Eudora 7.1.0.9 rejecting Server SSL Certificates

er...@ericalbert.net

Apr 8, 2014, 4:23:20 PM4/8/14
Suddenly, my copy of Eudora 7.1.0.9, Paid Mode (running under Windows
XP) is giving me an error message whenever I try to check my messages.
(Details at end of this message.) I've been using Eudora with FastMail for
years, and it was working fine yesterday. This problem is bringing my
day to a standstill, so I'd appreciate how to fix this.

I've tried clicking "yes" to accept the certificate for future sessions,
and done some Googling for solutions (like going into the Properties
window of my Eudora Personalities), but nothing has helped so far.
Suggestions? Thanks!

-- Eric

Eudora's error message in the regular window at the bottom of the
screen:
= = = = =
Fastmail, Logging into POP Server, [02:54:25 pm]
SSL Negotiation Failed: Unknown Error The connection with the
servers has been lost. Cause: (200)
= = = = =

Eudora's pop-up error window title:
Server SSL Certificate Rejected

Eudora's pop-up error window contents:
= = = = =
The server's SSL Certificate was rejected for the following reason:

Unknown error

Do you want to trust this certificate in future sessions?
= = = = =

The certificate itself, in the pop-up error window:
Certificate:
Version: 3 (0x2)
Serial Number:
01:fd:a3:eb:6e:ca:75:c8:88:43:8b:72:4b:cf:bc:91
Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
Issuer: C=US, O=DigiCert Inc, OU=www.digicert.com, CN=DigiCert
Global Root CA
Validity
Not Before: Mar 8 12:00:00 2013 GMT
Not After : Mar 8 12:00:00 2023 GMT
Subject: C=US, O=DigiCert Inc, CN=DigiCert SHA2 Secure Server CA
Subject Public Key Info:
Public Key Algorithm: rsaEncryption
RSA Public Key: (2048 bit)
Modulus (2048 bit):
00:dc:ae:58:90:4d:c1:c4:30:15:90:35:5b:6e:3c:
82:15:f5:2c:5c:bd:e3:db:ff:71:43:fa:64:25:80:
d4:ee:18:a2:4d:f0:66:d0:0a:73:6e:11:98:36:17:
64:af:37:9d:fd:fa:41:84:af:c7:af:8c:fe:1a:73:
4d:cf:33:97:90:a2:96:87:53:83:2b:b9:a6:75:48:
2d:1d:56:37:7b:da:31:32:1a:d7:ac:ab:06:f4:aa:
5d:4b:b7:47:46:dd:2a:93:c3:90:2e:79:80:80:ef:
13:04:6a:14:3b:b5:9b:92:be:c2:07:65:4e:fc:da:
fc:ff:7a:ae:dc:5c:7e:55:31:0c:e8:39:07:a4:d7:
be:2f:d3:0b:6a:d2:b1:df:5f:fe:57:74:53:3b:35:
80:dd:ae:8e:44:98:b3:9f:0e:d3:da:e0:d7:f4:6b:
29:ab:44:a7:4b:58:84:6d:92:4b:81:c3:da:73:8b:
12:97:48:90:04:45:75:1a:dd:37:31:97:92:e8:cd:
54:0d:3b:e4:c1:3f:39:5e:2e:b8:f3:5c:7e:10:8e:
86:41:00:8d:45:66:47:b0:a1:65:ce:a0:aa:29:09:
4e:f3:97:eb:e8:2e:ab:0f:72:a7:30:0e:fa:c7:f4:
fd:14:77:c3:a4:5b:28:57:c2:b3:f9:82:fd:b7:45:
58:9b
Exponent: 65537 (0x10001)
X509v3 extensions:
X509v3 Basic Constraints: critical
CA:TRUE, pathlen:0
X509v3 Key Usage: critical
Digital Signature, Certificate Sign, CRL Sign
Authority Information Access:
OCSP - URI:http://ocsp.digicert.com

X509v3 CRL Distribution Points:
URI:http://crl3.digicert.com/DigiCertGlobalRootCA.crl
URI:http://crl4.digicert.com/DigiCertGlobalRootCA.crl

X509v3 Certificate Policies:
Policy: 2.5.29.32.0
CPS: https://www.digicert.com/CPS

X509v3 Subject Key Identifier:
0F:80:61:1C:82:31:61:D5:2F:28:E7:8D:46:38:B4:2C:E1:C6:D9:E2
X509v3 Authority Key Identifier:
keyid:03:DE:50:35:56:D1:4C:BB:66:F0:A3:E2:1B:1B:C3:97:B2:3D:D1:55

Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
23:3e:df:4b:d2:31:42:a5:b6:7e:42:5c:1a:44:cc:69:d1:68:
b4:5d:4b:e0:04:21:6c:4b:e2:6d:cc:b1:e0:97:8f:a6:53:09:
cd:aa:2a:65:e5:39:4f:1e:83:a5:6e:5c:98:a2:24:26:e6:fb:
a1:ed:93:c7:2e:02:c6:4d:4a:bf:b0:42:df:78:da:b3:a8:f9:
6d:ff:21:85:53:36:60:4c:76:ce:ec:38:dc:d6:51:80:f0:c5:
d6:e5:d4:4d:27:64:ab:9b:c7:3e:71:fb:48:97:b8:33:6d:c9:
13:07:ee:96:a2:1b:18:15:f6:5c:4c:40:ed:b3:c2:ec:ff:71:
c1:e3:47:ff:d4:b9:00:b4:37:42:da:20:c9:ea:6e:8a:ee:14:
06:ae:7d:a2:59:98:88:a8:1b:6f:2d:f4:f2:c9:14:5f:26:cf:
2c:8d:7e:ed:37:c0:a9:d5:39:b9:82:bf:19:0c:ea:34:af:00:
21:68:f8:ad:73:e2:c9:32:da:38:25:0b:55:d3:9a:1d:f0:68:
86:ed:2e:41:34:ef:7c:a5:50:1d:bf:3a:f9:d3:c1:08:0c:e6:
ed:1e:8a:58:25:e4:b8:77:ad:2d:6e:f5:52:dd:b4:74:8f:ab:
49:2e:9d:3b:93:34:28:1f:78:ce:94:ea:c7:bd:d3:c9:6d:1c:
de:5c:32:f3
--- End Update ---

Ajo Wissink

Apr 8, 2014, 4:53:51 PM4/8/14
On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 13:23:20 -0700 (PDT), er...@ericalbert.net wrote:

>Suddenly, my copy of Eudora 7.1.0.9, Paid Mode (running under Windows
>XP) is giving me an error message whenever I try to check my messages.
>(Details at end of this message.) I've been using Eudora with FastMail for
>years, and it was working fine yesterday. This problem is bringing my
>day to a standstill, so I'd appreciate how to fix this.
>
>I've tried clicking "yes" to accept the certificate for future sessions,
>and done some Googling for solutions (like going into the Properties
>window of my Eudora Personalities), but nothing has helped so far.
>Suggestions? Thanks!
>
>-- Eric

I saw this on the Eudora mailing list today:

At 10:12 AM 4/8/2014 Charles E. Varner wrote:
For approx. the last 12 hours, I've been unable to send or receive
mail
through Eudora. Each time I try, I receive a pop-up headed Server SSL
Certificate Rejected.

