest contributor to the kernel and
it is a paying employer. Much of the kernel are public companies
contributing to open source projects that are used by everyone. Like
SSL, that's an open source project. Hobbyist is your so sad made up
bullshit cause Linux beat the crap out of Windows. Just as I said, where
are you on systems that matter. Stock exchange? Super Computer? Why is
Azure using Linux as the switched fabric. HAHHAHAHHA You know why,
loser. Cause WINDOWS SUCKS ASS.

> And last I checked, WinPhone beat the hell out of Android for customer
> satisfaction.

Yeah, Bill Gates filled out the survey card. LOL. Percentage wise,
that's likely 50% of the customer base right there. We activate more
phones in a week than Windows sells in a 90 days. In two weeks, we
activate more phones than Windows activate all year long. AHAHHAHAHAHAH

Face it loser, JokeOS sucks ass. All you got are a bunch of fucking
losers on the desktop cause that's what BestBuy sells them. Bunch of
lemming losers.

>> It runs over 99% of the top 500 supercomputers.
>
> What does that have to do with its rejection by billions of end users?

They are not rejecting it you dumb fuck. They don't know even know it is
there. We're not in BestBuy. We're not forcing Windows 7 users to
upgrade to Linux, like Microshaft is doing with Windows 7 users. If you
want Linux, you gotta ask for it. That's not rejection. And you know it
and I know it. You're argument is so fucking lame...

> And you didn't know a Windows system debuted at #11 on a 2008 Top 500
> list, leaving ~489 slow Linux/Unix crapboxes in its wake.

In 2008... HAHAHAHA Show me one today. Why not anything in the list
today? Why did EVERYONE in the top 500 choose NOT to use Joke OS?
Stability, Security, speed. JokeOS can't do it. Would love to see JokeOS
7 try to run a super computer. A prompt would pop up and force a reboot
after JokeOS updates itself to JokeOS 10. I guess then the supercomputer
would then get infected with a virus written by a 9 year old.

> "Dawning 5000A, QC Opteron 1.9 Ghz, Infiniband, Windows HPC 2008,
> Shanghai Supercomputer Center"

Where are you now? Gone. So you've basically showing that Windows once
was used, but not anymore. What a flattering trend JokeOS is showing
you.

>> We're not the hobbyist OS, Windows is.
>
> You can deny reality all you want, but Linux is by definition a hobbyist OS.

Nope, JokeOS is. Your grandma runs. You run it, and you're a joke. Face
it, it's a jackass OS. Microsoft is already been sued and lost for
forcing JokeOS on some poor small business. HAHAHHAHA. Adobe apps
crashing left and right on Joke OS. Tablet, draining the battery by
doing nothing. Mean while a freaking iPad is doing better than Joke OS.
An iPAD!! At least it doesn't crash on me all day. At least it knows
when to use Cellular vs WiFi. Apple's little iPad has better networking
than your JokeOS. That's pretty sad.

>> Your joke of an OS can't even run a tablet well.
>
> Liar.

Liar liar panties on fire. LOL. Get a clue loser.

>> Face reality DFS, you work on a joke OS. Anyone who wants true stability,
>
> Linux is 'truly stable'? LMAO! You sure about that?

Absolutely sure.

> From what I read, Linux is by far the most randomly crashing, unstable
> system on Earth.

You can't read, come on....

>> security
>
> What security? A few months ago the Linux Mint site itself was serving
> up compromised .iso files with backdoors to botnets.

That's a layer 8 issue. Do you even know what that means?
Only a fucking retard would use that as an argument. You're a clueless
idiot. I thought you smarter, but obviously was wrong. Anyone in here
can go to ANY forum and find someone complaining about something.

Go read a Microsoft forum lamer.

>> If Linux is too hard for you, don't fret.
>
> It's hard for me to take seriously as a day-to-day platform for work and
> play.

Ah, don't worry loser. Where the real work is done, is on Linux. You
sound like a $35,000 a year help desk geek squad loser telling everyone
to reboot... HAHAHHAHAHA That doesn't cut it in the real world.

-hh

Jul 13, 2016, 3:09:47 PM7/13/16
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 2:58:36 PM UTC-4, Marek Novotny wrote:
> On 2016-07-13, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
> > On 7/13/2016 10:40 AM, Marek Novotny wrote:
> >> [...]
> Windows is the OS getting
> fucked in the ass, not Linux. Conficker, Stuxnet... Isn't there another
> major windows bug out there again today? Your Joke of an OS gets fucked
> every week it seems.
>
> >> security
> >
> > What security? A few months ago the Linux Mint site itself was serving
> > up compromised .iso files with backdoors to botnets.
>
> That's a layer 8 issue. Do you even know what that means?

How about an ELI5 on how that materially differs from Conficker,
and Stuxnet ... you know, just so that you're able to demonstrate
that you're not being a hypocrite.

> You sound like a $35,000 a year help desk geek squad loser
> telling everyone to reboot... HAHAHHAHAHA That doesn't cut
> it in the real world.

Unfortunately, with the "HAHAHHAHAHA" nonsense, you're sounding
far more unhinged, like the kid pushing the shopping carts
outside of the Best Buy, hoping to get a more elite "Geek Squad"
job inside some day.

-hh

Peter Köhlmann

Jul 13, 2016, 3:12:14 PM7/13/16
-hh wrote:

> DFS wrote:
>> On 7/13/2016 10:40 AM, Marek Novotny wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > It runs most of the Internet
>>
>> Where it's been spreading most of the world's malware for years.
>> Your share is about $1,100 per year. Pay up, or shut up.
>
> Ah, I'd forgotten about that line of dialog that Scott was
> reminded of awhile back: the proliferation of cheaper servers
> via Linux OS is what also opened the floodgates to more spammers.

Thats a rather idiotic claim.
The floddgates are opened by the massive amount of infected windows
machines.

There have been no spammers the last decade which used their own email
accounts. They all paid for windows botnets

It is dishonest on a snittish level to claim that the OS doing the work of
delivering packets is responsible for the malware and spam

Snit

Jul 13, 2016, 3:28:58 PM7/13/16
On 7/13/16, 12:12 PM, in article nm63qb$2om$2...@dont-email.me, "Peter
See: you are obsessed with me. Why? Ah, yes... keep in mind what is freaking
you out, Peter:

1) You finally admitted that when you have to be limited with tech you
select your (older!) Macs / OS X because they serves your needs / handle
tasks better than Linux:
-----
The last days I prepared 2 OSX machines I intend to take with me
to Berlin, where I will stay for some weeks starting in about 10
days. Reason: Too much luggage, so I will take only a apple laptop
and a iMac instead of the full featured linux rig.
-----

2) The Mac makes it easy to set up IPv4 and IPv6 but you were not competent
enough to figure it out (the option you wanted was in an "advanced" area):
<https://goo.gl/4yKzcj>.
-----
a setup with a preselected IPV4 address and a dynamically IPV6
address... it is quite difficult to set [OSX and Windows] up that
way which is *easy* to do with linux
-----

3) When trying to set up SMB in OS X (even though you already had other
sharing set up), you tried to go somewhere in the "OSX setup" instead of the
sharing preference panel where the setting is under "options":
<https://goo.gl/fdM0hq>.
-----
So I end up setting up the VMs on both machines to use "shared
directories" for the dirs in question, and to *additionally* share
them via the "Shares" tab in OSX system setup instead of having
them shared just once in Samba.
-----

Now we get to see you throw a tantrum, and the herd come to back you up with
attempts to put me on the defensive and move the topic away from technology.

Marek Novotny

Jul 13, 2016, 3:29:13 PM7/13/16
On 2016-07-13, -hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 2:58:36 PM UTC-4, Marek Novotny wrote:
>> Windows is the OS getting
>> fucked in the ass, not Linux. Conficker, Stuxnet... Isn't there another
>> major windows bug out there again today? Your Joke of an OS gets fucked
>> every week it seems.

>> > What security? A few months ago the Linux Mint site itself was serving
>> > up compromised .iso files with backdoors to botnets.
>>
>> That's a layer 8 issue. Do you even know what that means?
>
> How about an ELI5 on how that materially differs from Conficker,
> and Stuxnet ... you know, just so that you're able to demonstrate
> that you're not being a hypocrite.

Gosh, I dunno, how about 4 Zero days in one virus, stuxnet.

The Mint site was hacked due to a flaw in Word Press. So are you just
waiting for me to educate you on how this all actually happened? Cause
it sounds like you're fishing and actually don't know jack-shit about
this at all.

>> You sound like a $35,000 a year help desk geek squad loser
>> telling everyone to reboot... HAHAHHAHAHA That doesn't cut
>> it in the real world.
>
> Unfortunately, with the "HAHAHHAHAHA" nonsense, you're sounding
> far more unhinged, like the kid pushing the shopping carts
> outside of the Best Buy, hoping to get a more elite "Geek Squad"
> job inside some day.

Sounds like you're projecting your own insecurity on others. I'm in a
Linux group cause I use Linux. Why are you here?

-hh

Jul 13, 2016, 3:39:40 PM7/13/16
Peter Köhlmann wrote:
> -hh wrote:
> > DFS wrote:
> >>
> >> Where it's been spreading most of the world's malware for years.
> >> Your share is about $1,100 per year. Pay up, or shut up.
> >
> > Ah, I'd forgotten about that line of dialog that Scott was
> > reminded of awhile back: the proliferation of cheaper servers
> > via Linux OS is what also opened the floodgates to more spammers.
> >

> Thats a rather idiotic claim.

Not at all: if you're going to try to take credit for an
appliance, you need to accept responsibility for all that said
appliance does, both the good and the bad.

> The floddgates are opened by the massive amount of infected
> windows machines.

But of course they are, for Windows boxes have traditionally
represented the vast majority of the nodes on the 'net,
particularly those that are continuously connected and with
grid power to form a good zombie army.

> There have been no spammers the last decade which used their
> own email accounts. They all paid for windows botnets

Stuff always evolves; film at 11. Botnets are the better tool
for malicious stuff like DDOS attacks...whereas for normal
email spam, there have been some "King" spammers who had
houses full of their own hardware sending the crap out.

> It is dishonest on a snittish level to claim that the OS
> doing the work of delivering packets is responsible for
> the malware and spam

It is equally dishonest to claim that an OS, as but one
attribute of an appliance system, is the linchpin that's
responsible for making the whole world work. Especially
when the technology existed before that OS even existed.

Accept both, or reject both ... choose your poison.

-hh

Snit

Jul 13, 2016, 3:40:23 PM7/13/16
On 7/13/16, 12:29 PM, in article
kMmdnYY4UekfCxvK...@giganews.com, "Marek Novotny"
<marek....@marspolar.com> wrote:

> On 2016-07-13, -hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
>>> Windows is the OS getting
>>> fucked in the ass, not Linux. Conficker, Stuxnet... Isn't there another
>>> major windows bug out there again today? Your Joke of an OS gets fucked
>>> every week it seems.

>>> That's a layer 8 issue. Do you even know what that means?
>>
>> How about an ELI5 on how that materially differs from Conficker,
>> and Stuxnet ... you know, just so that you're able to demonstrate
>> that you're not being a hypocrite.
>
> Gosh, I dunno, how about 4 Zero days in one virus, stuxnet.
>
> The Mint site was hacked due to a flaw in Word Press. So are you just
> waiting for me to educate you on how this all actually happened? Cause
> it sounds like you're fishing and actually don't know jack-shit about
> this at all.

So a flaw in open source allowed it to be hacked. OK.

>>> You sound like a $35,000 a year help desk geek squad loser
>>> telling everyone to reboot... HAHAHHAHAHA That doesn't cut
>>> it in the real world.
>>
>> Unfortunately, with the "HAHAHHAHAHA" nonsense, you're sounding
>> far more unhinged, like the kid pushing the shopping carts
>> outside of the Best Buy, hoping to get a more elite "Geek Squad"
>> job inside some day.
>
> Sounds like you're projecting your own insecurity on others. I'm in a
> Linux group cause I use Linux. Why are you here?

-hh

Jul 13, 2016, 3:53:29 PM7/13/16
Marek Novotny wrote:
> -hh wrote:
> > Marek Novotny wrote:
> >> Windows is the OS getting
> >> fucked in the ass, not Linux. Conficker, Stuxnet... Isn't there another
> >> major windows bug out there again today? Your Joke of an OS gets fucked
> >> every week it seems.

> >> That's a layer 8 issue. Do you even know what that means?
> >
> > How about an ELI5 on how that materially differs from Conficker,
> > and Stuxnet ... you know, just so that you're able to demonstrate
> > that you're not being a hypocrite.
>
> Gosh, I dunno, how about 4 Zero days in one virus, stuxnet.

Figured you would dodge.

And zero days exist everywhere by definition. There's nothing
profoundly unique about Linux which makes it immune from them too.

> The Mint site was hacked due to a flaw in Word Press. So are you just
> waiting for me to educate you on how this all actually happened? Cause
> it sounds like you're fishing and actually don't know jack-shit about
> this at all.

Merely Devil's Advocate. After all, how are you not being
apologetic right now for Linux because of its OS architecture
failing to adequately sandbox an app (Word Press)?

> >> You sound like a $35,000 a year help desk geek squad loser
> >> telling everyone to reboot... HAHAHHAHAHA That doesn't cut
> >> it in the real world.
> >
> > Unfortunately, with the "HAHAHHAHAHA" nonsense, you're sounding
> > far more unhinged, like the kid pushing the shopping carts
> > outside of the Best Buy, hoping to get a more elite "Geek Squad"
> > job inside some day.
>
> Sounds like you're projecting your own insecurity on others. I'm
> in a Linux group cause I use Linux. Why are you here?

And I use Linux as well, so what's your actual point?

Upset that I don't worship the ground it walk on, right?
Sorry, but Linux just ain't a sack of flawless crystals made
from virgin unicorn tears. Not even close: of the (now down
to) four OS's I regularly use, it is the one that is of the
least value-added to my use cases' workflows.

-hh

chrisv

Jul 13, 2016, 4:20:45 PM7/13/16
Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> lying asshole "-hh" wrote:
>>
>> some dumb fsck wrote:
>>>
>>> Where it's been spreading most of the world's malware for years.
>>
>> Ah, I'd forgotten about that line of dialog that Scott was
>> reminded of awhile back: the proliferation of cheaper servers
>> via Linux OS is what also opened the floodgates to more spammers.

Yeah, it took a ridiculous asshole, like you, -highhorse, to counter
the advocate's point that Linux reduced the cost of computing, with
the shit-brained "point" that reducing the cost of computing allowed
more "bad" usage of computers.

>Thats a rather idiotic claim.
>The floddgates are opened by the massive amount of infected windows
>machines.
>
>There have been no spammers the last decade which used their own email
>accounts. They all paid for windows botnets
>
>It is dishonest on a snittish level to claim that the OS doing the work of
>delivering packets is responsible for the malware and spam

They are idiots and liars without shame.

--
"You mean that web that because of cheaper servers allowed for the
explosion in bogus websites for phsihing attacks? The entire argument

Snit

Jul 13, 2016, 4:34:41 PM7/13/16
On 7/13/16, 12:53 PM, in article
f0e424df-c47f-4d66...@googlegroups.com, "-hh"
<recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:

> Marek Novotny wrote:
>> -hh wrote:

>>> How about an ELI5 on how that materially differs from Conficker,
>>> and Stuxnet ... you know, just so that you're able to demonstrate
>>> that you're not being a hypocrite.
>>
>> Gosh, I dunno, how about 4 Zero days in one virus, stuxnet.
>
> Figured you would dodge.
>
> And zero days exist everywhere by definition. There's nothing
> profoundly unique about Linux which makes it immune from them too.

Not just Linux but the OSs that run on it... Mint, Android, Chrome OS, etc.

The herd likes to compare the kernel their OS is running with the full OS
others do when it comes to security weaknesses. In other words: they lie.

Marek Novotny

Jul 13, 2016, 4:37:17 PM7/13/16
On 2016-07-13, -hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
Because Linux doesn't sandbox word press unless you want to. You'd have
to make a container for that and secure it. It's up to you. We don't
claim to sandbox it. You're just making this up as you go along. Now if
I wanted to secure a site, I might use BSD and Jails to do that.

With Stuxnet, Windows is being compromised over and over again to get
Stuxnet from one place to another. It basically infected computers in
almost every country to end up in the air-gapped Natanz nuclear
enrichment lab. It did this completely solo. It only works because
virtually every Windows box it touched it was able to break.

Windows has so many zero days out there it is basically not to be
trusted at this point. Hell you can't even see the source code. There is
no peer review even possible with it. You don't know if it is written
poorly or not because no one can see or talk about it publicly. That
right there is a problem.

What we do in Linux, is open and available for everyone to see. We're
not hiding. And still we'll more secure. Just imagine what would happen
if Microsoft published all their source code today. I'd bet you'd find a
heck of a lot more flaws.

We're already exposed. We're not hiding behind NDAs and closed source
crap. You guys are chicken shits. Compromised to kingdom come even
without publishing your source code. Windows is joke. And the joke is on
you users who buy into their bullshit.

>> > Unfortunately, with the "HAHAHHAHAHA" nonsense, you're sounding
>> > far more unhinged, like the kid pushing the shopping carts
>> > outside of the Best Buy, hoping to get a more elite "Geek Squad"
>> > job inside some day.
>>
>> Sounds like you're projecting your own insecurity on others. I'm
>> in a Linux group cause I use Linux. Why are you here?
>
> And I use Linux as well, so what's your actual point?
>
> Upset that I don't worship the ground it walk on, right?
> Sorry, but Linux just ain't a sack of flawless crystals made
> from virgin unicorn tears. Not even close: of the (now down
> to) four OS's I regularly use, it is the one that is of the
> least value-added to my use cases' workflows.

So then you don't really use Linux. You just have it loaded so you can
say you use it. Fact is, you're another Windows tard sitting in a Linux
group cause why? Why be here? None of you ever have a real answer for
that. Face the facts. We're in a Linux group cause we use Linux. Why are
you here again? Cause you're losers. Cause you just want to talk shit.
You like Windows so much, talk it up in a Windows group. Why not do that
eh? See, cause ya want to be trolls.

Snit

Jul 13, 2016, 4:49:05 PM7/13/16
On 7/13/16, 1:37 PM, in article
QMGdnUb16PvrOxvK...@giganews.com, "Marek Novotny"
<marek....@marspolar.com> wrote:

Word Press is ALSO open source.

For crying out loud...

Peter Köhlmann

Jul 13, 2016, 4:51:54 PM7/13/16
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer Guy
and phony "Instructor at Yavapai College" babbled:
It is not linux. Yet the snittish imbecile DumbFullSnit claims it was Mint
which was responsible. Do you blabbering idiots ever get something right?

-hh

Jul 13, 2016, 4:55:24 PM7/13/16
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 4:20:45 PM UTC-4, chrisv wrote:

Poor, poor chrisv ... still utterly pwned. And trying to
snipe from behind his alleged killfile:

> >> Ah, I'd forgotten about that line of dialog that Scott was
> >> reminded of awhile back: the proliferation of cheaper servers
> >> via Linux OS is what also opened the floodgates to more spammers.
>
> Yeah, it took a ridiculous asshole, like you, -highhorse, to counter
> the advocate's point that Linux reduced the cost of computing, with
> the shit-brained "point" that reducing the cost of computing allowed
> more "bad" usage of computers.

Well, it is true nevertheless, isn't it? Too bad you want to
be a child and try to claim only the good, rather than to recognize
that there's been both good & bad. Its really has been your utter
refusal to be objective that is why you get bitch-slapped.

Thusly:
> --
> "You mean that web that because of cheaper servers allowed for the
> explosion in bogus websites for phsihing attacks? The entire argument
> is simply one that Linux facilitated lower operating costs sooner, and
> that wasn't always for the better." - lying asshole "-hh"

Of course, things were nicer on the Internet 30+ years ago, when
it was overwhelmingly college educated and articulate participants,
without the foul-mouthed moldy basement dwellers as has been once
again so clearly illustrated by the ill behavior of chrisv.

-hh

Snit

Jul 13, 2016, 4:55:54 PM7/13/16
On 7/13/16, 1:51 PM, in article nm69l8$nnd$1...@dont-email.me, "Peter Köhlmann"
Your tech knowledge is growing! But now see if you can figure out, based on
Marek's comments, why it being open source is relevant.

I bet not!

Marek Novotny

Jul 13, 2016, 5:01:28 PM7/13/16
BWAHAHAHAHA. Snit it totally stupid. OMG Word Press was written by
humans! What's this clown's I.Q., 50?

Snit

Jul 13, 2016, 5:10:03 PM7/13/16
On 7/13/16, 2:01 PM, in article
BMWdnUuhhtW_MRvK...@giganews.com, "Marek Novotny"
Wait... I noted it was open source, and Marek concludes that means I thought
it was not written by humans?

Um... WHAT?

-hh

Jul 13, 2016, 5:14:25 PM7/13/16
Marek Novotny wrote:
> -hh wrote:
> > Marek Novotny wrote:
> >>
> >> The Mint site was hacked due to a flaw in Word Press. So are you just
> >> waiting for me to educate you on how this all actually happened? Cause
> >> it sounds like you're fishing and actually don't know jack-shit about
> >> this at all.
> >
> > Merely Devil's Advocate. After all, how are you not being
> > apologetic right now for Linux because of its OS architecture
> > failing to adequately sandbox an app (Word Press)?
>
> Because Linux doesn't sandbox word press unless you want to.

Sandboxing has been identified as a clearly superior approach
to system security, so if Linux is so supposedly better in that
regard, then why isn't sandboxing the default?

> You'd have to make a container for that and secure it...

Extra work and opportunity (risk) for operator error.

> Now if I wanted to secure a site, ...

As opposed to *wanting* to not be secure? Want to try that again?

Or is this just YA case of "betaware" where best practices say to
first make sure that the basic system is able to work before you
actually work up all of the rest of the widgets to actually deploy it?

> With Stuxnet, Windows ... It only works because
> virtually every Windows box it touched it was able to break.

Its proliferation was enabled by an old exploit of USB hardware
standards that exist on every system that supports USB standards.
That's how it was able to cross air gaps.

> >> Sounds like you're projecting your own insecurity on others. I'm
> >> in a Linux group cause I use Linux. Why are you here?
> >
> > And I use Linux as well, so what's your actual point?
> >
> > Upset that I don't worship the ground it walk on, right?
> > Sorry, but Linux just ain't a sack of flawless crystals made
> > from virgin unicorn tears. Not even close: of the (now down
> > to) four OS's I regularly use, it is the one that is of the
> > least value-added to my use cases' workflows.
>
> So then you don't really use Linux. You just have it loaded
> so you can say you use it.

You don't know my workflows, so you should stop guessing and
trying to make it fit your very biased personal agenda.

The simple fact of the matter with Linux is that many of
the workflows I employ have much better toolboxes on other
OS's which make them the better mousetrap to use. There's
a few in which Linux is better, so it hasn't been kicked out
the door, just as how I still have a router for those rare
occasions where my woodworking projects need a router.

> Fact is, ....

The fact is that far too many on COLA are angry and frustrated
and this is a vehicle for them to vent their spleen. That
anger at the world at large is why you & many others so
quickly devolve into name calling, especially when your
advocacy rationalization attempts are shown to be lame & weak.
All of these Ad Hominems are merely lame distraction attempts.

So get out of your spoiled brat diaper and find a set of Big Boy
pants to put on: your first step towards actually growing up is
to admit that the world in general doesn't really give a damn
about the things that you've invest so much of your emotional
capital in. All of these OS's are merely tools in the toolbox
and each has its pros/cons .. there is no "miracle cure".

