Looking for a maildir mail reader for locally reading my mails under Windows

Castor Nageur

Nov 9, 2011, 7:10:02 AM11/9/11

I am now synchronzing my Gmail accounts with offlineimap.
All my accounts are saved (~ 40 GB of emails) in the maildir format
under a global mail directory.

I am now looking for a graphical mail reader that can directly read my
maildir directory.
If possible, I would like to avoid running an IMAP server for locally
reading my emails.

- I eliminated Alpine, Cone, Gnus, Mutt, Pine which are text-based
readers.
- I installed Opera Mail but did find how to tell it to load my local
maildir directory.
- I installed Novell Evolution but the application seems very complex
& heavy (many processes are started) and it does too much for what I
need. Moreover, I quickly crashed the software.
- KMail seems to be only available/supported on Unix platforms.

* Do you know any other graphical & local maildir readers for
Windows ?

* If not, could you advise me a good free IMAP server (the simpler to
configure is the better for me) ?

Thanks in advance for helping me.

Joe Zeff

Nov 9, 2011, 1:24:17 PM11/9/11
On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 04:10:02 -0800, Castor Nageur wrote:

> I am now looking for a graphical mail reader that can directly read my
> maildir directory.
> If possible, I would like to avoid running an IMAP server for locally
> reading my emails.

And why, pray tell, do you think that a newsgroup dedicated to the program
sendmail is an appropriate place to ask?

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info

Castor Nageur

Nov 10, 2011, 3:26:49 AM11/10/11
On 9 nov, 19:24, Joe Zeff <the.guy.with.the.sidebu...@lasfs.info>
wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 04:10:02 -0800, Castor Nageur wrote:
> > I am now looking for a graphical mail reader that can directly read my
> > maildir directory.
> > If possible, I would like to avoid running an IMAP server for locally
> > reading my emails.
>
> And why, pray tell, do you think that a newsgroup dedicated to the program
> sendmail is an appropriate place to ask?

People using sendmail generally generally know mail readers.
I just expected a program name and not a detailed answer.
In facts, I searched in the comp.mail.* forums but did not find a
really appropriated forum for my question.

Joe Zeff

Nov 10, 2011, 12:34:11 PM11/10/11
On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 00:26:49 -0800, Castor Nageur wrote:

> People using sendmail generally generally know mail readers. I just
> expected a program name and not a detailed answer. In facts, I searched
> in the comp.mail.* forums but did not find a really appropriated forum
> for my question.

Consider checking the groups dedicated to Windows support.

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info
Where there's a flamethrower, there's a way.

J.O. Aho

Nov 10, 2011, 4:32:00 PM11/10/11
comp.mail.pine for all your questions about alpine

--

//Aho

Castor Nageur

Nov 11, 2011, 9:15:57 AM11/11/11
On 10 nov, 18:34, Joe Zeff <the.guy.with.the.sidebu...@lasfs.info>
wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 00:26:49 -0800, Castor Nageur wrote:
> > People using sendmail generally generally know mail readers. I just
> > expected a program name and not a detailed answer. In facts, I searched
> > in the comp.mail.* forums but did not find a really appropriated forum
> > for my question.
>
> Consider checking the groups dedicated to Windows support.
>
> --
> Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:http://www.zeff.ushttp://www.lasfs.info
> Where there's a flamethrower, there's a way.

Unfortunately, maildir format is generally supported by Unix readers/
servers so it is very difficult to find answers on Windows forums.
Anyway, I understand that comp.mail.sendmail is not the appropriate
forum for my question.

Joe Zeff

Nov 11, 2011, 2:22:32 PM11/11/11
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 06:15:57 -0800, Castor Nageur wrote:

> Unfortunately, maildir format is generally supported by Unix readers/
> servers so it is very difficult to find answers on Windows forums.
> Anyway, I understand that comp.mail.sendmail is not the appropriate
> forum for my question.

Still, if there is such a program, you're more likely to find it on a
Windows forum than here. I hope you find what you need, and that one of
our suggestions pointed you in the right direction.

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info
All property is theft, except mine.

TechGuru

Sep 4, 2016, 6:18:01 AM9/4/16
You can use this FREE tiny little utility http://www.bitrecover.com/maildir/viewer/ to read your maildir files in offline mode.

This application will allow you to easily view your maildir email messages stored and copied locally on a Windows computer.