Reply by Katrina Knight:

You haven't included enough information to diagnose your problem under
normal circumstances, but looking at your address, I happen to know
what the problem is. Fastmail implemented new SSL certificates last
night. You need to tell Eudora to add the new certificate to the list
of trusted certificates. In the personalities window, right-click on
the personality and select "properties" Go to the "incoming mail" tab.
Click on the "last SSL info" button at the bottom. Click on the
"certificate manager" button. The certificate in question should come
up selected. If there is a + button next to it, click on that. Repeat
if necessary until you get to the bottom level. Select that
certificate then click on the button to add it to the trusted
certificates. That should solve the problem.

er...@ericalbert.net

Apr 8, 2014, 5:00:11 PM4/8/14
> I saw this on the Eudora mailing list today:
>

> At 10:12 AM 4/8/2014 Charles E. Varner wrote:
>
> For approx. the last 12 hours, I've been unable to send or receive
>
> mail
>
> through Eudora. Each time I try, I receive a pop-up headed Server SSL
>
> Certificate Rejected.
>

> Reply by Katrina Knight:
>

> You haven't included enough information to diagnose your problem under
>
> normal circumstances, but looking at your address, I happen to know
>
> what the problem is. Fastmail implemented new SSL certificates last
>
> night. You need to tell Eudora to add the new certificate to the list
>
> of trusted certificates. In the personalities window, right-click on
>
> the personality and select "properties" Go to the "incoming mail" tab.
>
> Click on the "last SSL info" button at the bottom. Click on the
>
> "certificate manager" button. The certificate in question should come
>
> up selected. If there is a + button next to it, click on that. Repeat
>
> if necessary until you get to the bottom level. Select that
>
> certificate then click on the button to add it to the trusted
>
> certificates. That should solve the problem.

THAT DID IT! Thanks so much!

-- Eric

mirrormere

May 8, 2014, 3:42:01 PM5/8/14
I'm having the same problem, but clicking 'Last SSL Info' brings up this message: "You have never done any SSL negotiation with any personality since the last time you started Eudora"

Help!
http://compgroups.net/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/

Ajo Wissink

May 8, 2014, 4:11:06 PM5/8/14
You have to try downloading mail first before you can access the
manager.

pedro

May 22, 2014, 6:22:37 AM5/22/14
Ajo, I just had the same problem as O/P. What I found was that the
suggested remedy had no impact UNTIL I used the "Import Certificate"
function.

avg...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2014, 6:35:59 PM11/14/14
Thanks for your help, I followed the instructions posted here but I could not make Eudora work. In my version of Eudora there is a slight difference, I have to go to click the tab "View certificate details" and then there is a pop-up windows called "certificate". There I get the option "install". I did that and there is a certificate import wizard that does the job automatically. I did all that, it told me the operation was successful but I cannot still use Eudora. My feeling is that for a reason I ignore it keeps using the previous certificate, and I do not know how to avoid that.

Andrés

Ajo Wissink

Nov 14, 2014, 6:44:28 PM11/14/14
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 15:35:59 -0800 (PST), avg...@gmail.com wrote:

>Thanks for your help, I followed the instructions posted here but I could not make Eudora work. In my version of Eudora there is a slight difference,

Which version of Eudora are you using?

dallas...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2014, 3:27:40 PM11/18/14
On Tuesday, 8 April 2014 13:23:20 UTC-7, er...@ericalbert.net wrote:
> Suddenly, my copy of Eudora 7.1.0.9, Paid Mode (running under Windows
> XP) is giving me an error message whenever I try to check my messages.
> (Details at end of this message.) I've been using Eudora with FastMail for
> years, and it was working fine yesterday. This problem is bringing my
> day to a standstill, so I'd appreciate how to fix this.

Same problem here, different ISP -- any suggestions?

dallas...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2014, 3:41:26 PM11/18/14
Later: 7.1.0.9 -- after "trusting" a ton of certs I sort of got it working. At least to the point where it just said connection failed. After that, I turned off SSL, and now I can send/receive. I'm not sure of the implications of turning off SSL, though?

Ajo Wissink

Nov 18, 2014, 3:49:42 PM11/18/14
On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 12:27:39 -0800 (PST), dallas...@gmail.com
wrote:
Didn't Katrina's instructions, quoted in this thread, work for you?

You may have to repeat the same procedure several times, depending on
the number of certificates involved. It is not unusual having to do
that 3 or 4 times. Even 7 times has been reported.

Each time do a mail check first, or try to send a message. Then work
with the certificate manager as indicated. When you are at the bottom
select that certificate and add it to trusted. Then you have to OK
several windows to quit the manager. Don't just close those windows.

Ajo Wissink

Nov 18, 2014, 3:59:43 PM11/18/14
On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 12:41:25 -0800 (PST), dallas...@gmail.com
wrote:
Turning SSL off may work for a while, but eventually you will have to
use it when the server decides that it will be required (as most
servers already do. I am using 10 different servers and all but one
require it).

Ajo Wissink

Nov 18, 2014, 4:11:25 PM11/18/14
wrote:

>after "trusting" a ton of certs I sort of got it working. At least to the point where it just said connection failed.

That error may have to do with the connection timing out due to
changes introduced by Microsoft in post XP operating systems.

If that is the case then when you do a mail check right away without
quitting Eudora it will work in seconds. That problem can be fixed by
replacing QCSSL.dll by a patched version.

Dallas Hinton

Nov 18, 2014, 4:13:52 PM11/18/14
Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, that fix didn't work for quite a while, but I finally got all the certs trusted and ok'd my way back to the main screen. Where can I find a patched qcssl.dll?

Ajo Wissink

Nov 18, 2014, 4:44:18 PM11/18/14
On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 13:13:51 -0800 (PST), Dallas Hinton
<dallas...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Where can I find a patched qcssl.dll?

It was available on the Qualcomm website until about one month ago,
but Qualcomm has pulled the plug on all that.

I have put it in my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbufua62y169ih3/QCSSL.dll?dl=0

The file to be replaced is in the Program directory.

Dallas Hinton

Nov 18, 2014, 4:52:43 PM11/18/14
Wonderful - that's most kind of you! I tried to hex edit, but couldn't find the string -- guess that proves I'm not a programmer! :-)

Much appreciated!

GFC3

Nov 20, 2014, 2:16:04 AM11/20/14
I followed Katrina's instructions. Thank you for this. Eventually cleared the problem. The little + sign is important. getting to the bottom one as the chain opens. I messed with it a couple of times. Including writing down the name at bottom of the chain. I think I highlighted and imported. When the problem kept happening I noticed there was now a different certificate name at the bottom of the + sign chain. Sorry my recall is dim, but I think I imported again. This time it worked. Problem started suddenly after years of Eudora. There was a little skull icon on the certificate text at the bottom of the + sign chain. I think I highlighted that whole skull text line. Yikes what does that skull icon mean? Eudora now downloading mail again is my result.
http://compgroups.net/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/

jrl...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2014, 2:50:43 PM11/22/14
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:53:51 PM UTC-4, Ajo Wissink wrote:
Worked for me with Eudora 7.1 on Win 8.
Note the tip below about first attempting a mail download.

Thanks Ajo and Katrina.

Roger

flathat66

Dec 10, 2014, 10:12:47 PM12/10/14
Eudora 7.0.1.0 under XP
There are two tabs in the initial Account Settings dialog, each with a "Last SSL Info" button. Problem certs can appear in either list, or both.

For me, using the Certificate Information Manager > View Cert Detail dialog, following the "Install Certificate ..." process until is says "Import Successful"
and then taking Certificate Information Manager > Add to Trusted
has gotten me from failed fetching and sending to both clean, but the latter only after attending to an expired cert in another personality; I don't know if that mattered. Before that, the Dominant personality complained about a failed cert but sent the post anyway.

flathat66

http://compgroups.net/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/

Norm Rubin

Dec 16, 2014, 2:52:26 PM12/16/14
I missed Ajo's post above, and I did the same thing -- uploaded an edited copy of the QCSSL.dll file into my Dropbox folder. Details at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/mCYd3uC3zXI/zE1v16WHhI4J .

Mark

Dec 20, 2014, 8:28:07 PM12/20/14
I have the same problem but it would seem with a variation. I have tried all the fixes I could find on this thread and none worked (although the QCSSL.dll patch did speed up response time - thanks!). My ISP is 'hosted' by Google and I am able to read my mail via Gmail but can not download/upload with Eudora. I have been using Eudora with Win7 for almost three years without a hitch (other than for the past few months the first download attempt would return an error message but second attempt went through fine) until last week I started experiencing the same problem as posters above. I am convinced that it is certificate rejection since after I replaced my C drive with an older ISO image when Eudora tried connecting it returned a certificate for acceptance. Once I accepted the certificate it worked fine, however, when I booted up the next day and tried to download my email the same problem returned and continues. Any ideas please?

Ajo Wissink

Dec 21, 2014, 3:04:06 PM12/21/14
As explained in this and other threads there may be more than one
certificate that needs to be trusted. If you have the Certificate
Information Manager open, the server certificate at the top should
have a smiley face next to it if it is trusted. If it is not you will
see a scull. If it is a scull, select it and click on Add To Trusted.
OK your may out and do another mail check. Open the Manager again and
that certificate should now have a smiley face. When you see a "+"
sign next to it click on it to open the next level of certificates. Do
the same there and continue until you are at the last one. You may
also have to do all this for sending mail.

Al M.

Jan 21, 2015, 9:59:40 PM1/21/15

Guys - you were a big help when I had this issue with XO Communications after their old Godaddy cert expired on January 16th.

I think I was close by getting the Certs to be trusted in eudora but then also had to do as others mentioned and install the certs. To do this you click on the cert and then you get a new window to install and you can take all the defaults. I had to install all the certs in the chain and then follow through as mentioned before and make sure that all the skulls were cleared in eudora with checking mail after each step and then --- winner winner!!!.
I was ready to throw in the towel but finding your conversation pushed me to keep tryiing. I know this thread may be dead, but if you all ever come back - It was much appreciated. Thanks.

On Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 12:04:06 PM UTC-8, Ajo Wissink wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 17:28:07 -0800 (PST), Mark

packe...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2015, 8:56:17 AM2/4/15
hi,

i ran into this issue today and i believe i've found the fix (another testament to how brilliantly eudora was coded back in the day)

these are the steps that have worked for me - your mileage may vary a tad.

1. optionally, move the usercerts.p7b in your eudora directory to somewhere else

2. as many have said, go to the cert through personalities, drill down to the
skull icon, or the smiley face icon and hit accept.

but here's the twist - the actual cert for the mail server wasn't shown until i installed the top level certs. (installing just the root certs doesn't help...it's the cert from your mail server that you need)

- export the skull icon cert in windows (this cert must be the one issued to your mail provider for that server / set of servers)
- launch mmc.exe and add the certificates snap-in by pressing ctrl M and choosing certificates (then choose for local computer)
- right click 'trusted root certificates' in the left pane, and choose import.
- specify the location of this new cert you previously exported
- you should get a popup from windows asking if the cert is indeed to be added to the store - choose yes.

now, if you load up eudora, it should all just work.

Thibaud Taudin Chabot

Feb 24, 2015, 11:03:47 AM2/24/15
packe...@gmail.com schreef op 4-2-2015 om 14:56:
works ok for me.
Thanks.

james...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2015, 12:50:12 PM2/28/15
How to Resolve Eudora Mail Problem with SSL Certificate

Once the error message appeared that the server SSL certificate is being rejected by Eudora, all you have to do is to follow the following steps:

Click "YES" to close the error window.
Launch Tools and select Options.
Choose the option called Checking Mail that is located at the left part of the menu.
You should see the entry saying "Secure Sockets When Receiving".
Look for the default setting "If Available STARTTLS".
Select Never on the drop-down menu.
Proceed to the Sending mail category located at the left potion of the menu.
Select Never from the "Secure Sockets When Sending" rather than "If Available STARTTLS".
Select OK to verify all the changes so you need to ensure at this point that everything is all set.

Given all these steps, you will know exactly what to do when you receive an error that the server SSL certificate rejected Eudora. These are easy to follow steps that will guarantee that the error will be eliminated. You just have to stay calm and follow all the instructions carefully to get the desired solution.

http://serversslcertificate.com/server-ssl-certificate-rejects-eudora/

Ajo Wissink

Feb 28, 2015, 2:16:41 PM2/28/15
That link points to the wrong solution and is also wrong when it says
that the server rejected Eudora's certificate. It is Eudora that
rejects the certificate presented by the server because it has not
been added to the trusted certificates in Eudora.

One solution is the one posted in that link, but that will work only
when the server gives you a choice. These days more and more servers
REQUIRE that you use SSL and if some servers don't do that now you can
count on it that they will do so in the future. Also, when you are
using Eudora without SSL you give up that level of protection.

The right and safe solution has been posted at the beginning of this
thread.

petas...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2015, 7:04:25 AM3/20/15

I have the same problem since yesterday.

Did you find a way to fix it?
I haven't so far, so any help would be appreciated,

thanks, Peter.

Juergen Kah

Mar 20, 2015, 7:27:45 AM3/20/15
petas...@gmail.com schrieb:
> Did you find a way to fix it?
> I haven't so far, so any help would be appreciated,

_where_ have you searched for the fix?
Have you read this complete (!) thread?

starting with message-id
<cf8180cd-c88c-49f6...@googlegroups.com>

you will find it via Google,too, so please search for
comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows Server SSL Certificates

Don't worry, you will find several more threads with description of fix
by using the search string above.

Juergen

petas...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2015, 7:35:21 AM3/20/15

> _where_ have you searched for the fix?
> Have you read this complete (!) thread?
>>
> you will find it via Google,too, so please search for
> comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows Server SSL Certificates
>
> Don't worry, you will find several more threads with description of fix
> by using the search string above.
>
> Juergen

Thank you, wow, what a quick reaction.
Indeed, Katrina's recipe above + repeating it several times worked in the end.
Thanks so much!

Peter.

phil...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2015, 4:57:33 PM3/21/15
Had the same problem could receive message but could not send
Follow this link it might help
http://www.its.hku.hk/faq/email/email-client/eduora/ssl-certificate-error

But the certificate that you want to import will be the first one under the information given Just hit the + signs till it goes no further click on link then add
Restart Eudora and it should work

Ajo Wissink

Mar 21, 2015, 9:59:03 PM3/21/15
Just read the entire thread. It is almost one year ago that Katrina
Knight posted the solution on the mailing list. Note that you don't
need to restart Eudora.

Katrina Knight:

To fix it, you're going to need to figure out which personality is
having the problem. Once you know that, open the personalities window,
right-click on the personality in question, and select "properties".
In the properties window, go to the "incoming mail" tab and click on
"last SSL info" then click on "certificate information manager". A
list of certificates will come up. At the top, under the title "server
certificates", will be whatever certificates Eudora has received for
that personality's POP server. You may see a "+" next to the
certificate shown there. Click on it, and continue clicking on the
"+"s until you have them all open. Certificates that Eudora trusts
have smily face icons. Untrusted certificates have skulls. You need to
click on the one that isn't trusted and tell Eudora to add it to the
list of trusted certificates. Once you've clicked on the "add to
trusted" button, click on the appropriate buttons to get out of the
properties. Do a mail check and see if it works. There may or may not
be additional certificates that you need to trust. It is common for
servers to have three or four levels of certificates, all of which
need to be trusted.

alan....@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2015, 1:30:34 PM3/24/15
I've been having this problem for the past week or so as well, and thanks to finding Katrina's solution here, have now managed to fix it. Thanks also to Ajo for posting it here.

Cheers for now, Alan.

kt cat

Mar 24, 2015, 3:30:17 PM3/24/15
This solution did not work for me though I tried both installing the certificate with the skull & crossbones icon AND adding it to Trusted multiple times, until I did the following change (see below for the extra step):

On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 6:59:03 PM UTC-7, Ajo Wissink wrote:

> Katrina Knight:
>
> To fix it, you're going to need to figure out which personality is
> having the problem. Once you know that, open the personalities window,
> right-click on the personality in question, and select "properties".
> In the properties window, go to the "incoming mail" tab

Under Secure Sockets when Receiving, I had set it to "Required, Alternate Port." It's been working this way for like most of a decade.

Once I changed it to "Required, STARTTLS" then it started working and my incoming mail finally started coming in.
Message has been deleted

katy...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2015, 5:17:23 PM3/24/15

> Under Secure Sockets when Receiving, I had set it to "Required, Alternate Port." It's been working this way for like most of a decade.
>
> Once I changed it to "Required, STARTTLS" then it started working and my incoming mail finally started coming in.

Also this did not affect the Incoming Port setting I want to keep - it is still set to 995 for my account which is set up as POP (with the old setting "Required, Alternate Port" and with the new setting "Required, STARTTLS"). Port 995 is a secure port.

You can see what port it's set to by clicking on the "Last SSL Info" button, and looking in the top right corner (very small print).

I haven't tested IMAP, but the secure incoming port for IMAP accounts would be 993.

zooveterin

Mar 24, 2015, 9:39:09 PM3/24/15
Thanks, the method of expanding the certification tree (with +) and ADD to TRUSTED every line, IT WORKED!

Thank you

BobStein

Mar 24, 2015, 9:39:38 PM3/24/15
Started happening today for me with gmail servers. @Katrina Knight is my hero, that procedure worked. The root server certificate (opening all +-signs) was for:

US, California, Mountain View, Google Inc, pop.gmail.com

Add to Trusted solved this problem for me. Big thanks to Eric for transcribing the error message so thoroughly.

305l...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2015, 9:07:25 AM4/17/15
Not sure if this is the correct way of placing a post as I am new to the forum.

I have today received the SSL Certificate error, but when trying all of the above stated fixes when I go to the Certificate Manager I get the following message and can go no further.

"You have never checked mail using an SSL connection with this personality since the last time you started Eudora. (or a negotiation is in progress with this personality)"

I have tried checking my incoming mail, re-booted the program (numerous times), done everything my limited IT knowledge can think of.

Has anyone any idea how to get around this problem. I do not want to lose hundreds of VERY important business e-mails that I have both sent and received over the past years.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

David

Juergen Kah

Apr 17, 2015, 9:53:56 AM4/17/15
305l...@gmail.com schrieb:
> Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Have you read (at least) my posting here in this thread
<meh07g$i2a$1...@news.albasani.net>

Is the error message really for the personality you are trying to check
the certificate? Please, try to read, understand and check little bit slow.

There is NO need to restart Eudora, not even once.

Juergen

Juergen Kah

Apr 17, 2015, 10:08:54 AM4/17/15
305l...@gmail.com schrieb:
> Not sure if this is the correct way of placing a post as I am new to the forum.

this is NO forum, this is a newsgroup. In a forum mostly you will have
to subscribe and sometimes you can edit own sent "postings", in a
newsgroup no subsribtion, no editing.

As you seems not to be familar with newsgroups / usenet, you can try to
search / read via browser.

google for
"comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows" SSL Certificates

just as I typed, so copy/paste. You will find many thread including this
one with mostly same solution, sometimes differ depending on provider
actions.
If you don't try to change any file in Eudora program or data directory
I think you will NOT loose any emails.

Eudora is little bit "old", so newer certificate mechanism are unknown
by Eudora, thus we have to "trust" sometimes (not always!) new
certificates created by the mail provider, especially when the people at
the provider don't know/think, what they are doing :-( But... we have to
read and know the sense, not only clicking here and there. Sometimes or
most often phone support of several providers is lousy when they hear we
are using Eudora ;-)

For the future my hint: try to save your data directory very often, at
least always twice on separate hard drives ;-)

Juergen

305l...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2015, 6:18:16 PM4/17/15
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 6:23:20 AM UTC+10, er...@ericalbert.net wrote:
> [...]
>
> Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
> 23:3e:df:4b:d2:31:42:a5:b6:7e:42:5c:1a:44:cc:69:d1:68:
> b4:5d:4b:e0:04:21:6c:4b:e2:6d:cc:b1:e0:97:8f:a6:53:09:
> cd:aa:2a:65:e5:39:4f:1e:83:a5:6e:5c:98:a2:24:26:e6:fb:
> a1:ed:93:c7:2e:02:c6:4d:4a:bf:b0:42:df:78:da:b3:a8:f9:
> 6d:ff:21:85:53:36:60:4c:76:ce:ec:38:dc:d6:51:80:f0:c5:
> d6:e5:d4:4d:27:64:ab:9b:c7:3e:71:fb:48:97:b8:33:6d:c9:
> 13:07:ee:96:a2:1b:18:15:f6:5c:4c:40:ed:b3:c2:ec:ff:71:
> c1:e3:47:ff:d4:b9:00:b4:37:42:da:20:c9:ea:6e:8a:ee:14:
> 06:ae:7d:a2:59:98:88:a8:1b:6f:2d:f4:f2:c9:14:5f:26:cf:
> 2c:8d:7e:ed:37:c0:a9:d5:39:b9:82:bf:19:0c:ea:34:af:00:
> 21:68:f8:ad:73:e2:c9:32:da:38:25:0b:55:d3:9a:1d:f0:68:
> 86:ed:2e:41:34:ef:7c:a5:50:1d:bf:3a:f9:d3:c1:08:0c:e6:
> ed:1e:8a:58:25:e4:b8:77:ad:2d:6e:f5:52:dd:b4:74:8f:ab:
> 49:2e:9d:3b:93:34:28:1f:78:ce:94:ea:c7:bd:d3:c9:6d:1c:

Thanks for your reply. I have read this entire thread and have tried a number of the suggestions given and I think that in doing so has caused me the latest problem I am experiencing.

When I first had the problem --- and it applies to all the personalities --- when I went into the Certificate Information Manager I could see all of the certificates. Then one of the posters suggested that he had gone to the certificate manager then clicked on "Add to Trusted" then hit OK a couple of times.

It was after doing this that when going to the Incoming Mail section in the Personalities and clicking on the "Last SSL" that I am getting the message that I quoted in my posting.

My basic process with Eudora when starting the program each day has always been that a dialogue box comes up individually for each of my five e-mail accounts, I enter the password (same one) for each of these and then the program goes and searches for and loads any new e-mail.

However since my problem started a couple of days ago, as soon as the program commences to search for the new e-mail I get the SSL Certificate error with a whole listing of computer talk (I have no idea what this all means, but I have seen a copy of a similar listing earlier in this whole conversation)for each of the personalities and at the bottom of the page appears a notice for each of the personalities that states --- Certificate bad. Destination host name does not match host name in certificate. But ignoring this error because Certificate is trusted. The connection with the server has been lost. Cause (200) ---

If you can give any advice/assistance it will be greatly appreciated and I agree my hosting company (Netregistry) although the support person tried, he knew nothing about Eudora and basically said that I should contact them (now somewhat difficult !!!). All he could really tell me was that the company had forgotten to renew the certificate licence (or something) and that they had corrected this situation on the same day as I experienced the problem BUT he stated that "I should have experienced no interuption or problem when the certificate was renewed".

I will have a look for a couple of forums to see if I can find anything.

Again, thanks for your assistance.

David

must...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2015, 9:53:39 PM4/24/15
David,

Did you find anything? My Eudora stopped working as well with the same error. I use Gmail. Very odd.

Joe

equ...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2015, 10:33:31 AM4/25/15
This also worked for me. New certificate appears to be the problem.

Russ

Ken Leidner

Apr 25, 2015, 2:37:33 PM4/25/15
Add me as a me too. Gmail stopped, all others OK.

Is it a bad SSL Certificate, or Eudora being old. If the SSL is bad, has
someone tols Gmail about it?

In article <0bf52d4c-6e17-4dec...@googlegroups.com>,
must...@gmail.com says...

Ajo Wissink

Apr 25, 2015, 4:14:09 PM4/25/15
On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 14:43:03 -0400, Ken Leidner
<y...@somehost.somedomain> wrote:

>Add me as a me too. Gmail stopped, all others OK.
>
>Is it a bad SSL Certificate, or Eudora being old. If the SSL is bad, has
>someone tols Gmail about it?

Because Eudora is old she doesn't automatically recognize the
authority that issued the certificate. Use the method described
multiple times in this and similar threads to add the "bad"
certificate to "Trusted".

davidbe...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2015, 1:00:21 PM4/26/15
Interestingly, I followed the suggested instructions to look for a non-smiley face in the list of certificates, didn't find any, but it solved the problem nonetheless.

Thank you.

jnlsv...@gmail.com

May 6, 2015, 6:39:09 AM5/6/15
Thank you very much
Juan L Vazquez, Madrid

luc.jan...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2015, 3:06:04 AM6/12/15
Op woensdag 6 mei 2015 12:39:09 UTC+2 schreef jnlsv...@gmail.com:
I had just the same problem , your solution at the top of the thread worked like a charm.
Tnx.
Luc Janssen , Belgium

fortn...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2015, 5:10:09 AM6/12/15
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 at 1:23:20 PM UTC-7, er...@ericalbert.net wrote:
> Suddenly, my copy of Eudora 7.1.0.9, Paid Mode (running under Windows
> XP) is giving me an error message whenever I try to check my messages.

It is now 14 months after this problem was discussed and I believe I have encountered the next step in this issue. All of the failure modes are identical to what we encountered last year but my provider (HostMonster) apparently loaded new certificates last night and installing them in Eudora does not fix the failure.

Is anyone else encountering this problem with the latest version of Certificates?

Where do we go to find someone with the Eudora background necessary to evaluate the issue?

Ajo Wissink

Jun 12, 2015, 6:05:42 AM6/12/15
Ask for help in the Eudora email list:

http://www.listmoms.net/eudora-win/

fortn...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2015, 2:11:39 AM6/13/15
A big Thank You to Ajo and Katrina. They have been right on.

The important point is to make sure you go all the way down the Certificate chain. The problem I was having was because the Certificate chain had six levels and all of them had to be added to the installation.

Eudora succeeded again to be the excellent product we all love. Once all levels of the multi-level Certificate were installed and labeled as Trusted, the problems all went away.

- JimF

alja...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2015, 11:58:54 AM6/17/15

Today, I successfully fixed my Eudora problems with incoming gmail using the advice given in this thread, installing all 4 levels within the "Server Certificates" list, which created a new 5th level ("US, California, Montain View, Google Inc, popgmail.com"), which has is "Valid from 6/3/15 to 8/31/15".

QUESTION: On 9/1/15, will I again have a problem downloading my gmail, and have to repeat the process of installing all 5 layers of certificates? or will an update of the certificate occur automatically? I recall seeing "automatically" during the installation process.

Musicmom

Jun 17, 2015, 12:15:26 PM6/17/15
On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 10:58:54 AM UTC-5, alja...@gmail.com wrote:
> Today, I successfully fixed my Eudora problems with incoming gmail using the advice given in this thread, installing all 4 levels within the "Server Certificates" list, which created a new 5th level ("US, California, Montain View, Google Inc, popgmail.com"), which has is "Valid from 6/3/15 to 8/31/15".
>
> QUESTION: On 9/1/15, will I again have a problem downloading my gmail, and have to repeat the process of installing all 5 layers of certificates? or will an update of the certificate occur automatically? I recall seeing "automatically" during the installation process.

I am also concerned about this. I too was able to fix the Eudora problem with incoming gmail (by the way, thanks fo all you smart people)but will most likely have to do something in the future.

fost...@gnt.net

Jun 17, 2015, 12:37:47 PM6/17/15
When trying to update the fourth level had a SKULL instead of a smiley face. ??

dwil...@cox.net

Jun 17, 2015, 1:11:13 PM6/17/15
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 at 3:23:20 PM UTC-5, er...@ericalbert.net wrote:
> Suddenly, my copy of Eudora 7.1.0.9, Paid Mode (running under Windows
> XP) is giving me an error message whenever I try to check my messages.
Had the same problem when Cox changed their security certificate. The only fix I could make work was to turn off the SSL option when sending. Not good but it worked.

Some suggested a full re-install but I am afraid to do that so I stuck with just that option. I was not able to do the Katrina Knight thing about accepting new SSL's. I did try to do an import but that did nothing for me.

Cox has no intention of doing anything further. It took them a couple of days to admit that they had changed anything, but the had indeed.

dwil...@cox.net

Jun 17, 2015, 1:14:02 PM6/17/15
No prior negotiation on one personality. I had to turn of SSL on both personalities to get my system back on line after Cox changed their certificate. Not what I want to but it works for now.

dwil...@cox.net

Jun 17, 2015, 1:19:40 PM6/17/15
On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 9:33:31 AM UTC-5, equ...@gmail.com wrote:
> This also worked for me. New certificate appears to be the problem.
>
> Russ

Nothing worked for me except to say no to the SSL option. I could not make the second personality to admit that it had negotiated in the past so there is no way to make it recognize a new SSL. There may be some suggestions on this extensive blog but I don't find them. Any suggestions appreciated. Some said to reinstall from scratch but that's not what I want to do.

dwil...@cox.net

Jun 17, 2015, 3:40:46 PM6/17/15
For a while I was able to click on the devil face of one final certificate and say to add it to accept, it was still the devil face, either after restarting Eudora or not. I tried all options but none made the bad certificate become acceptable.

I then turned off SSL and the systems are all working, but I would like to return to the SSL process if possible. After turning off the SSL I could no longer bring up any prior certificates to accept. I would like to find some easy way to get SSL working again. No Devil faces to accept . . . .

Ajo Wissink

Jun 18, 2015, 4:41:55 PM6/18/15
The problem is that Eudora will trust certificates only when they are
from known authorities. Regular updates until 2006 took care of that,
but since then some new authorities have published certificates and
those need to be added manually to the list of trusted ones. Once you
have done that you can expect that any newer certificates by the same
authority will be added automatically. Anyway, that's the theory
behind this.

guy...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2015, 2:51:12 AM6/21/15
I, too, am having issues with certificates. I've read through the posts and I've tried to do the suggested fixes. However, as with a couple of others, when I click on "Last SSL info" I get the message about "You have never sent mail using an SSL... blah, blah, blah. I've not read about how to access the SSL Certificate Manager using a different procedure... if there is one. Is there a way to access the certificate "tree" to look for the skull and crossbones icon?

Any suggestions will be appreciated, as I, too, have been using Eudora since the beginning, basically, and I've many GBs of emails. Temporarily, I hope, I've turned off the SSL on sending emails.

Ajo Wissink

Jun 21, 2015, 8:32:18 AM6/21/15
I think you didn't try to use that personality for sending a message.
Otherwise you would have been able to access the manager.

That can happen when you are using a relay personality for sending
mail. If that is the case you should use the relay personality to get
the last SSL info.

Take a look at what you have in Tools > Options > Sending Mail
Message has been deleted

alja...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2015, 4:02:06 PM6/24/15

I've continued to have problems reoccur with SSL certificates, seeming almost random in occurrence.

The problems sometimes included the error message "You have never sent mail using an SSL" after hitting the "Last SSL Info" button. I was able to eliminate that error message by (1) closing Eudora, then (2) attempting to download gmail, which failed, but allowed me to open the "Last SSL Info" button, then "Certificate Information Manager", then click through four layers of "Server Certificates", installing each layer (via the "View Certificate Details" button), with the 4th layer being the Skull/Crossbones.

I then (1) again closed Eudora, then (2) attempted to download gmail, which was successful.

I then went back into the "Server Certificates", where there were now five layers of certificates, none with Skulls/Crossbones. As I clicked down each of the 5 layers of certificates, I clicked on "Add to Trusted" for each of the 5 certificates, which may or may not have done anything.

The last (5th) layer had the following specifications:
Subject: US, California, Mountain View, Google Inc, pop.gmail.com
Issued by: US, Google Inc, Google Internet Authority G2
Valid From: Thursday, June 18, 2015 09:23:29
Valid To: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 00:00:00
Serial #: 3E36 5EB1 91D9 DC90
Thumbprint: 7FC7 465F 504E 2A84 6BE8 C64F 37B6 3452 34B8 BF77
* "SHA" (in a drop-down menu, which had other options, i.e. "MD2", "MD4", "MD5"

I didn't know how long Eudora will continue to download gmail before I again have problems with the SSL certificates; I'd gone through the above steps twice today.

NOT LONG: I just (1) closed Eudora then (2) attempted to download gmail, which was NOT successful. However, I was able to get to the "User Trusted Certificates" (in the "Certificate Information Manager"), where there was a list of 6 certificates (NOT layered), and after clicking on ONLY the last (6th) certificate then installing it (again), then I was able to successfully download gmail. The 6th certificate in the list had the same specs as the '3rd' layer certificate, which was visible after the successful download.

The specs for this 6th certificate are:
Subject: US, Google Inc, Google Internet Authority G2
Issued by: US, GeoTrust Inc., GeoTrust Global CA
Valid From: Friday, April 05, 2013 15:15:55
Valid To: Saturday, December 31, 2016 23:59:59
Serial #: 023A 76
Thumbprint: BBDC E13E 9D53 7A52 2991 5CB1 23C7 AAB0 A855 E798
* "SHA" (in a drop-down menu, which had other options, i.e. "MD2", "MD4", "MD5"

Every time I exist Eudora (so far) and then re-open it, the first attempt to download gmail fails, but the second attempt is working. However, this was happening for ~2months before I started having problems with the SSL certificates. Now I suspect that the need to attempt download twice was related to the SLL certificates, with the first attempt somehow prepping Eudora to successfully using the certificate(s) to properly download on the 2nd attempt.

NOTE: I also use Eudora to down email from charter.net, and when gmail gives the error message "You have never sent mail using an SSL" (after hitting the "Last SSL Info" button), I also get that same error message for my charter.net email after hitting the "Last SSL Info" button; HOWEVER, despite that error message, charter.net continues to download my email into Eudora, whereas gmail does not.
Message has been deleted

guy...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2015, 8:00:15 PM6/26/15
Busy week; sorry for the delay and thanks for your replies. I should have been more clear in my original message.

The email address showing here is not the email address I'm having SSL cert issues with. The email address that I'm having the SSL cert issues with is my primary email address; it's my domain name and it's the Dominant Personality email address in Eudora 7.1.0.9. I'm using the domain name server for my Incoming mail server and my ISP's outgoing server to send. It's not a relay. It's a set up that I've been using for about 16 years.

I have no issues receiving (retrieving) email with the Dominant Personality. It's sending email that prompts the message about the SSL cert and names not matching, etc. When I try to access the SSL Certificate Manager through the Dominant Personality (again, my primary email address), by clicking on properties, then clicking Last SSL info (on the Generic Properties tab and where SMTP info is), I get the message about never having sent email using SSL. The only thing I can do is click the "OK" button to close the message. Same message comes up when clicking on Last SSL info in the Incoming Mail tab (POP info). Also, the same message appears after clicking on Tools > Options > Sending Email.

Ajo Wissink

Jun 27, 2015, 10:47:20 AM6/27/15
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 21:12:19 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 13:02:05 -0700 (PDT), alja...@gmail.com declaimed the
>following:
>

>>Every time I exist Eudora (so far) and then re-open it, the first attempt to download gmail fails, but the second attempt is working. However, this was happening for ~2months before I started having problems with the SSL certificates. Now I suspect that the need to attempt download twice was related to the SLL certificates, with the first attempt somehow prepping Eudora to successfully using the certificate(s) to properly download on the 2nd attempt.

> This does not sound like a certificate problem. If you have not
>replaced/patched the SSL library what may be happening is that gmail is
>timing out waiting for Eudora to generate a session key and respond with
>it. By the time of the second check-mail, the session key has been
>generated and is available, allowing for Eudora to respond before gmail
>times out.

I think too that alja...@gmail.com needs to replace QCSSL.dll in the
program directory with the patch that I have uploaded to my dropbox
account and for which I have posted the link multiple times in this
newsgroup:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbufua62y169ih3/QCSSL.dll?dl=0

Ajo Wissink

Jun 27, 2015, 11:19:48 AM6/27/15
On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 17:00:14 -0700 (PDT), guy...@gmail.com wrote:

>Busy week; sorry for the delay and thanks for your replies. I should have been more clear in my original message.
>
>The email address showing here is not the email address I'm having SSL cert issues with. The email address that I'm having the SSL cert issues with is my primary email address; it's my domain name and it's the Dominant Personality email address in Eudora 7.1.0.9. I'm using the domain name server for my Incoming mail server and my ISP's outgoing server to send. It's not a relay. It's a set up that I've been using for about 16 years.
>
>I have no issues receiving (retrieving) email with the Dominant Personality. It's sending email that prompts the message about the SSL cert and names not matching, etc. When I try to access the SSL Certificate Manager through the Dominant Personality (again, my primary email address), by clicking on properties, then clicking Last SSL info (on the Generic Properties tab and where SMTP info is), I get the message about never having sent email using SSL. The only thing I can do is click the "OK" button to close the message. Same message comes up when clicking on Last SSL info in the Incoming Mail tab (POP info). Also, the same message appears after clicking on Tools > Options > Sending Email.

This thread started in April of last year, has now 51 posts and
contains all the information required to solve SSL problems. There is
also a lot of confusing and even complete wrong information.
I believe it's best to start a new thread where people needing help
will find solutions more quickly.

BobbyK

Jun 27, 2015, 12:31:49 PM6/27/15
And it solves the problem. The only problem may be in how one's
browser needs to accept it.

mister...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2015, 12:15:50 PM7/2/15
Following Katrina Knights suggestions I was able to get to the bottom Server Certificate (which has a Skull icon and points to Comcast's Address). When I click on "Add to Trusted" the program wont add the site to the trusted certficates. What should I do? (It appears that my virus protection software (Avast) is identifying the address as problematical.)

Ajo Wissink

Jul 2, 2015, 4:47:44 PM7/2/15
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 09:15:49 -0700 (PDT), mister...@gmail.com wrote:

>Following Katrina Knights suggestions I was able to get to the bottom Server Certificate (which has a Skull icon and points to Comcast's Address). When I click on "Add to Trusted" the program wont add the site to the trusted certficates. What should I do? (It appears that my virus protection software (Avast) is identifying the address as problematical.)

The certificate will be added to the trusted ones when you exit the
manager by clicking on done and on OK. Follow this up by doing a new
mail check. There may be more untrusted certificates. Repeat as often
as necessary.

richr...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2015, 5:45:14 PM7/2/15
My paid version of Eudora 7.1.0.9 64 bit developed the same issue this morning for the first time. Host name is different from...then says connection with server has been lost. What do I do?
Rich

wilh...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2015, 4:28:46 PM7/3/15
July 3, 2015...You guys are awesome. For my email I use Eudora and Windows 7, and Comcast.

I ran into the same problem as many of you had recently. On Wednesday of this week I could send and receive emails but on Thursday and could not send and I got the horrible message "SSL error."

I followed Katrina Knight's suggestions and, it took me a while, but I finally found the "Skull and Crossbones" that pointed to a Comcast Center certificate. I "added to trust" and clicked done.

My inability to send emails disappeared. Thanks to all of you.

richr...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2015, 3:03:06 AM7/4/15
Would you point me to Katrina's posting so that I can try to fix the problem with my Eudora? Thanks. Rich

Juergen Kah

Jul 4, 2015, 1:59:17 PM7/4/15
richr...@gmail.com schrieb:
> Would you point me to Katrina's posting so that I can try to fix the problem with my Eudora? Thanks.

it would be helpful for you when you read this complete thread (ONLY
this one) from start. You will learn and understand more about the
problem and how to fix. The problem could be (only could be) little more
complex depending on how are working with Eudora.

In this thread there are lots of hints.

Juergen

Ajo Wissink

Jul 4, 2015, 2:21:48 PM7/4/15
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 00:03:05 -0700 (PDT), richr...@gmail.com wrote:

>Would you point me to Katrina's posting so that I can try to fix the problem with my Eudora? Thanks. Rich

Katrina is not posting in this newsgroup, but everything she has
suggested to resolve certificate errors can be found here. However,
this particular thread also has some information which is wrong or
does not point to the easiest solution of the problem. In particular,
there is no need to *import* a certificate, there is no need to reboot
Eudora after "trusting" a new certificate. But you can get everything
straight "from the horse's mouth" by going to the Eudora-Win mailing
list where Katrina is one of the list moms".

http://www.listmoms.net/eudora-win/

color...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2015, 11:40:08 AM7/13/15
You are a genius! that solution solved my problem. Thanks!

iven...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2015, 11:55:19 AM7/15/15
Katrina Knight, You are a GENIOUS!
You saved my life!
I was already thinking I have been contaminated by any virus!

yam...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2015, 12:15:12 AM7/17/15
Here is what worked for me after several weeks searching about this...

1. Go to POP tab from the account that is having SSL error.

2. Open Last SSL Info.

3. Click Certificate Information Manager

4. Search for the item with a skull instead of smiley face (mine was last item inside "US, Equifax Secure Certificate Authority", where the skull last item had "US, California, Mountain View, Google Inc, pop.gmail.com"

5. Click and add to trusted, each of all the lines within until reach the skull guy. Nothing happens visually, but it looks like you are adding each item to the trusted, and only then, the skull 'happen' to be added.

6. Click Done. Ok. Then change 'secure sockets...' item on smtp tab to 'never', and on pop tab to 'Required, Alternate Port, and hit 'OK'.

7. Try check email now. It worked here \o/

ffl...@microcon.com

Jul 23, 2015, 9:53:57 AM7/23/15
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 at 3:53:51 PM UTC-5, Ajo Wissink wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 13:23:20 -0700 (PDT), er...@xxxxx.net wrote:
>
> >Suddenly, my copy of Eudora 7.1.0.9, Paid Mode (running under Windows
> >XP) is giving me an error message whenever I try to check my messages.
> >(Details at end of this message.) I've been using Eudora with FastMail for
> >years, and it was working fine yesterday. This problem is bringing my
> >day to a standstill, so I'd appreciate how to fix this.
> >
> >I've tried clicking "yes" to accept the certificate for future sessions,
> >and done some Googling for solutions (like going into the Properties
> >window of my Eudora Personalities), but nothing has helped so far.
> >Suggestions? Thanks!
> >
> >-- Eric
>
> I saw this on the Eudora mailing list today:
>
> At 10:12 AM 4/8/2014 Charles E. Varner wrote:
> For approx. the last 12 hours, I've been unable to send or receive
> mail
> through Eudora. Each time I try, I receive a pop-up headed Server SSL
> Certificate Rejected.
>

> Reply by Katrina Knight:
>
> You haven't included enough information to diagnose your problem under
> normal circumstances, but looking at your address, I happen to know
> what the problem is. Fastmail implemented new SSL certificates last
> night. You need to tell Eudora to add the new certificate to the list
> of trusted certificates. In the personalities window, right-click on
> the personality and select "properties" Go to the "incoming mail" tab.
> Click on the "last SSL info" button at the bottom. Click on the
> "certificate manager" button. The certificate in question should come
> up selected. If there is a + button next to it, click on that. Repeat
> if necessary until you get to the bottom level. Select that
> certificate then click on the button to add it to the trusted
> certificates. That should solve the problem.

Katrina, this was the exact solution for the same problem which started happening to me this morning. It's so amazing to Google search Eudora email problems and still get top notch answers. I would just add to your answer that I had to drill down 20 or 25 levels before getting to the bottom level certificate that was failing. It looked like it was recursive when I was drilling down at first, so you have to keep going way past what would appear to be normal. Thanks a million for your post!

sharontis...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2015, 12:32:36 PM7/23/15
------

From another Eudora user:

Hello! Thanks for the suggestion about the Devil face! I thought I couldn't click on it because it was gray, but I tried and -- voila! I'm back getting my email!!! THANKS!

Jack Gerber

Jul 23, 2015, 8:09:42 PM7/23/15
WOW! I went over many of the replies in this group and think I finally got Eudor working again. I vaguely remembered seeing this thread but not really paying much attention until Eudora conked out today. I tried several other programs including Eudora 8 and Thunderbird but either couldn't get them to work at all or the one program that did work was so horrible I just uninstalled it.

I just wanted to say a sincere thank you to those of you who took the time to help us out.

v1sa...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2015, 11:28:24 AM7/28/15
KATRINA SOLUTION IS RIGHT, BUT...HERE IS WHY IS CONFUSING:

There are variables in which the solution of adding the certificate to the trusting ones is not available:

in my case, for checking gmail addresses i had to:

1. in the address properties for Secure Socket I have to select REQUIRED, ALTERNATE PORT
2. Then, check the email to get the rejected certificate message and then select YES at the bottom to trust the certificate.
3. ONLY AFTER the previous steps, i could get to open the LAST SSL INFO which otherwise, does not work.
4. Then, I could see and click the CERTIFICATE INFORMATION MANAGER on the bottom
5. After that, you can start opening the + signs on the happy faces which show a chain of lines and + signs until i found the one with the Skull which, after clicking on, I could then select the "add it to trusted certificates" option at the bottom. Then everything worked.

Without steps 1 and 2 (in that order) the LAST SSL INFO tab in properties.. respond with an error message.

Thanks Katrina, Ajo and the Rest

pe...@beard.com

Jul 28, 2015, 5:52:55 PM7/28/15
-------

This procedure worked perfectly for me today to restart the flow of mail from Gmail to my Eudora set-up. Thanks!

wetewt...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2015, 11:00:23 PM7/28/15
Yes it work fine, but make sure you go to bottom of that certificate by press + until it end.

jo...@robinsonmotorsports.net

Jul 29, 2015, 10:55:11 AM7/29/15
Im a non techy type and had the same problem today, Katrina's post fixed my problem. Would have never figured it out myself as I don't even know what any of this means. Thanks!!

su...@prmcthailand.com

Jul 29, 2015, 11:46:40 AM7/29/15
I just got the problem today and had been searching for solution until I found this thread. I want to thank everyone here. Had been using Eudora since Win 3.1 days and had got along with it fine till now.

Have one question though. I kept clicking on the (+) sign until I reached the 'devil's face' and selected this last item which had "US, California, Mountain View, Google Inc, pop.gmail.com". Upon clicking on the details here it says:
Valid from: Thursday, July 23, 2015 15:38:38
Valid to: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 00:00:00

So now I wonder what will happen in the next few months.

rupi...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2015, 12:45:31 PM7/29/15
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 2:23:51 AM UTC+5:30, Ajo Wissink wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 13:23:20 -0700 (PDT), er...@ericalbert.net wrote:
>
> >Suddenly, my copy of Eudora 7.1.0.9, Paid Mode (running under Windows
> >XP) is giving me an error message whenever I try to check my messages.
> >(Details at end of this message.) I've been using Eudora with FastMail for
> >years, and it was working fine yesterday. This problem is bringing my
> >day to a standstill, so I'd appreciate how to fix this.
> >
> >I've tried clicking "yes" to accept the certificate for future sessions,
> >and done some Googling for solutions (like going into the Properties
> >window of my Eudora Personalities), but nothing has helped so far.
> >Suggestions? Thanks!
> >
> >-- Eric
>
> I saw this on the Eudora mailing list today:
>
> At 10:12 AM 4/8/2014 Charles E. Varner wrote:
> For approx. the last 12 hours, I've been unable to send or receive
> mail
> through Eudora. Each time I try, I receive a pop-up headed Server SSL
> Certificate Rejected.
>

> Reply by Katrina Knight:
>
> You haven't included enough information to diagnose your problem under
> normal circumstances, but looking at your address, I happen to know
> what the problem is. Fastmail implemented new SSL certificates last
> night. You need to tell Eudora to add the new certificate to the list
> of trusted certificates. In the personalities window, right-click on
> the personality and select "properties" Go to the "incoming mail" tab.
> Click on the "last SSL info" button at the bottom. Click on the
> "certificate manager" button. The certificate in question should come
> up selected. If there is a + button next to it, click on that. Repeat
> if necessary until you get to the bottom level. Select that
> certificate then click on the button to add it to the trusted
> certificates. That should solve the problem.

Katrina:

You just saved the day for me, too! I've been upset all day with emailed backed up on gmail and not getting delivered into my preferred email software of Eudora (do others still use this, or am I the last man standing?).

Thanks so much for your sage advice and wise counsel that has made my day!

Sincerely,

Rupin Dang
Wilderness Films India Ltd.
wildfilmsindia on Youtube

balwa...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2015, 12:56:08 PM7/29/15
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 4:23:20 AM UTC+8, er...@ericalbert.net wrote:
> Suddenly, my copy of Eudora 7.1.0.9, Paid Mode (running under Windows
> XP) is giving me an error message whenever I try to check my messages.
> (Details at end of this message.) I've been using Eudora with FastMail for
> years, and it was working fine yesterday. This problem is bringing my
> day to a standstill, so I'd appreciate how to fix this.
>
> I've tried clicking "yes" to accept the certificate for future sessions,
> and done some Googling for solutions (like going into the Properties
> window of my Eudora Personalities), but nothing has helped so far.
> Suggestions? Thanks!
>
> -- Eric

I faced the same problem today and Katrina's solution worked for me. Thanks a heap and really appreciate your posting. Have been using Eudora since 1994 and loving it for its excellent search facility.

Regards,
Balwant Singh
Singapore

mia.sh...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2015, 4:03:58 AM7/30/15
v1sa...@gmail.com gave a modification of Katrina's answer, on July 28, 2015.

I was trying to help a friend work this out, and just as I was about to give up I found your message. Thank you. That worked.

mia.sh...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2015, 4:06:59 AM7/30/15
Thank you ever so much. I was trying to help a friend fix this problem (via telephone, since I don't use Eudora), and just as I was about to give up I found this. It worked! Thank you very much.

mamoon...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2015, 4:11:16 AM7/30/15
In the personalities window, right-click on
the personality and select "properties" Go to the "incoming mail" tab.
Click on the "last SSL info" button at the bottom. Click on the
"certificate manager" button. The certificate in question should come
up selected. If there is a + button next to it, click on that. Repeat
if necessary until you get to the bottom level. Select that
certificate then click on the button to add it to the trusted
certificates. That should solve the problem.

Above mathod has worke. I could fix my Eudora 7, Thanks.

mro...@panzura.com

Jul 30, 2015, 1:30:23 PM7/30/15
On Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 2:16:04 AM UTC-5, GFC3 wrote:
> I followed Katrina's instructions. Thank you for this. Eventually cleared the problem. The little + sign is important. getting to the bottom one as the chain opens. I messed with it a couple of times. Including writing down the name at bottom of the chain. I think I highlighted and imported. When the problem kept happening I noticed there was now a different certificate name at the bottom of the + sign chain. Sorry my recall is dim, but I think I imported again. This time it worked. Problem started suddenly after years of Eudora. There was a little skull icon on the certificate text at the bottom of the + sign chain. I think I highlighted that whole skull text line. Yikes what does that skull icon mean? Eudora now downloading mail again is my result.
> http://compgroups.net/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/

Yup - I'm using a corporate flavor of Gmail - Eudora failures were intermittent at first, then mostly via the corporate VPN as if there was a proxy problem in the middle, then finally 100% failures everywhere. I guess that Gmail was updating certs in a rolling manner.

Thanks for this thread - expanded the Equifax cert which google uses, then the Geotrust cert, and finally found the Skull and Bones of the untrusted cert at the bottom - now it's working again! :)

pite...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2015, 3:05:30 AM7/31/15
Ajo Wissink and Katrina Knight,

May both of you live long, but places in heaven are reserved for you nevertheless :-). This problem cropped up in my Eudora 7.1.0.9 two days ago, and I was at my wits' end.

I am breathing normally now, after suffering since two days.

Cheers,
SK

On Wednesday, 9 April 2014 02:23:51 UTC+5:30, Ajo Wissink wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 13:23:20 -0700 (PDT), er...@ericalbert.net wrote:
>
> >Suddenly, my copy of Eudora 7.1.0.9, Paid Mode (running under Windows
> >XP) is giving me an error message whenever I try to check my messages.
> >(Details at end of this message.) I've been using Eudora with FastMail for
> >years, and it was working fine yesterday. This problem is bringing my
> >day to a standstill, so I'd appreciate how to fix this.
> >
> >I've tried clicking "yes" to accept the certificate for future sessions,
> >and done some Googling for solutions (like going into the Properties
> >window of my Eudora Personalities), but nothing has helped so far.
> >Suggestions? Thanks!
> >
> >-- Eric
>
> I saw this on the Eudora mailing list today:
>
> At 10:12 AM 4/8/2014 Charles E. Varner wrote:
> For approx. the last 12 hours, I've been unable to send or receive
> mail
> through Eudora. Each time I try, I receive a pop-up headed Server SSL
> Certificate Rejected.
>

> Reply by Katrina Knight:
>
> You haven't included enough information to diagnose your problem under
> normal circumstances, but looking at your address, I happen to know
> what the problem is. Fastmail implemented new SSL certificates last
> night. You need to tell Eudora to add the new certificate to the list
> of trusted certificates. In the personalities window, right-click on

scottk...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2015, 7:21:37 PM8/2/15
My problem is a little different: When it first started a week or so ago I had the previously described pop-up window showing the certificate with the "YES" box to proceed (which of course did not function) I had not come across this thread and solution. By the time I found this thread, the pop-up certificate was no longer appearing, just the Eudora pop-up error window. I have turned Eudora on and off many times and even rebooted the computer (Windows XP) several times. Because I can't get the certificate to pop-up, I can't get access to the Eudora Certificate Manager.

I've looked at the Windows XP certificate manager (Start, Run, certmgr.msc), but I don't see anything that looks like the description of the Eudora Certificate Manager earlier in this thread.

I've tried all the options for the SSL (never, if available, always, etc) with no last SSL showing up.

What is the actual name of the correct certificate?

Any ideas out there on how to crack this nut ??

Thanks

scottk...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2015, 7:54:25 PM8/2/15
OK I've fixed the problem with both my Gmail accounts coming through Eudora 7.1.0.9

I reviewed some earlier postings and noted an earlier post indicated that by using Required, Alternate Port you could bring up the certificate, with the click YES box. Then on next try you could get the the Prior SSL option and the Certificate Manager. I had a problem making the 'skull' go away, but was seeing the 'certificate' in the trusted list. An earlier poster had suggested that this would correct itself. In any case all is well. Thanks to all of you !!

By the way, as someone noted, this certificate expires in October 2015 !!

rsp...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2015, 8:43:12 PM8/2/15
Same here. Couldn't have said it any better than
pite...@gmail.com

Jul 31

bill...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2015, 6:02:53 PM8/6/15
I have been having this problem intermittently for months. Some days it just doesn't happen. MOST times, just waiting - - sometimes a few seconds, sometimes a few hours, will do the trick. Other times, just turning wireless on and off again will seem to do the trick. Other times, the solutions here seem to do the trick. But always, the problem comes back!

Furthermore, though at first it was only a problem with incoming mail, now it is a problem also with outgoing mail.

It is abundantly clear there is something very wrong on Google's end which Google needs to fix. But how do we get them to pay attention? Does anyone from Google monitor these threads?

dwil...@cox.net

Aug 6, 2015, 7:03:48 PM8/6/15

dwil...@cox.net

Aug 6, 2015, 7:13:29 PM8/6/15
On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 12:30:23 PM UTC-5, mro...@panzura.com wrote:
Interesting thing. New computer failed every effort to accept the certificate. Skull couldn't be cleared. Turned SSL off, then remembered that I had killed Norton because it trashed a windows 10 upgrade so I replaced it with Microsoft security essentials. The older two computers had been running Eudora before adding rhe MS product and they worked fine!

After tearing my hair out (what little I have) I disabled real time protection on MS Security essentials then and sent and received email on both personalities. This allowed the cert to be accepted. Turned MS real time protection back on and all is fine.
It is loading more messages.