New Settings for Eudora v.7.1.0.9/Windows 7

tru...@contracabal.eu

May 6, 2014, 8:24:28 AM5/6/14
I have been using Eudora since first launched by Qualcom and it now contains thousands of files; consequently, at age 81 I do not wish to change it to a new application.

I have had no problems with it until recently (at about the same time as Heartbleed) The smtp and pop settings have stopped working and I cannot send or receive messages.

Will someone please send to me the current Eudora smtp and pop SSL settings?

I am also having similar problems wit MailListKing which may or may not be connected.

Al Moodie

May 6, 2014, 8:41:40 AM5/6/14
The solution below disables SSL and then Eudora will work.

Incomming mail settings *****************************
Go to Tools: Personalities:.
Right Click on the Personality,
then choose Properties,
Incoming Mail.
Set the Secure Sockets when Receiving to NEVER

Outgoing mail settings *****************************
Go to Tools: Personalities:.
Right Click on the Personality,
then choose Properties,
Generic properties.
Set the Secure Sockets when Sending to NEVER

You have to do the above for each Personality you have

The downside of the above is that your username and password are sent
to the mailserver in clear text which means it can be read by a
snooper. I'm unsure how much of a risk this presents, but as yet I
have no other solution.

Al Moodie.

tru...@contracabal.eu

May 6, 2014, 2:06:25 PM5/6/14
I made the alterations that you suggested, but now receive an error message when trying to send:

530 5.7.1 Authentication Required.

Please how do I overcome this problem?
Message has been deleted

Ajo Wissink

May 6, 2014, 5:46:57 PM5/6/14
In your Personalty's Properties:

General Properties tab:
Check: Authentication allowed

Incoming Mail tab:
Check: Passwords

Paul Trummel

May 7, 2014, 4:56:52 AM5/7/14
> Did you tick the box that said "Use Authentication" ?

Yes, but to no avail

Paul Trummel

May 7, 2014, 4:58:28 AM5/7/14
Done, but to no avail.

Ajo Wissink

May 7, 2014, 5:38:15 AM5/7/14
On Tue, 6 May 2014 05:24:28 -0700 (PDT), tru...@contracabal.eu wrote:

>Will someone please send to me the current Eudora smtp and pop SSL settings?
>
>I am also having similar problems wit MailListKing which may or may not be connected.

Until now the replies to your post have been shots in the dark, not
enough information having been supplied by you.

The settings in Eudora are the ones particular to the service you are
getting your mail from. Which one is it and have you recently got
instructions on how to configure your email client?

Paul Trummel

May 7, 2014, 3:27:11 PM5/7/14
I have been using the same settings for years without any problems.
Fastmail is the service provider that I have been using for the same period.

Could it be a problem with server certificates that were reissued after Heartbleed?
Are more servers using SSL which Eudora does not appear to facilitate?

Ajo Wissink

May 7, 2014, 5:33:40 PM5/7/14
On Wed, 7 May 2014 12:27:11 -0700 (PDT), Paul Trummel
<tru...@contracabal.eu> wrote:

>I have been using the same settings for years without any problems.
>Fastmail is the service provider that I have been using for the same period.

There is your problem.

On the Eudora mailing list was this thread:

**************************

Charles E. Varner:

>At 10:12 AM 4/8/2014:
>>For approx. the last 12 hours, I've been unable to send or receive mail
>>through Eudora. Each time I try, I receive a pop-up headed Server SSL
>>Certificate Rejected.

Katrina Kniight:

You haven't included enough information to diagnose your problem under
normal circumstances, but looking at your address, I happen to know
what the problem is. Fastmail implemented new SSL certificates last
night. You need to tell Eudora to add the new certificate to the list
of trusted certificates. In the personalities window, right-click on
the personality and select "properties" Go to the "incoming mail" tab.
Click on the "last SSL info" button at the bottom. Click on the
"certificate manager" button. The certificate in question should come
up selected. If there is a + button next to it, click on that. Repeat
if necessary until you get to the bottom level. Select that
certificate then click on the button to add it to the trusted
certificates. That should solve the problem.

***************************

>Could it be a problem with server certificates that were reissued after Heartbleed?

Yes

>Are more servers using SSL which Eudora does not appear to facilitate?

Most services are now using SSL and are no longer using the standard
ports. Those non standard ports are used automatically by Eudora when
you select "Required, Alternate Port. Eudora 7.1.0.9 works fine where
SSL is concerned.

Paul Trummel

May 8, 2014, 7:33:09 AM5/8/14
I understand what you have said and set the Authentication Style to:

Passwords
Required, Alternate Port

However, when I click on Last SSL info I get the error message:

"You have never done any SSL negotiation with any personality since the last time you started Eudora"

Because of the error message I am unable to complete the certification instructions:

"Go to the "incoming mail" tab. Click on the "last SSL info" button at the bottom. Click on the "certificate manager" button. The certificate in question should come up selected. If there is a + button next to it, click on that. Repeat if necessary until you get to the bottom level. Select that certificate then click on the button to add it to the trusted certificates. That should solve the problem."

"Most services are now using SSL and are no longer using the standard ports. Those non standard ports are used automatically by Eudora when you select "Required, Alternate Port. Eudora 7.1.0.9 works fine where
SSL is concerned."

Please, where do I go from here?

Ajo Wissink

May 8, 2014, 10:19:23 AM5/8/14
You have to try to download mail first, even without success, before
you can access the certificate manager.

Ajo

Paul Trummel

May 8, 2014, 6:16:52 PM5/8/14
A combination of all the suggestions worked and I am now back in business.

Thank you for your time and valuable help.
Message has been deleted

davidst...@sky.com

Apr 7, 2017, 6:50:11 AM4/7/17
I started having a problem when AVG "upgraded" their program several nights ago. I used to be able to set ports to make a proxy server, but AVG no longer has any option to set ports according to their technical department.
I cannot get the certificate manager to open, even after trying to download mail. All I can get is the "You have not had a conversation" message.
Can anyone help, please?

Ajo Wissink

Apr 7, 2017, 3:54:37 PM4/7/17
On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 03:50:10 -0700 (PDT), davidst...@sky.com wrote:

>I started having a problem when AVG "upgraded" their program several nights ago. I used to be able to set ports to make a proxy server, but AVG no longer has any option to set ports according to their technical department.

It is not necessary to have an AV application check email when using
Eudora. Eudora separates attachments from the text and eventual
viruses will be found when those files are written to disk.

>I cannot get the certificate manager to open, even after trying to download mail. All I can get is the "You have not had a conversation" message.
>Can anyone help, please?

The correct text is "You have never done any SSL negociation....."

Do you click the "Incoming Mail" tab before clicking "Last SSL Info"?

Ajo Wissink

davidst...@sky.com

Apr 7, 2017, 6:07:17 PM4/7/17
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 8:54:37 PM UTC+1, Ajo Wissink wrote:
I don't know how to stop AVG checking everything incoming, Ajo. Yes, I did check mail both by the automatic checks when the program is opened and by pressing Ctl-M.
David

Ajo Wissink

Apr 8, 2017, 11:36:18 AM4/8/17
On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 15:07:16 -0700 (PDT), davidst...@sky.com wrote:

>I don't know how to stop AVG checking everything incoming, Ajo. Yes, I did check mail both by the automatic checks when the program is opened and by pressing Ctl-M.
>David

David, there are multiple versions of AVG and they may look
differently. When I click on my AVG I see:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nlf712gszb2sum/AVG.JPG?dl=0

Email scanning is the fourth item. When I click on it I see:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzbsfm9c4e862gs/AVG2.JPG?dl=0

There is a sliding button at the bottom that turns the scanning on or
off.

hth

Ajo Wissink

davidst...@sky.com

Apr 9, 2017, 7:18:11 PM4/9/17
All I get on my AVG "Device Settings" is the ability to choose whether my desktop is a desktop or a laptop, Ajo. None of the previous menus are available with the latest version.
David

davidst...@sky.com

Apr 17, 2017, 5:56:31 PM4/17/17
I found a way to disable AVG and check Eudora again, Ajo. I still got a 10061 error.
David