greet_pause issue?

Knute Johnson

Aug 3, 2017, 11:42:01 AM8/3/17
In my sendmail.mc file I have the line:
FEATURE(`greet_pause', `1000')dnl 1 seconds

In my access file I have the line:
GreetPause: 5000

The actual delay when connecting from an address not listed anywhere
else in /etc/mail/access is 1 second. If I specify the address and
connect from that address the delay is the specified time.

Does the generic GreetPause: statement in access get overridden by the
time specified in the sendmail.mc FEATURE statement?

Should I change the time in the sendmail.mc to the largest desired delay
and specify shorter ones in /etc/mail/access?

Sendmail version 8.14.4 running on a RaspberryPi with a current Debian
Jessie.

Thanks,

knute...

Claus Aßmann

Aug 3, 2017, 12:08:41 PM8/3/17
Knute Johnson wrote:

> In my access file I have the line:
> GreetPause: 5000

Why do you think this would be used?

cf/README:
If FEATURE(`access_db') is enabled, an access database
lookup with the GreetPause tag is done using client
hostname, domain, IP address, or subnet to determine the
pause time:

It doesn't say that it would look up a "default" value with just
the tag... after all, you specified the default value in the feature
already so doing it again in the access map doesn't make much sense.

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous

Knute Johnson

Aug 3, 2017, 12:43:59 PM8/3/17
On 8/3/2017 11:08 AM, Claus Aßmann wrote:
> Knute Johnson wrote:
>
>> In my access file I have the line:
>> GreetPause: 5000
>
> Why do you think this would be used?
>
> cf/README:
> If FEATURE(`access_db') is enabled, an access database
> lookup with the GreetPause tag is done using client
> hostname, domain, IP address, or subnet to determine the
> pause time:
>
> It doesn't say that it would look up a "default" value with just
> the tag... after all, you specified the default value in the feature
> already so doing it again in the access map doesn't make much sense.

The "default" value with just the tag was in the access file from the
install as was the FEATURE line in sendmail.mc. I'm assuming that was
the packager's choice but since it doesn't do anything I'm not sure why
it's there other than to confuse me.

Thanks!

knute...

Claus Aßmann

Aug 3, 2017, 1:10:45 PM8/3/17
Knute Johnson wrote:

> >> GreetPause: 5000

> The "default" value with just the tag was in the access file from the
> install as was the FEATURE line in sendmail.mc. I'm assuming that was
> the packager's choice but since it doesn't do anything I'm not sure why

Can you ask the "packager" to remove that access map entry?

Thanks.