Import Outlook PST files into Eudora OSE?

jpjas...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2013, 4:49:31 PM3/6/13
I have some Outlook PST files from my work computer and I'd like to import them into Eudora OSE so I can access these emails using Eudora. But OSE complains that Outlook is not the default mail app. Isn't that a bit ridiculous? Does it really expect me to install Outlook on this PC and switch the default mail app TWICE?

2nd problem is that I'm concerned that OSE hasn't had an update in a long time and seems to be a little flaky on Windows 8. Can I convert from OSE to straight Thunderbird and, if so, how? Can TB handle multiple email addresses in a single window like Eudora OSE?
Message has been deleted

John H Meyers

Mar 7, 2013, 4:10:00 AM3/7/13
On 3/6/2013 3:49 PM:

> I have some Outlook PST files from my work computer
> and I'd like to import them into Eudora OSE,
> But OSE complains that Outlook is not the default mail app.

Specifically:

"Either there is no default mail client
or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request.
Please run Microsoft Outlook
and set it as the default mail client."

> Isn't that a bit ridiculous?
> Does it really expect me to install Outlook on this PC
> and switch the default mail app TWICE?

The most "ridiculous" part of the cause of this problem
is Microsoft's original design of MAPI, plus the apparent
reliance upon MAPI by Thunderbird, which is what OSE is
a special version of.

Choose your best option:

o Beat your head against the wall.
o Complain about it in forums (don't forget Microsoft forums :)
o Don't import.
o Figure out some other way to import.
o Do whatever has to be done to permit a direct import by Thunderbird.

Quotes and references: (am I the only person who knows how to use Google?)

"Thunderbird requires that a compatible version of Outlook
be installed on the machine being used to import Microsoft outlook data.
Microsoft Outlook stores data in .pst files, which is a proprietary format.
Thunderbird does not understand that format, nor does it know that .pst files even exist.
So there is no Thunderbird import command
that lets you browse to the location of a .pst file,
nor can it import data if Outlook is not installed.
Normally you import by setting Outlook as the default email client,
and then use Tools -> Import -> Mail within Thunderbird.
This method uses SimpleMAPI calls to Outlook, and Outlook accesses
the contents of the personal folders (.pst) file"
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_.pst_files>

"In order to import messages from Outlook to Thunderbird,
Outlook must be the default mail client"
<https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/switching-thunderbird#w_switching-from-outlook-2007-to-thunderbird>

Note that A 60 day trial version of Outlook 2010 (or of Office Professional,
including Outlook) may be available from Microsoft, for computers that do not
already have either package installed, or that the import may be performed
on a computer already having Outlook installed.

Look under the "Windows" heading in the above-referenced Mozillazine article
for various potential alternative strategies and programs.

Now that we know "you can't get there from here" using Thunderbird,
it must be amazing that _original_ Eudora _is_ able
to simply be pointed to a PST file and then import from it!

By the way, most reports say that even _original_ Eudora (e.g. version 7.1)
still works on Intel-based Windows 8, FWIW.

> 2nd problem is that I'm concerned that OSE hasn't had an update in a long time
> and seems to be a little flaky on Windows 8.
> Can I convert from OSE to straight Thunderbird and, if so, how?

Unless a future version of Thunderbird changes the user data storage format,
no "conversion" is necessary -- OSE was apparently quietly abandoned
after its official first release (1.0), equivalent to Thunderbird 3.0.4,
and the current Thunderbird is simply a later version of the same software,
using the same files within the same kind of TB/OSE "profile"
(a "profile" is a single folder containing all related user files,
similar to original Eudora's "Data directory")

Therefore, when you install Thunderbird, it should automatically
find and use the files left in place by OSE, or the TB/OSE profile folder
which you may have transferred from one computer to another.

> Can TB handle multiple email addresses in a single window like Eudora OSE?

Yes, since there has been no fundamental change to TB/OSE architecture during this period.

jcen...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2017, 6:03:25 AM7/14/17
If you want to import Outlook PST file into Eudora then you need to convert PST file into MBOX format for Eudora. You can use PST to MBOX converter tool. https://www.softaken.com/pst-to-mbox-converter

dwanes...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2018, 7:39:57 AM2/20/18
Best way to convert PST to MBOX files, By using best third party PST to MBOX Conversion is efficient and professional utility. It allows users to Find/Select PST files and save them in desired destination. All of these files can be accessed in its main interface. It can perform conversion within few clicks and the target MBOX files can easily be accessed at specified location.The tool efficiently converts Outlook PST data to Apple Mail MBOX data. It also allows users to access all their emails to other mailbox items. Use Free Version & See Preview of All Convertible Emails :https://www.softknoll.com/pst-to-mbox-converter/

kelly...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2018, 5:50:38 AM8/20/18
According to my experience you can manually setup/convert to your PST file into MBOX format with the help PST to MBOX Converter Tool. I found to this solution on Google. Download here: https://www.gaintools.com/pst/mbox/

kevinm...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2018, 8:23:02 AM9/27/18
As I tested much software for PST to MBOX(Eudora) conversion and I found a tool very useful for me as I converted many files from it there is no problem in doing that you can also try that PST to MBOX converter:- http://www.pstfile.org/mbox/

nickw...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2018, 5:32:28 AM9/28/18
Outlook PST to MBOX Converter is an effective tool that enables advanced email conversion from Outlook PST to MBOX format. The software supports four major MBOX clients, including Thunderbird, Spicebird, SeaMonkey, and Netscape. With this utility, you can safely export bulk emails data from Outlook mailboxes to MBOX files. Visit here for more details:- https://www.mailvare.com/free-pst-mbox-converter/

vella...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2019, 8:12:55 AM4/5/19
Download PST to MBOX Converter and implement the complete migration process for solving the issue of how to import Outlook PST file into Eudora. Get more information- https://www.specytech.com/pst-to-mbox/