Where to best install Eudora in Windows 7 64bit

mvan...@onetel.com

Jun 23, 2013, 5:28:44 AM6/23/13
Please would someone let me know what is the best way to install Eudora so it works well on a Windows 7 64 bit system?

I am just moving from XP to Windows 7, Eudora works but gives frequent error messages like "error accessing file C:\Users\MVR\Appdata\local\temp\linkhistory.tmp: access is denied. Cause: No such file or directory exists".
And when I close Eudora: "Error accessing file C:\program files (x86)\Eudora\Search\ISM96B1.tmp: access is denied. Cause: No such file or directory exists".

In XP I installed data and program all in the same folder for easy back-up and I did the same here (all in the program files (x86) directory in a folder named Eudora) - maybe that is a bad idea? I did install as administrator. If I have to use two different directories I have to separate out what are program and what are data files in my old Eudora folder before I transfer all the data to my new laptop, but that is another problem...

Thanks in advance!
Miriam.
Message has been deleted

Ajo Wissink

Jun 23, 2013, 12:38:09 PM6/23/13
On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 02:28:44 -0700 (PDT), mvan...@onetel.com wrote:

>In XP I installed data and program all in the same folder for easy back-up and I did the same here (all in the program files (x86) directory in a folder named Eudora) - maybe that is a bad idea? I did install as administrator. If I have to use two different directories I have to separate out what are program and what are data files in my old Eudora folder before I transfer all the data to my new laptop, but that is another problem...

The easiest way to separate program and data files is to un-install
the program. Un-installing removes only the program files and leaves
your data files alone. Do this in XP and you will end up with a
folder that contains only your data.

To avoid messing up you should first make a backup of your program and
data cocktail

Jim Thompson

Jun 23, 2013, 12:40:20 PM6/23/13
On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 11:19:08 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 02:28:44 -0700 (PDT), mvan...@onetel.com declaimed the
>following:
>
>>In XP I installed data and program all in the same folder for easy back-up and I did the same here (all in the program files (x86) directory in a folder named Eudora) - maybe that is a bad idea? I did install as administrator. If I have to use two different directories I have to separate out what are program and what are data files in my old Eudora folder before I transfer all the data to my new laptop, but that is another problem...
>>
> <sigh>
>
> Even in WinXP that was a bad idea... But XP didn't enforce separation
>of church&state (program vs user data) and allowed one to "unlock" the
>installation directory so user data could modify it.
>
> Win7 fully locks the program install directories -- Even an
>administration account has to confirm elevated privileges to modify those
>directories (it just doesn't have to resupply the password).
>
> BUT Win7 has a sort of virtualization system for really old programs.
>When a user account tries to modify a file in a program install directory,
>Win7 makes a /copy/ of it in a hidden user directory. As you've discovered,
>this isn't perfect -- sometimes those files go away and the next time you
>try to access you get a glitch as it has to be recreated from the "locked"
>version that is in the install directory.
>
> Recommendation:
>
> Copy your data files (all .mbx, .toc, any subdirectories you created to
>save mail in, the nndb, filters, and eudora.ini) to some place safe.
>
> Uninstall Eudora
>
> Purge the installation directory so nothing is left; purge the registry
>too...
>
> Install Eudora and let it create user data directories (should be
>something like: C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\Eudora )
>
> Edit your old eudora.ini file so that anything with a file path is
>correct for the new configuration and drop it into the data directory.
>Start Eudora and recreate any archival mailboxes/directories. EXIT Eudora
>Then copy those saved data files (except the .ini that you did first) into
>the data directory where they should replace the empties you just created.
>If you are lucky your filters will not need to be recreated (if you didn't
>produce the same archival directories they may need to be edited).

Can't you just install the Eudora executable in its own,
non-program-files directory? That's what I have presently in WinXP...
no problems whatsoever.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

mvan...@onetel.com

Jun 23, 2013, 6:45:16 PM6/23/13
On Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:19:08 PM UTC+2, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> <sigh>
>

> Even in WinXP that was a bad idea...

:D!

Ok, ok, I cleaned up my act and have now achieved proper separation of church & state, in the process ridding my new laptop of various very old and no longer needed Eudora files I have been carrying around since 1993 or so. Thank you for your helpful reply!

mvan...@onetel.com

Jun 23, 2013, 6:47:10 PM6/23/13
On Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:38:09 PM UTC+2, Ajo Wissink wrote:

> The easiest way to separate program and data files is to un-install
> the program. Un-installing removes only the program files and leaves
> your data files alone. Do this in XP and you will end up with a
> folder that contains only your data.
>

> To avoid messing up you should first make a backup of your program and data cocktail

Thank you, that is what I did and it worked perfectly.

hil...@gmail.com

May 29, 2014, 6:58:50 PM5/29/14
On Sunday, June 23, 2013 2:28:44 AM UTC-7, mvan...@onetel.com wrote:

> I am just moving from XP to Windows 7, Eudora works but gives frequent error messages like "error accessing file C:\Users\MVR\Appdata\local\temp\linkhistory.tmp: access is denied. Cause: No such file or directory exists".

> Miriam.

Miriam,

I installed Eudora in Win7 back in 2011 just like you did, and didn't even get the error messages. (It's on my Win7 Notebook, too.) I've been putting if off, but something was wrong with my Win7 installation, and I finally reinstalled it yesterday. But now, I can't get Eudora to even load.

I get the same error message about the AppData/Local file, but Win terminates it at that point. (I've even tried to create the directory, but an answer further down the page about Win7 locking the system folders would explain why.

I even tried installing Eudora in a folder outside of the Program Files as someone else explained further down the page,but I have the same issue.

Did you ever get yours solved?

Did you ever find a work-around?

Ron Hildebrand