Second Instance of Eudora 7

Citizen Bob

Apr 8, 2007, 2:47:02 PM4/8/07
I currently have one instance of Eudora 7 in C:\Eudora - both
executable and configuration files reside there and in subdirectories
off of that directory. Now I want to create a second instance of
Eudora so I can have completely separate email boxes.

I plan on using an encryption application to create the working
directory for the second instance of configuration files. That assumes
I only need one instance of the executables. But if I am forced to
create a sesecond set of executables along with the second set of
configuration files, I can live with that.

The encryption application maps drive letters to a hidden encrypted
file on disk. So I need to create this second instance in a drive
letter, say the W:\ root directory.

Comments, please.

--

"Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent
will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.

Message has been deleted

Anders Eklöf

Apr 8, 2007, 5:26:33 PM4/8/07
Dennis Lee Bieber <wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 18:47:02 GMT, sp...@uce.gov (Citizen Bob) declaimed
> the following in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows:

> > I currently have one instance of Eudora 7 in C:\Eudora - both
> > executable and configuration files reside there and in subdirectories
> > off of that directory. Now I want to create a second instance of
> > Eudora so I can have completely separate email boxes.
> >

> You don't state what OS... For some versions now, a clean Eudora
> install leaves the executable in c:\program files\Qualcomm\Eudora (as I
> recall -- I'm not going to scroll through directories to confirm) and
> puts USER configuration files (and mailboxes, etc.) under c:\documents
> and settings\username\application data\qualcomm\eudora

*Unless* the installer detects a previous installation - in the case it
defaults to the settings for that installation. You are always free to
specify other paths for the app, the user directory or both.

> I think Eudora 4 was the last that defaulted everything to the
> install directory (which, on unprotected W9x, was acceptable -- but
> WinXP normally locks program files to admin modification only)

> > I plan on using an encryption application to create the working
> > directory for the second instance of configuration files. That assumes
> > I only need one instance of the executables. But if I am forced to
> > create a sesecond set of executables along with the second set of
> > configuration files, I can live with that.
> >

> You should just need a new shortcut with options added to specify
> the location of the configuration/mailboxes.

It's easily done by defining a different user directory for the second
instance in the installer. Yes, I know you don't have to make a new
installation, but it may be easier that fiddling with shortcut
properties. Just remember to rename the new desktop shortcut before
saving it to avoid overwritng any existing shortcut.

--
I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour

Daniel Jacobson

Apr 8, 2007, 5:33:22 PM4/8/07
In article <46192208...@news-server.houston.rr.com>, sp...@uce.gov says...

> I currently have one instance of Eudora 7 in C:\Eudora - both
> executable and configuration files reside there and in subdirectories
> off of that directory. Now I want to create a second instance of
> Eudora so I can have completely separate email boxes.

That depends if you want to run them at the same time.
If so, then the Owner.Lok file will prevent that. It is created
when Eudora started, and is deleted when Eudora is shut down.
This is for your own good to prevent mailbox corruption.

If you will NEVER run both instances at the same time, then you are OK.
--
Over and Out
Daniel Jacobson

Message has been deleted

John H Meyers

Apr 8, 2007, 9:59:46 PM4/8/07
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:47:02 -0500, Citizen Bob wrote:

> I currently have one instance of Eudora 7 in C:\Eudora - both
> executable and configuration files reside there and in subdirectories
> off of that directory. Now I want to create a second instance of
> Eudora so I can have completely separate email boxes.
>
> I plan on using an encryption application to create the working
> directory for the second instance of configuration files. That assumes
> I only need one instance of the executables. But if I am forced to
> create a sesecond set of executables along with the second set of
> configuration files, I can live with that.
>
> The encryption application maps drive letters to a hidden encrypted
> file on disk. So I need to create this second instance in a drive
> letter, say the W:\ root directory.

Presumably you either decrypt the other mail folder before use,
or you enable the OS (and all programs) to transparently
access it.

At any rate, one installed Eudora.exe may be invoked in parallel
for any number of different mail folders at the same time
(I use up to four or five at the same time, with no problem).

See the Eudora.ini help
for instructions on creating different shortcuts
for starting Eudora with different mail folders.

If you attempt to start Eudora twice on the same computer
with the same shortcut, the duplicate request is simply ignored
(the "owner.lok" file serves more to protect multiple users
of shared mail folders, or to annoy you after any crash :)

-[ ]-

Anders Eklöf

Apr 9, 2007, 4:40:46 AM4/9/07
Dennis Lee Bieber <wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 21:26:33 GMT, andekl_no@saaf_spam.se (Anders Eklöf)

> declaimed the following in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows:
>

> > *Unless* the installer detects a previous installation - in the case it
>

> Hence my mention of "clean" (no remains of any other install)

Oops! Missed that.
Probably because I noticed the OP *specifically* asks about a second
instance.

Citizen Bob

Apr 9, 2007, 4:55:00 AM4/9/07
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 20:59:46 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>At any rate, one installed Eudora.exe may be invoked in parallel
>for any number of different mail folders at the same time

I did not realize that as a possibility. If I can make it work, then
that is the way to go. I create a second location that is capable of
being encrypted at the filesystem level and point Eudora to it with a
second shortcut.

>See the Eudora.ini help
>for instructions on creating different shortcuts
>for starting Eudora with different mail folders.

Where can I find this "Eudora.ini" help?

>If you attempt to start Eudora twice on the same computer
>with the same shortcut, the duplicate request is simply ignored
>(the "owner.lok" file serves more to protect multiple users
>of shared mail folders, or to annoy you after any crash :)

I would not need a second invocation if I can encrypt the directory
that contains specified mailboxes.

Citizen Bob

Apr 9, 2007, 5:37:06 AM4/9/07
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 19:52:04 GMT, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> I currently have one instance of Eudora 7 in C:\Eudora - both
>> executable and configuration files reside there and in subdirectories
>> off of that directory. Now I want to create a second instance of
>> Eudora so I can have completely separate email boxes.

> You don't state what OS...

Win2K/SP4.

>For some versions now, a clean Eudora
>install leaves the executable in c:\program files\Qualcomm\Eudora (as I
>recall -- I'm not going to scroll through directories to confirm) and
>puts USER configuration files (and mailboxes, etc.) under c:\documents
>and settings\username\application data\qualcomm\eudora

Eudora 7.1 allowed the user to specify those locations. I chose
C:\Euroda because that where Eudora 3.0.5 was set up.

> You should just need a new shortcut with options added to specify
>the location of the configuration/mailboxes.

John H Meyers

Apr 9, 2007, 9:30:58 AM4/9/07
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 03:55:00 -0500, Citizen Bob wrote:

>> See the Eudora.ini help
>> for instructions on creating different shortcuts
>> for starting Eudora with different mail folders.
>
> Where can I find this "Eudora.ini" help?

There is a section "EUDORA.INI Settings File"
in both built-in help and the PDF manual,
under which is "Name and Location of the INI File,"
which describes the command lines
to be used in program shortcuts.

By answering all these "where is it?" questions,
I think I must be qualified by now
to be a reference librarian :)

-[ ]-

Citizen Bob

Apr 9, 2007, 11:25:55 AM4/9/07
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 08:30:58 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>> Where can I find this "Eudora.ini" help?

>There is a section "EUDORA.INI Settings File"
>in both built-in help and the PDF manual,
>under which is "Name and Location of the INI File,"
>which describes the command lines
>to be used in program shortcuts.

I looked up the INI information in the Manual I got with Eudora.

However I did not find any explicit mention of how to point to the
mailbox directory - only how to point to the INI directory. I suppose
it is the same but I have not had time to check it out.

If my new mailbox directory is in W:\, then will Eudora find the
mailboxes if I use

C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe w:\Eudora.ini

Tim Streater

Apr 9, 2007, 12:08:14 PM4/9/07
In article <461a4e9e....@news-server.houston.rr.com>,
sp...@uce.gov (Citizen Bob) wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 08:30:58 -0500, "John H Meyers"
> <jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
>
> >> Where can I find this "Eudora.ini" help?
>
> >There is a section "EUDORA.INI Settings File"
> >in both built-in help and the PDF manual,
> >under which is "Name and Location of the INI File,"
> >which describes the command lines
> >to be used in program shortcuts.
>
> I looked up the INI information in the Manual I got with Eudora.
>
> However I did not find any explicit mention of how to point to the
> mailbox directory - only how to point to the INI directory. I suppose
> it is the same but I have not had time to check it out.
>
> If my new mailbox directory is in W:\, then will Eudora find the
> mailboxes if I use
>
> C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe w:\Eudora.ini

Seems to me you lot a making a meal out of this.

Can't you just copy the prefs file from the existing setup to a new
location, and then double click on that new copy of the prefs file?
Eudora will then proceed to make all the files it needs in the new
location.

Citizen Bob

Apr 9, 2007, 3:11:57 PM4/9/07
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 17:08:14 +0100, Tim Streater
<timst...@waitrose.com> wrote:

>> C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe w:\Eudora.ini

>Seems to me you lot a making a meal out of this.

Not really. Someone mentioned the INI help section, so I am following
up.

>Can't you just copy the prefs file

What "prefs file"?

Tim Streater

Apr 10, 2007, 5:01:49 AM4/10/07
In article <461a8fc3...@news-server.houston.rr.com>,
sp...@uce.gov (Citizen Bob) wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 17:08:14 +0100, Tim Streater
> <timst...@waitrose.com> wrote:
>
> >> C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe w:\Eudora.ini
>
> >Seems to me you lot a making a meal out of this.
>
> Not really. Someone mentioned the INI help section, so I am following
> up.
>
> >Can't you just copy the prefs file
>
> What "prefs file"?

Now back at work after the Easter break, I tried this. I copied
eudora.ini to a new folder, and also for simplicity put a shortcut to
the Eudora application there. Then I dropped the .ini file on the
shortcut. Eudora starts up a new instance, which you can then configure,
register, add mailboxes to from elesewhere.

Meanwhile my own eudora instance (on the same machine) was unaffected.

-- tim

John H Meyers

Apr 10, 2007, 5:23:04 PM4/10/07
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:25:55 -0500, Citizen Bob wrote:

> If my new mailbox directory is in W:\,
> then will Eudora find the mailboxes if I use
>
> C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe w:\Eudora.ini

This should work, as the various forms of the command line are:

(generally each item on the command line is a complete path,
and can be specified either starting with drive letters
or as "UNC" paths to other computers, e.g. \\computer\folder\...)

(a) ...Eudora.exe mail_folder ini_file
(b) ...Eudora.exe mail_folder
(c) ...Eudora.exe ini_file

In case (b) [the most commonly used],
the ini_file is assumed to be Eudora.ini within the specified folder.

In case (c) [if ini_file is a complete path] the mail folder
is assumed to be the folder containing the ini_file.

Case (a) or (c) can be used to specify alternate ini_files
(rarely used)

Eudora's "tutorial" illustrates the common case (b):
http://eudora.com/techsupport/tutorials/win_multiple.html

More fancy gimmicks (default searches, environment variable, etc.)
are spelled out near page 446 of the 7.1 User Guide PDF file,
but one can always remove uncertainty and point Eudora
to exactly the folder which you want to use,
by simply making it explicit in the shortcut.

-[ ]-

Daniel Jacobson

Apr 11, 2007, 10:13:52 PM4/11/07

> I currently have one instance of Eudora 7 in C:\Eudora - both

> executable and configuration files reside there and in subdirectories
> off of that directory. Now I want to create a second instance of
> Eudora so I can have completely separate email boxes.
>
> I plan on using an encryption application to create the working
> directory for the second instance of configuration files. That assumes
> I only need one instance of the executables. But if I am forced to
> create a sesecond set of executables along with the second set of
> configuration files, I can live with that.
>
> The encryption application maps drive letters to a hidden encrypted
> file on disk. So I need to create this second instance in a drive
> letter, say the W:\ root directory.
>
> Comments, please.

Here's a 3 tiered solution if you want separate mail directories
for each user.

Use command line parameters to your preference.

C:\Eudora7\Eudora.exe Parm1 Parm2
Parm1 = directory/folder for the data files
Parm2 = the Eudora.ini file including a full path to it

You will need three icons, one for each E-Mail account if you want
to have separate IN, OUT and TRASH mailboxes for each.

Create the properties/shortcuts to:

Icon 1 for Dad
C:\Eudora7\Eudora.exe C:\Dadsmail C:\Dadsmail\eudora.ini

Icon 2 for Mom
C:\Eudora7\Eudora.exe C:\Momsmail C:\Momsmail\eudora.ini

Icon 3 for Son
C:\Eudora7\Eudora.exe C:\Sonsmail C:\Sonsmail\eudora.ini

Notes:
1. In the WORKING DIRECTORY field (in WIN95 it's the START IN field),
set the path to that Eudora's data directory (second parameter)
2. The third parameter is optional in the cases above because
Eudora will look for the Eudora.ini file in the second parameters
directory/folder. You will have to define one for each person.
3. If you have a long file or directory name or a name with embedded
spaces, you will need Quotes around the parms.

