Incoming email throttling

sage254

Feb 23, 2018, 10:23:40 AM2/23/18
In our large organization we have a sendmail relay server that receives a large number of email messages from various clients. Sometimes some automated process on some box might go crazy and send an outrageous amount of emails in a very short period of time(due to misconfigured or failed crontab for example). We are looking for a way to throttle incoming connections per certain time limit based on either

a. Sending host
b. Sending user
c. Receiving host
d. Receiving user
e. Any combination of the above

Is there any facility in sendmail that I can use that can accomplish that?

Thank you!

Claus Aßmann

Feb 23, 2018, 12:00:25 PM2/23/18
Please take a look at cf/README:

+--------------------+
| CONNECTION CONTROL |
+--------------------+

The features ratecontrol and conncontrol allow to establish connection
limits per client IP address or net. These features can limit the
rate of connections (connections per time unit) or the number of
incoming SMTP connections, respectively. If enabled, appropriate

sage254

Feb 24, 2018, 12:56:53 AM2/24/18
Thank you. I found it very useful. Would you be able to tell me if by any chance sendmail has a capability of rate control based on sender or recipient addresses?

Claus Aßmann

Feb 24, 2018, 7:09:58 AM2/24/18
sage254 wrote:
> Thank you. I found it very useful. Would you be able to tell me if by any chance sendmail has a capability of
> rate control based on sender or recipient addresses?

It's not a "builtin" feature, but you might be able to write some
rules; however, a milter might be better suited to do this (try to
search for one that supports it).