Protected recipients...

Grant Taylor

Feb 13, 2018, 6:42:10 PM2/13/18
Is there a way to configure Sendmail to protect specific email addresses?

I have seen references to "protected recipients" over the years, but it
seems to rely on Class W and (I think) rejecting messages to the
protected recipients that are from senders outside of Class W.

Is there a way in Sendmail (preferably without custom rule sets) to
allow sen...@example.com to email reci...@example.net while blocking
everybody else? Preferably where blocking means rejecting with a custom
SMTP message, ala, error:5.7.1:550 You are not allowed to email the
recipient.

Or is this verging on the territory of needing a milter?

If this does need a milter, do you have any recommendations? My default
would be to finally get around to looking at MIMEdefang.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Claus Aßmann

Feb 13, 2018, 8:46:15 PM2/13/18
Grant Taylor wrote:
> Is there a way to configure Sendmail to protect specific email addresses?

Of course.

> I have seen references to "protected recipients" over the years, but it
> seems to rely on Class W and (I think) rejecting messages to the

class w, not W.

> protected recipients that are from senders outside of Class W.

That should be trivial to change...

> Is there a way in Sendmail (preferably without custom rule sets) to

What's wrong with "custom rules"?
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html

> Or is this verging on the territory of needing a milter?

If you don't want custom rules then you probably need a milter.

Grant Taylor

Feb 13, 2018, 10:45:22 PM2/13/18
On 02/13/2018 06:46 PM, Claus Aßmann wrote:
> Of course.

I would have been surprised if you said otherwise.

> class w, not W.

*nod*

I was going from memory. Case is important.

> That should be trivial to change...

Okay.

> What's wrong with "custom rules"?

Nothing in principal.

In a word, "ignorance" as in mine there of.

> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html

Thank you for a pointer. I probably glanced at that sometime in the
last 17 years. - I'll give it another, thorough read.

> If you don't want custom rules then you probably need a milter.

If the rules can be integrated as a FEATURE(`…') or a HACK(`…'), then
I'll probably go that route.

Thank you Claus.