Try:
Multiple Users/Mailboxes (Windows)
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/tutorials/win_multiple.html

Citizen Bob

Apr 12, 2007, 7:00:06 AM4/12/07

Let me attempt to summarize for my case, namely I want two separate
locations on my filesystem for two separate instances of the
configuration but only one instance of the executable.

So I install the first instance in C:\Eudora, which puts everything in
C:\Eudora and builds an icon pointing to that configuration. Since
C:\Eudora is also the working directory, the command line is:

Icon #1: C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe

There is no need for additional parameters.

Now it's time to make the second working directory, which I am going
to create at W:\Eudora. the command line is:

Icon #2: C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe W:\Eudora

I suppose this new directory will have everything but "Eudora.exe"
since I do not need it there. I will always launch Eudora from the
first directory, namely C:\Eudora.

Does this fulfill what you believe to be a workable solution for my
case?

John H Meyers

Apr 12, 2007, 5:26:30 PM4/12/07
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 06:00:06 -0500, Citizen Bob wrote:

> Icon #1: C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe
> There is no need for additional parameters.

If you are not explicit in pointing to the mail folder,
you are giving Eudora a chance to "think for itself,"
which involves a set of rules which *may* select
the mail folder you actually want anyway,
but my own preference is not to rely on luck;
I *always* specify the target folder anyway.

> Icon #2: C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe W:\Eudora
>
> I suppose this new directory will have everything but "Eudora.exe"
> since I do not need it there. I will always launch Eudora from the
> first directory, namely C:\Eudora.

The "programs" directory contains a lot more than just "Eudora.exe,"
so there should be a lot less in your new folder.

I personally prefer to separate out any old "legacy" mixture of programs
with data, and move mail elsewhere, so that backups, etc.
are henceforth of data alone, but this remains optional
(except for non-administrators still using "C:\Program Files\...")

-[ ]-

Daniel Jacobson

Apr 12, 2007, 10:08:11 PM4/12/07
In article <461e0eb4...@news-server.houston.rr.com>, sp...@uce.gov says...

> Let me attempt to summarize for my case, namely I want two separate
> locations on my filesystem for two separate instances of the
> configuration but only one instance of the executable.
>
> So I install the first instance in C:\Eudora, which puts everything in
> C:\Eudora and builds an icon pointing to that configuration. Since
> C:\Eudora is also the working directory, the command line is:
>
> Icon #1: C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe
>
> There is no need for additional parameters.
>
> Now it's time to make the second working directory, which I am going
> to create at W:\Eudora. the command line is:
>
> Icon #2: C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe W:\Eudora
>
> I suppose this new directory will have everything but "Eudora.exe"
> since I do not need it there. I will always launch Eudora from the
> first directory, namely C:\Eudora.
>
> Does this fulfill what you believe to be a workable solution for my
> case?

Try:
You do not need any Eudora Files in W:\Eudora, only the Data
files will reside and be Created / Modified / Deleted there.
Eudora will then by default look for the Eudora.ini file in
W:\Eudora unless you specify otherwise.

You only need to install Eudora once in C:\Eudora Only.

Citizen Bob

Apr 13, 2007, 7:31:11 AM4/13/07
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:26:30 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>> Icon #1: C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe
>> There is no need for additional parameters.

>If you are not explicit in pointing to the mail folder,
>you are giving Eudora a chance to "think for itself,"
>which involves a set of rules which *may* select
>the mail folder you actually want anyway,

According to the Manual, if the parameter is missing, Eudora will
treat the working directory as the data directory.

Accrodingly "C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe C:\Eudora" is redundant. But it
can't hurt to include the parameter.

>> Icon #2: C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe W:\Eudora

>> I suppose this new directory will have everything but "Eudora.exe"
>> since I do not need it there. I will always launch Eudora from the
>> first directory, namely C:\Eudora.

>The "programs" directory contains a lot more than just "Eudora.exe,"
>so there should be a lot less in your new folder.

What files and subdirectories must be present in the second instance
of the Eudora data directory?

Maybe it would be easier to state the files/subdirectories to remove
from a full copy of the Eudora directory.

Citizen Bob

Apr 13, 2007, 7:33:45 AM4/13/07
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 02:08:11 -0000, dani...@iadfw.net (Daniel
Jacobson) wrote:

> You do not need any Eudora Files in W:\Eudora

What are these "Eudora Files" and what about "Eudora Subdirectories"
(e.g., Plugins)?

IOW, if I make a full copy of the original C:\Eudora directory and all
its subdirectories at W:\Eudora, what would I remove to meet the
specifications stated above?

John H Meyers

Apr 14, 2007, 3:54:54 AM4/14/07
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 06:31:11 -0500, Citizen Bob wrote:

> According to the Manual, if the [command line] parameter is missing,

> Eudora will treat the working directory as the data directory.

I can't find the phrase "working directory" in a PDF search;
what page of what document says that? And does "working directory"
mean the separate "start in" property of the shortcut?

Well, neither the manuals nor the Qualcomm "Knowledge base"
seem to have the following info, which hides *only* in the
"Readme.txt" in the Eudora programs folder!
(the installer asks us just once if we'd like to read it,
and if not, it just abandons us to a life of eternal wandering :)

It is also found (with a nasty change that drops Win98/ME from the
"minimum requirements" section of the version installed with programs)
at http://www.eudora.com/download/eudora/windows/7.1/Readme.txt

[Quoted from "Readme.txt"]

___Precisely how Eudora determines its data folder___

Below is the exact sequence of how Eudora determines the folder
in which to keep its data files. This applies in all versions
of Windows. Most users will have no need of this gory detail,
but here it is, just in case:

1. If a folder [2nd path] is specified on Eudora's command line,
then Eudora uses that folder.

2. Otherwise, if the program folder (that is, the folder
where Eudora is installed) contains a Eudora.ini file,
then Eudora uses that folder.

3. Otherwise, if there's a DEudora.ini file in the program folder,
and if the [Settings] section of that file contains a DataFolder
setting, and if the folder specified by that setting contains
a Eudora.ini file, then Eudora uses that folder.

4. Otherwise, if there is not a UseAppData=1 entry in the [Settings]
section of the DEudora.ini file in the program folder, and if
either of the registry keys listed below specifies a folder,
then Eudora uses that folder. (If both keys list a folder,
the first one takes precedence.)
\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Qualcomm\Eudora\CommandLine
\\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Qualcomm\Eudora\CommandLine\Current

5. Otherwise, if the system has version 4.71 or higher of Shell32.dll,
Eudora uses the current user's Application Data folder.

6. Otherwise, Eudora uses the program folder.

As suggested by step 5 above, Eudora's ability to use your Application
Data folder really hinges on whether your version is 4.71 or higher of
Shell32.dll. This is always the case if you're running Windows 2000 & XP,
and it's also true if you've installed version 4.0 or higher of
Microsoft Internet Explorer and included the integrated shell
in that installation.

[End of quote from "Readme.txt"]

Since I'm not a lawyer (which seems to be the training required
to even wade thru stuff like the above, no less remember it)
I just elect to specify the data folder path in every shortcut :)

> Accordingly "C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe C:\Eudora" is redundant.

> But it can't hurt to include the parameter.

Yeah, with 100GB hard disks for less than $100,
the cost of storing the full path isn't that much :)
[actually zero, since disk storage is allocated
in much larger minimum chunks, which go wasted if not filled]

> What files and subdirectories must be present in the second instance
> of the Eudora data directory?
>
> Maybe it would be easier to state the files/subdirectories to remove
> from a full copy of the Eudora directory.

"To make a sculpture of a horse, just take a block of granite,
and remove anything which doesn't look like a horse" :)

One idea for positively separating the "programs" from "data"
is to install the Eudora *program* again,
but this time put it in a more normal location,
like "C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora"
while choosing another more normal place for the
data files, like "User's application data folder"
(don't worry, you won't have to actually use it,
but be sure *not* to let Eudora use the new *programs*
folder as a *data* folder, or else you'll be
"right back to square one all over again" :)

When installation is complete, you will have
*only* program-related files in the new "programs" folder
(so you'll know exactly what belongs there), and
if you proceed to use a shortcut to your previously
unused "application data folder" and just go through
the motions of setting up a new options file in it,
you will also get a good idea of what belongs in the "data" folder.

