Sendmail on Redhat 6.5

jpra....@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2015, 5:47:16 AM4/22/15
Hi, got an issue with a new redhat 6.5 installation we've got. I'm trying to get the mail relay server option to work by specifying my mail relay server with the DS value. I've tried the FQDN, short hostnames, IP addresses, all the previous in square brackets and nothing works. I've got several hundred other servers were this works, but they are all redhat 5.X.

HAs something fundamental changed in sendmail? I really am stuck with this one now :(

Claus Aßmann

Apr 22, 2015, 9:40:03 AM4/22/15
wrote:
> Hi, got an issue with a new redhat 6.5 installation we've got. I'm trying to get the mail
> relay server option to work by specifying my mail relay server with the DS value. I've
> tried the FQDN, short hostnames, IP addresses, all the previous in square brackets and
> nothing works. I've got several hundred other servers were this works, but they are all

"nothing works" is a fairly useless problem description.

Please be specific:
what exactly did you do?
what happened (log entries? verbose mailing?)
what did you expect to happen?

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous

jpra....@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2015, 1:12:42 PM4/22/15
Hi, thanks for replying. By nothing works I meant that everything I tried to change in sendmail.cf had no effect.

I tried specifying for the DS variable:

Fully Qualified Domain Name
[FQDN in square brackets]
IP address
[IP in square brackets]

I've also tried disabling postfix, removing postfix, re-applying sendmail rpms. If I run "telnet smartrelay 25" it works, so comms is fine.

We have about 200 linux boxes on this estate, I also tried using a sendmail.cf from one that works but this also doesn't work.

If I mail root@localhost" it all works as expected.

We have several scripts setup that use the following mail command:

mail -s "Subject" us...@domain.com -c another us...@domain.com -- -f host...@clientsdomain.com

This results in the following being bounced back:

Message 2:
From MAILER...@hostname.blah.blah Tue Apr 21 17:07:58 2015
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 17:07:58 +0100
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER...@hostname.blah.blah>
To: ro...@hostname.blah.blah
Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure)

Part 1:

The original message was received at Tue, 21 Apr 2015 17:05:27 +0100
from root@localhost

-c
(reason: 550 5.1.1 <-...@hostname.blah.blah>... User unknown)
(expanded from: -c)
-f
(reason: 550 5.1.1 <-...@hostname.blah.blah>... User unknown)
(expanded from: -f)

451 remotehost.com: Name server timeout
451 anotherremote.com: Name server timeout
... while talking to [127.0.0.1]:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 5.1.1 <-...@hostname.blah.blah>... User unknown
550 5.1.1 -f... User unknown
<<< 550 5.1.1 <-...@hostname.blah.blah>... User unknown
550 5.1.1 -c... User unknown
451 remotehost.com: Name server timeout
451 anotherremote.com: Name server timeout

Part 2:

Part 3:

From root Tue Apr 21 17:05:27 2015
From: root <root>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 17:05:27 +0100

Any suggestions gratefully received as I'm beginning to loose the will to live with this one...

Carl Byington

Apr 22, 2015, 8:38:41 PM4/22/15

Claus Aßmann

Apr 22, 2015, 9:10:03 PM4/22/15
wrote:

> I tried specifying for the DS variable:

> Fully Qualified Domain Name
> [FQDN in square brackets]
> IP address
> [IP in square brackets]

Please provide real data.

> 451 remotehost.com: Name server timeout
> 451 anotherremote.com: Name server timeout

So now we don't have the slightest idea what relation
Fully Qualified Domain Name
has with
remotehost.com
anotherremote.com

Maybe you should fix DNS?
BTW: if this is sendmail 8.15, you should really read the release
notes -- there is an important change.

And if you want to test your sendmail setup, use sendmail... not some
other command that maybe invokes sendmail with wrong parameters...

# date | sendmail -v -Am yo...@email.address

Tim Daneliuk

Apr 23, 2015, 10:10:03 AM4/23/15
On 04/22/2015 08:01 PM, Claus Aßmann wrote:
> BTW: if this is sendmail 8.15, you should really read the release
> notes -- there is an important change.

The important change affects on IPV6 addresses, correct, or is there something
else you had in mind? i.e., There is nothing in 8.15 that breaks existing
IPV4 configurations...?

Tim Daneliuk tun...@tundraware.com
PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Claus Aßmann

Apr 23, 2015, 11:40:03 AM4/23/15
This is the item that so far caused the most questions
(due to temporary DNS problems):

If header rewriting fails due to a temporary map lookup failure,
queue the mail for later retry instead of sending it
without rewriting the header. Note: this is done
while the mail is being sent and hence the transaction
is aborted, which only works for SMTP/LMTP mailers
hence the handling of temporary map failures is
suppressed for other mailers. SMTP/LMTP servers may
complain about aborted transactions when this problem
occurs.
See also "DNS Lookups" in sendmail/TUNING.

Tim Daneliuk

Apr 23, 2015, 4:01:02 PM4/23/15
So, if understand this correctly, outbound SMTP will not get delivered until
it can resolve map lookups (either immediately or as later deferred) or
until the retry period expires and that mail delivery fails hard.

Is this correct? Can you provide some insight into the motivation for this
change?

Thanks, (as always)

Claus Aßmann

Apr 26, 2015, 11:20:03 AM4/26/15
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> On 04/23/2015 10:23 AM, Claus Aßmann wrote:

> > If header rewriting fails due to a temporary map lookup failure,

> Is this correct? Can you provide some insight into the motivation for this
> change?

Sorry, but is that really a serious question?
It's obviously a bug fix...

What should an MTA do if it encounters a temporary failure
(unless explicitly told to ignore it)?

Tim Daneliuk

Apr 27, 2015, 10:01:02 AM4/27/15
On 04/26/2015 10:07 AM, Claus Aßmann wrote:
> Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>> On 04/23/2015 10:23 AM, Claus Aßmann wrote:
>
>>> If header rewriting fails due to a temporary map lookup failure,
>
>> Is this correct? Can you provide some insight into the motivation for this
>> change?
>
> Sorry, but is that really a serious question?
> It's obviously a bug fix...
>
> What should an MTA do if it encounters a temporary failure
> (unless explicitly told to ignore it)?

I guess my real question is - why was it ever anything other than the
current behavior? What historically was the motive for a header rewrite
and delivery?