Procmail or Spamssassin

steve76

Feb 8, 2018, 3:23:42 AM2/8/18

With my pevious email server, ( Sendmail ) I was using spamassassin, et
procmail. INto messages, that I received, I could see into the header:

HTML_MESSAGE autolearn=ham version=3.3.2

Today, I've got nothing.????

Today, the Email structure has a little bit changed.. I am using an SMTP
relay to receive the email, that I forward to the "real email server"
via the LAN

1) could it be the reason of nothing written ? ( no X-Spam level into
the header....)
2) should it be the smtp relay email which should manage Spamassassin
and procmail ? ( I don't think so.. but now..lost)

Spamasassin seems to work on the email server

3) should it be Procmail, which doesn't do its job ?

( I am a bit lot and confuse now... )

Thanks

Grant Taylor

Feb 8, 2018, 10:30:38 PM2/8/18
On 02/08/2018 01:23 AM, steve76 wrote:
> Today, I've got nothing.????

You can configure Sendmail to interface with SpamAssassin a number of
ways. The two main ways that I'm aware of is via a milter, which
happens during SMTP delivery, and via procmail (or other LDAs), which
happens after Sendmail accepts the message.

I'm used to the milter method being what creates headers like you're
talking about. (Perhaps the procmail method does too and I'm just not
aware of it.)

Most of the SpamAssassin milters that I've used over the years can be
configured to add headers to the message, or to not do so. Perhaps you
need to look into tweaking your milter's config.

> Today, the Email structure has a little bit changed.. I am using an SMTP
> relay to receive the email, that I forward to the "real email server"
> via the LAN
>
> 1) could it be the reason of nothing written ? ( no X-Spam level into
> the header....)

This infrastructure itself should not effect what the milter does.

> 2) should it be the smtp relay email which should manage Spamassassin
> and procmail ? ( I don't think so.. but now..lost)

I would encourage that the SMTP relay run the milter that interfaces
with SpamAssassin (even if SpamAssassin is running on a different
machine). This way the SMTP relay can reject messages that have a high
enough spam threshold.

Running SpamAssassin on the internal mail server means that the scanning
happens /after/ the SMTP relay has accepted responsibility for
delivering the message -or- bouncing the message.

Do you want to be responsible for returning a bounce when you could have
simply rejected the message in the first place? I know that I want to
not do that. I actively avoid situations where I may inadvertently Joe
Job someone.

Procmail is a Local Delivery Agent (LDA). LDAs are used for delivery to
mailboxes, and hardly have anything to do with relaying mail to SMTP
recipients. As such, procmail has very little use on the SMTP relay as
part of said infrastructure. (It might be used to deliver messages to
root (et al) on the SMTP relay, but that's outside of the scope here.)

> Spamasassin seems to work on the email server
>
> 3) should it be Procmail, which doesn't do its job ?

I suggest that you look into tweaking your milter's config.

> ( I am a bit lot and confuse now... )

Hopefully this helps.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

steve76

Feb 11, 2018, 11:34:14 AM2/11/18
hi,

thanks for your reply.. today, I've tried to resolv my Spamassassin pb
with the milter ( and this time, without Procmail )
=> that works... I have installed the spamass-milter that I can see the
email ckeck out with Spamassassin..
Thanks...

Now I need to come back on the SMTP"server, where Opendkim seems not to
work properly.. :-(

Talk to you soon and thanks again for your help
I appreciate sharing, collecting opinions... that helps when you are stuck !

Grant Taylor

Feb 11, 2018, 2:34:27 PM2/11/18
On 02/11/2018 09:34 AM, steve76 wrote:
> hi,

Hi,

> thanks for your reply.. today, I've tried to resolv my Spamassassin pb
> with the milter ( and this time, without Procmail )

You're welcome.

> => that works... I have installed the spamass-milter that I can see the
> email ckeck out with Spamassassin..

Good.

> Thanks...

;-)

> Now I need to come back on the SMTP"server, where Opendkim seems not to
> work properly.. :-(

I've also got OpenDKIM working on my server. I'm running it as a
milter, much like SpamAssassin.

Please provide some more details. I just did a quick search of your
original message (and my reply) and didn't see "dkim" in either of them.
So I need context to be able to comment.

> Talk to you soon and thanks again for your help

*nod*

> I appreciate sharing, collecting opinions... that helps when you are
> stuck !

Indeed.

That's why I try to share, in the hopes that it will help.