UW IMAP on Win2K anyone?

Odeen

Mar 2, 2001, 11:50:59 PM3/2/01
Has anyone successfully installed UW IMAP on Windows 2000 (or NT)?
I downloaded the cygwin-compiled version, but can't seem to get it to work.

I installed the cygwin inetd as an NT service, and created an inetd.conf
with
an entry for imapd. I can connect using Outlook Express, but I see in the
event log that it is preauth'ing as "system". When I try to create folders
from OE, they are created in the cygwin root directory, but OE can't see
them.

Any advice or info on others' experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
odeen

Mark Crispin

Mar 3, 2001, 1:23:27 AM3/3/01
to Odeen
On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Odeen wrote:
> I installed the cygwin inetd as an NT service, and created an
> inetd.conf with an entry for imapd. I can connect using Outlook
> Express, but I see in the event log that it is preauth'ing as
> "system". When I try to create folders from OE, they are created in
> the cygwin root directory, but OE can't see them.

I haven't looked at the cygwin hacks, but apparently it is built on the
UNIX platform instead of the NT/Win2K platform. Apparently cygwin's
emulation of UNIX on NT/Win2K isn't quite complete.

Try building a "w2k" version of imapd instead.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc

arvidjaar

Mar 5, 2001, 2:09:56 AM3/5/01

"Mark Crispin" <m...@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote in message

> On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Odeen wrote:
> > I installed the cygwin inetd as an NT service, and created an
> > inetd.conf with an entry for imapd. I can connect using Outlook
> > Express, but I see in the event log that it is preauth'ing as
> > "system". When I try to create folders from OE, they are created in
> > the cygwin root directory, but OE can't see them.
>
> I haven't looked at the cygwin hacks, but apparently it is built on the
> UNIX platform instead of the NT/Win2K platform. Apparently cygwin's
> emulation of UNIX on NT/Win2K isn't quite complete.

Cygwin emulation is fairly complete and this is exactly the problem here.
Cygwin is using normal Unix /etc/passwd that is mapped to NT account (user->
SID). When you add inetd as NT service, it runs as user "system" which is
quite correct. Unfortunately, imapd has no idea that account "system" is
special in any way and it treats connection as preauthenticated.

The problem is, NT does not have a notion of single superuser - rather, it
has different level of permissions. You simply cannot map all NT
administrative groups to single user "root". Cygwin port must be aware of
them.

-andrej

Mark Crispin

Mar 5, 2001, 2:13:44 PM3/5/01
to arvidjaar
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, arvidjaar wrote:
> Unfortunately, imapd has no idea that account "system" is
> special in any way and it treats connection as preauthenticated.

Uh, excuse me.

The NT port of imapd knows about "system" quite well. It also knows about
the TCB privilege and how to logon.

The problem is that cygwin uses the UNIX base instead of the NT base, and
cygwin apparently does not do a 100% emulation of UNIX UID 0 and setuid().
That isn't imapd's fault. imapd's UNIX code is for UNIX, not NT.

Try running the native NT port of imapd under cygwin inetd.

Odeen

Mar 5, 2001, 10:29:57 PM3/5/01
Thanks a for the info...

Do you know if the w2k binaries are available anywhere? (I don't have
VC++.)

I looked on the UW site, and it has binaries for various flavors of UNIX,
but
not NT/W2K.

-odeen