Re: Problem Running Eudora from a Thumb Drive

Message has been deleted

John H Meyers

Sep 24, 2010, 6:43:27 PM9/24/10
On 9/24/2010 2:51 PM, John wrote:

> If I launch Eudora from the thumb drive and then delete folders,
> it deletes them from my C: Drive default location.
> I don't see a path to that location in the Eudora.ini file

Settings file Eudora.ini is generally located
_inside the "Data" folder_ -- therefore,
Eudora has to _first_ decide what "Data" folder to use,
before it can even open the Eudora.ini file found in that folder.

That's why there's nothing _inside_ Eudora.ini saying where
the data folder is -- the "Data" folder is instead
the folder that _contains_ the Eudora.ini currently in use,
which had to be decided before Eudora.ini could even be opened.

> So how does Eudora find folders and their mailboxes when I launch it?

Theoretically, by following the logic described under the heading
"Precisely how Eudora determines its data folder"
in the "Readme.txt" file installed with Eudora's programs, also at:
http://www.eudora.com/download/eudora/windows/7.1/Readme.txt

Quoting:

1. If a folder is specified on Eudora's command line,
then Eudora uses that folder.

2. Otherwise, if the program folder
(that is, the folder where Eudora is installed)
contains a Eudora.ini file, then Eudora uses that folder.

3. Otherwise, if there's a DEudora.ini file in the program folder,
and if the [Settings] section of that file contains a DataFolder= setting,
and if the folder specified by that setting contains a Eudora.ini file,
then Eudora uses that folder [this is what became of your answer
to the installer, asking you where you wanted to store your mail]

4. Otherwise, if there is not a UseAppData=1 entry
in the [Settings] section of the DEudora.ini file in the program folder,
and if either of the registry keys listed below specifies a folder,
then Eudora uses that folder. (If both keys list a folder,
the first one takes precedence.)
\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Qualcomm\Eudora\CommandLine
\\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Qualcomm\Eudora\CommandLine\Current

5. Otherwise, if the system has version 4.71 or higher of Shell32.dll,
Eudora uses the current user's Application Data folder.

6. Otherwise, Eudora uses the program folder.

[End of quote]

This is obviously complicated, but you can simplify the matter
by ensuring that step #1 is always taken -- that is,
make sure that the command which launches Eudora
contains the explicit path to the desired "Data" folder.

This can be done either by preparing a "shortcut" to launch Eudora,
making sure that the (fully quoted) path to the "Data" folder
is in the command line ("Target" field of the shortcut's "properties")
or by "dragging and dropping" the desired folder directly onto Eudora.exe
(or onto a shortcut whose command line contains only the path of Eudora.exe)

The paths to Eudora.exe and to the "Data" folder may be specified
either starting with a "drive letter" or in "UNC path" syntax
for networked computers, e.g. \\computer_name\share_name\Eudora_folder

Since "Thumb Drives" can, in general, get assigned arbitrary "drive letters"
when they are plugged in, and since there's no other syntax available for them,
you must either be prepared to adjust your shortcut according to the
current drive letter assigned to the thumb drive, or else use the
"drag and drop" method, in which Windows dynamically appends the path,
using whatever drive letter is currently assigned
(in some cases you may need to open two "Explorer" windows
so that you can drag a folder icon from one window
to an icon representing Eudora.exe in another window).

There is exactly one possible significant setting in Eudora.ini
which may also itself specify an explicit path:
AutoReceiveAttachmentsDirectory=[some path]

If there is _no_ explicit path defined there (or no such line),
then attachments are by default saved in the "Attach" subfolder
of the "Data" folder, but if you have set any explicit path
for where attachments are stored, you'd better consider
revising that for use of a "thumb drive."

Yes, even the attachments path may be specified in "UNC" format,
for networked computers.

--

Message has been deleted

John H Meyers

Sep 24, 2010, 7:10:02 PM9/24/10
I forgot to suggest checking,
after you launch Eudora to use a "thumb drive,"
that Eudora is actually using the desired "Data" folder.

Verification is very simple:

o Launch Eudora as previously indicated.
o Click "Help" > "About Eudora"
o Verify that the "Data" path is where you want it to be.

Here's an image of what "Help" > "About Eudora" should look like:
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=44035

That image shows a default location on the computer,
whereas you should instead see a path for your "thumb drive."

You might, by the way, want to inhibit Eudora
from racing off at launch time to download new mail,
until you've made sure that new mail (and any attachments)
will get stored on the thumb drive,
by adjusting the following value, if found in Eudora.ini,
corresponding to the "Check for mail every [nn] minutes"
setting under "Checking Mail":

CheckForMailEvery=0

When set to zero minutes, Eudora will check for new mail
only when you manually request it; otherwise it automatically checks
immediately upon launch, as well as at intervals.

John H Meyers

Sep 24, 2010, 7:38:34 PM9/24/10
On 9/24/2010 6:04 PM, John wrote:

> Do you mean that I have to open the deudora.ini and edit THAT path
> so it knows where the eudora.ini is?

No -- I believe I explained how you can tell Eudora what "Data" folder to use
by launching it either with an _edited shortcut_ or by a "drag and drop" method.

By using either an _edited shortcut_ or a "drag and drop" method,
Eudora decides what "Data" folder to use at step #1 of its logic,
and _never goes to steps #3 and #4_ (where "Deudora.ini" would be consulted),
so there would be no point to editing "Deudora.ini"

The "Data" folder is the folder containing _all of your data_ in a single folder
(settings, mailboxes, attachments, addresses, filters -- everything!)

Some people have been using a combined folder for both programs and data;
this is okay for a thumb drive, although it should never be done
within the "Program Files" folder of either Vista or Windows 7,
due to aggressive resistance by Windows to writing any files in that area,
even if you are an "administrator" of your computer.

If you have been keeping Eudora's program files separate from user "data"
on the computer, I would of course continue to maintain that separation
on the thumb drive. For example, a main "Eudora" folder on the thumb drive
could contain two subfolders: "program files" and "data,"
or the thumb drive could, just like one's "C:" drive,
contain a "Program Files" tree for several applications,
and a separate "Users" tree for all users' data files.

If you use your thumb drive only with computers that already have
Eudora installed into Windows, then of course you need only
keep your "Data" folder on the thumb drive,
and could use the programs already on the computer,
however you feel it best to organize for your own needs.

--

Message has been deleted