java.rmi.MarshalException: CORBA MARSHAL 0[]

Lucian Ion

Mar 19, 2002, 8:10:03 AM3/19/02
I'm using VisiBroker for Java 4.5 with j2skd1.3.0. When I try to call a
remote method returning a Vector ,
org.omg.CORBA_2_3.portable.OutputStream::write_value() that gets called
inside the implementation base ( RemoteInterfaceNamePOA) throws a
java.rmi.MarshalException: CORBA MARSHAL 0[] which is then received by the
client. The stack is at the end. I'm running both the server and the client
using vbj so I suppose I'm not by mistake using jdk instead of vbjorb.jar.
Stub, skeleton, helper etc are generated with java2iiop from a java
interface extending java.rmi.Remote. The call works fine for other return
types. The Visibroker's release notes say that it's been tested with
jdk1.1.8, 1.2.2 and 1.3.0. I tried to use it with 1.4 but it can't find
jvm.dll in the /jre/bin/classic or hotspot directory. jdk1.4 has the dirs
client and server instead. Should I try renaming one of them to classic?
I've seen this marshaling problem described in tons of other posts, just
never
seen a clear answer to it and no workaround has been good for me.

Thanks in advance,
Lucian

Exception in thread "main" java.rmi.MarshalException: CORBA MARSHAL 0[]
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Native Method)
at
com.inprise.vbroker.rmi.CORBA.UtilImpl.newInstance(UtilImpl.java:99)
at
com.inprise.vbroker.rmi.CORBA.UtilImpl._mapSystemException(UtilImpl.java:368
)
at
com.inprise.vbroker.rmi.CORBA.UtilImpl.mapSystemException(UtilImpl.java:572)
at javax.rmi.CORBA.Util.mapSystemException(Util.java:67)
at
business._CUserBusinessInterface_Stub.RetrieveOwnAddresses_CUserBusinessInte
rface_Stub.java:556)
at FirstGUI.MeineFrame.meineInitComponents(MeineFrame.java:136)
at FirstGUI.MeineFrame.<init>(MeineFrame.java:149)
at FirstGUI.MeineFrame.main(MeineFrame.java:556)

LL

Mar 19, 2002, 10:13:14 PM3/19/02
This shows that the data you are putting in the vector does not implement
java.io.Serializable interface.

Hope this helps
LL

Lucian Ion

Mar 20, 2002, 4:39:02 AM3/20/02

"LL" <luzul...@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message

> This shows that the data you are putting in the vector does not implement
> java.io.Serializable interface.

That was it, it's working now. Although it looks obvious, I wouldn't have
figured it out myself in years :)

Thank you very much for your help
Lucian