About the *.mc VERSIONID line

瀏覽次數:8 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Harry Putnam

未讀,
2017年8月23日 上午11:58:372017/8/23
收件者:
In the example *.mc files one always sees a VERIONID line near the
top.

I wondered if that is supposed to be generated anew when one builds
sendmail?

I notice the VERSION line on mine, after running thru m4, never
changes.

How is the VERSIONID line generated?

Claus Aßmann

未讀,
2017年8月23日 中午12:39:082017/8/23
收件者:
Harry Putnam wrote:

> I notice the VERSION line on mine, after running thru m4, never
> changes.

You didn't read the fine documentation, right?
cf/README.

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous

Harry Putnam

未讀,
2017年8月23日 下午1:52:492017/8/23
收件者:
Claus Aßmann
<ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> I notice the VERSION line on mine, after running thru m4, never
>> changes.
>
> You didn't read the fine documentation, right?
> cf/README.

You are right... I didn't expect something like that would be in
there.

But now that I have I still don't know much more.

VERSIONID is a macro that stuffs the version information into the
resulting file. You could use SCCS, RCS, CVS, something else, or
omit it completely. This is not the same as the version id included
in SMTP greeting messages -- this is defined in m4/version.m4.

I still don't know where it gets the VERSIONID information.

As far as stuffing it into the resulting file, I do not see that
either. sendmail.cf appears to have no VERSIONID line.
Other than the one that is an exact copy of sendmail.mc but
commented.

Unless it means this:

,----
| ######################################################################
| ######################################################################
| #####
| ##### SENDMAIL CONFIGURATION FILE
| #####
| ##### built by root@d2 on Mon Aug 21 18:45:10 EDT 2017
| ##### in /usr/local/src/sendmail-8.16.0.19-HP.v2/cf/cf
| ##### using ../ as configuration include directory
| #####
| ######################################################################
`----

Which does not mention VERSIONID either.

Claus Aßmann

未讀,
2017年8月23日 下午2:16:582017/8/23
收件者:
Harry Putnam wrote:

> I still don't know where it gets the VERSIONID information.

_You_ (can) set it. Or whatever "source code control system" you
use (you might want to look up "SCCS", "RCS", "CVS" as those are
mentioned in the fine documentation).

> As far as stuffing it into the resulting file, I do not see that
> either. sendmail.cf appears to have no VERSIONID line.

Do you see DOMAIN, FEATURE, et.al. in your cf file?
(they are actually there if the sendmail supplied Makefile
is used as it appends the original mc file...)

Did you look for the actual argument instead?

Harry Putnam

未讀,
2017年8月23日 下午2:53:482017/8/23
收件者:
Claus Aßmann
<ca+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> I still don't know where it gets the VERSIONID information.
>
> _You_ (can) set it. Or whatever "source code control system" you
> use (you might want to look up "SCCS", "RCS", "CVS" as those are
> mentioned in the fine documentation).

Thanks, finally soaked in .. I `can' include ... from the sources
mentioned.

>> As far as stuffing it into the resulting file, I do not see that
>> either. sendmail.cf appears to have no VERSIONID line.
>
> Do you see DOMAIN, FEATURE, et.al. in your cf file?
> (they are actually there if the sendmail supplied Makefile
> is used as it appends the original mc file...

Yes I saw it as mentioned in previous msg:

>> As far as stuffing it into the resulting file, I do not see that
>> either. sendmail.cf appears to have no VERSIONID line. Other than
>> the one that is an exact copy of sendmail.mc but commented.

Thanks again for your patience.
0 則新訊息