Caution -- do not directly start Eudora.exe in the program folder,
lest it create new "data" objects there (but any such objects
would get current modification dates, and you could then
know to remove them, except for the two files mentioned below).

Common sense will no doubt resolve any subsequent questions
(files dated later than the October 2006 release of 7.1.0.9,
with exception of program-folder files "deudora.ini" and
"Eudora.GID" are evidently "data files," for example,
since not much besides installing (which modifies "deudora.ini")
and opening Help (which creates "Eudora.GID") is likely
to modify or create other program-folder files.

Any files which appear identically in both the new "programs" folder
and your data folder(s) are most likely to belong only
in the "programs" folder, and files which appear *only*
in your "data" folder evidently belong in the "data" folder
(unless they are obviously remnants of an ancient version of Eudora).

Both locations will contain a "plugins" directory,
but these will have entirely different content in each location
(generally the programs folder contains actual plugins,
the data folder contains working files used by plugins).

If you purge any empty data sub-folders
which are actually needed for anything,
Eudora will simply re-create them.

Other hints to identify data folder files:
http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1602hq.html

-[ ]-

Citizen Bob

Apr 14, 2007, 12:11:57 PM4/14/07
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 02:54:54 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>> According to the Manual, if the [command line] parameter is missing,
>> Eudora will treat the working directory as the data directory.

>I can't find the phrase "working directory" in a PDF search;
>what page of what document says that? And does "working directory"
>mean the separate "start in" property of the shortcut?

They are the same thing. "Working Directory" comes from MS-DOS and C
Language. It actually came from UNIX first. The UNIX command "pwd"
means "print working directory", that is, the full path of the current
working directory (CWD).

When you CD to a directory, that is the Working Directory, so it is
the same as the "Start In" directory. The importance is that you do
not need an explicit entry for the CWD in the PATH statement to
execute programs in the CWD.

>One idea for positively separating the "programs" from "data"
>is to install the Eudora *program* again,

I will try that, but only if it does not trash my current
installation.

>but this time put it in a more normal location,
>like "C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora"

C:\Program Files is not a "normal" location. It is a bastard child of
Microsoft. The really annoying thing is that it requires quotes in
MS-DOS because the space is otherwise interpreted as a delimiter. I
never put anything there unless forced to.

John H Meyers

Apr 14, 2007, 10:21:17 PM4/14/07
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 11:11:57 -0500, Citizen Bob wrote:

>>> According to the Manual, if the [command line] parameter is missing,
>>> Eudora will treat the working directory as the data directory.
>
>> I can't find the phrase "working directory" in a PDF search;
>> what page of what document says that? And does "working directory"
>> mean the separate "start in" property of the shortcut?

> They are the same thing. "Working Directory" comes from MS-DOS...

I still can't find what you are referring to in the manual,
although I did find that long quoted treatise (saying something
entirely different) in the "Readme.txt" file. Even that treatise
neglected to factor in the Eudora "environment variable,"
which is typical for lawyers -- however much verbiage,
they still omit matters of fundamental importance :)

>> One idea for positively separating the "programs" from "data"
>> is to install the Eudora *program* again,

> I will try that,
> but only if it does not trash my current installation.

Backup (or zip) everything in sight first,
then breathe a sigh of relief when nothing happens :)

>> but this time put it in a more normal location,
>> like "C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora"
>
> C:\Program Files is not a "normal" location. It is a bastard child of
> Microsoft. The really annoying thing is that it requires quotes in
> MS-DOS because the space is otherwise interpreted as a delimiter.

You don't have to quote anything during the "install" procedure;
neither do you need to do so when causing shortcuts to be made
via "send to desktop" or copying other shortcuts -- everything
is automatically done right by built-in operations,
so really, "where's the beef?" ;-)

> I never put anything there unless forced to.

That takes a lot of work, just to avoid :)

-[ ]-

John H Meyers

Apr 14, 2007, 11:53:16 PM4/14/07
Want another interesting possibility, Citizen Bob?

You could first back up your existing combined
"programs+data" folder, and then *uninstall* Eudora;
if this does what it's supposed to do, it should
remove the program components but leave the data
(if any problem, you still have your backup).

*Then* you could re-install into a more normal location
(like the default, although of course a horrible choice :)

I would still choose "User's application data folder"
for the default mail folder (you will actually use
new shortcuts to other folders later on,
so this causes no bother, but it does create normal
defaults and separate the programs from the data,
which is what even you are asking for :)

-[ ]-

Citizen Bob

Apr 15, 2007, 10:13:29 AM4/15/07
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 22:53:16 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>Want another interesting possibility, Citizen Bob?
>
>You could first back up your existing combined
>"programs+data" folder, and then *uninstall* Eudora;
>if this does what it's supposed to do, it should
>remove the program components but leave the data

I would copy the remaining data directory to a new directory and use
it for my second instance.

>(if any problem, you still have your backup).

The uninstall may have hacked the Registry, so merely copying the
backup to the original directory is not the same as doing a reinstall.

However if something went wrong, I would reinstall and then copy the
backup to the install directory. That way the Registry would be
correct.

>*Then* you could re-install into a more normal location
>(like the default, although of course a horrible choice :)

I would reinstall to the original location thereby recovering my
original installation.

Han

Apr 15, 2007, 10:36:56 AM4/15/07
If something goes wrong with an install, remember the trick to clean the
ini file of all but essential info. Go to Tools, then hold down shift and
control keys while clicking options.

--
Best regards
Han

Citizen Bob

Apr 15, 2007, 10:52:11 AM4/15/07
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:36:56 GMT, Han <nob...@nospam.not> wrote:

>If something goes wrong with an install, remember the trick to clean the
>ini file of all but essential info. Go to Tools, then hold down shift and
>control keys while clicking options.

Is that spelled out in the Eudora Manual?

Please give an example.

--

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."
--Niels Bohr

John H Meyers

Apr 15, 2007, 10:52:26 AM4/15/07
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 09:13:29 -0500, Citizen Bob wrote:

> uninstall may hack the Registry

Eudora does minimal registry stuff,
almost completely dynamic (execution time)
as far as I can see, but by all means
back up your whole registry too :)

There's only been one grouch about one DLL
for Windows shell, and no demonstration
that it has ever caused run-time problem for Eudora;
everyone else is relocating Eudora all the time,
apparently never even causing one hiccup.

I'm personally even less worried for Registry use
by Eudora as for Winzip (9.1-SR1), which means
"you gotta be kidding!" :)

> I would reinstall to the original location thereby
> recovering my original installation.

Good idea; move the data elsewhere instead.

We are moving an entire building on our campus;
now *that's* moving! (and it probably won't even
break a window -- well, there actually aren't any,
just vents, about equal to Eudora's use of registry :)

-[ ]-

John H Meyers

Apr 15, 2007, 11:48:06 AM4/15/07
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 09:52:11 -0500, Citizen Bob wrote:

> "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."

> [re its attribution]

I think the "Fix curly quotes" option is needed here :)

http://letterfromhere.blogspot.com/2006/12/bohr-leads-berra-but-yogi-closing-gap.html
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0502a&L=ads-l&P=18405
http://www.quotationspage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5052&sid=66f2a4502a3b27cd88110fc4486a664a

Whom do you think said:

"There are three kinds of lies:
ordinary lies, damned lies, and statistics" ?

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:36:56 GMT, Han wrote:
>> If something goes wrong with an install...

>> Go to Tools, then hold down shift and
>> control keys while clicking options.
>
> Is that spelled out in the Eudora Manual?

No, at: http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1929hq.html

When you move your data folder elsewhere, however,
and are merely reinstalling the same exact version of Eudora,
regardless of where the *programs* are located,
I would be concerned with only one important *data* setting
which, if present, is location-dependent:

X-Eudora-Option:AutoReceiveAttachmentsDirectory

-----

Curly quotes, continued:

http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/maths/histstat/lies.htm
(very recently updated)

Other:
http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/9358.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies%2C_Damn_Lies_and_Statistics

"The Median Isn't the Message" -- Stephen Jay Gould

Citizen Bob

Apr 15, 2007, 11:53:36 AM4/15/07
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 09:52:26 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>> uninstall may hack the Registry
>
>Eudora does minimal registry stuff,
>almost completely dynamic (execution time)
>as far as I can see,

You need to run "regedit" and do a "Find" on the keyword "eudora".
There are many entries in the Registry, some of them critical.

