Time out error 10060

Daniel Jacobson

Feb 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/12/00
In article <38a5d...@news.per.paradox.net.au>, pa...@coastlink.com.au says...

>Hi, can anyone help please?
>
>I have tried every thing suggested at the web page regarding this error
>(10060) and every different combination that I can think of but every time
>it comes to checking the Hotmail account I get the error 10060.
>
>I currently have Outlook Express doing the job and it encounters no problems
>with hotmail. Is Eudora capable of checking Hotmail accounts?
>
>I also don't know how reliable the information is at the Eudora error page
>for it's dated 1998, for example the time out figure on the page suggests to
>raise it 120 seconds which is less than the current default for v4.3 which
>is set at 300 seconds of which the actual time out error occurs about 60
>seconds into its check.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions?

Try:
Error: 10060
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1357hq.html

10060 - How To Fix The Error
http://wso.williams.edu/~eudora/eudora-error-10060.html

Windows Bear Access Troubleshooting
E-mail (Eudora, Web E-mail, and Travelers' Mail)
http://www.cit.cornell.edu/helpdesk/winba/email/
--
Over and Out
Daniel Jacobson

P.Denis

P.Denis

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
Thank's, but those pages say the same thing, and I have tried them all but
nothing. The only clue I now have is that I also downloaded Pegasus and the
same problem occurs which leads me to believe that the problem is in my box
somewhere and the relationship its having with any mailer other than O/E for
O/E has no problems in checking the mail.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks again

"Daniel Jacobson" <dani...@iadfw.net> wrote in message

ang...@soon.com

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:51:50 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

>Yes: Dump Hotmail. It's worse than useless. Several other outfits offer
>free (or very low-cost) E-Mail accounts which can be accessed using any
>standard POP3/SMTP client. There is *NO* need to support the sort of crap
>that MS is trying to pull off with Hotmail.

Jay, can you please mention some free E-Mail accounts which can be accessed
using standard POP3/SMTP client, where I can use the address I want in the
From: field?

Now in Portugal there are several Free ISPs, I switch to such a provider and I
did cancel my paid account. With their SMTP I had no problems sending
E-Mail. No 501 Bogus Mail or 10060 Errors.

I subscribed to Yahoo, but I didn't like the obligation to use Yahoo's From:
E-Mail address and the advertising "signature" they insert in every
E-Mail I send.

Then I read about mailops.com in this NG, I am test-driving it, and I still
can't use my *ever* E-Mail address.

I know I can insert in Eudora.ini a Reply-to field, but I can't avoid field
From: to be sent with one E-Mail address I don't want there.

Sorry for the long message, just to explain you kinda "outfit" I'm looking
for. BTW: I fell you're changing posting attitude. For better!
--
Angelo Lopes da Silva
ang...@soon.com

NoS...@this.is.invalid

Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:12:55 +0000, in <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows>,
ang...@soon.com wrote:

[snip]

> Jay, can you please mention some free E-Mail accounts which can be
> accessed using standard POP3/SMTP client, where I can use the address I
> want in the From: field?

[snip]

Using any of the popular search engines with the keywords "Free E-Mail",
"POP3" and "SMTP" should produce more hits than you could possibly need. As
for your specific desire to use a bogus "From" address, that is another
issue. And given that your use of such an account would be for E-Mail
_only_ (as opponed to E-Mail _and_ Usenet), I really see no problem in using
the service provider's domain name if need be. If you can't live with that,
get your own domain.

-- Jay T. Blocksom
----------------------------
Appropriate Technology, Inc.
approtek[at]rcn.com

NOTE: E-Mail address in "From:" line is INVALID! Use address in signature.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this E-Mail address is expressly prohibited
under USC Title 47, Section 227. Violators are subject to charge of up to
$1,500 per incident or treble actual costs, whichever is greater.

NoS...@this.is.invalid

Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
On 16 Feb 2000 03:44:56 GMT, in <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows>,
dani...@iadfw.net (Daniel Jacobson) wrote:

[snip]

> FYI:
> PC World Online November 1999: - No Passwords Required
> <http://www1.pcworld.com/current_issue/article/0,1212,12942,00.html>

[snip]

As Arte Johnson would say: Verrrrrry interesting!

ang...@soon.com

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 13:33:24 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

>Using any of the popular search engines with the keywords "Free E-Mail",
>"POP3" and "SMTP" should produce more hits than you could possibly need.

I did it before. They return soooo many hits. None fulfil my needs

>As for your specific desire to use a bogus "From" address, that is another
>issue.

I _don't_want_ to use a bogus "From". As you know, I don't even forge my
E-Mail address with nospam, "X" inserts or whatever. You did not read what I
wrote, or I didn't make myself clear.

>..., I really see no problem in using the service provider's domain name if need be.

There is a problem:
1. My _ever_ E-Mail address is ang...@soon.com. I can forward E-Mail sent to
_this_ address to any server as needed. If I use another service provider's
domain name, and /tomorrow/ I switch, I will not receive E-Mail sent.
2. When I receive an E-Mail with Return Receipt and I click (accept) Notify
Sender, Eudora places the confirmation E-Mail in my Outbox. When I send
it, Eudora does not fill the "From" field. Please take a look at the
attachment. This causing the 501 Bogus Mail I spoke

That's why I have in Eudora.ini /ExtraHeaders=Reply-To:ang...@soon.com/
I was looking for a provider who didn't force me to use angelo@serviceprovider
but till now I didn't find such a provider (being free).

Please, Jay: Do you know any command I may use in Eudora.ini that won't send
"From" field? Thank you Very Much.

{fws}

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 13:33:24 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:12:55 +0000, in <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows>,
>ang...@soon.com wrote:
> >
> [snip]
>

> > Jay, can you please mention some free E-Mail accounts which can be
> > accessed using standard POP3/SMTP client, where I can use the address I
> > want in the From: field?
> >
> [snip]
>

>Using any of the popular search engines with the keywords "Free E-Mail",

>"POP3" and "SMTP" should produce more hits than you could possibly need. As

>for your specific desire to use a bogus "From" address, that is another

>issue. And given that your use of such an account would be for E-Mail
>_only_ (as opponed to E-Mail _and_ Usenet), I really see no problem in using
>the service provider's domain name if need be. If you can't live with that,
>get your own domain.
>
>-- Jay T. Blocksom

You'll find a listing of many free Web Mail, POP3/SMTP & forwarders at:
http://www.emailaddresses.com/
--
Frank Skutsch, WA2JCX

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne,
Th' assay so hard, so sharpe the conquering."
The Parliamnet of Fowles --Chaucer

My address is valid through the date in it.

{fws}

WebWalker

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00

Regards,

WebWalker

webw...@eudoramail.com
PGP public key ID : 0x72C73F6E

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. -- Charles Darwin

ang...@soon.com

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:34:28 +0800, WebWalker <webw...@eudoramail.com>
wrote:

>Please stop posting attachment.
>This is not a binaries newsgroup.

I did not know you OWN this NG. No one else is SO aggressive
when someone sends an attachment. I would deserve your
comment _if_ I was a *backsliding*, AM I CORRECT?

When I subscribed to this NG, I post a question:
"What are the rules for this group". DID YOU ANSWER ME?
I got eleven follow-ups. ZERO from you! Just see:

/The "comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows" newsgroup would be open to/
/discussions about the configuration, use and administration of/
/QUALCOMM's Eudora email software for computers using the/
/MS-Windows operating system/.

It was the FIRST time I posted an attachment. I saw _no_ other way
to show, at the same time, the error message and Eudora's Task Errors
Window. I _did_ limit the image to the smallest possible size, and
optimize it with Ulead SmartSaver. Did you see it?

For me this is a bug, Eudora not filling *From:* field. (From: <>)
It was intended to be seen by Qualcomm's guys

What for do you spend so much bandwidth with your PGP signature,
signature, etc.? *Anybody* with a slight general knowledge know
Darwin's words, where I _actually_ find an huge contradiction
with your posting attitude.

You don't want to spend time downloading an attachment,
and then you spend time posting and E-Mailing me???
SHUT UP! Or start a public collection to buy a bigger HD,
or just a keyboard where Del Key is the Space Bar!

NoS...@this.is.invalid

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 01:00:17 +0000, in <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows>,
ang...@soon.com wrote:

[snip]

> I _don't_want_ to use a bogus "From". As you know, I don't even forge my

> E-Mail address with nospam, "X" inserts or whatever. You did not read
> what I wrote, or I didn't make myself clear.

[snip]

If the domain portion of the address in the "From:" header is not that of
the mail service, then it _is_ "bogus" from the SMTP server's point of view.
That is not to say that _all_ SMTP servers will refuse such messages; but
many (especially those not run by retail ISPs) do, and for good reason.

> There is a problem:
> 1. My _ever_ E-Mail address is ang...@soon.com. I can forward E-Mail sent

> to _this_ address to any server as needed. If I use another service
> provider's domain name, and /tomorrow/ I switch, I will not receive
> E-Mail sent.

[snip]

Nothing is stopping you from forwarding from the freebie service to whatever
other service you choose. Many/most such services offer auto-forwarding as
a standard feature, even; so you need not donload/re-upload the messages
(even "silently") to implement this. If you subsequently change "free"
services, just keep the old one going for a month or so, with an
auto-responder set to inform correspondents ofthe new address (and this
could still _also_ forward their message to you at the new address).

> 2. When I receive an E-Mail with Return Receipt and I click (accept)
> Notify Sender, Eudora places the confirmation E-Mail in my Outbox. When I

> send it, Eudora does not fill the "From" field. Please take a look at the
> attachment. This causing the 501 Bogus Mail I spoke

[snip]

This sounds, offhand, like a misconfiguration issue. But since I have not
encountered such misbehavior, I cannot offer a specific cure.

ang...@soon.com

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 05:55:39 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

>Nothing is stopping you from forwarding from the freebie service to whatever
>other service you choose.

This is not relevant, but ang...@soon.com was not a free E-Mail address.
Although I could have chosen a free one, I _bought_ this email address long
ago from iName (now Mail.com), because I like it, it's short, it's easy...

If I switch provider, I can forward E-Mail sent to ang...@soon.com to the new
SMTP/ POP3 server. No doubt here.

>If you subsequently change "free" services, just keep the old one going for a
>month or so, with an auto-responder set to inform correspondents ofthe new

>address.

Correspondents that E-Mail me seldom, won't receive the auto-respond message.
If they add to their address book angelo_or_whatever@my_then_previous_server
inscribed in the From: field, I will not receive their E-Mail when they E-Mail
me. This is why I was looking for a SMTP/ POP that wouldn't "force" me to
have @itsemailserver name in {or on??? :-)} the From: field, do you
understand?

> > 2. When I receive an E-Mail with Return Receipt and I click (accept)
> > Notify Sender, Eudora places the confirmation E-Mail in my Outbox. When I
> > send it, Eudora does not fill the "From" field. Please take a look at the
> > attachment. This causing the 501 Bogus Mail I spoke
> >
> [snip]
>
>This sounds, offhand, like a misconfiguration issue. But since I have not
>encountered such misbehavior, I cannot offer a specific cure.

I believe you have a free web based account for experiment purposes. Please
create a Personality for this account. Then send an E-Mail to yourself
with Return Receipt request (clicking the RR button). When you Check E-Mail
for this account, open the message you sent to yourself (not preview pane),
and then close it. You'll see a dialog box asking if you want to notify
sender. Click "Now". Check E-Mail again, and you will see the 501 Bogus error
message I disclose in the attachment WebWalker was so mad about.
Do you encounter now the misbehavior? Can this be a misconfiguration?
Do you know any possibility to overstep Eudora's ?error? From: <> (null)?

Regards,

NoS...@this.is.invalid

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:57:13 +0000, in <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows>,
ang...@soon.com wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:34:28 +0800, WebWalker <webw...@eudoramail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Please stop posting attachment.
> >This is not a binaries newsgroup.
> >
> I did not know you OWN this NG. No one else is SO aggressive
> when someone sends an attachment.
[snip]

Irrelevant.

WebWalker is absolutely correct. Binary attachments do not belong here.
And misplaced binaries are cancellable on sight.

In fact, I only neglected to mention it to you in my earlier f'up because
the attachment itself did NOT appear on my server, having (apparently) been
(mercifully, and quite correctly) filtered out of the feed before it got to
me.

> I would deserve your
> comment _if_ I was a *backsliding*, AM I CORRECT?

[snip]

His comment was _extremely_ restrained. You have no grounds to complain
about it.

ang...@soon.com

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 01:38:27 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

>WebWalker is absolutely correct. Binary attachments do not belong here.
>And misplaced binaries are cancellable on sight.

As you know, I arrived to newsgroups via Cnet in January = newbie
(Which, of course, is irrelevant for you.)

I had _no idea_ about the dos and donts for newsgroups
(Which, of course, is irrelevant for you.)

Because I _play_by_the_rules, I post a question:

"What are the rules for this group".

DID YOU OR ANYBODY SAY ME NO BINARY ATTACHMENTS?
I saw other posts w/ bin attachments and I also send one, that's all.

People in this NG teached me so many things: How to post, links to NG
etiquette, rules for snipping, follow-ups top or bottom...

For me it would be easy to upload the attachment to a server and link to it!
If I did send the attachment it is your and other frequent posters in this NG
fault. /Share what you know. Learn what you don't./

>In fact, I only neglected to mention it to you in my earlier f'up because
>the attachment itself did NOT appear on my server, having (apparently) been
>(mercifully, and quite correctly) filtered out of the feed before it got to
>me.

How do you say "neglected" if you didn't know it happened?
You only wrote this paragraph to show your Literaire skills
Please spare bandwidth, will you?

>His comment was _extremely_ restrained.

Yes it was.

>You have no grounds to complain about it.

That's why I write now, loud and clear
*My apologies WebWalker for sending the bin*
*and getting crazy about your comment*

My apologies also to others in this NG

Please understand that _nobody_ is omnisapient

NoS...@this.is.invalid

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:34:25 +0000, in <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows>,
ang...@soon.com wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 05:55:39 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:
>
> >Nothing is stopping you from forwarding from the freebie service to
> >whatever other service you choose.

[snip]

> If I switch provider, I can forward E-Mail sent to ang...@soon.com to the

> new SMTP/ POP3 server. No doubt here.

[snip]

And vice versa, which is more what I had in mind originally. You then
respond from "wherever" the mail was forwarded to.

> Correspondents that E-Mail me seldom, won't receive the auto-respond
> message.

[snip]

You could -- and I presume, would -- send out a general "change of address"
message. The auto-forwarding is just a fail-safe, to catch whomever you
might inadvertently miss.

> I believe you have a free web based account for experiment purposes.

[snip]

You believe incorrectly. I won't go anywhere near "web mail".

NoS...@this.is.invalid

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 19:43:33 +0000, in <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows>,
ang...@soon.com wrote:

[snip]

> As you know, I arrived to newsgroups via Cnet in January = newbie
> (Which, of course, is irrelevant for you.)

[snip]

Why would I know that?

> I had _no idea_ about the dos and donts for newsgroups
> (Which, of course, is irrelevant for you.)

[snip]

So did you read the introductory material posted regularly in such groups as
<news.announce.newusers> and <news.newusers.questions> (both of which are
"subscribed by defaut" in virtually all newsreaders when you first run
them)?

> Because I _play_by_the_rules, I post a question:
> "What are the rules for this group".
> DID YOU OR ANYBODY SAY ME NO BINARY ATTACHMENTS?

[snip]

No. Nor should we have to. This is not the place for "Usenet 101" lessons.
And all you need do to know that binaries are not appropriate here is to
look at the name of the NG -- do you see the word "binaries"?

> >In fact, I only neglected to mention it to you in my earlier f'up
> >because the attachment itself did NOT appear on my server, having
> >(apparently) been (mercifully, and quite correctly) filtered out of the
> >feed before it got to me.
> >
> How do you say "neglected" if you didn't know it happened?

[snip]

_Of_course_ I knew it happened! First, the header on the part of your post
which _did_ show up was:

Re: Time out error 10060 - 501bogus.jpg (0/1)

which clearly indicates that a binary follows.

Secondly, you _said_ so right in the post:

"Please take a look at the attachment. This causing the 501 Bogus Mail I
spoke"

> You only wrote this paragraph to show your Literaire skills

> Please spare bandwidth, will you?

[snip]

You shouldn't ASSume so much.

{fws}

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

You truly are a Jay: "any of various usu. crested and largely blue birds that
with the common Old World Jay constitute a subfamily of the crow family, have
roving habits and harsh voices, . . . 2 a : an impertinent chatterer..."
(Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Ninth Edition.

--
Frank, WA2JCX

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne,
Th' assay so hard, so sharpe the conquering."
The Parliamnet of Fowles --Chaucer

{fws}

Frank Skutsch, WA2JCX

All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R.Tolkien

Please_reply_to frank at skutsch dot com
Netscape Answers: http://www.uFAQ.org http://HELP.netscape.com

{fws}

Angelo Lopes da Silva

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
On Fri, 25 Feb 2000 00:11:27 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

>You believe incorrectly. I won't go anywhere near "web mail".

Unbelievable, Jay. It was the first time _ever_ I believe incorrectly in my
life! <g>

Now, my question:
Return Receipt is a "feature" I don't find useless.
I don't use it but some correspondents (usually Germans) do.
And, (why not?) I click Notify Sender, when I don't have time
or answer to email them in the next few days.
Eudora puts Reply From: <>
Do you know any way to change this behavior,
that causes me the 501 Bogus error?

NoS...@this.is.invalid

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 18:28:29 +0000, in <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows>, Angelo
Lopes da Silva <ang...@soon.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Now, my question:
> Return Receipt is a "feature" I don't find useless.
> I don't use it but some correspondents (usually Germans) do.
> And, (why not?) I click Notify Sender, when I don't have time
> or answer to email them in the next few days.
> Eudora puts Reply From: <>
> Do you know any way to change this behavior,
> that causes me the 501 Bogus error?

[snip]

Sorry, no. I've not encountered that problem. Offhand, it sounds like it
might be related to a misconfigured "Personality" -- but that's just a WAG.

-- Jay T. Blocksom
----------------------------
Appropriate Technology, Inc.
approtek[at]rcn.com

ang...@soon.com

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 06:49:39 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

>Sorry, no. I've not encountered that problem. Offhand, it sounds like it
>might be related to a misconfigured "Personality" -- but that's just a WAG.

Thanks. Personalities are not misconfigured. The only field I don't fill
is Default Domain because I don't address large numbers of messages
to users in the same domain.
Again, this only happens when I am using free mailops.com and/ or
yahoo.com E-Mail servers.
With my paid E-Mail server (and I am evaluating cancelling it if a free
E-Mail server will fullfill my needs) I don't get the error.
The only difference between them is that with my paid E-Mail server
I can use whatever "From" field I want, and with free I can only use
the E-Mail address @freeservice.
Fortunately I have the possibility to add "Reply to" in Eudora.ini and this
brings me no problems regarding sending/ receiving E-Mail trough
the free E-Mail servers. Thanks again Jay for your cooperation.

Note: I hope you understood me. Agent has a Spell checker but not a
Grammar checker. BTW, do have links for Grammar checking
software? I ask this to you and not to a Search Engine, because
I found you "don't play in Service". I mean all the links I saw you
advising are _never_ to sissy-software :-)
--

Angelo Lopes da Silva
ang...@soon.com

Porto, Portugal

NoS...@this.is.invalid

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 16:34:24 +0000, in <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows>,
ang...@soon.com wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 06:49:39 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:
>
> >Sorry, no. I've not encountered that problem. Offhand, it sounds like
> >it might be related to a misconfigured "Personality" -- but that's just
> >a WAG.
> >
> Thanks. Personalities are not misconfigured. The only field I don't fill
> is Default Domain because I don't address large numbers of messages
> to users in the same domain.
> Again, this only happens when I am using free mailops.com and/ or
> yahoo.com E-Mail servers.
[snip]

Note that I meant "misconfigured" in the sense of from the SMTP server's
point of view. "501" errors basically mean that the SMTP server didn't like
the syntax of a command it was given; and are often (usually?) caused by
attempting to send mail with a "From" header using a domain other than that
owned by the operator of the SMTP server.

> With my paid E-Mail server (and I am evaluating cancelling it if a free
> E-Mail server will fullfill my needs) I don't get the error.
> The only difference between them is that with my paid E-Mail server
> I can use whatever "From" field I want, and with free I can only use
> the E-Mail address @freeservice.

[snip]

Are you using all of these different mail services via the same dial-up? If
so, what you _might_ need is a "Make Personality" filter on all _incoming_
messages sent to you via one of the third-party services.

> Note: I hope you understood me. Agent has a Spell checker but not a
> Grammar checker. BTW, do have links for Grammar checking
> software? I ask this to you and not to a Search Engine, because
> I found you "don't play in Service". I mean all the links I saw you
> advising are _never_ to sissy-software :-)

[snip]

Well, I _thought_ I was following you -- up to that part, anyway. <~>

ang...@soon.com

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
Off topic: "My" news server strike or closed for holydays on
March 6, 2000. I'm replying to an old f'up and copying/ pasting
from Deja... :-(
OF COURSE Agent is set-up to get everything, no killing, no purging.
I even check the box "Agent always records any gaps in the list of messages
that it has retrieved, so that it can check for new messages in the gaps the
next time it retrieves new headers."!
Again, why the hell didn't I get those messages?
Jay, do you think it's possible for me to connect to another news server
through my ISP? Will it be worth trying? Can you give a News server name?

On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 06:49:39 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

>Sorry, no. I've not encountered that problem. Offhand, it sounds like it
>might be related to a misconfigured "Personality" -- but that's just a WAG.

Please do me a favor. Email me anything (e.g. abc) with Return Receipt
checked, so that I can test it _not_ with myself, will you?
Thanks

Rick

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00

ang...@soon.com wrote:

Angelo, here are some servers that are free, along with other free stuff. Hope
it helps, some. http://ats.it/free/secco/servers.htm
Let me know when you get it. If I don't hear from you, I'll send it again.

Rick

--
Just because you're paranoid,
doesn't mean no one is after you

NoS...@this.is.invalid

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
[Posted & Mailed]

On Tue, 07 Mar 2000 23:28:00 +0000, in <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows>,
ang...@soon.com wrote:

[snip]

> Again, why the hell didn't I get those messages?

[snip]

I'm not sure what you are referring to, since this is the _second_ time you
followed-up to the same post. The first was:

Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 16:34:24 +0000

> Jay, do you think it's possible for me to connect to another news server
> through my ISP? Will it be worth trying? Can you give a News server
> name?

[snip]

You certainly ought to be able to connect to many such. The value of (at
least most) of the "free" ones is debatable at best... Most do not allow
posting; and most of the others do so only because the news admin erred in
setting up the server (an error which is corrected pronto as soon as the
word gets out that the server is available, and the hordes start hitting
it).

Alternatively, you might want to check out some of the commercial
third-party NNTP servers... GigaNews, SuperNews, RemarQ, etc.

> Please do me a favor. Email me anything (e.g. abc) with Return Receipt
> checked, so that I can test it _not_ with myself, will you?

[snip]

I'll start by CC:-ing a copy of this post to you.

ang...@soon.com

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 10:15:54 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

> > Please do me a favor. Email me anything (e.g. abc) with Return Receipt
> > checked, so that I can test it _not_ with myself, will you?
> [snip]
>
>I'll start by CC:-ing a copy of this post to you.
>
>-- Jay T. Blocksom

No chance. Eudora is placing the "notification" in the Outbox, but does not
send it. Reason (Task Error):
Can't send to ". The server gives this reason: '550 relaying mail to rcn.com
is not allowed'.

This message is slightly different from the one I got when I was connecting
through a free ISP:
There as been an error transferring your mail. I said: MAIL FROM:<> and
then the SMTP server (mail.mailops.com) said: 501 Bogus Mail from

Some time ago, my problem _was_ when I closed a message with Return Receipt
request, I got the error EUDORA caused an invalid page fault in module
KERNEL32.DLL.

Then I read in a follow-up ep4xto42.exe being 5,438,851 bytes. The one I
downloaded July 4, 1999 was 5,338,570. I downloaded it, it was 5,439,851
although my version keep being 4.2.0.58, install and Eudora stop crashing.

Return Receipt is not _so_ important. I'll cancel the notifications.
Thanks for your cooperation trying to help me get rid of this :-)

--
Angelo Lopes da Silva

angelo[AT]soon.com
Porto, Portugal

NoS...@this.is.invalid

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 00:35:44 +0000, in <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows>,
ang...@soon.com wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 10:15:54 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

[snip]

> >I'll start by CC:-ing a copy of this post to you.
> >
> >-- Jay T. Blocksom
>
> No chance. Eudora is placing the "notification" in the Outbox, but does
> not send it. Reason (Task Error):
> Can't send to ". The server gives this reason: '550 relaying mail to
> rcn.com is not allowed'.

[snip]

Huh?!? What are you talking about?

The message in question (which I CC:-ed to you from Free Agent) did _not_
inlcude a Return Receipt request.

Are you saying you can't reply to my E-Mail address using Eudora? (I
believe you have already done so.)

re...@news.group

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:45:22 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

> > No chance. Eudora is placing the "notification" in the Outbox, but does
> > not send it. Reason (Task Error):
> > Can't send to ". The server gives this reason: '550 relaying mail to
> > rcn.com is not allowed'.
> >
> [snip]
>
>Huh?!? What are you talking about?

I'm talking about your E-Mail At 06:16 11/03/2000 with return-receipt
enabled, and I'm doing it _here_ because we where discussing
this issue in the newsgroup.

>Are you saying you can't reply to my E-Mail address using Eudora? (I
>believe you have already done so.)

I didn't say _that_ (I can't reply).
I wrote: /Eudora is placing the "notification" in the Outbox, but does

not send it. Reason (Task Error):
Can't send to ". The server gives this reason: '550 relaying mail to

rcn.com is not allowed'./

This is quite different from replying
--
ALS
Porto

NoS...@this.is.invalid

Mar 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/18/00
On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 22:52:41 +0000, in <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows>,
re...@news.group wrote:

[snip]

> I didn't say _that_ (I can't reply).
> I wrote: /Eudora is placing the "notification" in the Outbox, but does
> not send it. Reason (Task Error):
> Can't send to ". The server gives this reason: '550 relaying mail to
> rcn.com is not allowed'./

[snip]

Ahhh... OK, that is another matter -- and one that I'm afraid I can't be
much help on. One suggestion: Look at the raw data in the OUT.MBX file, to
see if perhaps Eudora is malforming the "From:" header -- that's usually the
root of "Relay Denied" errors.

Angelo Lopes

Mar 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/18/00
On Sat, 18 Mar 2000 05:01:55 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

>Ahhh... OK, that is another matter -- and one that I'm afraid I can't be
>much help on. One suggestion: Look at the raw data in the OUT.MBX file, to
>see if perhaps Eudora is malforming the "From:" header -- that's usually the
>root of "Relay Denied" errors.

And what can I do so that Eudora will not malform headers, please?
--
ALS - Porto, Portugal

Motorsports - The use of competitive, fast, motorized vehicles
to determine who has balls, who has brains, and who has both.

NoS...@this.is.invalid

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
On Sat, 18 Mar 2000 12:13:17 +0000, in <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows>, Angelo
Lopes <ang...@soon.com> wrote:

[snip]

> And what can I do so that Eudora will not malform headers, please?

[snip]

Well, first, determine if that is really what is happening. If so, then the
_way_ in which it is "malformed" will hopefully give us a clue as to where
to look next.

Angelo Lopes

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:33:24 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

>If so, then the _way_ in which it is "malformed" will hopefully give us
>a clue as to where to look next.

ha ha ha. The guy got Pretty Park.exe virus you know? A message with

Subject: C:\CoolProgs\Pretty Park.exe

Test: Pretty Park.exe :)

He received lots of claims because he was sending out an E-Mail with a virus.

