Are non-ascii characters allowed in sendmail configuration files?

Mike B

Jul 7, 2016, 2:03:20 AM7/7/16
I'm curious - are non-ascii characters allowed in sendmail configuration files? I would assume not since email headers and SMTP commands require ASCII (not to mention that GNU m4 can be a little temperamental with non-ascii content) but I wasn't sure if there were exceptions.

I didn't see this mentioned either way in the bat book.

Claus Aßmann

Jul 7, 2016, 1:35:02 PM7/7/16
Mike B wrote:

[reformatted to less than 80 chars per line...]

> I'm curious - are non-ascii characters allowed in sendmail
> configuration files? I would assume not since email headers and SMTP
> commands require ASCII [[..]]

"What's the problem you are trying to solve?"

You could always try whatever you intend to do and report back
:-)

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous

Mike B

Jul 8, 2016, 12:32:12 PM7/8/16
> "What's the problem you are trying to solve?"

No problem. I was just curious as the topic came up in a conversation the other day. I wasn't sure if there were known issues or not. I've heard anecdotally that GNU m4 can be temperamental with some non-ascii characters but wasn't sure if sendmail had strict requirements.