--

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Citizen Bob

Apr 15, 2007, 12:17:06 PM4/15/07
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 10:48:06 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 09:52:11 -0500, Citizen Bob wrote:
>
>> "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."
>> [re its attribution]
>
>I think the "Fix curly quotes" option is needed here :)
>

>http://letterfromhere.blogspot.com/2006/12/bohr-leads-berra-but-yogi-clo=
>sing-gap.html

+++
Page Not Found
The requested URL was not found on this server.
+++

I put the usual " --" as the first line.

>Whom do you think said:

You mean "Who do you think said it."

>"There are three kinds of lies:
>ordinary lies, damned lies, and statistics" ?

Disraeli said it and Mark Twain popularized it.

>> Is that spelled out in the Eudora Manual?

>No, at: http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1929hq.html

Cool.

>"The Median Isn't the Message" -- Stephen Jay Gould

"The medium is the message."
--Marshall McLuhan

I remember reading his arguments for that in his book. He claimed that
TV is the message because the pixels in the TV screen have a special
effect on the brain.

McLuhan is a perfect example of how the Principle of the Vague Theory,
originally enunciated by physicist Richard Feynmann in his "Lectures".
According to Feynmann, non-scientific speculation suffers from the
problem that theories can be constructed so vaguely that their
contradictions are also valid.

He gives an example about a police psychologist who proclaims that the
reason a boy burglarized a house was because he grew up in poverty.
When confronted with the fact that the boy came from an affluent
family, she then proclaimed that the reason he burglarized a house was
because he was spoiled by affluence.

The critical difference between science and non-science is that
science is based on the Worldview of Realism whereas non-science is
based on the Worldview of Idealism. Realism is objective, consistent,
ontological whereas Idealism is subjective, inconsistent and
epistemological.

--

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."

--Niels Bohr

John H Meyers

Apr 15, 2007, 12:34:05 PM4/15/07
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 10:53:36 -0500, Citizen Bob wrote:

> You need to run "regedit" and do a "Find" on the keyword "eudora".
> There are many entries in the Registry, some of them critical.

Been there, done that, no problem (have you seen my note
re every opening of Eudora dynamically registering what it needs?)

See next post in "EuShlExt.dll" thread
for keen insights from Katrina Knight
about Eudora and Registry.

I bet we all miss Katrina!

-[ ]-

John H Meyers

Apr 15, 2007, 2:06:54 PM4/15/07
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:17:06 -0500:

>> http://letterfromhere.blogspot.com/2006/12/bohr-leads-berra-but-yogi-clo=
>> sing-gap.html
>
> +++
> Page Not Found
> The requested URL was not found on this server.
> +++

Newsreader problem -- again, yours still doesn't grok
(but you can fix the URL manually)

>> "There are three kinds of lies:
>> ordinary lies, damned lies, and statistics" ?
>
> Disraeli said it and Mark Twain popularized it.

So much for checking references, even when included in post :)

> "The medium is the message."
> --Marshall McLuhan

> McLuhan is a perfect example of how the Principle of the Vague Theory,

> originally enunciated by physicist Richard Feynmann in his "Lectures".
> According to Feynmann, non-scientific speculation suffers from the
> problem that theories can be constructed so vaguely that their
> contradictions are also valid.

Like in Quantum Mechanics? ;-)

> He gives an example about a police psychologist who proclaims that the
> reason a boy burglarized a house was because he grew up in poverty.
> When confronted with the fact that the boy came from an affluent
> family, she then proclaimed that the reason he burglarized a house was
> because he was spoiled by affluence.

Like in politics?

> The critical difference between science and non-science is that
> science is based on the Worldview of Realism whereas non-science is
> based on the Worldview of Idealism. Realism is objective, consistent,
> ontological whereas Idealism is subjective, inconsistent and
> epistemological.

Life itself is essentially subjective,
being as it's our inner experience which ultimately guides
all values, rather than inert material.

Opposites do coexist, each valid in its own perspective.

"I am enthusiastic over humanity's extraordinary
and sometimes very timely ingenuities.
If you are in a shipwreck and all the boats are gone,
a piano top buoyant enough to keep you afloat that comes along
makes a fortuitous life preserver. But this is not to say that
the best way to design a life preserver is in the form of a piano top.

I think that we are clinging to a great many piano tops
in accepting yesterday's fortuitous contrivings
as constituting the only means for solving a given problem."

R. Buckminster Fuller
http://reactor-core.org/operating-manual-for-spaceship-earth.html

-[ ]-