It's great to have Outsuck Exhale. He called me for help. I went there and I
said: I HAVE TO FDISK & FORMAT YOUR HDD. NO OTHER CHANCE! <~>

he he he. He didn't even have backups (Well little bit more work for me)

I couldn't convince him not to install Outhouse Excuse :-(, because he is a
stone&steel hard head like me, you know :-), but I did E-Mail the spreadsheet
to myself, and when I came home, I check E-Mail and the spreadsheet was
correctly decoded. Well, we'll never know what was wrong with his OE setup.

Please read my todays other f'up and shed me a little bit more light -- Thanks

Angelo Lopes

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:33:24 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:

> > And what can I do so that Eudora will not malform headers, please?
> [snip]
>

>Well, first, determine if that is really what is happening. If so, then the

>_way_ in which it is "malformed" will hopefully give us a clue as to where
>to look next.

When I check mail with Eudora, it "reads" the downloaded file(s), puts the
headers and E-Mail text in my inbox as a new message(s), decodes the
attachments (if any) and puts them in the (previously) selected folder.
At least this is the way I think it works. If I'm correct, things are
_transparent_ for me, I can't interfere.

From you words, I infer: You download a file from the E-Mail server, (maybe
leaving it on server), and you can prompt> type filename.??? to CRT display
the file. Because when I prompt> type in.mbx | more, I see:

From: blah blah blah (headers)
</x-html> (note this particular guy uses styled)

Attachment Converted: "C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora
Mail\Attach\Tab06_2000.xls"

You can get the files without being uncoded, can't you? How? :-)

Angelo Lopes

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:15:34 +0000, Angelo Lopes <ang...@mailops.com> wrote:

>You can get the files without being uncoded, can't you? How? :-)

Sorry, I meant You can get the files without being _decoded_, can't you?
How, please?

Ajo Wissink

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:14:45 +0000, Angelo Lopes <ang...@mailops.com>
wrote:

>ha ha ha. The guy got Pretty Park.exe virus you know? A message with
>
>Subject: C:\CoolProgs\Pretty Park.exe
>
>Test: Pretty Park.exe :)
>
>He received lots of claims because he was sending out an E-Mail with a virus.
>
>It's great to have Outsuck Exhale. He called me for help. I went there and I
>said: I HAVE TO FDISK & FORMAT YOUR HDD. NO OTHER CHANCE! <~>

You could have removed the virus by editing the registry.

BTW, I keep a copy of Pretty Park (renamed) on my computer in case I
want to check if my virus scanner is still working. LOL
--
Ajo

Angelo Lopes

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 19:30:12 GMT, Ajo Wissink
<awis...@nb.sympaticodotca> wrote:

>>Subject: C:\CoolProgs\Pretty Park.exe
>>
>>Test: Pretty Park.exe :)
>>
>>He received lots of claims because he was sending out an E-Mail with a virus.
>>
>>It's great to have Outsuck Exhale. He called me for help. I went there and I
>>said: I HAVE TO FDISK & FORMAT YOUR HDD. NO OTHER CHANCE! <~>
>>

>You could have removed the virus by editing the registry.

Yes, I know. I read it by McAfee. Thanks anyway, Ajo.
But _this_ guy, you know, gotta CLEAN his HDD he he he
I only installed OS and E-Mail (unfortunately not Eudora),
to re-test my problem with Excel attachments.
I believe he still is installing software, setting-up everything,
searching the LAN for his documents.
ME - BIG - FUN Hugh

>BTW, I keep a copy of Pretty Park (renamed) on my computer in case I
>want to check if my virus scanner is still working. LOL

Play with fire..., and you'll make *pipi* in your bed <grin>

NoS...@this.is.invalid

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:15:34 +0000, in <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows>, Angelo
Lopes <ang...@mailops.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:33:24 -0500, NoS...@This.is.invalid wrote:
>
> > > And what can I do so that Eudora will not malform headers, please?
> > [snip]
> >
> >Well, first, determine if that is really what is happening. If so, then

> >the _way_ in which it is "malformed" will hopefully give us a clue as to

> >where to look next.
> >

> When I check mail with Eudora, it "reads" the downloaded file(s), puts
> the headers and E-Mail text in my inbox as a new message(s), decodes the
> attachments (if any) and puts them in the (previously) selected folder.

[snip]

We weren't talking about _incoming_ mail. It was your OUT.MBX I suggested
you check.