How do I uninstall Eudora 7

Al Moodie

Apr 19, 2016, 10:33:53 AM4/19/16

My version of Eudora 7 on Win 7 has become corrupted. It refuses to
start, complains that it cannot open ANY .pce files in any of the data
folders.

I can temporarily fix this by running the DOS program ICACLS at the
command prompt (resets file permissions). Eudora will run for a little
while before I have to run ICACLS again, so I have decided to
reinstall the program.

At the moment ALL files, including data are installed in the
directory c:\Program Files MyCompatabilty\Qualcomm\Eudora.

What file types do I have to preserve to enable a new installation to
pick up all my old data, settings, etc .mbx, .toc, eudora.ini, what
else.

I can find no unistall executable for Eudora, do I uninstall it using
Windows.

Do I need to reinstall it in Compatabilty Mode.

Al Moodie

Micky

Apr 19, 2016, 11:04:48 AM4/19/16
On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 10:33:53 -0400, Al Moodie <nos...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My version of Eudora 7 on Win 7 has become corrupted. It refuses to
>start, complains that it cannot open ANY .pce files in any of the data
>folders.
>
>I can temporarily fix this by running the DOS program ICACLS at the
>command prompt (resets file permissions). Eudora will run for a little
>while before I have to run ICACLS again, so I have decided to
>reinstall the program.
>
>At the moment ALL files, including data are installed in the
>directory c:\Program Files MyCompatabilty\Qualcomm\Eudora.

Well that is certainly your problem. I'm surprised you're able to run
at all.

"Program Files" on Windows Vista and later is a protected directory,
and every file in it is protected. Though you can use Win Explorer
etc. to copy a file to the directory, other programs are not able to
update files there. Your Eudora is not corrupted.

You need to take everything n the data directory of Eudora, keep it in
a directory named Data or EudoraData or Eudora, and move the whole
folder to some place not protected, like C:\Data or C:\ProgramData,
and redo your shortcut to include a second parameter that gives the
fully qualified location of the data, and then you'll be fine.

Separating your data from your program files like this also makes
backing up a little simpler.

>What file types do I have to preserve to enable a new installation to
>pick up all my old data, settings, etc .mbx, .toc, eudora.ini, what
>else.

Move everything in the Data subdirectory.

If you ever do reinstall Eudora, and in 20 years of constant use,
other than when moving to another computer, I never have, you can do
so right over the current location and it won't change your data,
though of course everyone says to back up data before doing things
like this.

>I can find no unistall executable for Eudora, do I uninstall it using
>Windows.

I don't see any point to uninstalling.

>Do I need to reinstall it in Compatabilty Mode.

No.

>Al Moodie

Micky

Apr 19, 2016, 12:33:54 PM4/19/16
On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 11:04:46 -0400, Micky
<NONONObobb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>You need to take everything n the data directory of Eudora, keep it in
>a directory named Data or EudoraData or Eudora, and move the whole
>folder to some place not protected, like C:\Data or C:\ProgramData,
>and redo your shortcut to include a second parameter that gives the
>fully qualified location of the data, and then you'll be fine.

Better put: Take everything in the data directory of Eudora and move
it to some place not protected, like C:\Data\Eudora\ or
C:\ProgramData\Eudora\, or even C:\Eudora\

and redo your shortcut to include a second parameter that gives the
fully qualified location of the data, and then you'll be fine.

FTR, you can also put your program files some place other than
C:\Program Files\. I don't like spaces so I use C:\Programs\. Maybe
there is an advantage to the first one but I don't know what it is.
When Windows compiles a list of programs, like for What program do you
want to use to open this file?, it finds all my programs including the
ones in the alternate place. To use an alternate place, you usually
have to choose Custom Install, when it asks, but sometimes it doesn't
give that choice and the program ends up in Program Files. But I
know which ones are where, and if I don't know it's not hard to find
one anyhow.

>>Do I need to reinstall it in Compatabilty Mode.
>
>No.

Better put: you don't need Compaitbility Mode for Eudora.

>>Al Moodie

Al Moodie

Apr 20, 2016, 8:40:04 AM4/20/16
On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 11:04:46 -0400, Micky
<NONONObobb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Mickey, thanks for your exhausive replies, much appreciated. I need
claification on one or two points

>"Program Files" on Windows Vista and later is a protected directory,
>and every file in it is protected. Though you can use Win Explorer
>etc. to copy a file to the directory, other programs are not able to
>update files there. Your Eudora is not corrupted.

None of my Eudora files are in the "Program Files" directory, they are
in "Program Files MyCompatability", is that a protected directory also

>You need to take everything n the data directory of Eudora, keep it in
>a directory named Data or EudoraData or Eudora, and move the whole
>folder to some place not protected, like C:\Data or C:\ProgramData,
>and redo your shortcut to include a second parameter that gives the
>fully qualified location of the data, and then you'll be fine.

I do not have a Eudora "Data Directory" ALL Eudora files are in
"Program Files MyCompatability\Qualcomm\Eudora

>Separating your data from your program files like this also makes
>backing up a little simpler.

Yes I would like to separate out my Eudora data files, but I do not
know WHICH files are data files - .mbx .toc eudora.ini, I understand
but what other files ?????

Al Moodie

Apr 20, 2016, 8:46:55 AM4/20/16
On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 12:33:53 -0400, Micky
<NONONObobb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 11:04:46 -0400, Micky
><NONONObobb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>You need to take everything n the data directory of Eudora, keep it in
>>a directory named Data or EudoraData or Eudora, and move the whole
>>folder to some place not protected, like C:\Data or C:\ProgramData,
>>and redo your shortcut to include a second parameter that gives the
>>fully qualified location of the data, and then you'll be fine.
>
>Better put: Take everything in the data directory of Eudora and move
>it to some place not protected, like C:\Data\Eudora\ or
>C:\ProgramData\Eudora\, or even C:\Eudora\

As Above I ask again, which fles constitute Eudora data files, I do
not know, can you help

>and redo your shortcut to include a second parameter that gives the
>fully qualified location of the data, and then you'll be fine.
>
>FTR, you can also put your program files some place other than
>C:\Program Files\. I don't like spaces so I use C:\Programs\. Maybe
>there is an advantage to the first one but I don't know what it is.
>When Windows compiles a list of programs, like for What program do you
>want to use to open this file?, it finds all my programs including the
>ones in the alternate place. To use an alternate place, you usually
>have to choose Custom Install, when it asks, but sometimes it doesn't
>give that choice and the program ends up in Program Files. But I
>know which ones are where, and if I don't know it's not hard to find
>one anyhow.
>
>>>Do I need to reinstall it in Compatabilty Mode.
>>
>>No.
>
>Better put: you don't need Compaitbility Mode for Eudora.
>
>>>Al Moodie

If I don't need Compatability Mode for Eudora, then should I be moving
my Eudora files (executable, etc, not data files) to a directory other
than "Program Files MyCompatability",

My Eudora worked for 2 years with ALL files in "Program Files
MyCompatability\Qualcomm\Eudora", I suspect it was a MS upgrade to Win
7 that caused this permissions problem.

Thanks again for your comprehensive help.

Al Moodie.

Micky

Apr 20, 2016, 12:37:49 PM4/20/16
>On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 11:04:46 -0400, Micky
><NONONObobb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Mickey, thanks for your exhausive replies, much appreciated. I need
>claification on one or two points
>>
>>"Program Files" on Windows Vista and later is a protected directory,
>>and every file in it is protected. Though you can use Win Explorer
>>etc. to copy a file to the directory, other programs are not able to
>>update files there. Your Eudora is not corrupted.
>
>None of my Eudora files are in the "Program Files" directory, they are
>in "Program Files MyCompatability",

Oh yeah. I looked back at your post and realized I stopped looking
after the first two words. This is one reason I hate spaces. (Also,
in elementary school, I was bullied by a space.)

>>is that a protected directory also

Not that I know of, unless there is a rule about starting with the
name of another one.

>>You need to take everything n the data directory of Eudora, keep it in
>>a directory named Data or EudoraData or Eudora, and move the whole
>>folder to some place not protected, like C:\Data or C:\ProgramData,
>>and redo your shortcut to include a second parameter that gives the
>>fully qualified location of the data, and then you'll be fine.
>
>I do not have a Eudora "Data Directory" ALL Eudora files are in
>"Program Files MyCompatability\Qualcomm\Eudora
>

>>Separating your data from your program files like this also makes
>>backing up a little simpler.
>
>Yes I would like to separate out my Eudora data files, but I do not
>know WHICH files are data files - .mbx .toc eudora.ini, I understand
>but what other files ?????

Oh yeah, now I think I remember that it's possible to have all the
data in the root directory. It's been 15 or 20 years since I did
that.

If you sort all the files in the eudora root dir. by date, anything
with date later than 2006 is data.

And the subdirectories Attach, embedded, eudpriv (which I think is
not used anymore), filters, link history, nicnames, plugins, search
(probably not used), sigs, spools, stationery, are data, except the 3
emoticons, extrastuff, and rootcerts.

And not the 3 emoticons, extrastuff, rootcerts, because those never
change.

Micky

Apr 20, 2016, 12:42:25 PM4/20/16
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My version of Eudora 7 on Win 7 has become corrupted. It refuses to
>start, complains that it cannot open ANY .pce files in any of the data
>folders.

Can't open for update, or can't open at all?

Can't open the filter window, or can't save changes?

>I can temporarily fix this by running the DOS program ICACLS at the
>command prompt (resets file permissions). Eudora will run for a little
>while before I have to run ICACLS again, so I have decided to
>reinstall the program.

I don't know too much about permissions.

>At the moment ALL files, including data are installed in the
>directory c:\Program Files MyCompatabilty\Qualcomm\Eudora.

So if you're updating your mailboxes, I guess it's not protected.

>What file types do I have to preserve to enable a new installation to
>pick up all my old data, settings, etc .mbx, .toc, eudora.ini, what
>else.
>
>I can find no unistall executable for Eudora, do I uninstall it using
>Windows.

Like I say, I've never done that in 20 years, but I guess the answer
is yes.

>Do I need to reinstall it in Compatabilty Mode.

I never did that. (I barely know what it is) In fact when I moved
from xp to vista, I just copied the files in. I didn't install them
at all for a few days, until I wanted mailto links in the webbrower to
call up Eudora, and one way to make that work is to install Eudora.

>Al Moodie

Al Moodie

Apr 20, 2016, 4:05:50 PM4/20/16
Here's what I did:

1) Copied the contents of my Eudora folder to a new directory on my C:
drive and named C:Eudora (original huh)
This folder contains ALL Eudora files, executable, data, dll,
everything.
Made no difference, Eudora still will not run, complains it does not
have permission to open .pce files.
Ran ICACLS to reset ALL permissions in ALL files and sub folders,
ICACLS *.* /T /grant :r Alistair:F
Eudora will run once but then fails.

2) Tried running as Administrator, makes no difference

3) Tried running in Compatabilty Mode, makes no difference

4) Eventually noticed that ICACLS was unable to change permissions on
Eudora crash dump files:
EudoraCrashDum.dmp.001, etc
Deleted ALL Eudora crash dump files

Now for the last 30 minutes Eudora opens just fine, can't get it to
fail. So the solution seems to be the Crash Dump Files

However I do note that I am unable to delete 2 other Eudora
directories I created by copying the original, sounds like a Win 7
permission problem, I dont know

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Al Moodie.

Ajo Wissink

Apr 20, 2016, 4:34:36 PM4/20/16
On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 08:40:03 -0400, Al Moodie <nos...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Yes I would like to separate out my Eudora data files, but I do not
>know WHICH files are data files - .mbx .toc eudora.ini, I understand
>but what other files ?????

There is an easy way to separate the data files from the program
files. You have to uninstall Eudora via Control Panel. That will only
remove the program files and will leave your data files untouched.
It's really not necessary, but safer, to make a backup of the whole
thing before you do it. Then run the installer again and choose 2
different locations for the program directory and the data directory.
Make sure that the data directory is not in Program Files.

Ajo Wissink

ClamRake

Apr 21, 2016, 3:26:55 PM4/21/16
Al Moodie

There is relatively easy way to get your answer to what files are
needed in your "data Directory" But note that you will NOT have all
the same files that I do or anyone else might. You will have the same
basic files with the same basic file names. But most of us do not
keep a list of what those are.

So you asked a very reasonable question. But one that does not have
an easy answer to us to give.

The way to go about getting ready to do Eudora with separate data
files is to let Eudora make the basic needed files for you in an
example new data directory.

to do that create a directory that you want to use for the data
directory. Ideally place it in a partition other than the OS
partition. But you may not know how to handle partitions or have a
partitioned main hard drive. So you can skip this separate partition
for now and come back to it later.

Your directory needs to be located where is will NOT be automatically
protected by the OS. MS OS's Vista & beyond seem to protect the
program files directory. So you don't want to put your data files
there.

For your Eudora email data files: Pick something like
C:\AAA\email\"my email name"\
Point Eudora to that location and Eudora will open and ask you to make
an email account. Follow that procedures. And Eudora will make the
basic necessary files for an account. later you can move the relevant
data files to your new email data directory. People here can guide
you as to which files from your current email setup should also need
to be copied or moved into the new data directory.

Pointing Eudora is done using an OS shortcut. If you do not know how
to point Eudora to the data directory, let me know. basically you
make a link to the Eudora program directory. Then edit the link to
include the location of the data directory you've made.

hth
ClamRake

ClamRake

Apr 21, 2016, 3:39:39 PM4/21/16
Al Moodie

From items in your other posts in this thread.

Uninstall via the control panel -add-remove programs-
If that doesn't work, you would need to do a manual uninstall. or
"put your life in the hands of an unistaller program like REVO.

Are you sure you have not run into W7 library issues?

Moving exe files does NOT guaranteed that the program will work as
expected.

Yes permissions for miscel files can mess up Eudora. But it is also
not clear that your move did not also just transfer previous
permissions.

So I suggest getting back to the simpler approach of making a data
directory for an example email account. And then when that works you
can just clone what you did to handle all your emails.

For most of this you can handle files, permissions etc with a good
file handler like Total Commander. But you can also do a lot of
damage really fast if you are not careful.

Lots of details...aren't there... .

regards
ClamRake