Seeing "probable open proxy: command=GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.0\r\n" messages in my mail log. Why now?

markr...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2016, 11:49:54 PM4/14/16
I'm suddenly seeing "probable open proxy: command=GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.0\r\n" messages in my mail log, from China. Anyone else notice this? Sendmail blocks these stupid attacks, but they don't stop, from multiple ip addresses! Why keep attacking, if they aren't getting anywhere? I've added them to my fail2ban filters, so as to block them. I hate being attacked, even if it not successful. :)