-hh

Steve Carroll

Jul 13, 2016, 6:12:32 PM7/13/16
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 1:29:13 PM UTC-6, Marek Novotny wrote:
> On 2016-07-13, -hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
> >> Windows is the OS getting
> >> fucked in the ass, not Linux. Conficker, Stuxnet... Isn't there another
> >> major windows bug out there again today? Your Joke of an OS gets fucked
> >> every week it seems.

> >> That's a layer 8 issue. Do you even know what that means?
> >
> > How about an ELI5 on how that materially differs from Conficker,
> > and Stuxnet ... you know, just so that you're able to demonstrate
> > that you're not being a hypocrite.
>
> Gosh, I dunno, how about 4 Zero days in one virus, stuxnet.
>
> The Mint site was hacked due to a flaw in Word Press. So are you just
> waiting for me to educate you on how this all actually happened?

What WP flaw caused the Linux Mint site's issue with serving up compromised .iso files with backdoors to bonnets?

William Poaster

Jul 13, 2016, 6:20:05 PM7/13/16
Nicely deconstructed DumbFor$ure's "arguments". :-)

And this item is from the real world, where real work is done.
I have the original author's permission to reprint it:-

With regard to the wintrolls, & windows users in general:-
The world you inhabit is remarkably different than the one I inhabit.

I live in the professional world, where below-amateur-grade software
like the products of the Microsoft Corporation are viewed as a joke --
and a bad one at that -- completely unsuitable for use by anyone who
is actually serious about high-quality computing and networking.

I live in the Internet world.  It's based on open standards and open
software, with things like peer review and consensus playing important
roles -- and things like FUD and embrace-and-extinguish recognized
as selfish and destructive.

I live in the anti-spam world, where people do not directly support
spam by knowingly buying the goods and services sold by spammers.

But aside from all that: why we have such very different world views:

It's all a matter of experience and perspective: there are a LOT of people
around now who accept things like "there are viruses that propagate via
"SMTP" as normal.  It never occurs to them to take a step back and ask
"IS this normal?"...because if they did, the answer would be "hell no,
it's NOT normal, and we shouldn't accept it as normal".

And *that*, more than anything else, is the damage that Microsoft
has done to the Internet: it has conditioned an enormous number of
people to accept things-as-they-are not just as the status quo (which,
by definition, it IS) but as inevitable, unavoidable, and unchangeable.

People like you.  And you, and you, and you. [consider it directed
at "you" if appropriate]

And as a result, today, despite some very clever things (firewalls,
IDSs, and so on) the Internet is far less secure and stable as a
whole than it was 15 or 20 years ago.

And since the less secure the Internet is, the more opportunity
there is for abusers of all types (including of course spammers). And so
the spam problem will continue to get steadily worse until people stop
accepting the status quo - until they stop accepting the very worst
available applications and operating systems as "what everyone uses"
and moreover "what everyone should use" and "what everyone must use".

Many people don't want to face this.  They want to keep slapping bandaids
on the problem - bandaids like SPF and anti-virus software and DNSBLs and
port 25 blocking and anti-adware software and domainkeys and proxypots
and Bayesian classifiers and challenge-response and whitelists and
a hundred other things.  They seem to be blissfully unaware that we
have ALREADY been slapping bandaids on the problem for over a decade and
all that we have to show for it are a lot more places that are bleeding.
Profusely.

Yet they seem very, very determined to do everything possible to keep
inventing and using more bandaids rather than taking a deep breath,
gathering themselves, and doing the one thing that would help more
than everything else combined.

It really is quite fascinating to watch.  Frustrating, but fascinating.
( Some clinical psychology student could probably wrangle a PhD thesis
out of the mass exercise in avoidance that's going on. )

So, a prediction: spam will persist as long as Microsoft persists.
It flourishes in the environment of insecurity that Microsoft
provides like bacteria flourishes in a Petri dish full of agar.

You can ridicule this all you like.  It doesn't matter: I've heard it
ALL before.  Heard it 25+ years ago when those of us who were early
adopters and promoters of wacky stuff like Berkeley Unix and this
nutty "IP" thing were told it would never amount to anything, was
just the crazed dream of a bunch of hippie hackers with no clue
about the real world.

Riiiiiiiiight.

Oddly enough, none of the people who were so adamant at the time
seem to have resurfaced long enough to admit that they were just
about as wrong as it's possible to be.

But they've been replaced with a similar crowd: they're busy
now telling all the Linux folks the same kinds of things.  Oh, this
new crowd is just as short-sighted, ignorant, and foolish, but
there's no point in telling them so.  (See, I did learn something
all those years ago.)

So -- if you like -- tuck this note away and pull it out in, oh,
say 2020 or 2025.

See if you still want to ridicule it then.  If you do, I shouldn't
be too hard to find.  (And if I'm dead?  Please feel free to do so
anyway; I'll be long past caring, and besides, if I'm that wildly
wrong, I *should* be ridiculed, dead or alive.  So be my guest.)

-- D. Denis --

Peter Köhlmann

Jul 13, 2016, 6:20:35 PM7/13/16
You can't secure a website completely against malicious attacks, since it
has to be accessible by definition.
What you can do is sandboxing the site itself and limit its ability to
change anything outside of the sandbox. For example, make it difficult to
exchange content delivered by content which has been altered.

Also, but that also depends on the receiving side checking for it, provide
Hashes of the content from a different server, so that there is a warning
signal if computed hash and received hash are different, because that should
never happen

Steve Carroll

Jul 13, 2016, 6:29:48 PM7/13/16
That aside... that I read the issue wasn't with WP core, it had to do with them not securing things (and possibly using some custom plugins?). The vast majority of things that are blamed on WP have to do with not securing things and/or poorly written themes and plugins. The core itself is actually relatively solid if it's hosted in a secure fashion. No software connected to a network is ever 100% safe forever and probably never will be.

John Taylor

Jul 13, 2016, 6:37:46 PM7/13/16
Marek Novotny wrote:

> On 2016-07-13, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>> On 7/13/2016 9:33 AM, shitv wrote:
>>
>>> Something that stupid trolls forget is that some products are simply
>>> not intended for the mainstream consumer.
>>
>> We don't forget that - you Linux idiots do. You think a hobbyist/niche
>> product like Linux is fit for the masses.
>
> Our OS runs the majority of the stock exchanges the world over. It runs
> most of the Internet and it runs most of the smart phones. It runs over
> 99% of the top 500 supercomputers. We're not the hobbyist OS, Windows
> is. Your joke of an OS can't even run a tablet well. Face reality DFS,
> you work on a joke OS. Anyone who wants true stability, security and
> reliability doesn't choose Windows.

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm shopping for a supercomputer or a
stock exchange.

> If Linux is too hard for you, don't fret.

Evidently it must be too difficult for you as well because you need to
use Apple and Microsoft products to fill in the gaps left by Linux.
Hell, you can't even show how desktop Linux is superior.

John Taylor

Jul 13, 2016, 6:39:43 PM7/13/16
Marek Novotny wrote:

> We're already exposed. We're not hiding behind NDAs and closed source
> crap. You guys are chicken shits. Compromised to kingdom come even
> without publishing your source code. Windows is joke. And the joke is on
> you users who buy into their bullshit.

You prefer to have your exploits right in front of the many eyes to
find. The problem is, the hackers usually find these exploits years
before the Open Source community does.

Shellshock and Heartbleed come to mind.
There are many others.

John Taylor

Jul 13, 2016, 6:40:53 PM7/13/16
Marek Novotny wrote:

> BWAHAHAHAHA. Snit it totally stupid. OMG Word Press was written by
> humans! What's this clown's I.Q., 50?

I know this may come as a surprise to you but most software is written
by humans.
What are you smoking?

John Taylor

Jul 13, 2016, 6:45:00 PM7/13/16
Marek Novotny wrote:

> On 2016-07-13, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:

>>> Our OS runs the majority of the stock exchanges the world over.
>>
>> Evidence?
>
> Google it...
>
>>> It runs most of the Internet
>>
>> Where it's been spreading most of the world's malware for years.
>
> We're the communications infrastructure, Windows is the OS getting
> fucked in the ass, not Linux. Conficker, Stuxnet... Isn't there another
> major windows bug out there again today? Your Joke of an OS gets fucked
> every week it seems.

Yea, like shellshock and heartbleed amongst others.
Oh, those are open source exploited programs.
My mistake.

> Ah, don't worry loser. Where the real work is done, is on Linux. You
> sound like a $35,000 a year help desk geek squad loser telling everyone
> to reboot... HAHAHHAHAHA That doesn't cut it in the real world.

You sound like a petulant child.
Stop posting until you sober up or grow up whichever comes first.
You cratered about 10 posts ago.

Snit

Jul 13, 2016, 7:45:36 PM7/13/16
On 7/13/16, 3:40 PM, in article nm6g1j$i1l$1...@dont-email.me, "John Taylor"
This is the basic conversation (not digging back, just off the top of my
head):

Marek:
Windows is insecure because it is not open source.
Linux is secure because it is open source.
WordPress is insecure.

Snit:
Um, Marek, WordPress is open source, too. Your line
of reasoning is not rational.

Marek:
Hahahaha Snit does not know Word Press is written by
humans.

Really... WTF?

Marek Novotny

Jul 13, 2016, 8:15:13 PM7/13/16
Yeah I been there. Funny how the losers of the argument suddenly vanish
in the grand scheme of things. And new morons pop up and troll in their
place some new theme.

John Taylor

Jul 13, 2016, 8:22:07 PM7/13/16
Marek Novotny wrote:

> Yeah I been there. Funny how the losers of the argument suddenly vanish
> in the grand scheme of things. And new morons pop up and troll in their
> place some new theme.

Nobody has vanished, except the Linux herd. We are all here and we are
all still waiting for the Linux herd to demonstrate how desktop Linux
is superior to OSX or Windows. The Linux herd sure seems to vanish
when that topic comes up. Snit has sure done a great job showing how
piss poor desktop Linux is at performing common, simple tasks.

The Linux herd claims Windows and OSX are substandard when compared to
desktop Linux. So if that is the case, it should be simple to
demonstrate.

Yet the Linux herd vanishes.

Snit

Jul 13, 2016, 8:30:57 PM7/13/16
On 7/13/16, 5:22 PM, in article nm6lvd$26l$1...@dont-email.me, "John Taylor"
<taylo...@europe.com> wrote:

> Marek Novotny wrote:
>

>> Yeah I been there. Funny how the losers of the argument suddenly vanish
>> in the grand scheme of things. And new morons pop up and troll in their
>> place some new theme.
>
> Nobody has vanished, except the Linux herd.

Peter Köhlmann has said he cannot imagine someone not posting unless they
were in PRISON! Now Marek shows shock that people post WHEN THEY WANT... as
if they OWE him.

Insane.

> We are all here and we are all still waiting for the Linux herd to demonstrate
> how desktop Linux is superior to OSX or Windows. The Linux herd sure seems to
> vanish when that topic comes up. Snit has sure done a great job showing how
> piss poor desktop Linux is at performing common, simple tasks.

That is the real issue - the one they keep trying to move goal posts from.
Marek is completely incapable of finding desktop tasks Linux handles better
than the competition.

> The Linux herd claims Windows and OSX are substandard when compared to desktop
> Linux. So if that is the case, it should be simple to demonstrate.

Exactly. But now we know even Peter prefers OS X.

> Yet the Linux herd vanishes.

ronb

Jul 13, 2016, 11:10:15 PM7/13/16
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:29:05 -0700, Marek Novotny wrote:

> Sounds like you're projecting your own insecurity on others. I'm in a
> Linux group cause I use Linux. Why are you here?

Because -hh is a bitter old biddy who is obviously not happy with his
Macs and with OSX, so he lashes out at those who are happy with their OS.

--
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists

Marek Novotny

Jul 13, 2016, 11:25:18 PM7/13/16
On 2016-07-14, ronb <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:29:05 -0700, Marek Novotny wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you're projecting your own insecurity on others. I'm in a
>> Linux group cause I use Linux. Why are you here?
>
> Because -hh is a bitter old biddy who is obviously not happy with his
> Macs and with OSX, so he lashes out at those who are happy with their OS.

Oh if that's the case, I'd almost give the poor sap a pass. Anyone using
a Mac is bound to go a little nuts after a while. It's a shit platform.
I know I've been close to throwing my laptop threw a window a couple
times. Pretty close, seriously. I hate that piece of shit. I sink over
$3,000 into it though. Apple makes crap though. I like a nice ThinkPad.

-hh

Jul 13, 2016, 11:30:02 PM7/13/16
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 11:10:15 PM UTC-4, ronb wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:29:05 -0700, Marek Novotny wrote:
>
> > Sounds like you're projecting your own insecurity on others. I'm in a
> > Linux group cause I use Linux. Why are you here?
>
> Because -hh is a bitter old biddy who is obviously not happy with his
> Macs and with OSX, so he lashes out at those who are happy with their OS.

Sorry, but the Mac too is just yet another tool in the toolbox...try unloading
your personal emotional baggage elsewhere.

And since you're still traumatized from being pwned for saying stupid stuff that
you have ... the solution is to not say stupid stuff in the first place, not to cry
and blubber as a helpless baby victim instead of a 50 year old adult who's
actually responsible & accountable for his own life decisions.

-hh

Marek Novotny

Jul 13, 2016, 11:35:25 PM7/13/16
On 2016-07-14, -hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 11:10:15 PM UTC-4, ronb wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:29:05 -0700, Marek Novotny wrote:
>>
>> > Sounds like you're projecting your own insecurity on others. I'm in a
>> > Linux group cause I use Linux. Why are you here?
>>
>> Because -hh is a bitter old biddy who is obviously not happy with his
>> Macs and with OSX, so he lashes out at those who are happy with their OS.
>

> Sorry, but the Mac too is just yet another tool in the toolbox...try unloading
> your personal emotional baggage elsewhere.

Nope, no way loser. If that were true you'd not even be here at all. The
fact is you are here. And that alone tells us something about you.
You're a koolaid drinking loser hanging out in a Linux group. Not only
do you give a shit, it's a religion to you. I have absolutely NO doubt
you're one of those idiots that waits in line to buy "whatever" they
announce. No matter what it is. You don't like what you have become,
which is why you won't openly state what a crazed fan-boi you are. But
make no mistake, YOU ARE. You can't leave this group. You're way too
invested in it. Just another tool my ass.

-hh

Jul 13, 2016, 11:39:42 PM7/13/16
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 11:25:18 PM UTC-4, Marek Novotny wrote:

> Oh if that's the case, ...

You know its not, as I just reminded you yet again that I run multiple OS's.

> I know I've been close to throwing my laptop threw a window a couple
> times.

That Dell 15" XPS 9550 that you just "Vented" about on 6 July.

> I sink over $3,000 into it though... I like a nice ThinkPad.

Too much for that Dell - - you got ripped off. For $3K you could have
easily bought a decent ThinkPad. I've had better success with Thinkpads
than any of the Dells or their ilk...although i do have to admit that I'm down
to my last genuine IBM keyboard on the one X series docking station.

Or you could be halfway to buying a new Canon EF 400mm f/4L DO IS lens,
for which one's desktop is merely a _peripheral_ to your workflow.

-hh

Marek Novotny

Jul 14, 2016, 12:02:57 AM7/14/16
On 2016-07-14, -hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 11:25:18 PM UTC-4, Marek Novotny wrote:
>>
>> Oh if that's the case, ...
>
> You know its not, as I just reminded you yet again that I run multiple OS's.

Sure you do. You don't live Linux. You don't commit to it. You play with
it here and there, but you'd break trying to make it your daily driver.
That's the difference between you and me. I ran Solaris as my ONLY
system for a long time. There was NOTHING else. I can run Solaris,
FreeBSD and Linux and NOTHING else and feel right at home. Within a few
minutes I'll have my scripts, my ports and my desktop just the way I
like them.

You're like Snit. Likely running a VM somewhere and you think you know
the OS. You don't. Switch to it for a solid year with NOTHING else at
all to fall back on. Then you will learn this OS.

>> I know I've been close to throwing my laptop threw a window a couple
>> times.
>
> That Dell 15" XPS 9550 that you just "Vented" about on 6 July.

No, I have a 2011 MacBook Pro. I bought that Dell hoping to replace that
MacBook with the Dell. The whole reason I bought it was to run Adobe's
suite. And the fucking piece of shit Windows 10 crashes left and right
on it. Now, I ran Ubuntu 15.10 and 16.04 on that same machine and it was
rock solid. It's not the hardware. It's Windows 10 and the nVidia GPU
driver, plus some bullshit bugs in Adobe's crapware. My only complaint
with Dell is that their keyboard sucks ass. It's way too shallow. They
followed those fucking retards at Apple with shit keyboard ideas instead
of focusing on comfort.

>> I sink over $3,000 into it though... I like a nice ThinkPad.
>
> Too much for that Dell - - you got ripped off. For $3K you could have
> easily bought a decent ThinkPad. I've had better success with Thinkpads
> than any of the Dells or their ilk...although i do have to admit that I'm down
> to my last genuine IBM keyboard on the one X series docking station.

No, the Dell was half of that. The MacBook was about $2400 if I remember
correctly, but when I bought it I added a $1,199 480 GB SSD. That's how
much they cost back then for that size. It's a Mercury Pro from OWC. And
that piece of shit runs on the SandForce controller which at that time
is also a piece of shit. Plus Apple back then wouldn't support trim for
anything you put into the Mac. Another bullshit lock in by the dickheads
at Apple at the time.

> Or you could be halfway to buying a new Canon EF 400mm f/4L DO IS lens,
> for which one's desktop is merely a _peripheral_ to your workflow.

Snapping photos ain't my thing. I do appreciate art though. So if you
got an eye for that and can shoot something compelling, I'd be
interested in it. I like art. But my employer and clients are doing
their best to make sure I hate art. I have to deal with so many people
that lack talent.

-hh

Jul 14, 2016, 12:05:53 AM7/14/16
Marek Novotny wrote:
Golly, such a fanboy that even a simple search here in COLA will reveal
that I've described the current Mac Pro by the endearing term of "trash can".

And when I say tool, I mean it. You can go find where I've already mentioned
this on other discussion forums, but I'm looking at the replacement for my
Mac Pro desktop and have pretty much concluded that neither the iMac nor
the Mac Pro "trashcan" are well suited for that hardware system's primary
workflow requirements, so I've already started to work on transitioning
that capability over onto a Windows tower.

True, I could force-fit it into the Trash Can and make it work, but it would
cost roughly $2-3K more per seat than merely switching over to Windows.
So I end up changing one of my tools...its not the end of the world.

FYI, $3K is roughly enough to pay for add a week in SA, even including the
car/driver/guide to take us all out to Kruger and/or Pilanesberg. Do let me
know just what it is that I'm supposed to be bitter & jealous of.

-hh

-hh

Jul 14, 2016, 12:23:14 AM7/14/16
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 12:02:57 AM UTC-4, Marek Novotny wrote:
> On 2016-07-14, -hh wrote:
> > On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 11:25:18 PM UTC-4, Marek Novotny wrote:
> >>
> >> Oh if that's the case, ...
> >
> > You know its not, as I just reminded you yet again that I run multiple OS's.
>
> Sure you do. You don't live Linux. You don't commit to it. You play with
> it here and there, but you'd break trying to make it your daily driver.
> That's the difference between you and me. I ran Solaris as my ONLY
> system for a long time. There was NOTHING else. I can run Solaris,
> FreeBSD and Linux and NOTHING else and feel right at home. Within a few
> minutes I'll have my scripts, my ports and my desktop just the way I
> like them.

Oh, I used to live & breath & eat the shit ... then I got out of being a programmer
and got a better job. More rewarding, better pay, better hours, etc.

> You're like Snit. Likely running a VM somewhere and you think you know
> the OS. You don't. Switch to it for a solid year with NOTHING else at
> all to fall back on. Then you will learn this OS.

Fuck no. I make the machines work for me, not vice-versa.

> >> I know I've been close to throwing my laptop threw a window a couple
> >> times.
> >
> > That Dell 15" XPS 9550 that you just "Vented" about on 6 July.
>
> No, I have a 2011 MacBook Pro. I bought that Dell hoping to replace that
> MacBook with the Dell. The whole reason I bought it was to run Adobe's
> suite. And the fucking piece of shit Windows 10 crashes left and right
> on it. Now, I ran Ubuntu 15.10 and 16.04 on that same machine and it was
> rock solid. It's not the hardware. It's Windows 10 and the nVidia GPU
> driver, plus some bullshit bugs in Adobe's crapware. My only complaint
> with Dell is that their keyboard sucks ass. It's way too shallow. They
> followed those fucking retards at Apple with shit keyboard ideas instead
> of focusing on comfort.

Yet you knew that Thinkpads were better for your interests and bought a
Dell anyway. You're your own worst enemy...and you try to blame others.
Plus as a production-centric machine, you should have chosen Win7. Fool.

> >> I sink over $3,000 into it though... I like a nice ThinkPad.
> >
> > Too much for that Dell - - you got ripped off. For $3K you could have
> > easily bought a decent ThinkPad. I've had better success with Thinkpads
> > than any of the Dells or their ilk...although i do have to admit that I'm down
> > to my last genuine IBM keyboard on the one X series docking station.
>
> No, the Dell was half of that. The MacBook was about $2400 if I remember
> correctly, but when I bought it I added a $1,199 480 GB SSD. That's how
> much they cost back then for that size.

Oh, I remember: the first SSD laptop that I had was a 2009 Thinkpad.

> It's a Mercury Pro from OWC. And
> that piece of shit runs on the SandForce controller which at that time
> is also a piece of shit. Plus Apple back then wouldn't support trim for
> anything you put into the Mac. Another bullshit lock in by the dickheads
> at Apple at the time.

All of which was known by any early adopter doing his research. You
probably shouldn't have gone cheap and bought the Intel SSD...X-something?
(I forget).

> > Or you could be halfway to buying a new Canon EF 400mm f/4L DO IS lens,
> > for which one's desktop is merely a _peripheral_ to your workflow.
>
> Snapping photos ain't my thing. I do appreciate art though. So if you
> got an eye for that and can shoot something compelling, I'd be
> interested in it. I like art. But my employer and clients are doing
> their best to make sure I hate art. I have to deal with so many people
> that lack talent.

To each their own, which is also why I consider my one desktop production
machines to be a "peripheral" ... to the needs of the cameras. Unfortunately,
the only thing that Linux does well there vs the competition is to be a robust
file server for the end product data, although that market has evolved to be
less only-DIY and more options to just buy a turnkey appliance.

-hh

Snit

Jul 14, 2016, 12:30:43 AM7/14/16
On 7/13/16, 9:23 PM, in article
efeacf61-837a-4523...@googlegroups.com, "-hh"
<recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 12:02:57 AM UTC-4, Marek Novotny wrote:

>>> You know its not, as I just reminded you yet again that I run multiple OS's.
>>>
>> Sure you do. You don't live Linux. You don't commit to it. You play with it
>> here and there, but you'd break trying to make it your daily driver. That's
>> the difference between you and me. I ran Solaris as my ONLY system for a long
>> time. There was NOTHING else. I can run Solaris, FreeBSD and Linux and
>> NOTHING else and feel right at home. Within a few minutes I'll have my
>> scripts, my ports and my desktop just the way I like them.
>>
> Oh, I used to live & breath & eat the shit ... then I got out of being a
> programmer and got a better job. More rewarding, better pay, better hours,
> etc.

Marek just described what it takes to be in an OS cult. It is sickness.

>> You're like Snit. Likely running a VM somewhere and you think you know
>> the OS. You don't. Switch to it for a solid year with NOTHING else at
>> all to fall back on. Then you will learn this OS.
>
> Fuck no. I make the machines work for me, not vice-versa.

EXACTLY! Best tool for the job and know different tools!

Snit

Jul 14, 2016, 12:30:53 AM7/14/16
On 7/13/16, 9:02 PM, in article
waCdnaiSfaN3kxrK...@giganews.com, "Marek Novotny"
<marek....@marspolar.com> wrote:

> On 2016-07-14, -hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 11:25:18 PM UTC-4, Marek Novotny wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh if that's the case, ...
>>
>> You know its not, as I just reminded you yet again that I run multiple OS's.
>
> Sure you do. You don't live Linux. You don't commit to it.

THIS. This right here. This is what is wrong with the herd.

Using Linux is not enough for them.
Liking Linux is not enough for them.
Thinking Linux is world changing - in a good way - is not enough for them.

You have to commit to it. Live it. You have to worship Linux.

Thank you, Marek, for admitting how cult-like the "advocates" are.

> You're like Snit. Likely running a VM somewhere and you think you know the OS.

And here you are speaking for me. Please note your claim is NOT anything I
ever said.

> You don't. Switch to it for a solid year with NOTHING else at all to fall back
> on. Then you will learn this OS.

Not even most of the COLA herd do that... nor should they. If you want to
know an OS there is benefit in knowing the competition.

You, clearly, do not.

>>> I know I've been close to throwing my laptop threw a window a couple
>>> times.
>>
>> That Dell 15" XPS 9550 that you just "Vented" about on 6 July.
>
> No, I have a 2011 MacBook Pro. I bought that Dell hoping to replace that
> MacBook with the Dell. The whole reason I bought it was to run Adobe's
> suite. And the fucking piece of shit Windows 10 crashes left and right
> on it.

But you never troubleshot to find out why. Keep in mind that is not the
norm... so assuming you are telling the truth there is something wrong with
YOUR system. What?

> Now, I ran Ubuntu 15.10 and 16.04 on that same machine and it was rock solid.
> It's not the hardware. It's Windows 10 and the nVidia GPU driver, plus some
> bullshit bugs in Adobe's crapware. My only complaint with Dell is that their
> keyboard sucks ass. It's way too shallow. They followed those fucking retards
> at Apple with shit keyboard ideas instead of focusing on comfort.

And here you show you cannot see past your own nose. Wow.

>> Or you could be halfway to buying a new Canon EF 400mm f/4L DO IS lens,
>> for which one's desktop is merely a _peripheral_ to your workflow.
>
> Snapping photos ain't my thing. I do appreciate art though.

Let me guess: ASCII art and nothing more. LOL!

> So if you got an eye for that and can shoot something compelling, I'd be
> interested in it. I like art. But my employer and clients are doing their best
> to make sure I hate art. I have to deal with so many people that lack talent.

Birds of a feather ...

Marek Novotny

Jul 14, 2016, 12:30:56 AM7/14/16
On 2016-07-14, -hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
> Marek Novotny wrote:
>> -hh wrote:

>> > Sorry, but the Mac too is just yet another tool in the toolbox...try unloading
>> > your personal emotional baggage elsewhere.
>>
>> Nope, no way loser. If that were true you'd not even be here at all. The
>> fact is you are here. And that alone tells us something about you.
>> You're a koolaid drinking loser hanging out in a Linux group. Not only
>> do you give a shit, it's a religion to you. I have absolutely NO doubt
>> you're one of those idiots that waits in line to buy "whatever" they
>> announce. No matter what it is. You don't like what you have become,
>> which is why you won't openly state what a crazed fan-boi you are. But
>> make no mistake, YOU ARE. You can't leave this group. You're way too
>> invested in it. Just another tool my ass.
>
> Golly, such a fanboy that even a simple search here in COLA will reveal
> that I've described the current Mac Pro by the endearing term of "trash can".

I don't bother with searching in news groups. And anyone who saves past
articles to throw them back in the faces of their foe is way too
invested in my opinion. As soon as I see that, they're pretty much a
loser in my book right there. They give a shit way too much at that
point.

I do agree, it is a trash can. Look at the current price. Look at the
LAME ASS video cards in the current machine. Who the hell is buying that
piece of crap? Seriously? They don't report the sales of that SKU. I
don't know if you knew that. That's another iTard secret. That's how
embarrassed Apple is over that small stack of shit. Head on over to
Dell's site, click up the Precision line, and build something truly
powerful.

> And when I say tool, I mean it. You can go find where I've already mentioned
> this on other discussion forums, but I'm looking at the replacement for my
> Mac Pro desktop and have pretty much concluded that neither the iMac nor
> the Mac Pro "trashcan" are well suited for that hardware system's primary
> workflow requirements, so I've already started to work on transitioning
> that capability over onto a Windows tower.

That doesn't explain why you're here. You're not a Linux user. You might
be one of those people that doesn't quite like Apple or Windows, and may
have hoped Linux would do it for you. There are a lot of people like
that. Linux is for those that like and want a UNIX like operating
system. It's not Windows. It's not trying to be Windows.

Now, I do agree with you here. I too would like to transition away from
anything Apple. But Microsoft can't make a damn OS to save their lives.
I'm not joking. I really do have a Dell 15" 9550. I wrote and posted my
Linfo results on it. I posted about how I dealt with Linux on it. I
spent my money to make it run nicely. It's got 32 GBs of RAM and the
fastest PCIe SSD money can buy for it. But no joke, the piece of shit
crashes roughly twice a day when running Adobe's suite on it. I've
updated everything. The BIOS, the GPU drivers, both nVidia and Intel.
All the device drivers are checked.

These so called, professional companies can't get their act together.

I also recently acquired a Dell 8" Venue Pro 5830 tablet. Again,
Windows 10 on this thing is a fucking nightmare. Today I gave up on it.
It's now off and not being used. I'll fire it up again after the August
updates and reassess the situation. But I am not at all impressed with
Windows. Nor does this lead me in any way to want to invest in a new
desktop running Windows. It's a crapshoot. It's just not dependable. I'd
rather spend my time working out a pipeline that runs well on Linux and
then building that for the speed I need.

> True, I could force-fit it into the Trash Can and make it work, but it would
> cost roughly $2-3K more per seat than merely switching over to Windows.
> So I end up changing one of my tools...its not the end of the world.

I don't think I can do another few years an Crapple. That platform is
driving me insane.

> FYI, $3K is roughly enough to pay for add a week in SA, even including the
> car/driver/guide to take us all out to Kruger and/or Pilanesberg. Do let me
> know just what it is that I'm supposed to be bitter & jealous of.

Probably that Linux does fit your needs and you wish it did, cause the
other two solutions aren't blowing wind up your skirt. I've seen it
before.

Marek Novotny

Jul 14, 2016, 12:44:47 AM7/14/16
On 2016-07-14, -hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
Yes and no. I have had a T450, which doesn't have a display for dealing
with art. For running Adobe's apps, I actually wanted that infinity
display. The ThinkPad is a good all around business class laptop.

Now with the ThinkPad P70, yeah I'd agree. Had I seen something like
that I would have gone that route. But that I didn't see until recently.
Had I had to do it over again, I would have opted for the p70.

WinBlows 7 is an option. Right now the bullshit old Mac is still
working. I dropped a Samsung Pro SSD into it. The latest OS is shit,
still. And the new shiny is just more crap added on trying to impress
idiots. It's pretty hopeless. Snow Leopard was the only attempt made to
clean up their sloppy work. It's been nothing but downhill since.

>> > Too much for that Dell - - you got ripped off. For $3K you could have
>> > easily bought a decent ThinkPad. I've had better success with Thinkpads
>> > than any of the Dells or their ilk...although i do have to admit that I'm down
>> > to my last genuine IBM keyboard on the one X series docking station.
>>
>> No, the Dell was half of that. The MacBook was about $2400 if I remember
>> correctly, but when I bought it I added a $1,199 480 GB SSD. That's how
>> much they cost back then for that size.
>
> Oh, I remember: the first SSD laptop that I had was a 2009 Thinkpad.
>
>> It's a Mercury Pro from OWC. And
>> that piece of shit runs on the SandForce controller which at that time
>> is also a piece of shit. Plus Apple back then wouldn't support trim for
>> anything you put into the Mac. Another bullshit lock in by the dickheads
>> at Apple at the time.
>
> All of which was known by any early adopter doing his research. You
> probably shouldn't have gone cheap and bought the Intel SSD...X-something?
> (I forget).

Sadly, I will agree with you here. I was warned. I didn't listen. And I
got burned.

>> > Or you could be halfway to buying a new Canon EF 400mm f/4L DO IS lens,
>> > for which one's desktop is merely a _peripheral_ to your workflow.
>>
>> Snapping photos ain't my thing. I do appreciate art though. So if you
>> got an eye for that and can shoot something compelling, I'd be
>> interested in it. I like art. But my employer and clients are doing
>> their best to make sure I hate art. I have to deal with so many people
>> that lack talent.
>
> To each their own, which is also why I consider my one desktop production
> machines to be a "peripheral" ... to the needs of the cameras. Unfortunately,
> the only thing that Linux does well there vs the competition is to be a robust
> file server for the end product data, although that market has evolved to be
> less only-DIY and more options to just buy a turnkey appliance.

I'd say if all need a small file server for your photos and files, buy
or build a FreeNAS. Out of the box it is easy to connect and share with
Mac, Linux or Windows clients and yo get the advantages of ZFS. It's
about $2,500 well configured. And it sure beats the snot out of some
crap from Synology.

I'm into hardware myself. So Linux fits me well. I'm no photographer.
But I will opine that if you get Adobe running well on the PC, I prefer
it to the Mac. The Mac is shit in my book. It is the worst of all the
offerings.

Chris Ahlstrom

Jul 14, 2016, 5:38:23 AM7/14/16
Marek Novotny wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2016-07-13, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>
>> <ye gods, do you really care what the DFS shithead thinks?
>> he's a freakin' k00k!>
>>
>> Debian: http://forums.debian.net/

That's my current (and long-time) favorite, in it's "unstable" version.

What does "unstable" mean for Debian? Simply that packages are in
relatively new versions and tend to be updated frequently. You have
to be careful sometimes about allowing an update. But aptitude, my
favorite apt-get front-end, provides warnings about issues, and a list of
potential solutions. You don't like 'em? Wait a day or two and update
again.

Windows has nothing like it. It's also "unstable", but you have essentially
no control over it except to reject some of the updates.

--
FORTUNE PROVIDES QUESTIONS FOR THE GREAT ANSWERS: #13
A: Doc, Happy, Bashful, Dopey, Sneezy, Sleepy, & Grumpy

-hh

Jul 14, 2016, 7:18:36 AM7/14/16
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 12:30:56 AM UTC-4, Marek Novotny wrote:
> -hh wrote:
> > Marek Novotny wrote:

> >> Nope, no way loser. If that were true you'd not even be here at all. The
> >> fact is you are here. And that alone tells us something about you.
> >> You're a koolaid drinking loser hanging out in a Linux group. Not only
> >> do you give a shit, it's a religion to you. I have absolutely NO doubt
> >> you're one of those idiots that waits in line to buy "whatever" they
> >> announce. No matter what it is. You don't like what you have become,
> >> which is why you won't openly state what a crazed fan-boi you are. But
> >> make no mistake, YOU ARE. You can't leave this group. You're way too
> >> invested in it. Just another tool my ass.
> >
> > Golly, such a fanboy that even a simple search here in COLA will reveal
> > that I've described the current Mac Pro by the endearing term of "trash can".
>
> I don't bother with searching in news groups.

Not what was being said. What was being said was that the historical
record tells a different story than what you've assumed & accused.

What that means is that if you don't recall, don't assume: go check.

> I do agree, it is a trash can. Look at the current price. Look at the
> LAME ASS video cards in the current machine. Who the hell is buying that
> piece of crap? Seriously?

Actually, I did that assessment when it first came out in 2013 and
concluded that it wasn't a good set of hardware for my use case needs
from the start.

> They don't report the sales of that SKU. I don't know if you knew that.

FYI, the historical record tells a different story than what you've assumed.
Once again, what that means is that if you don't recall, don't be so lazy
and assume: go check.

> Head on over to Dell's site, click up the Precision line, and build something
> truly powerful.

I'll benchmark off of Dell, but I probably won't be buying their hardware: I've
had (& seen) too many problems with Dell over the years to not also consider
the other OEMs. Its subject to the full assessment, but I'm leaning towards HP.

> > And when I say tool, I mean it. You can go find where I've already mentioned
> > this on other discussion forums, but I'm looking at the replacement for my
> > Mac Pro desktop and have pretty much concluded that neither the iMac nor
> > the Mac Pro "trashcan" are well suited for that hardware system's primary
> > workflow requirements, so I've already started to work on transitioning
> > that capability over onto a Windows tower.
>
> That doesn't explain why you're here. You're not a Linux user.

You keep trying to claim that even though it isn't true. And you know that it isn't true.

> You might be one of those people that doesn't quite like Apple or Windows,
> and may have hoped Linux would do it for you. There are a lot of people like
> that. Linux is for those that like and want a UNIX like operating
> system. It's not Windows. It's not trying to be Windows.

They're just tools and as such, they're all always subject to review for optimization.

The same with everything else in life, even if your emotional baggage makes
you irrationally attached to some pet rock that isn't fawned over by others.
So stop trying to take it as a personal affront that someone has come to a
different conclusion than you have, particularly since you also know that the
use case workflows are different.

> Now, I do agree with you here. I too would like to transition away from
> anything Apple. But Microsoft can't make a damn OS to save their lives.

Except that I didn't say "anything Apple": its just one major workflow that
I'm seeing where Apple isn't the best tool in the toolbox, which is what I'm
looking at changing out to a different tool.

Since I'm already running multiple OSs for different needs, its not like OS X
is going to be completely thrown away just because it just can't do one of
the jobs assigned to it. In fact, if you're going to follow that paradigm, the
OS that's most on the bubble for being tossed completely, it would logically
have to be the one which contributes to the least number of my workflows.
That's not OS X, but is Linux.

> These so called, professional companies can't get their act together.

Sorry, but they don't exist just exclusively for your workflow needs.

Nor mine, either: that's why we're obligated to objectively assess them
each for our individual priorities and then choose the best for us compromise.
Its nothing personal - its business, and the only way that that's likely to
change is if my own businesses grow to become a significantly large part
of the overall market that I can personally influence the market...but given
the current state of the market, that would mean that I'd need to be making
capital purchases on the order of, oh, probably ~$25B per quarter.

> > True, I could force-fit it into the Trash Can and make it work, but it would
> > cost roughly $2-3K more per seat than merely switching over to Windows.
> > So I end up changing one of my tools...its not the end of the world.
>
> I don't think I can do another few years an Crapple. That platform is
> driving me insane.

As I've already suggested to you, consider subcontracting out that part of
your business that you find so loathingly distasteful. Have you done anything
about that yet? Other than to merely complain some more...

> > FYI, $3K is roughly enough to pay for add a week in SA, even including the
> > car/driver/guide to take us all out to Kruger and/or Pilanesberg. Do let me
> > know just what it is that I'm supposed to be bitter & jealous of.
>
> Probably that Linux does fit your needs and you wish it did, cause the
> other two solutions aren't blowing wind up your skirt. I've seen it
> before.

No, I've checked. Repeatedly. The Linux platform lacks the relevant tools
for my use case workflow needs and I'm not about to go write the Apps that
my workflows need on my own: I'll continue to work with the off-the-shelf
80% solutions available on other platforms because that then buys me the time
to spend doing what I enjoy more, which isn't tinkering inside on a digital box,
but to be out traveling with my cameras, such as to places like Kruger.

-hh
It is loading more messages.