Please Help - 503 and 501 error codes!!!!!!

Neil Santos

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99
I recently upgraded my desktop and notebook computers from Win '95 to Win
'98. On my desktop I can still send and receive e-mail using Eudora 4.1
with no problems. On my notebook however, I can only receive e-mail, when I
try to send I receive the following error messages:

1) There has been an error transferring your mail. I said: MAIL
FROM:<nsantos@bendcable> and then the SMTP server said:
503 Send hello first
2) There has been an error transferring your mail. I said: HELO Neil
Santos and then the SMTP server said:
501 Invalid Address

I get the same error messages no matter what addresses I send to.
I have tripled checked my settings and my notebook settings match my desktop
settings exactly.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Eudora with no change.
I have tried upgrading to 4.2, but it didn't make a difference.
I can send and receive e-mail from my notebook using Outlook Express and
through Netscape Communicator's e-mail program so the SMTP server doesn't
appear to have a problem. I'm sure it's probaby a Window/Eudora conflict
but I have no idea what it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Since I'm not subscribed to this group if you have any ideas, please send
them to me directly at nsa...@bendcable.com.

Thank you for listening, god I hope I'm not stuck using Outlook ...........

Neil

Bob Reardon

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99
On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:07:58 -0700, "Neil Santos"
<nsa...@bendcable.com> wrote:

SNIP

>1) There has been an error transferring your mail. I said: MAIL
>FROM:<nsantos@bendcable> and then the SMTP server said:
> 503 Send hello first
>2) There has been an error transferring your mail. I said: HELO Neil
>Santos and then the SMTP server said:
> 501 Invalid Address

The email address in the From: line in the first error message above
is missing the .com . Could it be that you've entered the wrong info
under: "Tools | Options | Getting Started and Checking Mail" ? Did you
copy the eudora.ini file from the PC to the notebook or did you enter
it by hand? Try the info below if your sure that you've got the same
info on both computers.

Sometimes this is a problem with your ISP and sometimes it's not. The
following is an explanation of how I fixed my problem with Eudora Pro
3.0.5 on a PC running Windows 95 (this still applies to EP 4.x &
WIN9x).

When you send mail with Eudora it picks up either the "Host" name from
DNS Configuration in TCP/IP Properties if you use "Enable DNS" or in
my case, my ISP has users "Disable DNS", then Eudora uses the
"Computer Name" in the Identification Tab in Network.

Here comes the lengthy explanation of how I discovered this:

After reading how many web sites can pick all sorts of info out of
your computer just by visiting their site. I went into the WIN 95
Registry and removed all instances of my name, address and telephone
number and what I thought were unnecessary entries of my user id. I
had inadvertently changed the "Host" name from xxxxx to *. When I
tried to send mail from Eudora I got the "503 Polite people say HELO
first" error. I could see the * after the word HELO in the status
dialog box that pops up when you send mail from Eudora. I could send
mail from Agent, Netscape Mail and Outlook Express, all without the
503 warning.

Trying find the right * in WIN 95's Registry is impossible to do if
you don't know where to look as Find will come up with tons of *'s.
After many hours of not getting anywhere I called the tech support
guys at my ISP. They had not seen this before so they had me look in
all sorts of places. Once we found that "Host" name was * we changed
it to xxxxx and the mail went through with no problem. They said that
I should have "Disable DNS" checked so I did as they said and Eudora
picked up my "Computer Name" which was also my user id. I changed my
"Computer Name" to * and again got the 503 warning again. I've since
changed the "Computer Name" to xxxxxx and no longer get the warning.

None of the three other e-mail programs that I've mentioned will get
the 503 warning with any wrong info in the "Host" or "Computer Name".

[The x's above have been changed to protect the guilty ;-) ]

Bob Reardon
--
Remove "REMOVE_THIS" to reply via e-mail.

Want to get rid of Eudora's X-Sender and X-Mailer headers?
Just click on the link below for easy to follow instructions:
<http://www.geocities.com/bob_reardon/>