New twist to Error sending message, child exited 127 (Exec error.) problem

Jahagirdar Vijayvithal S

Jan 20, 2005, 12:49:36 PM1/20/05
I have two mutt sessions running. one(say M1) pointing to my /var/mail/folder
and the other(say M2) to Sent mail folder.
Both M1 and M2 occupy diferent windows in my screen session and have
been running for days. I normally send mails using M1 but for the past
two days during night M1 shows the error message below while sending
mails
Error sending message, child exited 127 (Exec error.)
If I postpone the mail and recall it in M2 and try to send it the mail
goes through.
I understand the error message is due to issues with the sendmail
configuration but,
I am not able to understand why M1 fails when M2 is able to send mails.
Any Idea?
BTW The mail box M1 is pointing to is HUGE (673MB in size) but I cant see
why this would cause an intermittent failure.

Regards
Jahagirdar Vijayvithal S
No reference to sendmail in my muttrc
but version info below points to the correct sendmail.
mutt -version
Mutt 1.4.1i (2003-03-19)
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: SunOS 5.8 (sun4u) [using ncurses 5.2]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-DEBUG
-HOMESPOOL -USE_SETGID +USE_DOTLOCK -DL_STANDALONE
+USE_FCNTL -USE_FLOCK
-USE_POP -USE_IMAP -USE_GSS -USE_SSL -USE_SASL
+HAVE_REGCOMP -USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR +HAVE_START_COLOR +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD +HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET +HAVE_META +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+HAVE_PGP -BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS -SUN_ATTACHMENT
+ENABLE_NLS -LOCALES_HACK +HAVE_WC_FUNCS +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
+HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV +ICONV_NONTRANS +HAVE_GETSID -HAVE_GETADDRINFO
ISPELL="/usr/local/bin/ispell"
SENDMAIL="/usr/lib/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/mail"
PKGDATADIR="/db/dsputils/jvs//share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/db/dsputils/jvs//etc"
EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
-MIXMASTER
To contact the developers, please mail to <mutt...@mutt.org>.
To report a bug, please use the flea(1) utility.

Sven Guckes

Jan 20, 2005, 10:46:44 PM1/20/05
* Jahagirdar Vijayvithal S <FILTER...@india.ti.com> [2005-01-20]:

> I have two mutt sessions running. one(say M1) pointing to my
> /var/mail/folder and the other(say M2) to Sent mail folder. Both
> M1 and M2 occupy diferent windows in my screen session and have
> been running for days. I normally send mails using M1 but for the
> past two days during night M1 shows the error message below while
> sending mails Error sending message, child exited 127 (Exec error.)
> If I postpone the mail and recall it in M2 and try to send
> it the mail goes through. I understand the error message is due
> to issues with the sendmail configuration but, I am not able to
> understand why M1 fails when M2 is able to send mails. Any Idea?

check your config. or ask someone in india...
i hear people there can ride on carpets
and some can even *sense* configs.

> BTW The mail box M1 is pointing to is HUGE (673MB in size)
> but I cant see why this would cause an intermittent failure.

ever tried "mutt -f /dev/null"?

> mutt -version
> Mutt 1.4.1i (2003-03-19)

heard of mutt 1.4.2?
almost a year old now..

> System: SunOS 5.8 (sun4u) [using ncurses 5.2]

ncurses 5.4 is almost a year old now, too.

> Compile options:
> SENDMAIL="/usr/lib/sendmail"

has this one changed recently?

Sven

Jahagirdar Vijayvithal S

Jan 21, 2005, 1:32:09 AM1/21/05
* Sven Guckes <use...@guckes.net>:

> * Jahagirdar Vijayvithal S <FILTER...@india.ti.com> [2005-01-20]:
>> I have two mutt sessions running. one(say M1) pointing to my
>> /var/mail/folder and the other(say M2) to Sent mail folder. Both
>> M1 and M2 occupy diferent windows in my screen session and have
>> been running for days. I normally send mails using M1 but for the
>> past two days during night M1 shows the error message below while
>> sending mails Error sending message, child exited 127 (Exec error.)
>> If I postpone the mail and recall it in M2 and try to send
>> it the mail goes through. I understand the error message is due
>> to issues with the sendmail configuration but, I am not able to
>> understand why M1 fails when M2 is able to send mails. Any Idea?
Noticed that the /tmp area was near 100% full. May be that coupled with
some nightly regressions might have created the problems above. But I am
still not sure why it was observed in one session and not in the other.
Anyway have cleaned up the /tmp area and will monitor for a few days to
check wether it solves the problem.

> check your config. or ask someone in india...
> i hear people there can ride on carpets
Flying carpets? Too many hassles, what with the pre flight check and
all. I prefer riding my pet elephant for my daily commute.

> and some can even *sense* configs.
Thats nothing. The guy in the next cube can commit to a schedule before
knowing what the project is... Pretty strong mental abilities ;) For
your limited abilities to sense config files I will attach the muttrc
file ;)

>> BTW The mail box M1 is pointing to is HUGE (673MB in size)
>> but I cant see why this would cause an intermittent failure.
>
> ever tried "mutt -f /dev/null"?
yup did it now. that works.
As stated above I am able to send mails from one mutt session and not
from the other. Both share the same config file, the only difference
being the size of the mailbox.

>> mutt -version
>> Mutt 1.4.1i (2003-03-19)
>
> heard of mutt 1.4.2?
> almost a year old now..
>
>> System: SunOS 5.8 (sun4u) [using ncurses 5.2]
>
> ncurses 5.4 is almost a year old now, too.

>> Compile options:
>> SENDMAIL="/usr/lib/sendmail"
>
> has this one changed recently?

Nope pretty old, older than mutt and ncurses above. I guess new versions
have come out. But convincing my sysad -- who spent two hours convincing
me that windows on laptops is more secure than linux when asked to
change the OS ;) -- to upgrade is, lets say not a trival job. And I am
running out of disk quota with all the local installations I am
maintaining.

> Sven
Regards
Jahagirdar Vijayvithal S

-----------Contents of muttrc-------------
fcc-save-hook ~A ~/Mail/Sent
set mailcap_path="~/.mutt.mailcap"
set mime_forward = ask-yes
set delete = yes
set forward_format = '[FWD :%s]'
set move = no
set edit_headers
set editor='/db/dsputils/jvs/bin/vim'
set realname ='Jahagirdar Vijayvithal S'
set from ='Munged...@india.ti.com'
set hidden_host = yes
set query_command = "~/bin/mutt_ldap_query.pl '%s'"
set alias_file=~/.mutt.alias
auto_view text/html
source ~/.mutt.alias
set alternates=(((Munge2@india)|Munge1@)ti.com)
set include=yes
set fast_reply

#this contains stuff like `macro index ii l~F<enter>' etc
source ~/.mutt.virtualfolders

#this contains stuff the usual coloring stuff
source ~/.mutt.colors

Sven Guckes

Jan 21, 2005, 10:14:36 AM1/21/05
* Jahagirdar Vijayvithal S <FILTER...@india.ti.com> [2005-01-21]:

> Noticed that the /tmp area was near 100% full. May be that coupled with
> some nightly regressions might have created the problems above. But I am
> still not sure why it was observed in one session and not in the other.
> Anyway have cleaned up the /tmp area and will monitor
> for a few days to check wether it solves the problem.

try a different tmpdir?!

$ mkdir -p $HOME/.mutt/replies/
$ echo "set tmpdir=~/.mutt/replies" >> ~/.muttrc

works for me.

but if it just is the size of the folder -
can you do a few checks as to the size?
copy the folder and delete some messages
to decrease the size and then try mailing..

> But convincing my sysad -- who spent two hours convincing me that windows
> on laptops is more secure than linux when asked to change the OS ;) --
> to upgrade is, lets say not a trival job. And I am running out of
> disk quota with all the local installations I am maintaining.

ask for a group account to install additional software.
gives you your quota back for your own data -
and others can help installing software, too.

> * Sven Guckes <use...@guckes.net>:

>> check your config. or ask someone in india...
>> i hear people there can ride on carpets
> Flying carpets? Too many hassles, what with the pre flight check
> and all. I prefer riding my pet elephant for my daily commute.

i prefer carpets. just hoover it once in a while.
no feeding, no sh***ing. but i guess one of the
advantages of flying elephants is the trumpet..
"honk if you use mutt!"

>> and some can even *sense* configs.
> Thats nothing. The guy in the next cube can commit
> to a schedule before knowing what the project is...
> Pretty strong mental abilities ;)

scary! he should be in the debian project! maybe
he will know when the next version will be done...

Sven