"Cannot exec /usr/libexec/mail.local" - Help needed

HL1234

May 2, 2017, 9:39:28 AM5/2/17
Hello,
I has looking for a forum of sendmail but has only found this user group.
So, I thing this is my first time I posting here ;)

I'm running a FreeBSD server system but have sendmail-8.15.2 installed from the ports. In addition I have rebuild the OS without sendmail, which is normally integrated into FreeBSD. sendmail is running fine for my defined users, but I got know an error I do not understand what service create it and why? sm-mta means sendmail - but sendmail is running and on my home-email-client I can send and receive emails.

The error message is:
"sm-mta[xxxxx]: v123456789: SYSERR(root): Cannot exec /usr/libexec/mail.local: No such file or directory"

The message is true:
# ll /usr/libexec/mail.local
ls: cannot access /usr/libexec/mail.local: No such file or directory
but
# ll /usr/local/libexec/mail.local
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 80304 Apr. 20 17:05 /usr/local/libexec/mail.local
there it is: mail.local

So it seems that something point to the wrong directory. But I set the right directories for sendmail in /etc/mail/mailer.conf

sendmail /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
send-mail /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
mailq /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
newaliases /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
hoststat /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
purgestat /usr/local/sbin/sendmail

I have not find where the error is came from. Can anybody help me or know what there is missing or what should I do to correct it?

Thanks a lot - Harald

Claus Aßmann

May 2, 2017, 11:15:27 AM5/2/17
HL1234 wrote:

> "sm-mta[xxxxx]: v123456789: SYSERR(root): Cannot exec /usr/libexec/mail.local: No such file
> or directory"

> The message is true:
> # ll /usr/libexec/mail.local
> ls: cannot access /usr/libexec/mail.local: No such file or directory

> So it seems that something point to the wrong directory. But I set the right directories for
> sendmail in /etc/mail/mailer.conf

What does that have to do with /usr/libexec/mail.local?
It's not listed at all in that file.

> I have not find where the error is came from. Can anybody help me or know what there is
> missing or what should I do to correct it?

Take a look at your sendmail.cf file and then fix the problem in
the .mc file, install the new cf, restart sendmail, ...
(see the FreeBSD docs for your local setup).

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous