Gmail overwriting Message-Id header

p.ka...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2015, 3:23:22 AM2/6/15
Gmail is changing the Message-Id header of mails, while other mail clients/servers are not doing so.
Its retaining the original Message-is Header in X-Google-Original-Message-ID
header.

I dont want gmail to overwrite Message-id. Is it feasible?
If yes, How is it feasible?

Claus Aßmann

Feb 6, 2015, 8:20:04 AM2/6/15
This usenet group is about the sendmail MTA, not about general e-mail
problems.

A more approppriate usenet group for your question is comp.mail.misc,
as sendmail is not involved in this problem.

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous

Ralf Soergel

Feb 6, 2015, 4:44:04 PM2/6/15
p.ka...@gmail.com at Fri, 6 Feb 2015 00:23:20 -0800 (PST) writes:

> I dont want gmail to overwrite Message-id. Is it feasible?

I don't think so. It's a decision of the gmail admins to do so.
If you are gmail's customer, ask them.

Regards, Ralf

--
Linux is like a wigwam: no Windows, no Gates, Apache inside

Thomas Breier

Aug 6, 2015, 2:40:39 PM8/6/15
Actually, GMail seems to only overwrite the Message ID if you submit it in a wrong format. Make sure it is of the form <someID@domain>, don't forget the angular brackets.
Message has been deleted

compl...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2017, 8:44:21 PM11/28/17
Yes, gmail seems to only overwrite the Message ID if you submit it in a wrong format. In our case, we have a space in our message-id for which google pushed it to X-Google-Original-Message-ID. If we remove the space, then it is properly setting Message-ID. Same error occured with @ symbol as well.

From above experiment, we believe google reserved certain characters and hence if they encoutered in Message-ID, it converts it into X-Google-Original-Message-ID. If there is a consolidated list they specifiy somewhere, please let us know.

Grant Taylor

Nov 29, 2017, 10:39:42 PM11/29/17
On 11/28/2017 06:07 PM, direct....@gmail.com wrote:
> Yes, gmail seems to only overwrite the Message ID if you submit it in
> a wrong format. In our case, we have a space in our message-id for which
> google pushed it to X-Google-Original-Message-ID. If we remove the space,
> then it is properly setting Message-ID. Same error occured with @ symbol
> as well.

I'm not surprised that the space caused problems.

Check out § 3.6.4 of RFC 5322, which defines what a Message-ID is
supposed to be. Note that the dot-atom-text (atext defined in § 3.2.3)
does not include a space.

The @ symbol should exist exactly once in the Message-ID.

> From above experiment, we believe google reserved certain characters
> and hence if they encoutered in Message-ID, it converts it into
> X-Google-Original-Message-ID. If there is a consolidated list they
> specifiy somewhere, please let us know.

I would be more apt to suspect that Google is rejecting anything that
does not conform to the well defined Message-ID format (§ 3.6.4 of RFC
5322).

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

nayib....@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2018, 11:02:01 PM8/24/18
Hello Guys,

We are using the Gmail API to send emails on behalf of the users of our App. On the header of the emails we send via the Gmail API, we are setting a custom Message-ID.

Nevertheless Gmail is overwriting the Message-ID we set with a different one . The following are some Message-IDs that we have tried:

<8368110f-6ffc-46f8-8e67-7ebf0e1a1d83@domain>

<4fb7a8b7013099c524f70906e009b46218461fff0b2dc0f8b794eb2df26e93d7@domain>

Any idea why this ID overwriting is happening ?

I would really appreciate any help

Thanks in advance

Joshua Grippo

Aug 26, 2022, 5:33:27 PM8/26/22
Did anyone find a solution? I am using <GUID@Domain>
EX:
<be573f3d-d48c-47a5...@emaildev.backdocket.com>

Ganesh Bhattathiri

Nov 20, 2023, 11:28:24 PM11/20/23
I am facing same issue . Just wanted to know if there is any solution found by anybody. from the looks of it, no, but still trying my luck

Marco Moock

Nov 21, 2023, 3:14:29 AM11/21/23
Am 20.11.2023 um 20:28:21 Uhr schrieb Ganesh Bhattathiri:

> I am facing same issue . Just wanted to know if there is any solution
> found by anybody. from the looks of it, no, but still trying my luck

Does GMail really change the Message-ID when the mail is sent via SMTP?
If not, why don't you use SMTP?