550 5.7.1 Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed

Newbie

Apr 24, 2003, 3:28:20 PM4/24/03
I'm a newbie so please have a little mercy on me with this question.

I just configured sendmail and I have a problem sending out emails. I
can receive them just fine but when I send them I get the following
error message:

'em...@ddress.com' on 4/24/2003 3:16 PM
550 5.7.1 <em...@ddress.com>... Relaying denied. IP name
lookup failed [192.168.x.x]

If I were to use an SMTP server from my ISP then all works fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

James

Jesper K. Pedersen

Apr 24, 2003, 4:43:20 PM4/24/03

You arent doing anything wrong - per say. The problem is probably that you are trying to send mail from an ip that is not allowed to deliver email to the destination server. Many dialup/xDSL lines without a true MX record are not allowed to deliver mail to many servers.

What I would suggest you do is have your sendmail forward all email through your ISP's SMTP server. You can achieve this by adding a line to your sendmail.mc.

define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp:smtp.isp_server.com')

This should fix your problem.

Best regards,
Jesper K. Pedersen

Andrzej Filip

Apr 24, 2003, 3:50:32 PM4/24/03

Add DNS entry for x.x.168.192.in-addr.arpa (PTR record)
OR
Add entry for 192.168.x.x in /etc/hosts on host running sendmail

http://www.sendmail.org/tips/private-dns/
Set up DNS for your private address space

--
Andrzej [pl>en: Andrew] Adam Filip http://www.polbox.com/a/anfi/
*Random epigram* :

Sebastian Jaenicke

Apr 24, 2003, 5:10:24 PM4/24/03
* Jesper K Pedersen <j...@solnet-data.dk> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:28:20 GMT
> j...@m.es (Newbie) wrote:

[..]

> > The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
> >
> > 'em...@ddress.com' on 4/24/2003 3:16 PM
> > 550 5.7.1 <em...@ddress.com>... Relaying denied. IP name
> > lookup failed [192.168.x.x]

[..]

> You arent doing anything wrong - per say. The problem is probably that you are trying to send mail from an ip that is not allowed to deliver email to the destination server. Many dialup/xDSL lines without a true MX record are not allowed to deliver mail to many servers.
>
> What I would suggest you do is have your sendmail forward all email through your ISP's SMTP server. You can achieve this by adding a line to your sendmail.mc.

This is just plain wrong. Your sendmail server rejects mail from your
client because it can't resolve the client's IP address to a name.
Add the client to your DNS server so sendmail can resolve it and
everything should be fine. (You did put the appropriate IP addresses
that sendmail should relay for in your access file, didn't you?)

- Sebastian

--
Sebastian Jaenicke Disce aut discede!
whois pgpkey-18AC0BE4 -h whois.ripe.net|perl -ne's-^certif: +--&&print'

Newbie

Apr 24, 2003, 6:23:47 PM4/24/03
Sebastian,

How do I put the appropriate IP addresses that sendmail should relay
for me in my access file? I think that's exactly what I need to do.
I have the O'reilly book for Sendmail but it doesn't mention it
here....at least I can't find where.

I know this is my problem because I just removed sendmail and
installed Exim and during the config it asked me about the relay
addresses. I input them and all worked well. The config for sendmail
does not ask me about the relay addresses. I am using a Debian
distribution of Linux. Don't know if that has anything to do with it
or not. I used Debian's distribution of Sendmail. I did not compile
it myself.

Any idea how I can add my add the addresses to the access file?

To all who have replied so far to help me.....THANK YOU!!!

James

Daniel B

Apr 25, 2003, 3:12:33 AM4/25/03

Newbie,

sendmail must identify your client PC as part of your domain. Put the
following line in /etc/hosts:

x.x.x.x mypc.mydomain.com

where x.x.x.x is the IP address of your client PC and mydomain.com is the
name of your linux server.

Sendmail trusts the information in /etc/hosts, even if the clients in your
subnet have totally different names on the outside.

/etc/hosts is sort of a mini-DNS. Later on, you could use your own DNS
daemon for this, but then you are in a whole new ball game...

Daniel