using genericstable, but it seems to be ignored

Harry Putnam

Dec 13, 2016, 7:10:45 AM12/13/16
I have sendmail.mc set to masquerade newsguy.com. So my mail goes out
with envelope from set to ha...@newsguy.com (harry being my uid on
host).

However I want to make that outgoing mail have rea...@newsguy.com in
both the regular From: line, and envelope from.

It appear that `genericstable' and `genericsdomain' can do that as
presented in http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Sendmail-Address-Rewrite-3.html
Documentation.

I've created genericstable and makemap hash'ed it
created genericdomain as directed by above cited url.
(hostname -f d0.local.lan)
hostname -f > genericsdomain

But then seeing as how the problem is my mail From: and envelope from
are appearing as `ha...@newsguy.com... I also put: newsguy.com into
genericsdomain.

However the mail still leaves my host with ha...@newsguy.com in both
`From:' and envelope from.

It seems the generics files are being ignored.

Pertinent file contens below (genericstable, genericsdomain,
sendmail.mc)

cat genericsdomain:

d0.local.lan
newsguy.com

cat gemericstable:

harry rea...@newsguy.com
root rea...@newsguy.com
ha...@newsguy.com rea...@newsguy.com

(makemap -r hash genericstable.db <genericstable)

/etc/init.d/sendmail reload

created sendmail.cf with
cd sendmail-8.16.0.19/cf/cf
make install-cf

using the sendmail.mc below (stripped for mail)
------- ------- ---=--- ------- -------
root # grep -v '^\(dnl\|#\)' sendmail.mc
------- ------- ---=--- ------- -------
divert(-1)dnl
divert(0)dnl
define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl
include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.14.4-8+deb8u1 2016-06-30 18:08:19 cowboy Exp $')
OSTYPE(`debian')dnl
DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl
undefine(`confHOST_STATUS_DIRECTORY')dnl #DAEMON_HOSTSTATS=
FEATURE(`no_default_msa')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Name=MTA-v4, Port=smtp, Addr=127.0.0.1')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Name=MSP-v4, Port=submission, M=Ea, Addr=127.0.0.1')dnl
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS',dnl
`needmailhelo,needexpnhelo,needvrfyhelo,restrictqrun,restrictexpand,nobodyreturn,authwarnings')dnl
define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE', `15')dnl
define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_WINDOW_SIZE',`10m')dnl
FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl
FEATURE(`access_db', , `skip')dnl
FEATURE(`greet_pause', `1000')dnl 1 seconds
FEATURE(`delay_checks', `friend', `n')dnl
define(`confBAD_RCPT_THROTTLE',`3')dnl
FEATURE(`conncontrol', `nodelay', `terminate')dnl
FEATURE(`ratecontrol', `nodelay', `terminate')dnl
include(`/etc/mail/m4/dialup.m4')dnl
include(`/etc/mail/m4/provider.m4')dnl
FEATURE(`always_add_domain')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`newsguy.com')dnl
FEATURE(`allmasquerade')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
FEATURE(genericstable, `hash -o /etc/mail/genericstable') dnl
GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/genericsdomain')dnl
MAILER_DEFINITIONS
define(`SMART_HOST',`[smtp.newsguy.com]')dnl
define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587')dnl
define(`ESMTP_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587')dnl
MAILER(`local')dnl
MAILER(procmail)
MAILER(`smtp')dnl

Claus Aßmann

Dec 13, 2016, 8:21:55 AM12/13/16
Harry Putnam wrote:
> I have sendmail.mc set to masquerade newsguy.com. So my mail goes out
> with envelope from set to ha...@newsguy.com (harry being my uid on
> host).

> However I want to make that outgoing mail have rea...@newsguy.com in
> both the regular From: line, and envelope from.

> It appear that `genericstable' and `genericsdomain' can do that as
> presented in http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Sendmail-Address-Rewrite-3.html

How about reading the real stuff (i.e., the docs that come with sendmail)?
Maybe this might be relevant (cf/README):
Notice: if you use an MSP (as it is default starting with
8.12), the MTA will only receive qualified addresses from the
MSP (as required by the RFCs). Hence you need to add your
domain to class {G}.

> FEATURE(genericstable, `hash -o /etc/mail/genericstable') dnl

Do NOT use -o if you want to use the map.

> MAILER_DEFINITIONS

Why is that line here?

You can check your setup with
sendmail -bt
?
/tryflags hs
/try esmtp harry

(and other addresses, as well as the /map command).

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous

Harry Putnam

Dec 14, 2016, 9:13:01 AM12/14/16
Claus Aßmann
<ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> I have sendmail.mc set to masquerade newsguy.com. So my mail goes out
>> with envelope from set to ha...@newsguy.com (harry being my uid on
>> host).
>
>> However I want to make that outgoing mail have rea...@newsguy.com in
>> both the regular From: line, and envelope from.
>
>> It appear that `genericstable' and `genericsdomain' can do that as
>> presented in http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Sendmail-Address-Rewrite-3.html
>
> How about reading the real stuff (i.e., the docs that come with sendmail)?
> Maybe this might be relevant (cf/README):
> Notice: if you use an MSP (as it is default starting with
> 8.12), the MTA will only receive qualified addresses from the
> MSP (as required by the RFCs). Hence you need to add your
> domain to class {G}.

Not clear to me what the significance of that Notice: is. In prior
message I showed content of genericsdomain as:

d0.local.lan
newsguy.com

I've since changed it to:
local.lan
newsguy.com

Is that incorrect? (Host full name is d0.local.lan)

I had read from [...]/cf/README prior to posting but was not at all
sure how to carry out what it says. Hence the post here.

Now with a careful reading, I made changes in genericstable:

harry+*@d0.local.lan reader+*@newsguy.com
harry+*@newsguy.com reader+*@newsguy.com
root+*@d0.local.lan reader+*@newsguy.com

Is that incorrect?

>> FEATURE(genericstable, `hash -o /etc/mail/genericstable') dnl

> Do NOT use -o if you want to use the map.

Done.

>> MAILER_DEFINITIONS
>
> Why is that line here?

That is inserted by the debian generation tools. I've been altering
there default sendmail.mc... Was not sure why that was there either so
decided to leave it, in case it was important. I've removed it.

> You can check your setup with
> sendmail -bt
> ?
> /tryflags hs
> /try esmtp harry
>
> (and other addresses, as well as the /map command).

/tryflags hs returns nothing at all.

/try esmtp harry
Trying header sender address harry for mailer esmtp
canonify input: harry
Canonify2 input: harry
Canonify2 returns: harry
canonify returns: harry
1 input: harry
1 returns: harry
HdrFromSMTP input: harry
PseudoToReal input: harry
PseudoToReal returns: harry
MasqSMTP input: harry
MasqSMTP returns: harry < @ *LOCAL* >
MasqHdr input: harry < @ *LOCAL* >
MasqHdr returns: harry < @ newsguy . com . >
HdrFromSMTP returns: harry < @ newsguy . com . >
final input: harry < @ newsguy . com . >
final returns: harry @ newsguy . com
Rcode = 0, addr = ha...@newsguy.com

It appears to be saying it will send out mail with ha...@newsguy.com
in both the mail `From:' field and `envelope From'.

And that is what happens when a mail is sent.

That is exactly what I don't want to do, and is the reason I'm trying
to use genericstable as it's descriptions seem to say it can change
both right and left side of outgoing messages.

My pop3 account with newsguy is `rea...@newsguy.com' but my username
on my local host is harry.

Apparently I have yet to figure out the right syntax or something.

Claus Aßmann

Dec 14, 2016, 6:40:03 PM12/14/16
Harry Putnam wrote:
> Claus Aßmann

> Is that incorrect? (Host full name is d0.local.lan)

You have to check what the MSP sends to your MTA. Of course the
simple way is to list all possible domain names.

> Now with a careful reading, I made changes in genericstable:

> harry+*@d0.local.lan reader+*@newsguy.com
> harry+*@newsguy.com reader+*@newsguy.com
> root+*@d0.local.lan reader+*@newsguy.com

> Is that incorrect?

Yes.
Where in cf/README did you find that (RHS) syntax?

If those are now the only entries in the map, then you broke it...

> > sendmail -bt
> > ?
> > /tryflags hs
> > /try esmtp harry
> >
> > (and other addresses, as well as the /map command).

> /tryflags hs returns nothing at all.

Hmm, did you miss the first line? It would have shown you the help...

> /try esmtp harry

> Rcode = 0, addr = ha...@newsguy.com

> It appears to be saying it will send out mail with ha...@newsguy.com
> in both the mail `From:' field and `envelope From'.

> That is exactly what I don't want to do, and is the reason I'm trying

It seems you ignored the rest of my hints to try other addresses
(esp. harry@...) as well as the /map command...