Redirecting spam

James H. Markowitz

Nov 10, 2017, 10:27:42 AM11/10/17
Here is my problem:

I run milter-regex in conjunction with my sendmail server. This
works quite well, in that hardly any spam is ever delivered to my users,
the milter-regex component just rejecting the spam as it is received.

Would it be possible, instead of rejecting such spam, to forward
it to a different email address? I guess this is more a milter-regex,
than sendmail, question, but I thought somebody in this forum might have
the necessary expertise anyway.

Claus Aßmann

Nov 10, 2017, 12:42:35 PM11/10/17
James H. Markowitz wrote:

> Would it be possible, instead of rejecting such spam, to forward
> it to a different email address? I guess this is more a milter-regex,

The milter API allows to add and delete recipients, hence a milter
can "redirect" mails. Check the milter-regex docs to see if it
offers that capability.

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous

Piotr Lechowicz

Nov 15, 2017, 4:28:25 AM11/15/17
W dniu 2017-11-10 o 16:27, James H. Markowitz pisze:
I have not personally used this, but milter-regex documentation says about "quarantine" command:

quarantine <message>
Subsequent matching rules cause the mail to be quarantined in
sendmail(8).

According to Sendmail docs:
Messages quarantined are stored in the sendmail queue (mqueue),
but are not run on normal queue displays or runs unless specifically requested with -qQ
Quarantined queue files are named with an hf prefix instead of a qf prefix.
Restricted mail queue runs and displays can be done based on the quarantined reason using -qQtext.

It seems that it may be not so difficult to process quarantined messages on basis of custom script using file name prefix hf and/or quarantine reason (milter-regex message configured for quarantine action).
Or [my supposition, not knowledge] may sandmail configuration allow storing quarantined messages in dedicated queue with option of processing them with custom mailer?

Piotr

Claus Aßmann

Nov 15, 2017, 4:12:58 PM11/15/17
Piotr Lechowicz wrote:

> Or [my supposition, not knowledge] may sandmail configuration allow storing quarantined
^e
> messages in dedicated queue with option of processing them with custom mailer?

The doc doesn't say that, so it's most likely not possible.