What default character set does sendmail use in the absence of a specific value?

Mike B

Jun 1, 2016, 6:03:51 PM6/1/16
As per https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/sendmail,+4th+Edition/9780596510299/ch24s09s31.html, I'm aware that sendmail has the option to define a default character set in scenarios where one is not explicitly defined. This is done via the "DefaultCharSet" option. I also see a note in the article that states:

If the DefaultCharSet option is undefined, dfltchset defaults to the string unknown-8bit. The default for the mc technique is to omit this option.

So, just to confirm, that means that means that sendmail, quite literally, sets a printed value of Content-Type: text/plain; charset=unknown-8bit?

Claus Aßmann

Jun 1, 2016, 10:35:03 PM6/1/16
Mike B wrote:

> So, just to confirm, that means that means that sendmail, quite literally, sets a printed value of Content-Type:
> text/plain; charset=unknown-8bit?

That shouldn't be to hard to test by sending an appropriate mail, right?

** The first choice for character set is for the mailer
** corresponding to the envelope sender. If neither that
** nor the global configuration file has a default character
** set defined, return "unknown-8bit" as recommended by
** RFC 1428 section 3.

Give it a try and let us know what you find.

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous