Temporary error 249 (temporary MX resolution error) resolving 'hotmail.com'.

Jim

Aug 21, 2008, 10:17:37 PM8/21/08
Tried the other smtp protocol modules (mercurye.dll/end-to-end and
mercuryc.dll/smtp relaying). Don't understand what they're used for.

For some reason, something ends up misconfigured in the way mercurys.dll
tries to resolve the MX records. Is there a way to track the MX queries
it sends out?

Is there a setting for Mercury somewhere which helps resolve these DNS
MX record issues?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Jim Carlock
All Humans All Have More Than Five Senses

Message has been deleted

Jim

Aug 22, 2008, 2:19:38 AM8/22/08
"Jim" wrote:
> Tried the other smtp protocol modules (mercurye.dll/end-to-end and
> mercuryc.dll/smtp relaying).
> Don't understand what they're used for.

"Guy" wrote ...
> These are sending mail OUTbound of Mercury.
>
> MercuryE -> some.example.com
>
> This connect directly to MX of destination domain.
>
> How are you wanting to use your Mercury installation?

Thanks, Guy. The error message in the subject seems to identify a
problem identifying the MX records for a domain. For instance, when
I run the following,

dig.exe hotmail.com mx

I get the following information:

IN MX 5 mx2.hotmail.com.
IN MX 5 mx3.hotmail.com.
IN MX 5 mx4.hotmail.com.
IN MX 5 mx1.hotmail.com.

The end-result I seek involves sending email to the remote mail
servers.

I'm sending some email to myself (a hotmail.com account) through
an account configured on the server, which currently runs through
the mercurye.dll/end-to-end.

I can send from the hotmail account to mercuryp well enough, but
I'm running into some problems getting the mx record lookup to
work. Dig returns extensive information very quick.

Thank you for your time.

--
Jim Carlock
You Have More Than Five Senses

Jim

Aug 23, 2008, 6:17:43 PM8/23/08
I tried mail.~N as the name for the server, but that failed to
work. I see in the end-to-end logs that the name resolves right.

The error messages in the end-to-end logs:

Error connecting to primary server '64.12.138.88'.
Error connecting to alternate server '64.12.138.153'.
Error connecting to alternate server '64.12.139.249'.
Error connecting to alternate server '205.188.249.91'.

I believe what's going on is that when the server tries to make
a connection it identifies itself improperly. For instance when
email comes from example.com it identifies itself as either,
mail.000.000.000.000 or it as nothing or as some default name.

Not sure what else to look at right at the moment.

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/381163/more_than_five_senses.html