error when trying to get mail from eudora after changing setting for g.mail

ldu...@bigsky.net

Aug 9, 2008, 3:02:23 PM8/9/08
Hello out there!
I followed to the LETTER the instructions on setting up my eudora
mail client in conjunction with gmail. When I atemp to check my mail,
I end up waiting for what feels like forever, only to get the message:
Error: reading from the network.
Cause: Eudora got tired of waiting for the server. (10100)
Any suggestions for me? I am using Eudora in light mode, but
supposably this shouldn't be part of the problem. Thanks!

Critterlover

John H Meyers

Aug 9, 2008, 4:12:20 PM8/9/08
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 14:02:23 -0500:

> I followed to the LETTER the instructions on setting up my eudora
> mail client in conjunction with gmail.

It's more useful to either state the settings you use,
or point to where we can see the actual instructions
that you are following, because just saying the above
tells no one what you are actually doing,
nor even what version of Eudora you are using,
nor whether you are using only the "Dominant" personality,
nor whether you are attempting to use POP or IMAP,
so it's no more precise than saying "something doesn't work,
what is it"?

> When I attempt to check my mail,

> I end up waiting for what feels like forever, only to get the message:
> Error: reading from the network.
> Cause: Eudora got tired of waiting for the server. (10100)
> Any suggestions for me? I am using Eudora in light mode, but

> supposedly this shouldn't be part of the problem.

Did you enable POP or IMAP at Gmail?

John H Meyers

Aug 9, 2008, 4:23:56 PM8/9/08
Also "check mail" once more, after the very first failure.

Bruno

Aug 9, 2008, 9:03:34 PM8/9/08
ldu...@bigsky.net wrote:

I believe the fact that you're in light mode is the problem. I think
you need to be in Paid mode for accessing Gmail.

-Bruno

John H Meyers

Aug 10, 2008, 5:00:15 PM8/10/08
There is no need for "Paid" mode to access Gmail;
the only features enabled only in "Paid" mode
are "Spamwatch," "Bosswatch,"
and the "X1" pre-indexed search engine:

"Difference between Paid and Sponsored Mode"
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2763hq.html

Latest features:
http://www.eudora.com/email/features/windows/

"Light" mode is limited to one personality,
which brings up a potential problem,
but there seems to be too little information given
to diagnose what's happening, which could even be
that POP/IMAP access might not have been enabled at Gmail.

So, a test in "Sponsored" mode should prove
whether or not one's settings (and Gmail's) are all correct,
and whether or not Eudora's "mode" makes any difference.

ebloch

Aug 10, 2008, 5:43:28 PM8/10/08
Here are the settings that work for me in Eudora 7.1.0.9:
- Outgoing:
User Name: ....@gmail.com = your entire email address
SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
Authenthentication Allowed: checked
Secure Sockets: Required, Alternate Port
- Incoming:
Server: pop.gmail.com
Configuration: POP
Passwords: checked
Secure Sockets: Required, Alternate Port

Eric

<ldu...@bigsky.net> wrote in message

Jeem

Aug 10, 2008, 7:42:04 PM8/10/08
ebloch's configuration worked for me. The only thing I had to do was
go to Gmail and go to my account settings to allow Gmail to be
accessed from Eudora. It even gives step by step instructions with
pictures. I'm using Eudora version 7.1.0.9 under Windows XP w/SP3.

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:43:28 -0400, "ebloch" <eric.a...@bloch.com>