Ports used by sendmail

James H. Markowitz

Aug 20, 2017, 10:04:13 AM8/20/17
Let's assume that we have a sendmail server behind a firewall.
The server has been configured to use SSL/TLS - i.e. it listens on port
465.

In general, should the firewall be configured to allow incoming
connections at port 25 as well, or can that port be just blocked?

Claus Aßmann

Aug 20, 2017, 11:32:13 AM8/20/17
James H. Markowitz wrote:
> Let's assume that we have a sendmail server behind a firewall.
> The server has been configured to use SSL/TLS - i.e. it listens on port
> 465.

Really? Why would you do that?

> In general, should the firewall be configured to allow incoming
> connections at port 25 as well, or can that port be just blocked?

Do you want to receive e-mail via SMTP from others?

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous