How can I confirm if sendmail is (or is not) converting a message from 8 to 7 bits?

Mike B

Jun 1, 2016, 6:02:54 PM6/1/16
I suspect that sendmail is attempting to convert a message from 8 to 7 bits. How can I confirm if it's doing this? Is this something that would be caught with elevated debug logging? I didn't see a specific debug log level documented that captures this information.

Claus Aßmann

Jun 1, 2016, 10:35:03 PM6/1/16
What's the problem that you are trying to solve?

Is that conversion breaking something?
Is the conversion wrong? In that case, please send
a bug report with an example to the support address.

See the man page about those options:
-D dbg.log -d43.8

See doc/op.* about MIME conversion and flags to modify
the default behaviour, e.g.,

8 If set, it is acceptable to send eight bit data to
this mailer; the usual attempt to do 8->7 bit MIME
conversions will be bypassed.

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous