CC: 'ing automatically

Michael Rosenstark

Feb 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/11/97

I am using UNIX pine, version 3.91, and I was wondering if anyone knew
how to set the program to always CC: a particular address (a default CC:,
if you will).

thanks for any help in advance,

mike

Michael Rosenstark * rose...@planet.net * 201-PIG-LARD (201-744-5273)

Mike Brudenell

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

Certainly with the current version of Pine (3.95) there is an item in the
Setup Configuration screen called "customized-hdrs". This allows you to
add extra (custom) headers with, if you wish, default values. It can, I
believe, also be used to give default values to already existing headers
(such as the "Cc:" header).

However whether this facility is available in the ancient version 3.91 of
Pine you are using I cannot recall. (Any chance of upgrading? There are
many new features and bug-fixes.)

By the way, if you are planning on always Cc'ing a copy to _yourself_ a
better solution would be to use "Fcc:" rather than "Cc:". Instead of
taking an e-mail address "Fcc:" wants the name of one of your folders.
Whenever you send a message with an "Fcc: foldername" set a copy of the
message is written straight into that folder. This avoids the
(unnecessary) delay and overhead of sending a copy to yourself through the
mail system only to have it arrive back in your INBOX.

If you want to use "Fcc:" you can set its default value using the
"default-fcc" variable in the Setup Configuration screen.

You can also do snazzy things like tell Pine's Address Book to use a
different Fcc folder when sending a message to someone listed in your
Address Book (providing theirs is the first e-mail address in the "To:"
field).

Again, note that these options _may_ not be available in Pine 3.91 (I
honestly can't recall).

Cheers,

--
Mike Brudenell <pm...@york.ac.uk>
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York, YO1 5DD, UK